IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I'm trying to figure out why "Coleco" even needs Mike.

1. The idea of a console that plays old games on a cart is hardly novel.

2. I doubt he's actually bringing any proprietary hardware into the deal. It looks like they're still figuring out what to run it on and who will develop cores for it.

3. There are others who can already do this and would make better partners. They just won't have Jaguar shells available.

4. Retro VGS has baggage that doesn't help Coleco's image at all.

• Like 7

Is that the same prototype that was in the deleted John Carlsen video? That would explain this picture of hardware. The video could just be a custo front-end for an existing SNES emulator.

Given the total lack of explanation regarding the toy fair, that's the situation that seems the most likely to me.

• Like 1

The Real Prototype is what they posted to facebook, and it doesn't work. (A SNES mini is hidden behind and connected to the TV in the picture.)

They had to use a SNES mini at the Toy Fair, because they needed something that worked.

Isn't it interesting that the Jag shell is not completly clear, and hides the contents from being seen clearly.

Isn't it interesting that the watermark on the pictures hides the contents of the Jag shell from being seen clearly.

• Like 2

Yeah, these photos look very odd. It's as if they wanted to create the appearance of showing something, but remembering the fallout from the John Carlsen video, they doctored the images to make it impossible to identify the components on the board. Perhaps someone here can identify the board they're showing just from the layout (assuming it isn't a Photoshop job).

So I added a comment on Fb, and it shows. It also shows there are 24 more comments, but when I click on the link nothing shows. Can they block comments from showing?

I'm having the same issue. I'm not sure how they're managing to do that unless they're just deleting every comment as it comes up and the total count is either not affected or is cached on the server.

• Like 1

I really don't want to have to do another emergency podcast. Sorting out this bullshit is about as much fun as organizing dog turds by size and shape*.

*hypothetically speaking =P

Just think, you can take a break from videos regarding Gamestop's retro shenanigans.

• Like 3

Try hard as I can I can't tell what kind of board is actually in there, just too blurry/small.

It does look like there's no cables coming out the back, but in fairness where they would be could be concealed by the edge of the TV, so that doesn't seem like a fair criticism.

However, it's really hard to tell, but it doesn't look like that cart is plugged into anything, there's no edge connector there.

Yeah, these photos look very odd. It's as if they wanted to create the appearance of showing something, but remembering the fallout from the John Carlsen video, they doctored the images to make it impossible to identify the components on the board. Perhaps someone here can identify the board they're showing just from the layout (assuming it isn't a Photoshop job).

that board could be anything. maybe someone recognizes it though. they could have pulled it out a tivo or any other sort of electronic device. Its possibly not a dev board at all, but maybe it is.

Try hard as I can I can't tell what kind of board is actually in there, just too blurry/small.

It does look like there's no cables coming out the back, but in fairness where they would be could be concealed by the edge of the TV, so that doesn't seem like a fair criticism.

However, it's really hard to tell, but it doesn't look like that cart is plugged into anything, there's no edge connector there.

Im guessing that white cable coming in from the side is an HDMI cable coming from a computer.