IGNORED

WIP : Nitrous

Sporadic

It's just the free demo version from the Reboot website, but I really wanted it on cart for preservation. CD-Rs suck. Also I plan to buy the CD release from the RGDC website. But why isn't it available for sale in the Atari Age store? Just curious.

It's preserved quite well as a download. But I digress. Someone made this and sold it to you, which is the key point here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still ticking along here... I have plumbed in the course map (top right image) and worked out the 15 stages which i'm in the process of creating.

Here's a quick screenshot of a new feature I just added; Road crossings! (aka, more stuff to dodge).

post-42253-0-44793200-1483539434_thumb.png

This may or may not make the final game - it depends if they are too annoying. It could be a feature for the later stages though.

• Like 17

New playable rom/bin? Have been playing the last one made available a great deal. HUGE outrun fan. Keep up the good work!

I will probably release an updated binary at some point (hopefully not too distant future). I really want to get this finished asap so I can move on to a new Jag project.

• Like 4

I thought it would be nice if people could see this in action. CJ has very kindly recorded a video for me using his Elgato.

Remember the graphics and sound are still placeholders and the tracks are under construction (so some are quite short at present).

Change list;

-Fixed big hill slowdown.

-Fixed clipping on hills.

-Fixed janky road line.

-Fixed jumpy scenery on checkpoint.

-Fixed delayed horizon scrolling.

-Added Stage map (top right) - updates as you change stages.

-Added Stage names before split for left / right.

-Added some basic layouts to all stages.

-Added more palette switching for stages.

-Added road crossings (no collision yet and they are too frequent).

-Removed music temporarily.

• Like 20

Slightly off topic - http://codeincomplete.com/posts/javascript-racer-v4-final/ A link to a nice Java script version with access to the source code and tutorials for people interested.

Yes, that's a very good resource and an interesting read for those interested. It seems to be the most used example.

Unfortunately not a cut paste job to get working on the Jaguar though. The source code I'm running is very different to the code I started with.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

It's been quite a while since I posted an update on this, so here goes;

Changes since last update;

- New full Blitter drawn road and scenery.

- Bridges and Tunnels.

- Jumps.

- Rivers.

- Manual or Automatic gears.

- Rain and snow.

- Moar colours.

- Revs/speedo.

I am still actively working on it, just been trying to get to a stage i'm happy with to share a new video.

The video below shows a drive through one of the possible routes.

Please keep in mind that all art/sound assets are still placeholders and the tracks are all under construction.

• Like 20

Definitely needs a streets of San Francisco route to maximise that car air time.

How about using cry mode to blend in some headlights at night and in the tunnel sections?

There is a city stage, that would be an awesome idea for that :)

I was thinking about the headlight thing, it might be too late in development now to switch to cry stuff and I'm also not sure on the size of work changing over to that. Would be an interesting thing to tinker with though.

Thanks everyone for the kind words too. Looking forward to fleshing out the game portion more now, I've been tinkering with this for years now :o

• Like 3

I was thinking about the headlight thing, it might be too late in development now to switch to cry stuff and I'm also not sure on the size of work changing over to that. Would be an interesting thing to tinker with though.

Perhaps there is some GPU time free to do some bitmap trickery e.g. alpha blend a bitmap or colourise a mask of pixels on the orad to have a more yellow tint.

• Like 1

Perhaps there is some GPU time free to do some bitmap trickery e.g. alpha blend a bitmap or colourise a mask of pixels on the orad to have a more yellow tint.

That gives me a possible idea, thanks.

(This is in RB+ though so I won't be doing any GPU coding directly)