IGNORED

Selfmade Vectrex Overlays

Tedadar

Hello!

since a short time, I have a Vectrex. I think it's an inpressing gaming experience to play with it.

I have a Vecmulti-Card also, but the problem is the missing overlays, so I decided to try to make overlays myself.

My results and the documetation of how I made it you can see here:

https://www.facebook.com/sspoecker/media_set?set=a.10208376214989583.1073741827.1431533920&type=3

(Sorry, the comments are in german)

My results are okay, but the colors are a little bit weaker than from an original Overlay when you play with it.

And the Overlays are thinner than the original ones, but that doesn't matter when its fixed on the Vectrex screen.

Did someone of you have experience in making overlays?

Any suggestions for me how to make them better?

When you want somting to know about my trys, please let me know!

Greetings, Tedadar

• Like 4

hi they look very good and professional :)

because they are thinner than the official overlays, does that affect the level of flicker reduction (ie. your overlays reduce the flicker as much as the original overlays?)

ps. some time ago i made some basic generic multi-coloured (perhaps described as 'psychedelic') overlays, using my inkjet printer and some transparent/clear 'acetate' film sheets, but because they were quite thin, i noticed they did not reduce flicker as much as i hoped, (also, one sheet was quite floppy/weak), so i ended up using 3 sheets together, one with the psychedelic colours, one 'all yellow' colour, and a 3rd plain/clear sheet (all glued together around the edges :-D) using these 3 sheets made the image look quite soft (a little blurry), but i liked this warm (smooth) look, and the flicker reduction was very good

(perhaps they look a little 'scrappy' in the pic below, but when put on the vectrex screen it looks good and it is nice to have eg. always different multi-coloured explosions in minestorm!)

pic9eu8.jpg

• Like 1

You use 4 sheets of transparency film. You print two standard and two reverse images and fuse the edges together with a soldering iron making sure that the images are properly aligned. This produces a self made overlay which is both ridged and has saturation equivalent to that of a screen printed overlay. In between the second and third sheets, you have to do the white opaque border.

Use any of the following transparency films - Precision 10-405, 3M CG3460, CG3480, Arkwright 345-25-01, and HP C3834A. Look for deals where you can get 40-50 sheets for around 25USD or less.

Images and greater detail are in the following link. http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/thread/1418/modified-diy-overlay-technique

• Like 3

The "How to make an Overlay" tutorial belongs to Mark DeSmet. He is the one who developed VeCaves for the Vectrex. That is the method he used to make overlays which were included in the earlier copies of VeCaves.

I have tried that method with ok results. As decoration, it's an acceptable method. As a method of colorizing vectors, the saturation is far to low for satisfactory results especially with certain colors. I was never pleased with its rigidity and could never eliminate the microscopic bubbles created by the layers of self adhesive laminating sheets which might just be a result of the brands I was able to locate, though I tried several different brands.

Try my new method which just uses the four layers of transparency film without the self adhesive laminating film. Within the month, the just might make a how to page for it with each step.

Thank you. I'm an enthusiast just like you and wanted an every person's Protector Overlay. The file for making your own Protector overlay is on my site (with others) though there just might be a screen printed version in the near future. http://tbone1892001.wix.com/vectrex-guide

Edited by 50TBRD
  • Like 2

cheers :)i will do some reading up, as i am thinking of recreating my 'pychedelic random colours' overlay (as pictured above), as it is a little beaten up (...for the yellow sheet, my ink started to run out, u can spot the streaks in the pic i posted above... :ponder: sigh)

all that said though, when the sheets pictured above are placed over my vectrex screen, the resulting image looks quite good (i think); i was impressed with the results you can get even using a basic inkjet printer and inexpensive transparent 'acetate' film sheets from ebay. not the most professional project perhaps, but was fun to experiment with different ideas.

some pics:

ms_psy1.png

ms_psy2.png

ms_psy3.png

ms_psy4.png

Edited by vtek
  • Like 3

I had a nice homemade result with an inkjet transparency and an inkjet window cling.

White spray paint masking is a bit sloppy, but not too bad.

Cons:

Lining up the reverse image window cling with the transparency is hard to do.

The back is still exposed spray paint and ink, so it can mar, fingerprint, scratch easily.

Pros:

In use it the double colors is rich enough to make red look red and not pink.

In use you can't notice scratches, and overspray masking.

I wanted to post my Protector example, but here is VeCaves:

post-29575-0-19924300-1451024004_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks to you all for your answers! Very impressing ideas and results.

The way to use more than one printed sheet is a good idea. I will soon try it myself. :)

By the way, do you know whre I can get a image of the Yasi-Overlay?

I wasn't lucky when I've searched in Google about it...

hi again guys

for the people who were interested in the psychedelic overlay:

it would be really good if someone who can make professional overlays could be persuaded to make a batch, i think there would be much interest

but in the meantime, if you wish to make your own, you can use any colour inkjet printer

then, you need to buy some A4 size transparent/film sheets printer paper.. cheap on ebay and amazon, you could buy a pack of 10 sheets

for searching on ebay or amazon, search using keywords like: "INKJET CLEAR PRINTER ACETATE FILM OHP A4 SHEETS"

ok i have attached to this message, the psychedelic images to print out (A4 size, 300 dpi) *** SEE ATTACHED .ZIP for the PICTURES to print ***

note: if you have not printed on clear acetate sheets before, take note you need to print on the CORRECT side of the page. only one side of the sheet is designed to be printed on. one of the sides of the sheets is slightly 'rough' in appearance and feel. you need to print on the rough side of the clear acetate sheet.

note: after printing the images, you will need to cut the sheets down to the size of a regular vectrex overlay (can use blade or scissors)

ok so now just print some out, and experiment. i used 4 sheets all together on the vectrex screen (the 2 psychedelic images, a 3rd 'all yellow' sheet, and finally a 4th clear sheet).. hint: put the brightest psychedelic print FIRST close up-against the vectrex screen, then the second 'smoother/less bright' psychedelic print on top of that. then have the 'all yellow' sheet on top of those, and finally, use a 4th 'clear/unused' sheet on top of those 3 sheets. doing this gives a very smooth, colourful/warm image, as you can see in the example pictures above.

psychedelic prints.zip

Edited by vtek
  • Like 2

Hello vtek,

no problem, the topic of the thread are selfmade overlays, and its useful for me to get your inspiration.

Meanwhile, I've made another try with two printed sheets, which I'm laminated.

I'm very pleased about this tries:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208399475091071&set=ms.c.eJwzNDAysDC2tDQxNzWwNDQwN9QzRIiYmhsCmQB%7E%3BSQcZ.bps.a.10208376214989583.1073741827.1431533920&type=3

By the way: Have someone of you a scan of YASI and/or Protector for me?

My friend and me wants baldly an overlay for those great games.

Thank you a lot! :)

Hello vtek,

no problem, the topic of the thread are selfmade overlays, and its useful for me to get your inspiration.

Meanwhile, I've made another try with two printed sheets, which I'm laminated.

I'm very pleased about this tries:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208399475091071&set=ms.c.eJwzNDAysDC2tDQxNzWwNDQwN9QzRIiYmhsCmQB%7E%3BSQcZ.bps.a.10208376214989583.1073741827.1431533920&type=3

By the way: Have someone of you a scan of YASI and/or Protector for me?

My friend and me wants baldly an overlay for those great games.

Thank you a lot! :)

Protector, my favorite design so far:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0y0fw66obpvxlx/Protector%21%21%21%21%202.91%20Overlay.pdf?dl=0

• Like 1

The YASI overlay has not been released as a download and no one has scanned it either because the design belongs to VectrexMad! and Company. I've made my version of Protector available for download on my website (iesposta's link is a variation I made based on his preference). http://tbone1892001.wix.com/vectrex-guide#!downloads/cqz

The YASI overlay is supposed to get a second printing soon. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pascual.nicholson/news.htm

Alternatively, you can purchase the Vectrexians game (with overlay) or just the overlay and it will work similarly. http://users.skynet.be/kristofsnewvectrexgames//

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

meanwhile I've made some more Overlays and I'm happy with the results.

Not perfect but better than nothing! ;-)

Now another question: Do you know where I can the graphic of the game "Debris"

The overlay looks inpressing, but it was very rare and I couldn't find a shop where I can get it.

You have an idea, or eventually a scan of the Overlay?

I would like to make a few generic overlays. Since I don't plan on printing on the surface, would it be better to use something like lighting gel sheets instead of transparency paper? It's a lot thicker, but I don't know if it has the same desirable qualities as originals.

Here are the gels that I'm considering: http://www.amazon.com/Color-Transparent-Correction-Lighting-Plastic/dp/B004A9PMGE/

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...