IGNORED

Retro Freak firmware update

Newsdee

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So the RF hardware is getting a bit long in the tooth. Any hope for a revised version, or a competing product that could hopefully improve the design?

Long in the tooth? I don't really have any issues with it. It's still by far the best product in its category.

How so? I ask as someone that's never used one before. Just curious, although I did think of investing in one for the main TV eventually.

Its going on three years old now, there havent been any revisions or peripherals released for it since the beginning, even though its a perfect platform for expandability.

Not saying its dead, but I would think its hitting the latter half of its life cycle. If nothing else, ripe for a price drop.

That's a fair argument as it's not cheap and that along with the no NES slot on it kept me from picking one up even to date. It beats the R5 out in quality but the price and missing bit was a turn off. I'm surprised they haven't put out any revisions at all.

You can get a NES to Famicom adapter, no? Sure it sticks out a bit badly but better than nothing.

Getting the nes->f adaptor isn’t a big deal, imo. But for a system that is essentially a USB cart slot plugged into an android box, it would be nice if they released a new cart reader that supported Atari, or vectrex, or Game Gear, or any of the other systems they’ve missed.

With the RetroFreak you can do that, just not the lame R5 which they blocked that feature in firmware (hardware is capable with hacking.)

The RF itself is actually very very small, probably 80% of it is the larger base with the cart slots and the controller module. But if you just want the console itself which stores the games and go with their controller or something wireless it's quite tiny.

Awesome. I see the appeal of using carts on it but if I bought one it would strictly be an all-in-one kind of device and I'd have everything loaded onto the SD card. Maybe I'll snag one this upcoming year.

I enjoyed the look of the Retron 5 on my HD display, but hacking it was a pain. Not worth the trouble. The input lag was also quite noticeable. I am curious if the Retro Freak is better in this regard.

I looked at the updated mini Retro Freak but there aren't many photos available. I can't tell what the back side looks like. Front has two USB ports and that's it. I am curious if there's still a SD slot on the rear, perhaps. If there is I could see myself buying that and just using one of the various USB controllers I have here (assuming it recognizes them).

*Edit: I just realized the "mini" is just the standard Retro Freak, just without the massive hulk of an adapter. Basically the little box slides into the back of the original adapter that has all the cart slots and it acts as the brains of the machine. Damn.. so that means the "Mini" by itself won't be an option since it won't have a SD slot on it.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

I am sure they could make adapters for other systems like the Atari... random guess is that the hardware is more than capable.

I don't think the market is big enough for that though.

Yeah but 99% of the hardware is already in the user's hands. You're essentially selling a USB reader. Even if they sell in small quantities, the markup could be huge.

Awesome. I see the appeal of using carts on it but if I bought one it would strictly be an all-in-one kind of device and I'd have everything loaded onto the SD card. Maybe I'll snag one this upcoming year.

I enjoyed the look of the Retron 5 on my HD display, but hacking it was a pain. Not worth the trouble. The input lag was also quite noticeable. I am curious if the Retro Freak is better in this regard.

I looked at the updated mini Retro Freak but there aren't many photos available. I can't tell what the back side looks like. Front has two USB ports and that's it. I am curious if there's still a SD slot on the rear, perhaps. If there is I could see myself buying that and just using one of the various USB controllers I have here (assuming it recognizes them).

*Edit: I just realized the "mini" is just the standard Retro Freak, just without the massive hulk of an adapter. Basically the little box slides into the back of the original adapter that has all the cart slots and it acts as the brains of the machine. Damn.. so that means the "Mini" by itself won't be an option since it won't have a SD slot on it.

So the SD card is in the base unit, the idea is you use the whole unit to dump the games to the SD and then you can take the base with you to play games. The adapter is only for dumping or playing carts. Also, standard USB controllers may not work. Compatibility is some what iffy.

00693-625x440.jpg

• Like 1

So the SD card is in the base unit, the idea is you use the whole unit to dump the games to the SD and then you can take the base with you to play games. The adapter is only for dumping or playing carts. Also, standard USB controllers may not work. Compatibility is some what iffy.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I may end up pre-ordering one of these stripped down packages then. Should be fun to mess around with.

That's why I said what I did, that picture up there a few posts is what I had seen before. If you are totally fine with the tiny part, that's the brains, and the cart slots are just cosmetic adapters to dump carts basically or write back to them. I think you're stuck using their controller but it's decent unlike that rotten hyperkin R5 garbage controller so it's not a huge issue unless you have to use original.

I think you're stuck using their controller but it's decent unlike that rotten hyperkin R5 garbage controller so it's not a huge issue unless you have to use original.

You are not stuck to their controllers; PS3, PS4 gamepads (in wired mode) and various other USB devices work fine with it. What does not work are XBox controllers.

Hmm that's doubly good news because while their pad is fine the dual shock is far nicer and not using the xbox with the wonky dual stick layout is all the better.

I've been strongly considering the system for a while now, even going as far as dumping the R5 I had as I was tired of its dusty presence.