IGNORED

non original music in Intellivision games

intellivotion

That game is literally a masterpiece, imho.

Great graphics, extraordinary music and funny gameplay. I purchased back in the days and it's still among my 5 favorites.

I try to find the death tune in the movement.

Cool! I have mixed feelings about the gameplay -- I remember ending up in long stalemate situations -- but I admire the game's polish and presentation, and musical sophistication. Lots of TLC there.

The power-up tune from Level 2 sounds 19th century to me. EDIT: Cool, you got the Level 3 tune! :)

BTW one suggestion -- maybe you could do a strikethrough on games that have no music?

The power-up tune from Level 2 sounds 19th century to me. EDIT: Cool, you got the Level 3 tune! :)

BTW one suggestion -- maybe you could do a strikethrough on games that have no music?

the power-up tune on Level 2 seems baroque to me. More ancient than 19th century.

I agree with you: but let's give all the songs a chance until we are 100% sure they don't have non original music

EDIT: to correct a word

Edited by intellivotion

the power-up tune on Level 2 seems baroc to me. More ancient than 19th century.

I agree with you: but let's give all the songs a chance until we are 100% sure they don't have non original music

You may be right -- I sometimes underestimate the harmonic sophistication of Baroque music. The sudden sidestep from G major into Bb major/G minor had me thinking post-Beethoven, but it could certainly be another Scarlatti or Purcell.

I just meant to strike through games with no music at all, e.g. USCF Chess. But yes, there's no rush. :)

^Good catch, that adds "Pomp & Circumstance" to the list for Demon Attack. Still don't know what that Level 2 power-up tune is for Thunder Castle, though.

Doesn't Venture have a bunch of different tunes besides the William Tell Overture? Not sure if any of those are borrowed; it might be easier to ID them based on the arcade game.

Carnival is "Over the Waves (Sobre las Olas)" by Juventino Rosas. That tune is all over Looney Tunes cartoons, but I never knew what it was called until now!

I knew I recognized it from somewhere. At first I thought it was The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze, but a quick listen of that song to remind me pointed out I was wrong. It's not like any of these tunes are in my playlist.

Many blanks have been filled. Thank all the contributors!

Crucial tunes that are still missing:

power-up in 2nd level in Thunder Castle

all the tunes in Beauty & the Beast

all the tunes in Tropical Trouble (I'm sure I know the tune when the hero takes the handkerchief, but I can not remember title and author)

all the tunes in Tropical Trouble (I'm sure I know the tune when the hero takes the handkerchief, but I can not remember title and author)

The power-up tune is the Promenade from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. Not sure about the game's opening fanfare, but it rings a bell.

• Like 1

Thanks! I have a "Dictionary of Musical Themes" that helps, but nothing there was an exact match to the game tune. However, I tried looking at similar melodies without the repetition of the third note, which I thought might be an anomaly. The Dvorak looked promising, though the second half of the melody was different -- the Dictionary only catalogs the first appearance of each melody, so later variations like the one used in the game have to be identified manually. But when I heard it in context, I could tell right away that it was a probable match, and it was only a matter of time before I found the exact place.

Making matters trickier, I forgot about the renumbering of Dvorak's symphonies, and the book has it listed as No. 4. So when I went to check YouTube I was completely confused until I realized it was what's now called No. 8!

• Like 3

The power-up tune is the Promenade from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. Not sure about the game's opening fanfare, but it rings a bell.

yeeees, it was in my mind, but there was the strange sensation the tune was not from classical music: ELP. That's why!

Compliments

Got the last Thunder Castle tune! The Level 2 powerup is from the last movement of Dvorak's Symphony No. 8 (aka Symphony No. 4 in the old numbering system). Check it out at 3:05:

no word to say nor to write. Brilliant, really. You solved a mystery. And let me say that it was hard.

I spent the day yesterday listening to Scarlatti, Vivaldi, Purcell and also Mozart, while doing other things, because I was convinced that it was from a previous period.

You were right, it is 19th century.

Spectacular! My compliments!

• Like 2

Horse Racing has the "William Tell Overture" as an opening theme, and at the start of each race is the traditional "call to the post" from an old military bugle call "First Call".

NFL Football has the sports "charge" music as the players take the field. Not sure if its anything. https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110419/00514513953/guy-sues-over-da-da-da-da-da-da-charge-jingle-he-might-not-have-written.shtml

• Like 2

no word to say nor to write. Brilliant, really. You solved a mystery. And let me say that it was hard.

I spent the day yesterday listening to Scarlatti, Vivaldi, Purcell and also Mozart, while doing other things, because I was convinced that it was from a previous period.

You were right, it is 19th century.

Spectacular! My compliments!

Aww, thanks so much for your kind words! :) Glad to help -- the mystery has been bugging me for a while too, so it's satisfying to solve a riddle.

NFL Football has the sports "charge" music as the players take the field. Not sure if its anything. https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110419/00514513953/guy-sues-over-da-da-da-da-da-da-charge-jingle-he-might-not-have-written.shtml

Good catch! Looks to me like Tommy Walker should be listed as the author for now; the older German source listed in the article isn't actually the same melody, though it's the same rhythm.

• Like 2

The music in Beauty & the Beast when you pick up a heart is the main theme of Tchaikovsky's "Romeo and Juliet". Not sure about the between-level tune...

One of the between level/intermissions is Maple Leaf Rag.

Actually the version of the overture has only the same melodic progression and nothing of the majesty of the original. But it is, definitely.

Another good catch, thegoldenband :)

Edited by intellivotion

• Christmas Carol's title music is Carol of the Bells, by Mykola Leontovych. It also plays a bar of 'Silent Night' (Franz Xaver Gruber) whenever you pick up a gift.

You also forgot Pop Goes The Weasel that plays for the Jack-In-The-Box during the fourth cut-scene, and a Winter Wonderland snippet whenever you finish a level, and a darker arrangement of it on Game Over.

I'd like to point out that, although they are not original songs, their arrangements are. Except for Pop Goes The Weasel, I lifted that one directly from sheet music. :)

Edited by DZ-Jay

You also forgot Pop Goes The Weasel that plays for the Jack-In-The-Box during the fourth cut-scene, and a Winter Wonderland snippet whenever you finish a level, and a darker arrangement of it on Game Over.

I'd like to point out that, although they are not original songs, their arrangements are. Except for Pop Goes The Weasel, I lifted that one directly from sheet music. :)

Directly from manufacturer to consumer :)

• Like 1