IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Apparently people are willing to pay US$588 for a high-quality machine like the Analogue NT (incl. HDMI adapter). I don't think that even includes controllers, and the special colors are even more.

The guys on the Giant Bomb podcast mentioned earlier praised it heavily during the Chameleon segment.

That's a lot of money for a salvaged Famicom, some output adapters, and a pretty case. I'm sure they have their fans, but probably not in massive numbers.

• Like 2

Mike has tried to get in touch but not to appear on the show as a guest but to try and smooth over the wrongs he has done with a coke and a smile. That is not going to happen.

Having the "team" on the show has been shown to be no way of getting to the truth. Can you really see Mike coming on RGR and admitting it was a SNES mini?

You would just the standard marketing flannel again.

Mike would be welcome on the show as a guest if what we really got was the truth, and if he wants to come on and set the record straight about the whole project from inception through various teams and funding routes to not one but two fake prototypes then we would be more than happy to do that.

I don't see it happening.

So how about Steve Woita his partner in all this? Maybe invite him to come on the show?

• Like 2

Ah, Eli (I assume it's Eli) or whichever rep of Piko this is...

He has said back in the threads and in an open letter posted on his website that, he is not a stupid person, and he will let the KS start, and have more to say after that (I think an NDA lifts or something).

So, he's good. If a real working SNES perfect playing prototype materializes... then he doesn't have to do the damage. If not, then, well, he can tell you he had an NDA on and burn it.

I was never under NDA until this last Tuesday/Wednesday. There are some things that you do just for being a professional. Hopefully I'm not being too professional.

Piko, I am not trying to stir up something against you. I just think you get an automatic pass from the forum because you're a developer that

takes time to post here.

Regarding the "....I can't really help you" - I don't need help. Well, maybe I do, in understanding how you cannot be negative about the Coleco

Chameleon project?

I tried finding the video where you are at the toy fair, standing right in front of the CC talking with Mike Kennedy. You have no idea that it is a

SNES in a Jaguar case? How am I the only one that think that it is a slight bit suspect?

/Nicholas

It certainly looks like you are stirring something up and it is completely unfair. I've been here the whole time as and I've provided what CC team couldn't; information and transparency; and now I am somehow responsible for the mess they have created? I don't have stock on this company, I am just a license owner.

Now I hope the AA community comes forward and really proves wrong the blame you are putting on me. ( If you guys really want me to keep posting here and not be scared the s**t about this place. )

For now, I am just going to make official statements from our website.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 12

I was never under NDA until this last Tuesday/Wednesday. There are some things that you do just for being a professional. Hopefully I'm not being too professional.

It certainly looks like you are stirring something up and it is completely unfair. I've been here the whole time as and I've provided what CC team couldn't; information and transparency; and now I am somehow responsible for the mess they have created? I don't have stock on this company, I am just a license owner.

Now I hope the AA community comes forward and really proves wrong the blame you are putting on me. ( If you guys really want me to keep posting here and not be scared the s**t about this place. )

Really? I don't understand why some people are in your ass or why you are so defensive. Mike has been deceitful from the beginning and if you are a victim of it as well then it isn't your fault. I read your statements where you were surprised the game that you brought for lootcrate worked without a hitch. That was all I needed to read. Don't let one dick run you off.
  • Like 1

I will ask though. How many sprites does the Jaguar do? I remember Panther had as many sprites as the SNES and X68000 had colors, lol.

Did Jaguar change that spec at all? I know Super Burnout is a monster, a wonderful racer you should play if you get a chance.

If there's one thing the Jaguar does really well it's 2D sprites. The OP in the Jaguar is a monster in this regard, and you can throw a lot at it if you do it right (give it too much, and it fails spectacularly). It can handle bit depths from 1 BPP up to 24 BPP all on the same screen, so it's no slouch in the color department either.

• Like 2

To me he look like he is honest, and cares for the Retro community.

Mike is the one allowing wild statements to grow, as a lot of people have Legitimate

questions on both the system hardware, and software.

Them not being answered rises the fear that RetroVGS is a scam

He did state you can also support him on Stream , and other Retro Platforms, if you dislike this project and want his games.

Edited by enoofu
  • Like 2

No worries, I withdraw my thoughts about this. No need for you to have me drawn and quartered by the AA community.

/Nicholas

Edited by AE35
  • Like 1

Apparently people are willing to pay US$588 for a high-quality machine like the Analogue NT (incl. HDMI adapter). I don't think that even includes controllers, and the special colors are even more.

The guys on the Giant Bomb podcast mentioned earlier praised it heavily during the Chameleon segment.

Yes, but it also has a huge library of games out of the box and has its own unique look, not to mention seems to be a very high quality item. Not too many people would pay that kind of money for a system with no games (outside of collectors).

I admire what Analogue does because there are already a bunch of low - medium quality clones out there. No point in fighting for the bottom of the barrel. The price is high, but not a shock considering how they are made.

If FPGA emulation discussions here have taught me one thing, it's that emulation is ok in the mind of a hardcore collector as long as they can still buy their rare games and e-penis collecting shit to use on it. Only then is emulation fine. But once you can't hoarde that dumb rare shit, emulation is baaaaaaaaaad. :grin:

• Like 1

If FPGA emulation discussions here have taught me one thing, it's that emulation is ok in the mind of a hardcore collector as long as they can still buy their rare games and e-penis collecting shit to use on it. Only then is emulation fine. But once you can't hoarde that dumb rare shit, emulation is baaaaaaaaaad. :grin:

Something along those lines, but there's more to it.

PC (or even RPi2) Emu is a little clunky in the way you need to configure everything and the way to connect to a big TV.

I'd like one box where all the reasonable defaults have already been set for all the various "cores", that entails very few USB controllers are preconfig (PS3, XB360 wired seems to be the likely choice).

The second part is that emu in the past allowed homebrews/hacks to run that wouldn't run at all on the real hardware unbeknownst to the author, and that caused some grief later. I wouldn't mind emu/FPGA to allow for faster CPU, PPU or in general 2x speed etc... as long as it is explicit (and in many cases it is, I know).

The promise of the FPGA based retro gaming is that (if it works) there should be really little fidgeting involved (maybe owners of the retrofreak/Retron5 can speak/contrast as those are emu based instead) and possibility to get higher fidelity with relatively less hardware (so that one godforsaken game I do wan't to play, does play as it should).

At the end of the day is anyone's choice. I started with emu in the late 90s when the first SNES9x were around and thought we were done, turns out we weren't.

Then I went "real hardware" (last decade or so) and the pain to use HDMI + some system ctrls are utter crap makes me want a third solution, kevtris Z3000 (HDMI only is fine) seems the likely candidate if it is ever built.

Is not that emu per se cannot be that third solution but usually the host OS is cause for some grief (update this, reboot that, and assorted nonsense).

EDIT: this is my opinion, I am not trying to convince anyone of it, I just know this is how I feel and what I would like the Z3000 to be!!! And hoped the CC could be (be it likely won't so moot point there).

Edited by phoenixdownita

You're personally responsible for any backlash you received. Your comments were out of line.

You're personally responsible for any backlash you received. Your comments were out of line.

I never said I wasn't.

Hey guys, lets not concentrate on minor things. Hopefully discussion from now on is on topic.

• Like 5

Ohhhhh, no reward tier announcement today :(

Just:

"Look for our final reward tiers to be announced this week."

I thought they had a "check back at 7AM PST tomorrow for the next reward" on yesterday's Intellivision announcement, but either I'm mistaken or they changed it when they realized they still had 6 days to fill. I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and assume RVGS dickery because I'm a hater.

The obvious next steps are to just add everything together, possibly at a slightly lower price to entice the collectors but probably at full retail. If I were them and insisted on physical media all over the place, I wouldn't want package deals to cut into my risky margins for manufacturing. Since they're constrained by their plastic collectible stuff, they're not like Steam or GOG that can elastically adjust digital prices whenever they want.

• Like 2

I thought they had a "check back at 7AM PST tomorrow for the next reward" on yesterday's Intellivision announcement, but either I'm mistaken or they changed it when they realized they still had 6 days to fill. I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and assume RVGS dickery because I'm a hater.

I'm pretty sure it was changed, as I remember the same.

• Like 1

The obvious next steps are to just add everything together, possibly at a slightly lower price to entice the collectors but probably at full retail. If I were them and insisted on physical media all over the place, I wouldn't want package deals to cut into my risky margins for manufacturing. Since they're constrained by their plastic collectible stuff, they're not like Steam or GOG that can elastically adjust digital prices whenever they want.

But what happened to all the translucent, legend, bronze, silver, gold colors they were promising the first time around?

Do you think they realized how stupid it was? No .... not the choice of colors (I think in these days an age of lean manufacturing [and this is Mike's bread and butter] color should be easily customizeable) but the fact that basically it was the "big deal" part of the "reward".

I still think that if they can manufacture them in different colors they should allow the backers to choose whatever they want with maybe the need to reach a minimum number and negotiation when they cannot achieve said minimum (say I am the only one who wants "leprechaun green" from the offering [sorry I meant the Zelda legend of the old RVGS tier], when KS is over call me [don't lie about me being in the minority if it is not the case] and let me choose among the few colors that would actually be made).

EDIT: also so far no "proto" of those CV/INTV ctrls they offer on the more expensive tiers .... nevermind maybe it is in their best interest NOT to try (we know they don't have them at all, yet it pisses me off they promise them so lightheartedly)

This reaperman meme was golden and it seems even more true now.

WhKngUH.jpg

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 6

Hey guys, lets not concentrate on minor things. Hopefully discussion from now on is on topic.

Goldenegg, I thought there was something weird/fishy going on when I saw the picture. Now I know for a fact that it isn't so.

I will take Piko's advice and move on, and I will not address it anymore.

Thanks!

Nicholas

But what happened to all the translucent, legend, bronze, silver, gold colors they were promising the first time around?

Do you think they realized how stupid it was? No .... not the choice of colors (I think in these days an age of lean manufacturing [and this is Mike's bread and butter] color should be easily customizeable) but the fact that basically it was the "big deal" part of the "reward".

I still think that if they can manufacture them in different colors they should allow the backers to chose whatever they want with maybe the need to reach a minimum number and negotiation when they cannot achieve said minimum (say I am the only one that wants "leprechaun green" [sorry I meant the Zelda legend of the old RVGS tier] from the offering, when KS is over call me [don't lie about me being in the minority if it is not the case] and let me chose among the few colors that would actually be made).

EDIT: also so far no "proto" of those CV/INTV ctrls they so much talk about .... nevermind maybe it is in their best interest no to try (we know they don't have them at all, yet it pisses me off they promise them so lightheartedly)

Yeah, you're right, they're probably saving their 1999 iMac color gimmick for the grand finale. Sigh.

A polite, respectful Kickstarter campaign question might be: "I can't find prototype pictures of the ColecoVision or Intellivision controllers that were promised at the higher tiers. Can you post them, please?"

I really should leave this crap alone, I'm not going to buy it, it's not going to happen, and it's all a colossal waste of time and energy. Why can't I just walk away?

• Like 4