IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Since this is turning out to be a no-news day, here's a retrospective on the infamoud Game.com handheld:

http://gcom.oldergames.com/gcomiv.htm

One quote stood out:

my memory of the system wasn't too good, but I recall they made all the typical mistakes a company new to video games can make: they cheaped out on hardware, treated their developers like crap so nobody wanted to do a second game for them, paid everybody late, and never advertised their product. It was like working for Atari all over again.

That might also explain how Triverse seems to have some inside knowledge of today's disaster, even though he's carefully not said anything.

Indeed. He hinted that he would be involved with Coleco for a magazine about them... The speculation gets deeper! Is good ol' Triverse in the know? NDA? Black magic?

• Like 2

The system is almost entirely automated,

Kickstarter relies primarily on people reporting bad actors rather than trying very hard to pre-emptively filter them. Basically if your campaign breaks any rules and gets passed the filters, there's a strong possibility of it being canceled.

I don't see this as a significant advantage for Mike, since once the KS is live, people will be reporting him left and right. He'll get dozens, if not hundreds, of reports the first day. KS will of course have to review that, if they care at all, which I think they do.

If Mike takes this live, there is no way around defending his prototype to Kickstarter. I think that's the main reason it's not live right now. The only question in my mind is if Mike made the call himself or had a lawyer tape his mouth shut.

• Like 3

Indeed. He hinted that he would be involved with Coleco for a magazine about them... The speculation gets deeper! Is good ol' Triverse in the know? NDA? Black magic?

Triverse stated that he would reveal all in an exposé once the Kickstarter launched. But without the Kickstarter going live, Triverse is still under personal, moral, or legal obligation not to disclose stuff? Confused... :???:

Another idea is perhaps Triverse smelled the BS but was waiting for Mike Kennedy to make the opening move before he played his. Kinda like a chess match. I'll break. Pawn to D4. :D

• Like 1

I don't see this as a significant advantage for Mike, since once the KS is live, people will be reporting him left and right. He'll get dozens, if not hundreds, of reports the first day. KS will of course have to review that, if they care at all, which I think they do.

If Mike takes this live, there is no way around defending his prototype to Kickstarter. I think that's the main reason it's not live right now. The only question in my mind is if Mike made the call himself or had a lawyer tape his mouth shut.

Yeah I don't think it is an advantage for them at all, it might even be the primary reason it isn't happening today. If the Toy Fair prototype really is the only prototype, KS would probably pull the plug and that would look worse than delaying the launch.

welll, actuallly...

Didn't Coleco.com have a little corner of their page dedicated to the Chameleon coming in 2016 once?

If so, that ain't there now!

I'm not 100% sure I saw that, anyone else have a vague recollection?

Since this is a "speculation" thread, I think that it's not unreasonable to start speculating on "WTF happened"!

Here's my guess ... I suspect that River West got cold feet about the negative publicity and the potential damage to the Coleco brand, especially after the "fraud" at the Toy Fair, and they yanked the Coleco license away from Mike a few days ago.

The "fraud" gives them perfect reason to do so, and to totally come out smelling-of-roses as the guys that protected a beloved American brand from the charlatan that had fooled them into letting him almost ruin it.

That might also explain how Triverse seems to have some inside knowledge of today's disaster, even though he's carefully not said anything.

Just total speculation ... but that was what this thread was set up for.

• Like 1

Mike doesn't live too far away from me, it is only 1:30pm here.

While there's still a good amount of the day left, being completely silent is a really weird choice. It's not surprising people are thinking something's up, especially since someone is still deleting messages on FB.

Since this is a "speculation" thread, I think that it's not unreasonable to start speculating on "WTF happened"!

Here's my guess ... I suspect that River West got cold feet about the negative publicity and the potential damage to the Coleco brand, especially after the "fraud" at the Toy Fair, and they yanked the Coleco license away from Mike a few days ago.

The "fraud" gives them perfect reason to do so, and to totally come out smelling-of-roses as the guys that protected a beloved American brand from the charlatan that had fooled them into letting him almost ruin it.

Triverse stated that he would reveal all in an exposé once the Kickstarter launched. But without the Kickstarter going live, Triverse is still under personal, moral, or legal obligation not to disclose stuff? Confused... :???:

Another idea is perhaps Triverse smelled the BS but was waiting for Mike Kennedy to make the opening move before he played his. Kinda like a chess match. I'll break. Pawn to D4. :D

Well triverse liked every and each of these posts .... hopefully he can tell us when he can tell us something about what happened, and maybe he can tell us why he couldn't tell us before.

• Like 2

As speculation goes, this sounds pretty plausible to me ... except for the complete silence. Someone needs to step forward and say something.

As Mike/Parrothead said on December 23, 2015: "It was time for us to establish a new identity for this product moving forward and that was one of the main goals of the press release. We are having a variety of ongoing conversations with companies and people who are working with us in various capacities on this project and we've stopped referring to it as the RVGS. It was something that needed to be done."

Just change RVGS to Coleco Chameleon and you're done.

If your speculation is correct, my faith (if not my trust) in COLECO is somewhat restored.

• Like 5

While there's still a good amount of the day left, being completely silent is a really weird choice. It's not surprising people are thinking something's up, especially since someone is still deleting messages on FB.

Why? He knows damn well that everyone is just waiting to pummel him on KS.

• Like 1

As speculation goes, this sounds pretty plausible to me ... except for the complete silence. Someone needs to step forward and say something.

As Mike/Parrothead said on December 23, 2015: "It was time for us to establish a new identity for this product moving forward and that was one of the main goals of the press release. We are having a variety of ongoing conversations with companies and people who are working with us in various capacities on this project and we've stopped referring to it as the RVGS. It was something that needed to be done."

Just change RVGS to Coleco Chameleon and you're done.

If your speculation is correct, my faith (if not my trust) in COLECO is somewhat restored.

Yeah, yeah, we felt we had to make a branding move and Fairchild has been courting us for months now so were making the change to revitalize the Channel F brand by making a very personal console with colors and controllers customized to the buyer, we call it the F You.

Edited by Pipercub
  • Like 21

If I was a betting man, my money is on elmer's theory. Coleco pulls the plug, Mike is completely screwed, yet is insane enough to tend to and delete comments. Triverse being cryptic is tied to elmer's guess like glue.

And if there's one thing elmer knows, it's glue.

Or else I'm totally wrong. Either way.

• Like 5