IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

The prototype, if one even exists, couldn't be stable enough to show at the Toy Fair show.

The demo unit had to be playable AND reliable. To avoid any embarrassment, it was decided to put an actual SNES in the shell. The Toy Fair was an important event and it HAD to go well.

The Kickstarter campaign can ride off of photos, demo reels and press release information. There is plenty of time to make the "dream" a reality. The immediate need was to make the Toy Fair successful.

That's how I see it.

I feel bad for the people on FB waiting to turn over their money to help fund this.

• Like 4

Is "much more to show and prove" code for "shoving the guts of one console into the shell of another was enough to fool the fools, but now we're scrambling to pull something real out of our asses before the deadline in an attempt to make the naysayers think it's what we were using the whole time"?

"we have much more to show and prove"

/wē hav məCH môr to͞o SHō and pro͞ov/

phrase

• we're scrambling to pull something new out of our asses, in an attempt to prove that we have something to show.
(Definition from the COLECO Business English Dictionary © COLECO Press)
  • Like 7

Why would you go through the trouble of hacking a FPGA into a system that already plays SNES Games into a SNES to play SNES Games? Go back to retroland because you are obviously a plant.

You have 25 posts here and your calling me a plant? I've been on this forum for a long time and have only made a few posts on this game systems's topics. I can only guess at what Mike will eventually show. It makes no sense to me either why he would graft an FPGA into an SNES. The only part he should need from the SNES is the cartridge slot. I'm just trying to guess at how he could present something that would not contradict the statements he's made so far about the system that was shown at the toy fair.

• Like 1

The lack of new and exciting announcements is making the speculation run on his own ..... I see how that works now.

We need more CC announcements, it's like a drug, we need the real deal, we can only make it up so much among ourselves.

It's the final countdown, nanana na, na na na nanna, nanana na, na na na nanna ......

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

The lack of new and exciting announcements is making the speculation run on his own ..... I see how that works now.

We need more CC announcements, it's like a drug, we need the real deal, we can only make it up so much among ourselves.

It is pretty strange that the announcements have stopped. I was fully expecting them to keep making stupid announcements all the way up to the $1000+ tiers. It could be a sign of something going on behind the curtain.

You have to remember, they're currently crafting the Kickstarter page and maybe even have all of it done at this very moment. Maybe Kickstarter looked it over and said "uhhh... nope! Try again!" and now they're (again) doubting whether they can launch it on Kickstarter. That might sound absurd because they should have learned that lesson a long time ago, but I think the Toy Fair proved there's a lot of lessons they haven't learned.

Or who knows? Maybe they just ran out of game bundles to announce already.

Damn. Double post, sorry, meant to edit the top one.

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 1

It is pretty strange that the announcements have stopped. I was fully expecting them to keep making stupid announcements all the way up to the $1000+ tiers. It could be a sign of something going on behind the curtain.

You have to remember, they're currently crafting the Kickstarter page and maybe even have all of it done at this very moment. Maybe Kickstarter looked it over and said "uhhh... nope! Try again!" and now they're (again) doubting whether they can launch it on Kickstarter. That might sound absurd because they should have learned that lesson a long time ago, but I think the Toy Fair proved there's a lot of lessons they haven't learned.

Or who knows? Maybe they just ran out of game bundles to announce already.

Damn. Double post, sorry, meant to edit the top one.

For me is that all the added irony/sarcasm is getting a little dry without new announcements/blunders/whatchamacallit to tear apart.

But it's only me so I'll be fine until they come up with something.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

From the replies posted by PlaysWithWolves:

I don't want to overreact, but what the hell are these people talking about??? If the NES and Sega Genesis are what they want, they can still buy both TODAY!!! The systems are relatively cheap, are available from multiple sources, and there are plenty of games that can be bought on cartridge for peanuts even in today's inflated market!!! Why do we need a whole new console to "bring them back"???

Now I know why Pat Contri flipped out over the same subject on the most recent #CUPodcast. It's amazing that people are blindly buying into this thing without even asking whether it has any reason to exist.

Something new that repackages the old is cool. Actual old things that you can't buy off the shelf at Walmart or Target are icky and not cool at all.

That's absolutely right. Who wants some ratbag infested console that needs to be disassembled and washed and basically fumigated? I've seen funky sticky white "gluey" crusting up in some units I repaired. Othertimes moving insects and just malodorous odors would just emanate from the unit.

Not everyone cares for their consoles and keeps them pristine you know. So there is definitely a market for new gear!

Is "fully architected" a thing now?

Just typical marketing speak speak. Fully designed and tested. Fully engineered. Completely engineered.. Yup!

" We will be making a formal response soon to this explaining that it was not just a SNES stuffed into our Shell."

I know what the announcement is going to be:

Sure. It was an snes mini, but there was also a cyclone 5 FPGA in there. It was just sitting there doing nothing, but it was actually inside of the case, At the time I didin't know the FPGA wasn't connected, because, you know, I'm not a Hardware guy. Our Hardware Guru told me "The FPGA is in the Jaguar shell" And I thought it was running you know? But then when I got back to the lab, out engineer explained to me, he actually meant he forgot the FPGA in there, and he wanted it back, so he could go back to work. Now, since the FPGA was away from our labs, and the engineer couldn't work for a while, that delayed the development of our cores. So we're launching the Kickstarter without a fully working prototype. But it will be comming very soon, with specs and more game announcements. So hang in there, wait just a bit more, and we'll blow your socks off. We're working on what you asked, so give us a bit more time.

-Mike K. Retro in. CEO, Enterpreneur through and through...

You know nothing of any announcement. Blahh blahh blah blah!

• Like 1

B+. Good effort, but too short to be an authentic Mike communication. Needs less ownership of mistakes, more excuses, and more cliches.

Here are some Mikeisms you can use to do this again for extra credit, make a free-association Sarah-Palin style rap speech, make a bingo board for the Kickstarter, or just enjoy the word salad.

Guys,

I just wanted to address

push the hardware

now and in the future

next gen

It really is amazing how everything gets turned around in these forums

We are just three legitimate guys

want to bring a cool product to market

It's as simple as that.

a real sustainable business

support the platform for a long time.

meaningful constructive criticism

some legitimate interest here

I don't recall lying or being misleading

we aren't in a rush to launch with more than 6-10 titles

We don't want to oversaturate the games

RVGS can bring these games to the forefront

a NEW console that plays games like they enjoyed playing growing up

a viable alternative to the other modern day gaming systems

it's a balancing act

trying to please as many people as possible

trying to keep the price affordable

give my team a fair shot

win back your trust

address the concerns

we will be working on fleshing out the initial game launch list

Hey guys!

I just wanted to address the cartridge pricing.

Do you guys think I am out of line here?

I wanted to come in here and ask those of you who will listen to let the past be the past as it relates to this (ad)venture.

The Chameleon is not just a rebranded Retro VGS.

Despite sharing some of the same internal components the hardware has been completely redesigned

To boil this all down to its essence

There are clearly lots of people on both sides of this fence

ultimately it will all come down to the games that can be played

if they are compelling enough to vie for peoples hard earned money.

The COLECO branding was a business decision I made to bring instant brand recognition to the Chameleon.

I did not enter into this licensing agreement lightly,

The recognition of having the COLECO logo on the system and the (game and console) boxes will make the Chameleon immediately identifiable by millions of people right from the beginning.

they want to officially begin rebuilding this brand in more concrete ways.

We know we have a mountain to climb

prepared to do what it takes to plant a flag at the top

I will once again apologize to all of you

it was hard being criticized by a group of my Atari and classic game lovin’ peers

I do regret all of it

we gave you all plenty to poke fun at and criticize

the product will be much better for going through all of this

In my mind,

the best way for me to apologize once and for all

is to ultimately create a game system

will make most of you turn a 180 and win over your support and positive influence.

And given the chance that is what I will do.

Let it speak for itself when we reveal it to you

If it did happen, it would be done at a later time.

We will be making a formal response soon to this

explaining that it was not just a SNES stuffed into our shell

I can assure you that is not what we have been working on the past year

We have lots more to show and prove yet this week.

The excitement should still be high

the first fully architected FPGA gaming console we've created

We will address the Toy Fair unit

now that we have dug out from all the great leads from the show

We still have much more to show and prove yet this week.

Thanks for keeping the faith!

Screw the Coleco Chameleon.

I want someone to plug this word salad into an FPGA and make a real working Mike Kennedy simulator. I'm willing to drop $500,000 cash on the barrelhead.

(Prototype must be authentic and delivered by noon EST Feb 26/2016)

• Like 8

Just remember, no refunds from Kickstarter. Dream On.

Lyrics

Every time when I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by, like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got the dues in life to pay

I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody sin
You got to lose to know how to win

Half my life
Is books, written pages
Live and learn from fools and
From sages
You know it's true, oh
All these feelings come back to you

Sing with me, sing for the years
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
Sing with me, just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away

Yeah, sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tear

Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
Dream until your dreams come true
Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
Dream until your dreams come true
Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
Dream on

Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing with me, sing for the year

Good question! :)

Wait for the Kickstarter to show up, read it carefully, and decide if this is worthwhile to you. Be wary of "giving" money to someone based on a dream (do research here on AA and elsewhere). Personally, based on the history of this non-product and the people involved, I won't participate in this particular Kickstarter, unless the product is 100% completed (it won't be) and ready to ship. If it's ever available sometime later, I'll decide then if it's worth spending money on.

Ah, so they haven't launched a Kickstarter yet. I did some more searching and many speculate that this could be a potential scam. What are your thoughts on that?

Why would you go through the trouble of hacking a FPGA into a system that already plays SNES Games into a SNES to play SNES Games? Go back to retroland because you are obviously a plant.

If you've developed a FPGA implementation of the SNES's custom chips, installing it onto a retail SNES board in place of the original cpu, etc seems like a reasonable way to demonstrate it's working correctly. You don't have to worry about designing the cart slot, controller hookups, video generator, etc. Just hook up the FPGA to the right spots on the board and the whole thing should behave like the original.

This is the only feasible explanation they could have at this point. For the record, I very much doubt this is what happened. Nothing they've done so far has shown any sort of accomplishment on the order of what that would entail.

• Like 2