IGNORED

Retro Freak firmware update

Newsdee

Guest LiqMat

Plus,aren't the filters really ugly?

I think so. Does nothing for me. I personally like the very crisp images HDMI brings to the screen without any filters.

Hi everyone!

So I've been really enjoying mine - 1009 games installed from actual carts! My go to controller has been my C+L Championship Stick for SNES or my official Saturn USB pads.

I tried my X-Arcade DIY sticks with minimal luck. Player 1 UDLR worked but no buttons. It could be because I didn't use them all in my build; I opted to go 6 buttons per player. The guts are X-Arcade, but the buttons and sticks are better quality parts from an arcade vendor. Anyone try a different setup or have the PS3 adapter since PS3 is compatible? I'm guessing though the system is seeing it as a keyboard since they are not HID devices.

Next question: Are there any english cheat codes to be found?

So far my incompatible carts are only my 8-bit X-Mas carts, Repro NWC, and Repro Campus Challenge. Anyone know if anything from Retro USB will work?

Still waiting for 32X support. It would be cool to see swap out cart readers for N64, Atari, etc.

N64 and Atari 2600 are by far the 2 missing emus I want them to officially add support for. 32x would be nice for getting a superior version of Virtua Racing! That home brew for Brutal Doom 64 is looking really good - glad it supports Roms for stuff like this.

Play-Asia is sending me a replacement and credited the return shipping cost to my account; they seem to be really supportive of their customers! While I wait, I figured I'd ask what games people have been enjoying on the retro freak?

I'll list my top 3 games I'm looking forward to replaying by system:

Nes - Zelda 1, Friday the 13th and Castlevania 2

Sms(gg) - Phantasy Star 1, Rampage and Zaxxon

Snes - Actraiser, TMNT 4 and Super Metriod

Sg- Phantasy Star 4, Shinobi 3 and Virtua Racing

Tg16 - Keith Courage, Soldier Blade and Neutopia 2

Gb(m,c&a) - Final Fantasy 6 Advance, Defender of the Crown and Gargoyles Quest

If they ever add Atari 2600 and N64 - Adventure, Berzerk, Raiders of the lost Ark, Star Fox 64, Gauntlet Legends and Mario Kart 64!

Anyways, since I haven't seen any other posts of faulty systems, I'm feeling less worried about my replacement having issues - esp after I get it upgraded to the latest fw.

Also interested in seeing what Retrolabo has in mind for his future fw releases!

Edited by Dragun

NES - Zelda II, Castlevania, and Batman

SNES - ActRaiser, Fire Emblem, UN Squadron,

Genesis - Rambo, Super Street Fighter II, Revenge of Shinobi, Super Monaco GP

T16 - Bomberman 94 (play 5 player at school w/my students at lunch, Power Drift, Fantasy Zone, Blazing Lasers

GBA - Gradius Galaxies, Advance Wars, Sonic Pinball Party

GB - Batman, Castlevania, TMNT

Next question: Are there any english cheat codes to be found?

There is. You can just rename the Retron 5's cheat xml files to the Retro Freak cheat names and that will allow you to use English cheat on the Retro Freak.

Just for reference, the file names should be

codes-fc (NES)

codes-sfc (SNES)

codes-gb (GB/GBC)

codes-gba (GBA)

codes-md (Gen)

codes-mk3 (SMS)

I still don't know about TG16 and Game Gear.

• Like 1

Hi everyone!So I've been really enjoying mine - 1009 games installed from actual carts! My go to controller has been my C+L Championship Stick for SNES or my official Saturn USB pads.

holy cow; that's a lot of games! :o

I tried my X-Arcade DIY sticks with minimal luck. Player 1 UDLR worked but no buttons. It could be because I didn't use them all in my build; I opted to go 6 buttons per player. The guts are X-Arcade, but the buttons and sticks are better quality parts from an arcade vendor. Anyone try a different setup or have the PS3 adapter since PS3 is compatible? I'm guessing though the system is seeing it as a keyboard since they are not HID devices.

My advice is to use an HID encoder instead. The Retro Freak cannot read USB keyboards apparently. My MAME controller has a Cthulhu in it. I like the Cthulhu as it's perfect for single player use and doesn't use 50+ button inputs. I have it set up for Dpad + six buttons + Start/Select + Home. The rightmost two button holes on my enclosure kit, I plugged up because I don't use them. Retrogamers don't need eight buttons and pinky fingers are damn near useless for gaming anyway... :roll:

Cthulhu can emulate PS3, USB HID, Xbox360 (with additional mods to circumvent the security chip) directly through it's USB port. Retro Freak detects Cthulhu as standard USB. Cthulhu can also emulate a variety of classic console controllers by soldering up to eight pins to existing extension cables. When powered on, it uses heuristics to determine the console type. Sadly it don't support 9-pin Sega/Atari as it only has 8 leads, and the SNES fighter layout is awkward for platformers like DKC or SMW.

I planned on adding a Turbo plug directly to the Cthulhu as well as separate SNES/NES and Genesis/Atari using Yobo clone PCBs, all wired into a 25-pin harness, but it quickly turned into a rat's nest in there and I gave up. Currently it's fully functional as USB only, though I plan on adding at least Turbografx if nothing else. Home button toggles two- or six-button operation in Turbografx/PCe mode.

• Like 1

Cthulhu can also emulate a variety of classic console controllers by soldering up to eight pins to existing extension cables. When powered on, it uses heuristics to determine the console type. Sadly it don't support 9-pin Sega/Atari as it only has 8 leads, and the SNES fighter layout is awkward for platformers like DKC or SMW.

By any chance are you aware of anything that could do this from an existing USB HID device? Basically a way to use USB controllers (or adapters) on legacy consoles...

Guest LiqMat

I wonder if the RF will ever get a legit stateside release? And if other variations on the cart reader shell will ever be made?

Can you Imagine a 2600, 5200, 7800, INTV and Colecovision cart sled? Oh dear me. :-)

• Like 1

That's exactly what I'm imagining. The existing systems it covers do nothing for me, as I own them all several times over (Minus the TG-16, which is appealing...). But I'm very keen on seeing classic era hardware, and in this case, it seems all you'd have to do is provide the physical slots and a software upgrade... the actual processing hardware is ready to go and already on the shelves.

To NOT go this route seems like a giant wasted opportunity.

That's exactly what I'm imagining. The existing systems it covers do nothing for me, as I own them all several times over (Minus the TG-16, which is appealing...). But I'm very keen on seeing classic era hardware, and in this case, it seems all you'd have to do is provide the physical slots and a software upgrade... the actual processing hardware is ready to go and already on the shelves.

To NOT go this route seems like a giant wasted opportunity.

Maybe, maybe not. It depends how much of an audience there is of people who would pay what this thing costs, then pay for what a pre-Crash cartridge module would cost. It's probably not nearly as big as it is for the post-Crash systems they already have covered.

Anyone else notice any difficulty getting a clean install on Color Dream and particularly American Video Entertainment NES carts? I've had to rename most of them from unknown game and some have just been glitchy unless I just copied a rom. I tried to do legit installs on all my carts, but CD and AVE carts were very problematic even after cleaning.

Guest LiqMat

Maybe, maybe not. It depends how much of an audience there is of people who would pay what this thing costs, then pay for what a pre-Crash cartridge module would cost. It's probably not nearly as big as it is for the post-Crash systems they already have covered.

Considering what just the controller adapter costs I shudder at the thought of how much that classic era cart sled would cost. $149 would be a good imaginary figure.

Isn't the SG-1000 technically a 2nd gen or pre-crash console? If the SG-3000/SMS is 3rd gen, the SG-1000 must be second? I'm about as knowledgeable of SG-1000 games as Japanese gamers likely are of Atari consoles. :P

Anyone else notice any difficulty getting a clean install on Color Dream and particularly American Video Entertainment NES carts? I've had to rename most of them from unknown game and some have just been glitchy unless I just copied a rom. I tried to do legit installs on all my carts, but CD and AVE carts were very problematic even after cleaning.

I got a few Camerica, Wisdom Tree, Color Dreams, and AVE carts I could try out.

Certain unlicensed Famicom of Megadrive games are not recognised at all. Psycho Pinball and Micro Machines (MD) won't detect, and Soap Panic (Famicom variant of Bubble Bath Babes) did not detect either. However I inserted Soap Panic into a converter on top of another converter, basically FC to NES to FC, and it dumped fine.

So it appears there is some electrical connection in the cart port that tells the RF when a cart is inserted. Some unlicensed games may not be wired the same as licrnsed games. NES and Famicom cart slots each have two GNDs and two VCCs for instance. I think the Retro Freak may be testing this connectivity to detect the game.