IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

John's patents likely related to reading from cartridges or cartridge adapters the type of system to configure as, automatically, rather than to just select the game from a menu and the system then using a lookup table for that HDL and loading that configuration prior to the game. This is due to the HDL's being held in off system memory and needing to be auto loaded prior to the game.

That's about the only innovation here. As a unique to the unit hardware and software component, it's all I see as patentable and without known prior art.

I have an FPGA board that reads its "core" files (built from HDL) from an SD card on boot. You can literally change the entire system by switching cards. Doing the same from a cart doesn't strike me as any innovation...

OMG LOL that facebook post! and the fact they deleted the Kickstarter rewards, no Kickstarter today either LOL. And I could be wrong, and I cant think of the Model off the top of my head but I am (to tipsy) almost Positive that that is an older ASrock Board LOL. Like I said I'm tipsy right now but I'm pretty sure that;s what that it LOL! *where's Popcorn"

It actually looks like maybe possibly sort of kind of like an IDE controller. At the front, right above the left "USB" port is what looks a lot like a 40-pin IDE connection. Not sure why the prototype would be using a 40-pin connector at that inaccessible spot on the board though...

(EDIT: could be a 32-pin connector)

Edited by HkryCrkStudio
  • Like 1

The only name that matters in Retro Gaming Journalism. He is the co-host of the wildly successful talk retro podcast, and reviewer of RETRO magazine. Inside tip is that this is being privately funded, so no need for Kickstarter nonsense. Hate on haters! If you want one you will have to line up like everyone else on Black Friday... Good luck getting one when this is the hottest thing in gaming this year!

Look kids, the first Coleco Chameleon fanboy.

Oh geez, I'm so sorry, I messed up. Forgive me. That's not even close to being right...

I'm sorry, not first, the only fanboy. There we go. All better.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 2

It does look like an FPGA dev board, maybe more than one to make it look longer. At the bottom there's either two short JTAG connectors or one long one. The chips looks hard to identify but there's something of a logo in one.

Looks like at Atmel logo on the large IC closest to the front....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmel_AVR#/media/File:AVR_ATXMEGA_128A1.JPG

attachicon.gifre-chamemeleon.jpg

Here's an updated one with the new prototype. (Font is Eurostile Bold Ext. 2. If you don't have it, you'll have to change it to something else.)

attachicon.gifre-chamemeleon.psd.zip

Nice. Too Bad GIMP doesn't seem to handle TTL fonts. Why is that? For the Record, I have a similar Coleco-like retro Font installed on my system as well.

Post #412, I made this graphic:

post-33189-0-18789500-1454756027.jpg

I dunno, but do remember Rule #134:

If it exists, some silly tramp somewhere, who doesn't know how to speel, has a tattoo of it above her ass...

attachicon.gifColecoCameleon_TrampStamp.jpg

Had to use paint to create the text mask (because I can't get TTL fonts to work in GIMP) then import into GIMP for manipulation. I did a couple layers in red, blurred them, and used multiply filter for the fresh ink effect. Unfortunately there were pixel aliasing artifacts and I didn't feel like redoing it at higher resolution only to downscale them.

That 0.1" header is completely reasonable for a prototype for test points or for reprogramming, I don't think that's really something to focus on.

Definitely agree, I just don't think this particular board is a prototype, and if it isn't, it may be of assistance in identifying the board being used.

i dunno fellas...beyond these gripes, wouldnt it not be a screened board? it would be a breadboard of some type with wires and signs of you know, actual work, actual soldering? that is, if it were a real prototype. and not just some some random board thrown inside a jag shell with pictures taken of it as a last ditch hope to somehow save a few facial skin follicles

nah, especially with surface mount, do it all in cad send it off for a quickturn pcb, few tens to hundered bucks later you have a small stack of them in your hands... I havent made a perfboard prototype in a work situation in many years, home is a different story, but even then most of the time Ill do it in cad and etch my own as its far quicker than point to point wiring

looking at my price sheet here for a vendor we use at work you can get 10 8x10 fully soldermasked, silk screened, emersion silver 2 layer board in 1 day + 1 day shipping made in the USA, for just under a grand

excuse me forgot tooling charges, make that just a bit over 1200$...

Edited by Osgeld

there is no way this particular board would or could be a proto. beyond everything else, why would they have a proto board dyed in blue? that shit costs extra to do, especially for one board. why would they have funding to run the full order for boards, but show us absolutely nothing? the problem here is that we're thinking two steps ahead of foolishness and ridiculousness looking for a conceivably true answer. the answer is right there. its FULLY FAKE. as in, 'this is a network card or something'. maybe its an audigy board. maybe its from a cash register. maybe its random parts from a dental product that came included with the molds from the last deal the poor jag mold went through. one thing it AINT, is a prototype board for a coleco chameleon. if this debacle has taught us anything, it is to not trust anything mike says or does. hey, if it were a coleco chameleon motherboard, mike would have zero reason to not show us, haters, fans, people on the fence what it can do, kickstarter or no kickstarter.

• Like 5

dude no it doesn't, you can get blue black green white and yellow from any pcb maker and if there is a charge its like 10% of the cost, and hell if you got a couple weeks you can get them out of china for like 150 bucks shipped

my atari controller pcb's ended up costing me like 35 bucks for 40 of them (granted they are small) and that was with fedex international express

im not disagreeing that its most likely smoke and mirrors, but saying its obviously fake cause its blue and has printing on it is nonsense

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

there is no way this particular board would or could be a proto. beyond everything else, why would they have a proto board dyed in blue? that shit costs extra to do, especially for one board. why would they have funding to run the full order for boards, but show us absolutely nothing? the problem here is that we're thinking two steps ahead of foolishness and ridiculousness looking for a conceivably true answer. the answer is right there. its FULLY FAKE. as in, 'this is a network card or something'. maybe its an audigy board. maybe its from a cash register. maybe its random parts from a dental product that came included with the molds from the last deal the poor jag mold went through. one thing it AINT, is a prototype board for a coleco chameleon. if this debacle has taught us anything, it is to not trust anything mike says or does. hey, if it were a coleco chameleon motherboard, mike would have zero reason to not show us, haters, fans, people on the fence what it can do, kickstarter or no kickstarter.

No, no. It doesn't cost more. Blue and yellow PCBs are cool these days.

By "expressed interest", they were completely noncommittal, but recognized the value of nostalgia gaming enough to not completely ignore us, and even though we're emulating known, existing hardware and have no plans to update our console ever, we have to update it now for some reason.

This is the most damning evidence of either their non-plan or their insanity. "Let's build a fake retro system with no patches or updates... but let' update it at the last minute before we permanently set it in stone for no reason at all". The entire concept is asinine.

• Like 4

Guys,

The patents and copyrights are all still pending. The team thought that everything would be all set for today and well, there was a tornado in Lancaster County PA the other day and it just so happened that was their Lawyer's uncle's brother's sister's cousin's dog trainer's property and they just couldn't verify that all their hard work had been secured and locked down legally. Those pictures of the lovely clear jaguar shell with the super advanced prototype is right there for all of us to marvel at and behold the awesome FPGA power of the Coleco Chameleon! Look at that awesome custom menu that's shown off for both Piko and Collectorvision titles that are coming to the Chameleon, so awesome.

Just have your wallets ready for the Holiday 2016 Kickstarter. Your kids will absolutely love a box with a picture of the Chameleon in it and a VHS tape of the sizzle reel instead of actually getting a video game console on Christmas day.

The only thing that matters guys is that power goes into our system and out from our system comes high resolution digital and analogue video. Also, our processor runs nice and cool without a fan.

• Like 2

attachicon.giftoomanylikes.pngI'd like to thank so many other users, here on AA. But alas, I can't for everyone :).

Join the club dude. That happened to me around 5pm, and I'm a subscriber who gets allotted a ton of extra reputation votes. I need to be more selective with my likes. Also kudos to you, another member using the deflection pallet. I thought I was the only one! Sometimes you gotta highlight text if it's done in black but otherwise it's much easier on the eyes, especially on a small screen in a darkened room... ;-)

regardless of the color, he would still have to have boards made. and pay to have em made. he is attempting to have us believe its happening, and i as well as anyone else seeing it doesnt see it happening after slapping a snes into a jag shell i would hope. i mean maybe its just me, but all of this has had a cumulative effect and kind of shows us mike's line of logic as well. doing that crap with the snes jr tells me he's not the kinda guy to whip out gerber or eagle and have the patience to design a board even if he knew electronics well enough to do so. nor do i see him paying someone else to do such a thing, just as much as i dont see him paying to have a board made. he probably feels he has invested too much in it already and the public at large keeps getting too hip to his chicanery. you dont go from having a snes in a jag shell two weeks ago to having a fully populated board today, working or nonworking. even if he had a board (meaning, 'i dont physically have the board yet, but the board design has been completed and is being produced this week! hurry up and wait, all will be revealed soon!), he would have went to the toy fair with that mess and said 'this is simply a simulation of what our hardware will be able to do, our boards are not fully ready, but check out some of our launch titles!'. transparency. honesty. its not happening. if anything, he's shoving whatever bullshit under our noses that he thinks that we might wish to eat while he is most likely furiously trying to find someone with hardware that he can outright buy it from so that the least amount of actual heavy lifting has to happen.

Join the club dude. That happened to me around 5pm, and I'm a subscriber who gets allotted a ton of extra reputation votes. I need to be more selective with my likes. Also kudos to you, another member using the deflection pallet. I thought I was the only one! Sometimes you gotta highlight text if it's done in black but otherwise it's much easier on the eyes, especially on a small screen in a darkened room... ;-)

I have a large floater in my right eye, and it isn't noticeable on a dark or colored screen, or anything like a picture. But with a bright white page like the stock AA page, or Google, it's evident when my eye goes back and forth to read text, and it's very distracting. :)

Thanks to Albert, here on AA, for pointing out to me how to change the theme :).