IGNORED

WIP : Nitrous

Sporadic

2 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

Thanks for sharing @Sporadic!

I'm not super fond of the jump (too bumpy) and I would rather have a heads-up display with the road in fullscreen but... but... apart from that, this looks  really cool and I'm really looking forward to play that one (lotus turbo esprit fan here ^^).

If you're talking about the UI panel screenshake, I'm planning on adding a strength option for that and allow it to be disabled.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sporadic said:

Hi all, here's a little mini update on Nitrous.

All GFX, SFX, track layouts/length and general design are still work in progress.

Now that looks like some legit fun, then I realized who coded it and it made sense (Mr. Astrostorm)   ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sporadic said:

This is looking incredible!  Why the hell would anyone attempt Checkered Flag in 3D when this could have been done instead?!?

Only possible mini-complaint (sorry).  Would it be possible to animate the car when turning, to have different views?  It always looks like the car is at a 90 degree view.  Just 2 or 3 frames of animation into the turns would make a massive difference IMHO.  Other than that - pure beauty man!  I'd gladly pay for a copy of this on cart!

• Like 7

Wow, looks really nice.

Just one minor remark on this video, as the background is cycling, when it is sunset background, there is more than one sun. But after all, maybe we are not on Earth, and this explains also the light gravity and big jumps :D

But it is just to a minor thing (and probably temporary), it looks like a very fun racing arcade game.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Rewatching the video, I realize that putting true-color backgrounds give the game a 16bits++ vibe. It's still kind of look like a SNES super scaler, but under steroid and I love that :)

Glad to hear we will be able to remove the UI panel :)

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

Glad to hear we will be able to remove the UI panel :)

No I didn't mean remove it. You'll be able to stop the panel screenshake effect though. But I'm wrestling with frametime here, fullscreen won't be viable I feel.

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

Only possible mini-complaint (sorry).  Would it be possible to animate the car when turning, to have different views?  It always looks like the car is at a 90 degree view.  Just 2 or 3 frames of animation into the turns would make a massive difference IMHO.  Other than that - pure beauty man!  I'd gladly pay for a copy of this on cart!

The vehicle graphics aren't finalised yet so this is a valid point I can experiment with :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fadest said:

Just one minor remark on this video, as the background is cycling, when it is sunset background, there is more than one sun. But after all, maybe we are not on Earth, and this explains also the light gravity and big jumps :D

I am cheating and just rotating the single screen image, hence it wrapping instantly. If storage and memory permit, I will extend some of the backdrops so they don't wrap as soon.

• Like 1

Yes I know.

In fact, I did not see it at first glance, but I thought a lens effect would be nice when sun is just in front, so I checked the sun instead of the car and road to try to imagine this effect, and I noticed the rolling background.

I also noticed you have in fact more than 1 background cycling as some clouds are on another plan. At least 2 plans ?

4 minutes ago, Fadest said:

Yes I know.

In fact, I did not see it at first glance, but I thought a lens effect would be nice when sun is just in front, so I checked the sun instead of the car and road to try to imagine this effect, and I noticed the rolling background.

I also noticed you have in fact more than 1 background cycling as some clouds are on another plan. At least 2 plans ?

The 3 clouds are independent objects that can be adjusted for each stage.

On 4/15/2021 at 10:00 PM, Stephen said:

This is looking incredible!  Why the hell would anyone attempt Checkered Flag in 3D when this could have been done instead?!?

When I look at the video I can see the car animating as it slides to the left and right giving a different perspective view of the car so it looks fine to me. I would not expect to see the car completely turn 90 degrees every time the car shifts to the left or right...

38 minutes ago, tripled79 said:

When I look at the video I can see the car animating as it slides to the left and right giving a different perspective view of the car so it looks fine to me. I would not expect to see the car completely turn 90 degrees every time the car shifts to the left or right...

I certainly wasn't asking for a 90 degree turn - just a sort of "skid" animation.  Maybe I wasn't seeing it - I'll watch again.

There's 2 left a centre and 2 right frames. But that's "borrowed" vehicle graphics at present, not final.

As you say, it doesn't use those as skid anims. Just as perspective based on the cars position.

So it could be fun to animate a couple more frames in there when skidding as you suggested. But it'll come down to memory available at the end of the day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nitrous has had a small but significant update.

Something I have been wanting to reinstate into Nitrous for years now is the lateral road movement. I took it out long ago for performance reasons.

I am now at a point where I have been able to add it back in and iron out any performance penalties.

The outcome? The game feels much more immersive and fun to drive!

• Like 20