Rev

Features vs Limitations

Simplified math for all readers:

64 GRAM and 8 MOB

Flicker=0

Maximum # of ground to air missiles=x

Maximum # of aircraft/smart bombs/satellites=y

Number of explosions=z

Any combo can not exceed 8 without flicker. Since there was no room for GRAM based explosions It became a balance to what looked right. If the explosions were slower, then it affected other things or flicker needed to be introduced. Flickering slower explosions looked worse that what made it into the final game.

I still think this is a very good port. But it will never be arcade perfect. Very few if ANY arcade ports on Intv will look like arcade version, maybe play like it, but not graphics perfect.

Thanks for everyone that will play end enjoy this.

• Like 6

During beta testing, I think one of the very first feedback items was about the speed of the explosions. I believe they did get tuned a bit early on, but there are limits.

Interestingly, when you check out a video of the original game's startup sequence -- MD nails it!

During gameplay, the duration of the explosions is definitely different than the port most of us are familiar with (Atari VCS, I'm betting), but I'm OK with that. Not everything can be done that the arcade original did. Like so many ports of arcade titles, limitations of the target system and possibly new twists (hey, the arcade release didn't have voices, did it?) bring a bit if uniqueness to the game. If it were identical, then why make it at all? Just play the original in MAME.

During beta testing, I think one of the very first feedback items was about the speed of the explosions. I believe they did get tuned a bit early on, but there are limits.

Interestingly, when you check out a video of the original game's startup sequence -- MD nails it!

During gameplay, the duration of the explosions is definitely different than the port most of us are familiar with (Atari VCS, I'm betting), but I'm OK with that. Not everything can be done that the arcade original did. Like so many ports of arcade titles, limitations of the target system and possibly new twists (hey, the arcade release didn't have voices, did it?) bring a bit if uniqueness to the game. If it were identical, then why make it at all? Just play the original in MAME.

Yep, the length of the explosions was brought up many times by at leaste X-1 of people that were in the APGT Group; it was tweaked as best that could be done within the constraints.

Lots of additional features were suggested and discussed but then it didn't feel like original. I'm actually surprised someone hasn't complained about the cities changing with each level...

Yep, the length of the explosions was brought up many times by at leaste X-1 of people that were in the APGT Group; it was tweaked as best that could be done within the constraints.

Lots of additional features were suggested and discussed but then it didn't feel like original. I'm actually surprised someone hasn't complained about the cities changing with each level...

What?! There's more than one level!? :P

Yeah. the remixed cities went un-noticed! (so far) Im sure it will though.

I still think this is a very good port. But it will never be arcade perfect. Very few if ANY arcade ports on Intv will look like arcade version, maybe play like it, but not graphics perfect.

Please do an arcade perfect port of Pong! It must be possible! ;)

• Like 1

Features vs Limitations

Simplified math for all readers:

64 GRAM and 8 MOB

Flicker=0

Maximum # of ground to air missiles=x

Maximum # of aircraft/smart bombs/satellites=y

Number of explosions=z

Any combo can not exceed 8 without flicker. Since there was no room for GRAM based explosions It became a balance to what looked right. If the explosions were slower, then it affected other things or flicker needed to be introduced. Flickering slower explosions looked worse that what made it into the final game.

Well, that's just the trick, right? If the platform is not suited for the implementation of certain features, then don't be surprised when you are called out for them missing, or implemented strangely.

Once again, I am not trying to knock the effort of the programmer, it is certainly an impressive technical feat, but I provided my opinion as a player of the game, so I'm purely basing it on my own subjective experience of playing the game and either comparing it to the original (it's not quite the same), or for its originality (it's not quite different enough).

It is a nice game, and I enjoyed playing it, but personally -- in my own estimation as a cartridge buying customer and player -- I am not giving it extra brownie points just because it was hard to implement or the hardware got in the way; it's not just a mere technical demo after all

And even if I did concede the technical limitations (which, as a programmer myself, I of course do, to an extent), my biggest criticism was that it looked too much in the style of old Atari VCS games, in look and feel.

Of course, others are free to disagree, and that is quite alright. That's the spice of life. :)

And to close, I offer you a cute kitten playing with a rubber band as an allegory of my enjoyment of the game. :)

post-27318-0-84028200-1454858495_thumb.jpg

Smile and enjoy! And thank you Rev for continuing to publish quality games.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

• 2 weeks later...