IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

" We will be making a formal response soon to this explaining that it was not just a SNES stuffed into our Shell."

I know what the announcement is going to be:

Sure. It was an snes mini, but there was also a cyclone 5 FPGA in there. It was just sitting there doing nothing, but it was actually inside of the case, At the time I didin't know the FPGA wasn't connected, because, you know, I'm not a Hardware guy. Our Hardware Guru told me "The FPGA is in the Jaguar shell" And I thought it was running you know? But then when I got back to the lab, out engineer explained to me, he actually meant he forgot the FPGA in there, and he wanted it back, so he could go back to work. Now, since the FPGA was away from our labs, and the engineer couldn't work for a while, that delayed the development of our cores. So we're launching the Kickstarter without a fully working prototype. But it will be comming very soon, with specs and more game announcements. So hang in there, wait just a bit more, and we'll blow your socks off. We're working on what you asked, so give us a bit more time.

-Mike K. Retro in. CEO, Enterpreneur through and through...

• Like 11

" We will be making a formal response soon to this explaining that it was not just a SNES stuffed into our Shell."

Sure. It was an snes mini, but there was also a cyclone 5 FPGA in there. It was just sitting there doing nothing, but it was actually inside of the case, At the time I didin't know the FPGA wasn't connected, because, you know, I'm not a Hardware guy. Our Hardware Guru told me "The FPGA is in the Jaguar shell" And I thought it was running you know? But then when I got back to the lab, out engineer explained to me, he actually meant he forgot the FPGA in there, and he wanted it back, so he could go back to work. Now, since the FPGA was away from our labs, and the engineer couldn't work for a while, that delayed the development of our cores. So we're launching the Kickstarter without a fully working prototype. But it will be comming very soon, with specs and more game announcements. So hang in there, wait just a bit more, and we'll blow your socks off. We're working on what you asked, so give us a bit more time.

If this is it, then it's gonna match the CPC472 for Spain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_CPC#CPC472), just throw some unconnected components to pass the "test".

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

How long you guys guess before this is hacked to play ...more than the 10 games likely released for it? Assuming the system is released at all?

I mean, if all he wants is money for his jaguar shell investment, just sell different colored shells.

Btw I have a problem with his game plan I don't think has been mentioned. A console shell has build in supports for things like motherboards and power supplies. How exactly are they going to be able to engineer a custom chip that just so happens to have mounting holes where the original jaguar had them? Now, a real company could do this no problem, but his team? I have no faith it would be anything but a board duct taped to the inside of the shell.

Edited by MotoRacer

How long you guys guess before this is hacked to play ...more than the 10 games likely released for it? Assuming the system is released at all?

I mean, if all he wants is money for his jaguar shell investment, just sell different colored shells.

Btw I have a problem with his game plan I don't think has been mentioned. A console shell has build in supports for things like motherboards and power supplies. How exactly are they going to be able to engineer a custom chip that just so happens to have mounting holes where the original jaguar had them? Now, a real company could do this no problem, but his team? I have no faith it would be anything but a board duct taped to the inside of the shell.

I'm taking this as poignant sarcasm.

• Like 1

I still can't see the replies under that Facebook post or the one they have pinned. I can see replies under others, though. Weird.

Original:

We will be making a formal response soon to this explaining that it was not just a SNES stuffed into our shell.

Meaning 1:

We will be making a formal response soon to this, explaining that it was not just "a SNES stuffed into our shell".

Meaning 2:

We will be making a formal response soon to this, explaining that it was not only a SNES that was stuffed into our shell.

I think it's meaning #1 in that he was paraphrasing the naysayers.

• Like 4

Probably because their Facebook page is full of Salted Accounts from marketing

Skip ahead to 28 seconds:

ful·ly ar·chi·tec·ted

/ˈfo͝olē ˈärkəˌtektˌəd/

adjective

• built out of something other than electrical tape, hot glue, and empty plastic hopes and dreams.
(Definition from the COLECO Business English Dictionary © COLECO Press)

Corrected.

• Like 2

If it was fully architected FPGA gaming console that supported SNES, Atari 2600, Intellivision and a few other consoles why isn't Mike showing this to Tech Media to build up positive buzz for his Kickstarter

You might have a Point. I'm starting to get unsure about this project now...

• Like 2

Is "much more to show and prove" code for "shoving the guts of one console into the shell of another was enough to fool the fools, but now we're scrambling to pull something real out of our asses before the deadline in an attempt to make the naysayers think it's what we were using the whole time"?

• Like 4

Holy shit. That's real??!?

I saw one of their commercials on TV a month or two ago. It's for people who are so stupid that they can't even drag and drop:

youtube.com/watch?v=mnxSDFELRkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnxSDFELRkw

The commercial I saw on TV was similar to the one that Nathan Strum posted. It was about making dummies a Facebook page, but the one I saw doesn't seem to be on YouTube.

B+. Good effort, but too short to be an authentic Mike communication. Needs less ownership of mistakes, more excuses, and more cliches.

Here are some Mikeisms you can use to do this again for extra credit, make a free-association Sarah-Palin style rap speech, make a bingo board for the Kickstarter, or just enjoy the word salad.

Guys,

I just wanted to address

push the hardware

now and in the future

next gen

It really is amazing how everything gets turned around in these forums

We are just three legitimate guys

want to bring a cool product to market

It's as simple as that.

a real sustainable business

support the platform for a long time.

meaningful constructive criticism

some legitimate interest here

I don't recall lying or being misleading

we aren't in a rush to launch with more than 6-10 titles

We don't want to oversaturate the games

RVGS can bring these games to the forefront

a NEW console that plays games like they enjoyed playing growing up

a viable alternative to the other modern day gaming systems

it's a balancing act

trying to please as many people as possible

trying to keep the price affordable

give my team a fair shot

win back your trust

address the concerns

we will be working on fleshing out the initial game launch list

Hey guys!

I just wanted to address the cartridge pricing.

Do you guys think I am out of line here?

I wanted to come in here and ask those of you who will listen to let the past be the past as it relates to this (ad)venture.

The Chameleon is not just a rebranded Retro VGS.

Despite sharing some of the same internal components the hardware has been completely redesigned

To boil this all down to its essence

There are clearly lots of people on both sides of this fence

ultimately it will all come down to the games that can be played

if they are compelling enough to vie for peoples hard earned money.

The COLECO branding was a business decision I made to bring instant brand recognition to the Chameleon.

I did not enter into this licensing agreement lightly,

The recognition of having the COLECO logo on the system and the (game and console) boxes will make the Chameleon immediately identifiable by millions of people right from the beginning.

they want to officially begin rebuilding this brand in more concrete ways.

We know we have a mountain to climb

prepared to do what it takes to plant a flag at the top

I will once again apologize to all of you

it was hard being criticized by a group of my Atari and classic game lovin’ peers

I do regret all of it

we gave you all plenty to poke fun at and criticize

the product will be much better for going through all of this

In my mind,

the best way for me to apologize once and for all

is to ultimately create a game system

will make most of you turn a 180 and win over your support and positive influence.

And given the chance that is what I will do.

Let it speak for itself when we reveal it to you

If it did happen, it would be done at a later time.

We will be making a formal response soon to this

explaining that it was not just a SNES stuffed into our shell

I can assure you that is not what we have been working on the past year

We have lots more to show and prove yet this week.

The excitement should still be high

the first fully architected FPGA gaming console we've created

We will address the Toy Fair unit

now that we have dug out from all the great leads from the show

We still have much more to show and prove yet this week.

Thanks for keeping the faith!

post-2410-0-71592000-1456172408_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Not proof, but if he can show a working SNES with FPGA hacked into it AND RUNNING, just days after the fair, then it's certainly possible that is what they had running at the time. We can only speculate why he didn't feel the need to open it up and show the proof at the time.

Why would you go through the trouble of hacking a FPGA into a system that already plays SNES Games into a SNES to play SNES Games? Go back to retroland because you are obviously a plant.
  • Like 1