IGNORED

Retro Freak firmware update

Newsdee

They do sell the controller adapter separately but it's hard to find and expensive. A shame because it's really good and works fine with other systems.

By the way, i's actually a "multitap" in that each controller can be used separately. So you can use it for 2 players (or even 4 for Bomberman)

I use the 8bitdo SNES Bluetooth dongle in the controller adapter and play with the Wii U Pro Controller. That works perfectly.

or wired if you don't have a controller adapter, but it's a pita to set up each controller for each system.

I'm thinking about selling mine as I vastly prefer real hardware (I consider fpga consoles as comparable to"real hardware" as well).

• 3 months later...

Here's a quick tip (and my apologies if this was already stated)...

When I did the firmware updates on my two Retro Freaks, I had noticed that the sound broke on some of the games, and specifically Choplifter III for the SNES and Daimakaimura for the SuperGrafx. This made no sense to me since they worked more or less the way they should previously.

Anyway, long story short, it turns out that somehow it flipped the system setting flag from USA (or Auto) to European under System Settings. Once I changed that back, everything was fine, obviously.

• Like 1

Are these OoP or are we between batches? I couldnt find one on amazon and eBay prices have jumped.

I got my first one from Play-Asia not too long after they were first announced. I got my second one on Amazon about a year and a half back when I realized that was a more cost effective way to get another controller adapter unit, plus it minimized me having to shuffle them back and forth. I wish I could do the same with getting a second XRGB-mini, but prices for that are even worse.

Are these OoP or are we between batches? I couldnt find one on amazon and eBay prices have jumped.

Nah they are still making them. And trying to undercut the Super NT in terms of price point it seems.

https://www.play-asia.com/retro-freak-basic-standard-set-for-sfc/13/70bl4h?

retro-freak-basic-standard-set-for-sfc-5

Looks like a reincarnation of the original Retroblox concept. All they need now is standalone adapters for every other system. :lolblue:

• Like 1

Nah they are still making them. And trying to undercut the Super NT in terms of price point it seems.

Looks like a reincarnation of the original Retroblox concept. All they need now is standalone adapters for every other system. :lolblue:

That is actually a fantastic strategy, because you really don't need the cartridge adapter, and two ports for SNES controllers is certainly good enough for most things, particularly since that's one of the easier system to get good high quality Bluetooth controllers for. I would have probably went with that had the option been available at the time when I was shopping for a second unit, although I really didn't pay THAT much more for the full set.

retro-freak-basic-standard-set-for-sfc-5

When they announced this awhile ago, I think I remember reading that they were just doing this for playing SNES games... a scaled down retro freak just to play SNES games, though I wonder if the real guts is a 100% match to the one used in the Retrofreak.

It can't hold a candle to the SuperNT, but it does have one thing going for it over the Polymega... it exists.

Ever since I got my hands on xrgb mini, I have used my Retrofreak much less. The Retrofreak is the only thing I have though that plays Famicom and NES games reliably though (and being to have translation patches added on the fly is a plus).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but I have been having such an ordeal with my Retro Freak and could desperately do with some help.

I decided to pick up some generic SNES style USB pads for the system. People all seemed positive that they'd work just fine once I remap the buttons. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, the Start button on the controller is registered by the Retro Freak as the "Home" button so it brings up the in-game menu in games and I can't select anything. I tried remapping the buttons with the controller set to "Other USB" but the system wouldn't let me remap any. It would only accept any changes if I set the controller as a Retro Freak one, but obviously the Start button issue remains. I've also tried a generic USB 6-button Mega Drive controller to no avail. I tried a PlayStation 3 controller and an Xbox360 style PC controller and they both work just fine. I've updated the console to the latest version of the software and am currently baffled. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

It seems like the Retro Freak is convinced that both different types of controller are official Retro Freak controllers, instead of the generic USB controllers that they are, and thus assigns the HOME button to the START button on the controller, instead of having it as START and allowing me to use a hotkey combo for the HOME button . Maybe I've just had very bad luck with both makes of controller. Been quite frustrating if I'm honest.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Did anybody ever figured out a list of Easter Eggs on the RF?

What I know is:

- A picture of the Cyber Gadget company mascot in front of some kind of expo

- A simple Famicom game made by the company

- An mp3 of the user interface

I think they are linked to number of games dumped, bit not sure what else. Never saw anything else.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/16/2019 at 7:35 AM, Newsdee said:

Did anybody ever figured out a list of Easter Eggs on the RF?

What I know is:

- A picture of the Cyber Gadget company mascot in front of some kind of expo

- A simple Famicom game made by the company

- An mp3 of the user interface

I think they are linked to number of games dumped, bit not sure what else. Never saw anything else.

I saw a pretty awesome display after I registered 100 game carts. It's available in English if you set the lamguage settings.

13 hours ago, Newsdee said:

Finally a custom firmware!

https://github.com/amoore2600/rfdumper

It allows dumping ROMs but removing the custom encryption, meaning you can bqackup your own carts to use with any amulator or FPGA device. Looks like it will get me using my RF again...

This is awesome. I might be letting go of mine if I can find all of the parts. I have the cart dumper but not the controller ports.

Between the AVS, Super NT, and Mega SG, I have no use for it anymore. And I can still pull out my Turbografx and converters if I want to use those. Lol!

I don't have much use for mine anymore either except for dumping those SNES games that need it.

Just a thought... I guess there isn't a straightforward way to dump and NES game? I know there is the INLretro Dumper, but that does not look straightforward (meaning my patience will wear thin quick...).

I guess the only other thing the Retrofreak is useful for is the ability to apply translation patches on the fly. Although Voultar has a service now where at the end of the day, you are still using the cart you own, but it has the translated version.