IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

It occurs to me that Mike could very well possibly maybe perhaps have a working prototype. The problem is that if he ever brings it out, who will believe him? Boy who cried wolf and all that.

No one has to believe him. If he Shows the prototype working in a non rigged Situation it is proof it exists. Doesn't matter what People what to believe in. A fact is a fact. The fact he's not willing to Show anything at all just makes People wonder wether he even has a Hardware guy. At this Point anything he could Show would be better than nothing. And still he keeps silent. This fake proto is all over tweeter and Forums.

It is completely illogical to assume Mike has anything even resembling a prototype if he had to use a DVR PCB to fake a prototype. Even if the prototype board is so shit it won#t even turn on it would still be better to use that for the Picture.

Talking about possibilities now is saying something like: Maybe a Meteorite came out of the sky and crashed on their prototype. Maybe Nintendo payed a Ninja to steal the board and plans from them, and they'll use Mike's ideas on the Nintendo NX. It's possible.

• Like 1

No one has to believe him. If he Shows the prototype working in a non rigged Situation it is proof it exists. Doesn't matter what People what to believe in. A fact is a fact. The fact he's not willing to Show anything at all just makes People wonder wether he even has a Hardware guy. At this Point anything he could Show would be better than nothing. And still he keeps silent. This fake proto is all over tweeter and Forums.

It is completely illogical to assume Mike has anything even resembling a prototype if he had to use a DVR PCB to fake a prototype. Even if the prototype board is so shit it won#t even turn on it would still be better to use that for the Picture.

Talking about possibilities now is saying something like: Maybe a Meteorite came out of the sky and crashed on their prototype. Maybe Nintendo payed a Ninja to steal the board and plans from them, and they'll use Mike's ideas on the Nintendo NX. It's possible.

It was more a "yet another" comment on Mike's credibility. I, for one, don't believe he ever had anything started, other than the shell.

Im putting 50 internet pounds on his dog ate the prototype

So that means that Piko is still on board, and he thinks that there may be a real prototype coming?

What do you mean 'on board'? Piko sells game cartridges, and claims to have talked on the phone to people that Mike introduced as hardware developers. Mike offered to resell his cartridges as part of the CC thing. Piko has been completely honest and transparent about everything that's happened so far. Just because he's not as skeptical as the rest of us jaded cynics doesn't make him part of the enemy.

I guess people just feel its guilt by association. It does seem like Mike is/was still trying to dupe Piko into believing the system actually exists. I can think of 2 reasons for this. Without Piko, the chameleon would have just about no games. Also, he knows Piko has been posting here so Mike was maybe hoping Piko would post positive things here to make us doubt his system was fake.

Like this:

"I haven't seen the insides yet =@; But I have heard the proto they showed on pics running software over a call. I cannot think a way they could have fake that."

Which obviously they did have a way to fake it. Probably just running on an emulator on a pc or their SD2SNES cart and SNES mini proto.

Could have been a SNES, could have been a PC emulator, could be a real FPGA that they are developing but haven't delivered to Mike yet. Who knows? Mike is making the real FPGA option look less and less of a reality with each fake prototype though. If he is developing something real he is devaluing it with this fake garbage.

Some people like to take others at their word, and Mike is a great salesman. I'm sure in person it's a lot easier to be drawn in by his Reality Distortion Field. Other podcasters have said the same thing, basically something like "how did we look at that thing at the show and not realise what it was? It's like a carnival sideshow."

• Like 4

I'd say more of an embarrassment than a bad ending.

Maybe Piko was in on it? Maybe they just suckered? I don't really care.

Well we are not really on anything; I posted before (on the very long post) We are not in the project at the moment, but we are not out of it. We just are. Our agreement were up to the KS (that we never signed); and the KS never came so ???

• Like 8

Speaking seriously for a sec;

You can call it personal attacks or dogpiling or a witch hunt or whatever. You can go on about how the project is over (for now) and "why is this thread still going" and so on. The fact remains that we were able to come together and to bust (repeatedly) what surely started off as a well intentioned (if implausible) idea that slowly morphed into, let's be honest here, and call a spade a spade, a scam. Even if it was just "I'm going to show those guys, look no SNES mini, hahaha," the facebook pictures absolutely prove that he was attempting to deceive. Period. Even if the other various attempts weren't enough for you to prove that something was amiss, this was a flat out lie. It wasn't Mike being scammed by yet another hardware guy or being overzealous about sending emails to Konami. Again, anyone blindly defending this or reporting about it without an ounce of critical thinking should be ashamed of themselves.

Critical thinking is never bad. Questioning the logic behind actions is never wrong. It's okay to doubt, it's okay to question. It's good to keep looking for answers.

It's sad that this debacle has ruined real life friendships, but there's really only one person to blame for that. The important thing is that we were able, as a community, to repulse an attempt to take advantage of us and, more importantly, those who are not as plugged in as we are. We need to be able to question and critically think and to share what we think with each other. It's good to have a forum to do that in.

• Like 20

So uhh.. what is the Facebook page for this thing anyway? Anyone got a url?

Strangely you can't find it on Facebook by searching for Coleco Chamaeleon, or even Retro VGS, you have to search for "Retro Video Game Systems".

• Like 2

The important thing is that we were able, as a community, to repulse an attempt to take advantage of us and, more importantly, those who are not as plugged in as we are. We need to be able to question and critically think and to share what we think with each other. It's good to have a forum to do that in.

Yep, that's why I finally jumped in and subscribed, as my way of saying thanks to Albert for providing such a great resource: http://atariage.com/forums/page/subscriptions- I can't imagine how much bandwidth I've used in the last few months just hitting reload when this thread catches fire.

I have also put my money into a MiST, a real working non-vaporware SD-based FPGA computer/console. Designed and built by talented people for the joy of creating something cool and not just to fleece us all for as many dollars as possible: http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96

If Kevtris's FPGA machine gets manufactured I'd have room for that at home too.

• Like 8

At this point if Coleco Holdings doesn't publicly distance themselves from this debacle then I will consider the brand forever sullied and will have nothing to do with them anymore. I just want to say good job to those who found out the truth about the board and I hope Coleco Holdings does the right thing. Although I am partly curious to see if Mike Kennedy will attempt something else.

I think Gamester81 needs to do the same thing. Apologize and pull all "support" (like Sydney Hunter is really gonna appear on a capture card)... this whole debacle makes CollectorVision look bad. I won't even support the SNES/Genesis versions of this game if John Lester continues to promote and defend Mike Kennedy.

• Like 4

Yep, that's why I finally jumped in and subscribed, as my way of saying thanks to Albert for providing such a great resource: http://atariage.com/forums/page/subscriptions- I can't imagine how much bandwidth I've used in the last few months just hitting reload when this thread catches fire.

I have also put my money into a MiST, a real working non-vaporware SD-based FPGA computer/console. Designed and built by talented people for the joy of creating something cool and not just to fleece us all for as many dollars as possible: http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96

If Kevtris's FPGA machine gets manufactured I'd have room for that at home too.

Good idea; I've surely gobbled my share of bandwidth.

• Like 2

Aware me on this. I haven't seen where CollectorVision was rushing to the defense of this project. I may have missed something but from what I did see they seemed pretty neutral.

Jean-François Dupuis of CollectorVision has been pretty strident in defending the RVGS/Chameleon team. See his comments in response to this post by Triverse:

Jean-François Dupuis: No matter what people says, the Chameleon is REAL!

Once you'll see their Kickstarter, you'll change your mind

The Chameleon is a whole lot different than what the RetroVGS was

Now, need proofs?

Be patient, you'll soon have it

Jean-François Dupuis: Let's just say this.....

I know what tons of people wants to know

Thing is I'm under NDA , so I just can't reveal anything

You'll probably all get your answers this week

Jean-François Dupuis: Let's just say, from what I know, it's going to be awesome!

I seriously can't wait!

So he's another drinker of the "just you wait, because all will be revealed soon and you'll all change your minds because it will be totally awesome!" Kool-Aid. He's got some explaining to do, too.

• Like 12