IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

its funny I wouldnt wipe my ass with a phone with those spec's, slap PI on it and people are going ape shit over it, that's 100% marketing hype horseshit for ya though

I don't want it as a phone, and I don't think it would be 35US$ either.

I think we all know what we are getting into, whether it's overpriced at 35US$ I don't care that much, it's not if it was 25US$ it would make much of a difference. I also like their "foundation" model, the nice community etc...

well as I said on slashdot there's better sbc's out there more specifically to specific applications, i have a dual core pcuduino lite wifi at 1ghz and 512 meg of ram for like damn near 4 years now, and I bought it on sale for 26 bucks (and 2 gig of nand so if I brick the SD card or usb filesystem I can still boot it without starting from darn near scratch)

but that required a few moments worth of googling, and knowing a half assed effort of debian, but NO PI!!!! NOW COMMUNITY I JUST WANT TO DO XYZ WITHOUT A THOUGHT durh durh durh gimmie a IFIXIT HOWTO!!!!

I have a couple pi's as well but they are not in daily use cause I find them to be sensitive slow chunks of crap, and im not willing to wait half a decade for wifi. I will pay 75$ for a 1.2ghz quad core pcduino with wifi, 1 gig of ram and 2 sata ports 2 years ago when pi was still 2 years behind the times 2 years ago

Not sure why the rage .... but I bought myself an OctaCore http://www.linksprite.com/pcduino8-uno/for 39US$ like last week, haven't had time to even turn it on. Not sure I'd really like to figure out how to build my own distro but we'll see if the Ubuntu 14 imahe works http://www.linksprite.com/image-for-pcduino8-uno/

I would still buy the RPi3 once it's out assuming it stays below a certain mark.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

The irony is: My next Kickstarter product that arrives will JUST BE A CASE... my new updated Amiga 1200 case from Phillipe in France UV proof plastic and more ports for modern add ons. Mind you, i backed a kickstarter JUST TO MAKE CASES!!! The next one may make KEYBOARDS, lol...

with all the FPGA Amiga and ST stuff, yeah. that may end up being a whole new parts box.

Mike can't do this, but some small time guys with no resources in foreign countries can do the Amiga 600 Vampire 2 accellerator, with a full Motorola 68040 onboard with much better speed and an AGA core in the debug stages (thats a video chipset for the more powerful Amiga 1200 and 4000) on the same expansion board with 128MB of RAM at ehh $212 usd? with no good economies of scale, they make money!

Color me amazed, at them, not Mike K.

Edited by RupanIII

I'm glad our posts finally spilled over into a minor FPGA tutorial, lol.

What some of our friend here forget to apply is Moore's Law.

It's the same as why SSD's are becoming king and soon will dominate. Every 18months.... the complexity will double for the same price. (it's a better statement in today's market).

Tomorrow's FPGA (literally, under 2years) will be big enough to simulate alot more. Intel is rolling out server chips with FPGA's on die.

eventually, there may be ARM's with FPGA onboard from AMD as well.

There will be a huge growing market for computer engineers who can design their own custom purpose high speed FPGA HDL's.

The side effect will be much legacy hardware revival and turbocharging, kind of like Nerds/Geeks doing what Auto Enthusiasts do, only it's the old car scene and not just putting new parts on newest muscle.

I had no idea about that until seeing it in this thread. So for me that is one pretty cool pay off from all the drama. Now I've got something else cool to look forward about.

• Like 1

... also do you think that any of this stuff with the retrovgs and chameleon will impact upon the RETRO magazine? Didn't it get mentioned earlier that Mike K transferred assets or money from that project to fund this RVGS or CC project that hasn't as yet produced an income.

I for one am waiting for that magazine to fold so that I can sell my complete & unread set on eBay for big monies.

• Like 6

[..]

We will probably never know if their Feb 26th Kickstarter was killed by negative feedback. They need to do their own market research, they don't care what we think anyway.

And that is part of their problem, because, when a company cares about its customers it tends to make decisions that are beneficial to them. And that results in a more focused and purposeful product.

And if you have a good product, it will sell itself via word of mouth, no need for a 3-ring circus.

I had forgotten about the nD!

For those who haven't heard of it, check out the story on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_Game

Maybe he is their new hardware guy and the pack in game will be "Bob's Game"

Reading up on that "Bob's Game" it sounds like that guy was totally unhinged and needs some help. It was almost like a performance art project it was so out of control.

This popped up in my subscribed list, and I haven't seen it here yet (maybe I'm blind)

ALL RIGHT, Game Escape is back!!! Watching it now ...

"Anybody who casually acknowledges my existence will get TWO YEARS of FREE Nostalgia Industries Retro Magazines! PLEASE!!! I'M ... OVER ... HERE!!!"

:rolling:

I love the "prototype" of the Virtual Boy lashed to the SNES and PlayStation with a belt.

• Like 5

I guess im gonna let it rot in the garbage dump where it belongs for now and drop it for a while. I'll keep looking at this to get some laughs when someone more knowledgeable than me discovers what stupid Fax-machine/dishwasher they took the PCB from.

So the Youtube suggestions about Garbage Trucks were spot on.. I thought there was some sort of A.I. happening there..!

I want what I believe most of us want. Some sort of closure and explanation. We might never get it though.

You want closure at funerals, not dumb-ass "because cartridges" internet projects.

• Like 1

ALL RIGHT, Game Escape is back!!! Watching it now ...

"Anybody who casually acknowledges my existence will get TWO YEARS of FREE Nostalgia Industries Retro Magazines! PLEASE!!! <waving arms> I'M ... OVER ... HERE!!!"

:rolling:

I love the "prototype" of the Virtual Boy lashed to the SNES and PlayStation with a belt.

The wine tour quote and the way it ended was pretty amazing

• Like 2

I don't want it as a phone, and I don't think it would be 35US$ either.

I think we all know what we are getting into, whether it's overpriced at 35US$ I don't care that much, it's not if it was 25US$ it would make much of a difference. I also like their "foundation" model, the nice community etc...

Not sure why the rage .... but I bought myself an OctaCore http://www.linksprite.com/pcduino8-uno/for 39US$ like last week, haven't had time to even turn it on. Not sure I'd really like to figure out how to build my own distro but we'll see if the Ubuntu 14 imahe works http://www.linksprite.com/image-for-pcduino8-uno/

I would still buy the RPi3 once it's out assuming it stays below a certain mark.

loading the os image is no more involved than loading the os image on a pi

why the rage, cause PI PI PI PI PI PI PI PI PI, jeezus pi is a chunk of unstable crap, just cause ben heck didnt do a 2:30 video on it doesnt mean its any more difficult

This popped up in my subscribed list, and I haven't seen it here yet (maybe I'm blind)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWJV2YgNXIo

Pretty funny, the guy's gotta a knack for comedy, no doubt about it.

Given he has the Retro magazines do you think he's even a subscriber?

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

loading the os image is no more involved than loading the os image on a pi

why the rage, cause PI PI PI PI PI PI PI PI PI, jeezus pi is a chunk of unstable crap, just cause ben heck didnt do a 2:30 video on it doesnt mean its any more difficult

OK, I see you have some issue about it, we'll agree to disagree and move on.

I'm glad our posts finally spilled over into a minor FPGA tutorial, lol.

What some of our friend here forget to apply is Moore's Law.

It's the same as why SSD's are becoming king and soon will dominate. Every 18months.... the complexity will double for the same price. (it's a better statement in today's market).

Tomorrow's FPGA (literally, under 2years) will be big enough to simulate alot more. Intel is rolling out server chips with FPGA's on die.

eventually, there may be ARM's with FPGA onboard from AMD as well.

There will be a huge growing market for computer engineers who can design their own custom purpose high speed FPGA HDL's.

The side effect will be much legacy hardware revival and turbocharging, kind of like Nerds/Geeks doing what Auto Enthusiasts do, only it's the old car scene and not just putting new parts on newest muscle.

Yes. Pretty much all that.

2017 is the tipping point for SSD to finally go mainstream. HDD will be reserved for special applications or ultra-low budget machines that can't "push" an SSD. And even then the upcoming price drop in SSD will be hard to ignore.

As far as moore's law? Fuck that.. trying to keep it alive is like a corporate boardroom pet-project. Let it die already!

Yes, FPGA onboard is a big plus and is one of the reasons I'm learning them.

• Like 2

LOL, dude, Moore's Law is the very reason that schedule for Solid State Memory to take over in 2018 has been on schedule for 20 or so years, haahhahaha.

There's no Fucking Moore's Law, lol.

2017 is the tipping point for SSD to finally go mainstream. HDD will be reserved for special applications or ultra-low budget machines that can't "push" an SSD. And even then the upcoming price drop in SSD will be hard to ignore.

As far as moore's law? Fuck that.. trying to keep it alive is like a corporate boardroom pet-project. Let it die already!

Pretty funny, the guy's gotta a knack for comedy, no doubt about it.

Given he has the Retro magazines do you think he's even a subscriber?

I'm especially impressed by the attention to detail in his videos! I'd have a hard time explaining the humor behind the satire to anyone who hasn't been following the Chameleon story closely, but as someone who has, I think it's brilliant!

(I have to admit, I was a Retro subscriber too, back when I was young and naive. I actually backed the Kickstarter campaign for the first six issues.)

• Like 4

I am not sure HDDs will actually die, they should but datacenters will find a way to keep them alive as cold storage for backup purposes .... maybe spinning them down/up on demand etc .... I think they should just disappear but it's not yet their time (same reason why tape is not dead yet).

(I have to admit, I was a Retro subscriber too, back when I was young and naive. I actually backed the Kickstarter campaign for the first six issues.)

No point in feeling ashamed, I actually think you should feel proud for putting money where your mouth is and financing a retro-themed effort.

I am much more of a jerk in that regard in that I have a big mouth but when shit hits the fan I switch the fan off or take a hike. I've seen me doing it, so I know.

• Like 1

LOL, dude, Moore's Law is the very reason that schedule for Solid State Memory to take over in 2018 has been on schedule for 20 or so years, haahhahaha.

There's no Fucking Moore's Law, lol.

There's more and more extensions to it, it no longer holds 18-month schedules. 20, 24, ok.. 18? No.

I had forgotten about the nD!

For those who haven't heard of it, check out the story on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_Game

Maybe he is their new hardware guy and the pack in game will be "Bob's Game"

Haha, it's funny how temper tantrums never get results. Guy imprisoned himself in his room, and for what good? Maybe voluntary house arrest would be good for Mike Kennedy to think about what he's trying to accomplish?

I liked his console design idea. I think an RPi3 hacked into a Supaboy like form factor would be cool idea for an open console. I'm surprised more people don't develop games natively for RPi.

There's more and more extensions to it, it no longer holds 18-month schedules. 20, 24, ok.. 18? No.

I believe you refer to it as it applies to the CPUs/DRAM, while he's referring to it as it applies to SSDs.

I haven't checked that wrt SSD the slowdown you mention already cropped up.

So in the end you may both be right.

I am not sure HDDs will actually die, they should but datacenters will find a way to keep them alive as cold storage for backup purposes .... maybe spinning them down/up on demand etc .... I think they should just disappear but it's not yet their time (same reason why tape is not dead yet).

Yeh, no they're not gonna go away, they'll definitely remain for data centers and other applications where speed isn't required. And I will continue to personally use them as archival disks and for backups. I still don't trust SSD for anything longer term.

I've preached in other threads I still have my BBS 10MBhard drive from the Apple //e in the early 1980's. It still retains its data. I checked it with a scope and its at 70-80% raw signal strength on the pre-amps. This is on data that has not been refreshed since I last used it in 1989.

I've also got higher density disks from recent times and 10 years back, they're also reliable longer term.

• Like 2