IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

"Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. Any game IP's owned my Coleco could be released on the console, but any game IP not owned by Coleco probably wouldn't happen without new licensing deals, for example Nintendo's Donkey Kong."

Here is another funny statement, it's stated in a way to make it look like Riverwest Brand(New Coleco) owns IP's of the defunct Coleco

Pretty sure all the IP's were sold to Hasbro and some of them are probably owned by the New Atari today after Hasbro Interactive spin-off and failure.

• Like 1

You keep bringing up the retron and retrofreak as having a FPGA and that they do. However, Mike has stated that they have a custom written SNES emulation core for their FPGA. That is a far cry from what the retron and retrofreak are using it for. The system shown at the toy fair was a SNES Jr in a jaguar shell so your point is moot regardless.

Well said. The FPGA in Retron / Retro Freak does very little actual work besides serve as an interface between the cart port and the CPU, or USB in RetroFreak's case.

You keep bringing up the retron and retrofreak as having a FPGA and that they do. However, Mike has stated that they have a custom written SNES emulation core for their FPGA. That is a far cry from what the retron and retrofreak are using it for. The system shown at the toy fair was a SNES Jr in a jaguar shell so your point is moot regardless.

Keep the faith then, brother.

Keep the faith then, brother.

Don't get me wrong. I understand what you are saying but from what he has said, what he has shown, and how they deleted the video that showed the back of console and constantly delete anything that isn't praise or a shill I am more than skeptical of any thing that comes out of his mouth at this point.
  • Like 1

Quick question: If Maurice Greenberg (founder of COLECO) was alive today to see what's happened to his company name now that Mike is at the helm of the latest venture, would he be proud or ashamed of all this?

My guess, since he founded Coleco in 1932, is that he'd probably just be happy to still be alive at this point.

• Like 7

First post to this site, thanks to someone looking out for people on Facebook. I told them earlier today not releasing the specs would kill their Kickstarter, and then watched that Video as I was just seeing stuff off of popular gaming news sites. Thanks to that Video I got a boat load of information, an eassy fix for all of this would be that they actually release specs, and before the Kickstarter went live, a petition possibly to get kickstarter to confirm the Tech in the prototype before allowing it. So many kickstarters I've been interested in, and never was I more interested, but no specs, no real prototype = no money, I've read the horror stories and I def don't want to be a Putz like so many in the past! Again thank you for the Video post, I posted it over to their Facebook as well asking for them to actually release proof, but from what I read I am sure it will be deleted like others on here.

EDIT: I really do hope that that prototype was real, but the surmounting evidence says otherwise, if they can prove that it was real, I would possibly throw some serious money at it. Cartridge based gaming, with New Games, and with being able to play all the old? who wouldn't throw money at that? anyway I hope it was real, (in maury voice)but the video shows that that was a lie.

Edited by Triketra
  • Like 5

Quick question: If Maurice Greenberg (founder of COLECO) was alive today to see what's happened to his company name now that Mike is at the helm of the latest venture, would he be proud or ashamed of all this?

Maurice-Greenberg.jpg

I imagine he'd be rolling in his grave right now... :_(

= = = = = = = =

I got a nice unexpected surprise in my mailbox today. Retro Mag apparently sent me a new issue, with a heavy focus on Star Wars. Did they miss the memo that the Star Wars hype whould have gone out in December with the movie premiere? Also had a nice glossy page in the far back of the magazine advertising the RetroVGS. Scans forthcoming...

EDIT: Done! :cool:

post-33189-0-61075000-1455766037_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the speckles. It's nearly impossible to clean dust off my scanner and it always shows up on black backgrounds.

• Like 1

About the controllers.... so an extension cable might be the thing that is hardwired. That is the only thing that explains how he gets the console under the plastic case and the controller wires through the hole and how he could change a cartridge. Or is that the only explanation. I can't tell a thing by those pictures, but could an entire SNES Jr board with the controller ports fit inside that case? I could not find a picture of the Jr's logic board. iFix it only has a guide for the first SNES. No need to hardwire a thing maybe....

yes, a ton of room. i lined up the cartridge slots of the consoles. not going to take them apart again:

ejf5JiGm.jpg

they were not hardwired. unless they are calling "plugged into the connectors" hard wiring.

Edited by mickcris
  • Like 8

Those people, that man, were quite awesome. They just got caught in the Video Game Bust.... and they were making a dream computer at the time, the Coleco Adam, and didn't catch alot of bugs. Just caught at the wrong time with too much on their plate.

They owned ColecoVision and Cabbage Patch Kids, they were doing awesome!
That man was all business too. Put superior versions out on the Coleco, and stillmake okay Nintendo stuff (They released Nintendo's games in the US) for the Atari to make more money.

He'd kick some people we've talked about here in the teeth!

given the fact that man looks like he is about to beat an underling with a rod of steel (really what is that in his hands) I think he might have a realistic and honest opinion

Looks like they did another clean up round on their FB page. I got banned in the process. My posts were never mean and I didn't spam their page (I had 6 - 8 posts since the Toy Fair).

I have been given their Banhammer as well, no surprise.

I can read but not reply. hahaha and all of my comments are gone.

I'm sooooo glad I'm not on Facebook... :P

Electrical tape on the back of the cartridge is likely due to Mike not yet having the Cart tooling Die grinded, and it still has "ATARI" on it, so they had to cover it up.

jeezus christ

seriously?

its plastic, take a 1$ chisel to the text and slice it off, take 10 cents worth of sandpaper to smooth it out, then take a 99 cent cigarette lighter to gloss the plastic back over boom done, have done it 1,000 times its a whole 5 min worth of effort and give a fuck

im not arguing the guts (which yes all signs point to fraud), but if this shamble of dont give a shit is what they announce to the world, in a trade fair as a prototype, I dont want to even think about giving a single penny to the real deal.

cause I know its going to be the worst quality garbage

Edited by Osgeld

jeezus christ

seriously?

its plastic, take a 1$ chisel to the text and slice it off, take 10 cents worth of sandpaper to smooth it out, then take a 99 cent cigarette lighter to gloss the plastic back over boom done, have done it 1,000 times its a whole 5 min worth of effort and give a fuck

He obviously tried that, melted the plastic too much on the shell and now that melted plastic pokes out from the side and YOU people think it's a SNES flash cart in there when it's just a melt job gone wrong!

There's a perfectly good explanation for all of this!!1!1!!!!!!!!1!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HOLY SHIT! I just realized he has electrical tape on the FRONT of the console as well!!

Check it out:

coleco-toy-fair-1-9-1280x853.jpg

EDIT: Also, there's a tiny bit of tape on the tip before the Chameleon logo. Maybe the mold is damaged?? Why would it be taped right there?

Why does he have tape on the front?

Because there's a big honkin' Atari logo on it!

3173_20_atari-jaguar-cd.jpg.png

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 6