IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Keep in mind, getting a one-off of a custom PCB is not terribly expensive(significantly more expensive than mass production, but "affordable"). They could spend a few hundred dollars on a "custom" PCB to fit the shell that still doesn't actually do anything.

lol, Hannacek beat me to the punch by a few seconds.

Though credit to them, they've least gotten better at the deception. If they had presented this at the toy fair, chances are we might be having a totally different conversation. But now everyone is too skeptical to fool as easily.

Edited by Chocobro
  • Like 2

.... so the sleuth hunt begins to identify which board is actually in there. The genesis, famicom & super famicom are all crossed of the list as I just googled pictures of the boards to compare it.

Already looked at a few because it looks so familiar - Retro Bit uses that blue PCB on their motherboards - they make the Retro Duo, Trio, RDP, Gen X, etc. Can't find a match yet. I'm trying to think which ones have an led in that same position. Because if this was a real board, why put the led in that awkward position nowhere near your shell's led indicator window? So it must be a pre-manufactured board out of something else, right?

Why is there something leaning against the front of the table?

probably because there's a PC, ps3 whatever displaying that menu and he's attempting to hide it. Look through the slats below the tv, black box of some kind. Couldn't he have found a solid surface to work with? The level of fail is just amazing.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 5

color of the soldermask is meaningless, you can specify just about any color you want

I'm aware, but all the Retrobit ones are that blue, versus hyperkin boards that are green. I was just saying it feels familiar that board they're showing, like maybe I saw it in a Retrobit unit, so I started looking to see if I saw any matches.

No! I love that part!!

I would much rather they "pre-sell" than go through Kickstarter. If they sell on Kickstarter, they're selling you hope and if they spend all your money and fail then there's no recourse because that was part of the risk you bought into.

If they "pre-sell" they have to deliver because they're taking orders. If they don't people can go after them because they don't have that explicit Kickstarter risk that this might not go anywhere and you might not get anything.

The Facebook announcement seems to suggest that Kickstarter *was* (and, perhaps, could still be) their "pre-sell" option. So there is still a chance they'll be doing a Kickstarter in the future where you are asked to back the project as a supposed pre-order for the console (which presumably does still have the risk of non-delivery attached, compared to a genuine pre-order with a major retailer).

RVGS on Facebook: "we have decided to delay the pre-sell, i.e. Kickstarter, campaign in order to finalize our prototype"

• Like 2

I'm not convinced. I can't really see that there are USB ports on the board. Only that there's something under the plastic up there. It could all be stuff taped or glued in the front.

Disagree. Those are real usb ports, whether they hook up to real circuitry is debatable.

I begin to wonder if it is possible to put different units (snes, Colecovision) they can share the same cartridge slot?

You can plug a VCS cartridge into an Apple II slot.. Try not to turn it on though!

Why is there something leaning against the front of the table?

That looks like the black poster board or whatever that is in the other photos. I am not sure, but it looks kinda like you can see the TV screen blinds reflected on the top of the Jag shell in one of those pictures with the black background...

Edited by Lost Monkey
  • Like 1

Disagree. Those are real usb ports, whether they hook up to real circuitry is debatable.

You're right. I can see it in another picture. However, the board has a large ribbon cable connector in the front that seems to block where the USB ports would attach to the board.

post-3606-0-77269900-1456539561_thumb.jpg

I give up for now trying to figure out what that board is. Im convinced though he just threw some piece of junk board that was laying around inside the system and wired up an LED. I think that part with all the caps may be a separate smaller board also. it looks to be a different color in the picture with the LED lit up.

Edited by mickcris