IGNORED

Sony PSP BUYING GUIDE & Great Games

Metal Jesus

Metal Jesus & Reggie tell you all about one of their favorite gaming handhelds: the Sony Playstation Portable (PSP). This was a very success handheld with over 80 million units sold, 5 different models, lots of color variants and over 800 games released for it! Do you want to know where to start when collecting for the PSP? This is the video for you!

I've been looking forward to doing this Buying Guide for a while now... The PSP really is a great handheld. Hope you guys like it!

What are some of your favorite PSP Games?

• Like 5

You know I have a lot of PSP games but I haven't actually played all of them yet. I got some that are still sealed too... That being said, the PSP Port of Disgaea 1 is fun. I put it in my PSP and didn't remove it for a year and a half, some 4000 levels later. I originally bought it for the Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles though, mainly to play Rondo of Blood.

I never liked the PSP and I'm not sure why. Ironically, I love the vita / pstv. I think I did not like the UMDs and that just drove me away from the console as a whole. I always felt they were big and bulky to carry around in conjunction with the psp itself. I missed out on a lot of really great games because of my hate for the handheld. I still don't have any desire to go back and collect for it.

With the Vita, I have been playing some of the PSP games I did miss out on via PSN. I do really enjoy them so far too. I hate the vita property memory passionately. I bought a 64gb card so I've got lots of room to download psp titles I missed.

I think had sony done a consolized psp or add on for the ps3 (like the GC GBA Player) I would have been really into the psp. Unrelated, I'd kill for Nintendo to do a 3DS / DS add on for the Wii U.

• Like 2

Nice video! Other than Wipeout I didn't know about racing games...I'll have to check some out!

PSP is an awesome hackable system. I have two models, some of my favs:

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

Corpse Party series

Crush

Dead Head Fred

Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV

God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Gradius Collection

Jeanne D'arc

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Patapon

Space Invaders Extreme

I haven't tried any Monster Hunter games on it or Tactics Ogre. A bunch of games I have yet to play.

The Go really opens up after you've hacked it. All the games in your collection can be transferred to a computer using a hacked 3000, then copied to your Go, making the lack of a disc drive inconsequential. The size, well that's another problem entirely. The Go is great for RPGs and collections, but fighting games? Maybe not so much.

Thanks for sharing this video. The PSP is a favorite of mine as well and it's always a pleasure to see it getting some love.

I got to decent puzzle games. I wouldn't pay much for them, but I payed 2 bucks each, and for that Price I'm really happy:

Every Extend Extra

Gunpey

If you can put enough time into learning it, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is an amazing game. It#s not as niche as it might seem. It's a stripped down Action RPG with a complex and incredibly well done combat and it focuses a lot on that. There's gathering, and some other stuff that detract in my oppinion, but it's ridiculously easy to get 20 hours out of the game, and if you get into it you'll go over 100 no doubt.

As far as consoles go, I only have a 3000 and a E1000 (street). The 3000 is great, but it has an interlaced Screen. I don't know what got into Sony for doing that, it will bother you for sure if you hate those interlace jagged lines.

The e1000 is a cost cutting model that really cuts a ton. The Screen is a kinda crappy TN that you have to hold at the right angle or you'll see jack. It also doesn't have wifi, and you can't Exchange the battery easily. But besides These pretty serious Problems it's actually pretty decent, and as Long as you hold it steady playing with it feels good. Oh, until you have to Play the start or select Buttons. They used Buttons flush with the System covered with a plastic fil, just like the original 3DS. That kinda stuff just plain sucks. On my psp 3000 all those menu Buttons are great. On the PSP E1000 it seriously annoys me specially in the dark.

I hate manu RPGS at this Point, but I really enjoyed Breath of fire 3 on the PSP GO a while back. I can't tell you why I liked it, to me now, thinking back,, that game is utter crap. But I guess if you're into JRPGs with those menu combat Systems you'll possibly like it. The Story is good it you like shit stories.

Seriously. I did enjoy the game...

Just don't Forget. Hack your System immedtialy, buy a mSD to MS Duo Adapter and copy all your games to micro SD Cards. Those UMDs do suck ass, but if you just install the games the System suddenly becomes much better. Hacking a PSP is ridiculously easy. I was impressed. You don't even Need to make an Image or anything. You just put a couple files in the Card you formated witht he PSP itself and you run a program. Done. That will allow you to back up and Play your origial UMDs, and like that the System really shines.

Controlls are great on both the PSP 3000 and E1000. I did have a go, but the butrons and d-pad are shallow and clicky, giving it a very distinct feel. The analog is kinda crap, and I hated it whenever I had to use it. To Play somehting like Frogger or Pac Man it works great. For games where you wanto to fluently Switch directions and for a more playstation Controller Feeling the normal PSP is just worlds above.

I Still think the PSP GO has it's place, and now that you can find it for decent Prices it's actually worth a buy for having a small actually portable System. It's super small and light, and the Screen is great.

If anyone wants to know more just ask, I just got my PSPs and am having tons of fun with them. I did have the go before, where I mostly played PS1 games, minis, etc.. I even used it as my MP3 Player for a while. But nowadays even my utter crap Nokia cellphone that's not even a Smartphone Plays MP3.. So that's hardly a selling Point.

The E1000 has a crappy screen, too? There is, like, nothing good about that model of the system! What was Sony thinking?

Personally, I like the 3000's screen, scanlines and all. It makes 2D games look incredibly sharp. Almost no ghosting, too!

The E1000 actually has a very nice matte finish. (how do you write that?) But it's a straight out cost cutting model, probably aimed at People buying a console for Kids. Overall for the cut in Price it got it's really not worth it. But at least the E1000 is the PSP easiest to find in good condition at a good Price right now.

I'd say best Screen is the one on the PSP GO.

Best Overall is probably the PSP 3000, but many say the 2000 is awesome.

If you're not into the PSP's poor screens, the console emulates extremely well on the PC. The games look great in HD.

http://ppsspp.org/screenshots.html

Despite what the website says, you dont really need a powerful PC to get 1080p gameplay. My mid-tier gaming rig from 2010 was able to max out all games at 60fps.

• Like 3

If you're not into the PSP's poor screens, the console emulates extremely well on the PC. The games look great in HD.

Despite what the website says, you dont really need a powerful PC to get 1080p gameplay. My mid-tier gaming rig from 2010 was able to max out all games at 60fps.

Well said. To me this console hit it perfectly on all fronts. With a modded PSP you can easily copy UMDs to the PC and emulate the games. I haven't done it yet, but I intend on buying Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, ripping it and playing on the PC. And of course, with that I can also Play the collections of fighting games and arcade games ON the PC. It's not strictly legal, but as long as I have the UMD I feel it's fair.

And then I can still Play These games on the go.

Haven't seen it mentioned, There's a Mega Man and a Ghosts and Goblings made for the PSP.

It's well known, the library of JRPGS on PSP is just huge.

I'm searching. I guess there are many more good actual hidden gems for this console ( Like Gunpey and EEE) I'll Keep searching. I think any hidden gems will be selling for nothing, since PSP UMDs right now are pretty much at the bottom of the pit of undesireable gaming trash. I'd say they are what Atari games were during the NES and SNES era, with the exception some PSP games are actually expensive. I guess back in the day Atari games were all dirt cheap. Too few People gave a toss wether an atari game was "rare" or not.

Been using this emu for a while, its fantastic. The games look great. :thumbsup:

My favorite PSP player is the Vita. The PlayStation TV (console Vita) isn't bad either. For some reason, not every PSP or PS1 game works on this Vita hardware, but there's plenty to keep someone busy forever. This list is helpful if you don't have one of each Sony system.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/337079-playstation-tv-compatibility-list-vita-psp-ps1-ps-minis-and-ps-mobile/

I'm somewhat tempted to get a PSP slim that can take a microSD adapter so I could stuff it with everything. My PSP go "only" has 32GB between the built in storage and the expensive, proprietary M2 card.

• 5 months later...

Today I show you all 200+ Sony PSP games I have in my collection and highlight some of the more rare or interesting or fun games YOU should play too! This collection is grouped by RPGs, Racing games, Puzzle games, action/platformer, sports, flight, fighting and more!

I've only recently started subscribing to your channel and I've been binging on your videos the last week and a bit (your intro song is stuck in my head). I'm digging them a lot, you seem a lot more genuine than many other U'Toobers out there and I can tell you actually care about these games (as opposed to pretending to care for views). Your guests are really interesting too, Reggie and Kinsey are very cool. Your game room has me wishing I lived in a house where I had a cool basement to play games and drink beer in.

Anyway, this video made me miss my PSP. Picked it up for $10 at a garage sale years and years ago, modded it with a new case and such, then in one of those weird moments sold it because I thought I'd get out of video game collecting. Dumb move on my part, but this video might just encourage me to go hunting for one again.

Edited by TPA5

Been getting back into the psp, myself. I've found a couple dozen amazing games so far, many of which I never had the first time around.

I love the cases so much, and the 1st and 3rd party selection makes the Vita look like a freakin game.com by comparison. So many Greats on one system.

If you want one of the best racing games for the system that actually controls and plays better than the console version, get Sega Rally.