IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I'm legitimately curious what any of those guys actually DID these past 12 or whatever months. They clearly weren't working on developing a console

Appears they made a lot of different molds for the casings for the game system and games anything else is unknown at this time

I agree with the sentiment that those in the community that got or were asked to get involved shouldn't be getting flack for anything, they're just like us, they were lied to as well it's just when you're lied to for so long you end up wanting to believe in something so much that it takes you a little longer to realize the reality of the situation.

I hold no ill will to Gamester81, Piko interactive or anyone else who have been associated with the CC at this point.

Also, I feel like making this a witch hunt or trying to "hurt" Mike as much as possible isn't needed, the majority of his potential customer base is now not only aware of the tomfoolery but will go forwards overly cautious of this or similar projects in future, what we should instead be seeking is for Mike to simply come clean, lay all his cards on the table and be honest with the community about where the project stands, to admit that the prototypes shown thus far aren't real, and highlight his intentions for moving forward.

These would, hopefully, for his sake, not involve the continuation of the project, or the throwing under the bus of anyone involved in the project, because really it shouldn't be about the CC anymore, but rather salvaging what's left of his image and limiting the damage all of this will have to his other projects.

He *should* have come clean when the Snes fake was exposed, but at that point he was so heavily invested in the deception that he likely saw doing so as a death sentence, when this latest fraud was exposed, Mike or someone at RVGS had two options, 1) come clean and 2) Scramble to erase the evidence and maintain the deception as best they can, He or someone at RVGS chose option 2.

Thus, they are so far down the rabbit hole that regardless of their true intent, even if they somehow magically pulled out a working development board, the trust is destroyed and only honesty about the current situation, that doesn't make mockery of the community is going to make a shred of positive impact.

• Like 9

But still at the end of the day it was just a licensing thing;

What I meant in the analogy is that the licensor* would not be guilty if the licensee commits fraud, or some sort of damage. At the very worst it would be breach of contract and the licensor would have to litigate or something.

I would have agreed with your Disney analogy if you stated Disney knew beforehand regarding Lead paint usage at the factory. But said "ah... maybe they'll get it corrected in time for the run". I'll say again, I don't think you or gamester were out to defraud anyone. I don't think you guys are an enemy or whatever. I just think it was terrible judgement to let the SNESjaguar turducken guy be name dropping you after the toy fair.. A simple one sentence-Piko Interactive no longer plans on releasing any content for the Coleco Chameleon.- would have sufficed just fine. You wouldn't even have to elaborate. If you and Mike had any sort of arrangement I'm sure any lawyer would have a field day with that "prototype" showing a breach of trust. In the end this is negative PR for you guys, deserved or not. That's the reality.

Edited by keepdreamin

In the end this is negative PR for you guys, deserved or not. That's the reality.

The reality is that you're one of the few who actually feel that way. Fact is, regardless of how terrible this whole situation was, it actually made me take a closer look at the games Piko offers and I will likely be ordering games from him in the future.

• Like 6

I don't think that the Disney example is the greatest. The Chameleon was just a distribution channel to you, someone who wanted to sell your product.

I've successfully sent enough cheques and PayPal transfers to people on the other side of the country or the world over the last 25 years to have a pretty good expectation that people in this community aren't usually trying to cheat or scam each other. I can understand how it would be easy to make that assumption when someone comes along who wants to resell something you make.

Please ignore the vocal minority that have a problem with this.

I actually have almost posted this like 5 times in regards to me sending money to perfect strangers and shit always seeming to work out. Yes, I've heard horror stories, but they're so few and far between. That is also why I've been so enamored with this, because it makes me think... hmmm.... should I be sending some random dude $100 CDN for a Vectrex homebrew? I've never been burned on a forum or from a homebrewer, but shit like Mike's pulling is what makes you stop and wonder. We're all intertwined in this, so I get it why a guy who used to do the same shit we're doing flips to the dark side with reckless abandon with our fellow retro gamer's cash and people get really pissed. Something like the AA store or the Paypal of a well known homebrewer is peanuts to big corporations or money grubs, but to a lot of people, it's a peace of mind transaction and you're happy where the money goes. For those of us who have to do most of our game buying online, it's a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

I would have agreed with your Disney analogy if you stated Disney knew beforehand regarding Lead paint usage at the factory. But said "ah... maybe they'll get it corrected in time for the run". I'll say again, I don't think you or gamester were out to defraud anyone. I don't think you guys are an enemy or whatever. I just think it was terrible judgement to let the SNESjaguar turducken guy be name dropping you after the toy fair.. A simple one sentence-Piko Interactive no longer plans on releasing any content for the Coleco Chameleon.- would have sufficed just fine. You wouldn't even have to elaborate. If you and Mike had any sort of arrangement I'm sure any lawyer would have a field day with that "prototype" showing a breach of trust. In the end this is negative PR for you guys, deserved or not. That's the reality.

Ok; I guess I did was a bit too "professional", and never said it directly; but I mentioned a couple of times that we weren't on the project anymore.

Again, I've offered what nobody else has done (Mike and Co, Collectorvision, Hardware guy), transparency and information. At the end of the day, customers and potential costumers are the most important thing in a company.

So if anybody is in Texas hit me up and I would be glad to meet you and chat in person over a beer;

I spent all my money on the NY trip (all my traveling funds for Piko) so I will only be at classic game fest in Austin. I might be meeting with Albert then too.

There is sooo much to say that It is tiring just thinking about typing it all. Many many lies from Lee (yeah not li) the Hardware guy.

And lies that made me go WTF? when I discovered they were lies; like sociopath level types of lies.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 21

Appears they made a lot of different molds for the casings for the game system and games anything else is unknown at this time

About 375 pages ago we already knew exactly where the case molds came from- Mike bought the Atari Jaguar molds, that's what started this whole RVGS thing. I bought transparent cases from him last year when he sold them here on AtariAge.

• Like 1

There is sooo much to say that It is tiring just thinking about typing it all. Many many lies from Lee (yeah not li) the Hardware guy.

And lies that made me go WTF? when I discovered they were lies; like sociopath level types of lies.

While you definitely don't owe any of us anything, I hope that you'll choose to write that post one day.

• Like 6

The reality is that you're one of the few who actually feel that way. Fact is, regardless of how terrible this whole situation was, it actually made me take a closer look at the games Piko offers and I will likely be ordering games from him in the future.

And I have no doubt he'll deliver. He's saying he didn't promote the Chameleon. I'm simply stating that by allowing a company to use your brand in promotion of their upcoming product is by definition "support". You're endorsing it at that point. You can argue semantics until you're blue in the face.

• Like 1

Please elaborate how Piko Interactive are receiving bad PR from their involvement with this console? You are one of the very few that have stated anything negative about the stance that Piko has taken on this issue. Eli has only been up front about things and as up against the wall as he possibly could be against that NDA without breaking it. What more would you like?

I cannot speak against you having a hunch about something and running with it, I did that over a year ago and it took till this week to be proven right. I can honestly, and I will state this here publicly, say that you are on the wrong trail if you are thinking Eli is hiding the "master plan" that Mike was cooking up. You are free to put forth whatever theory you have against whomever you want but be prepared for the backlash, especially when you are proven wrong.

• Like 7

While you definitely don't owe any of us anything, I hope that you'll choose to write that post one day.

What is very funny, is that Mike discovered that guy. And it was just one simple little thing that Mike told me, that made me realized all the BS this guys was telling me.

Like Massive BS; not even Jr High or H School BS your buddies tell you. This is other level.

• Like 7

And I have no doubt he'll deliver. He's saying he didn't promote the Chameleon. I'm simply stating that by allowing a company to use your brand in promotion of their upcoming product is by definition "support". You're endorsing it at that point. You can argue semantics until you're blue in the face.

Promoting isn't a bad thing, it seem a lot of people were deceived into promoting

I also I want to reiterate that I am not a stupid person; I'm pretty smart and clever myself, even if I look and act goofy.

I've watched my fair share of Scandal TV show lol;

All this time, I had key people as alibi as soon as I had information about what was going on, my thoughts and possible future actions. These people were under a Sub-bro NDA.

So if any bullshit wants to be thrown at me or at my company; they have been witnessed and have everything in writing.

• Like 3

What is very funny, is that Mike discovered that guy. And it was just one simple little thing that Mike told me, that made me realized all the BS this guys was telling me.

Like Massive BS; not even Jr High or H School BS your buddies tell you. This is other level.

Well you can't start a story like that and just leave it there...!?

• Like 1

I cannot speak against you having a hunch about something and running with it, I did that over a year ago and it took till this week to be proven right. I can honestly, and I will state this here publicly, say that you are on the wrong trail if you are thinking Eli is hiding the "master plan" that Mike was cooking up. You are free to put forth whatever theory you have against whomever you want but be prepared for the backlash, especially when you are proven wrong.

I don't think they were hiding anything, other than a feeling that something fishy was going on. I'm merely saying I would have expected after the toyfair any involved parties to any degree should have headed for the hills in a hurry. I guess I'm arguing hindsight, which is kind of pointless now. So for that I must apologize as that's completely pointless.

I will accept Piko and Gamester's response at this point in time. I'm not expecting anything more.

Edited by keepdreamin

Edit removing the above post I made and others commented since so here is the latest quote/comment:

Pick your words. Are you arguing that they "promoted" the Chameleon or that they "supported" it? Two different situations there. I don't remember seeing anything from Piko talking about "how great the Chameleon is going to be" or "it is going to be a game changer" or anything like that. I don't remember seeing Eli come into forums defending it either, when it was still vaguely possible to be a real thing.

Support? That is an iffy choice of words. By offering his games, under license, to the Chameleon if it took off, is a form of support. Sure. No more than any 3rd party licensee is supporting the parent console over the years. The big difference here is, the Chameleon was not requiring ANY additional investment from Eli or anyone else. He was told it was to run SNES, Genesis, etc games so for Eli it was a matter of turning over the code and it being put on a cartridge. He had to do nothing to make it work with the proposed console design. No investment, no overhead other than probably sending an e-mail with the ROM file as an attachment.

Now, given a chance to possibly make more sales and you have to do absolutely no work- would you? If I came up to you in life and offered you a chance to earn an additional set amount of money per hour of work and all you had to do amounted to very little additional work, would you?

Edited by triverse
  • Like 9

Edit removing the above post I made and others commented since so here is the latest quote/comment:

Pick your words. Are you arguing that they "promoted" the Chameleon or that they "supported" it? Two different situations there. I don't remember seeing anything from Piko talking about "how great the Chameleon is going to be" or "it is going to be a game changer" or anything like that. I don't remember seeing Eli come into forums defending it either, when it was still vaguely possible to be a real thing.

Support? That is an iffy choice of words. By offering his games, under license, to the Chameleon if it took off, is a form of support. Sure. No more than any 3rd party licensee is supporting the parent console over the years. The big difference here is, the Chameleon was not requiring ANY additional investment from Eli or anyone else. He was told it was to run SNES, Genesis, etc games so for Eli it was a matter of turning over the code and it being put on a cartridge. He had to do nothing to make it work with the proposed console design. No investment, no overhead other than probably sending an e-mail with the ROM file as an attachment.

Now, given a chance to possibly make more sales and you have to do absolutely no work- would you? If I came up to you in life and offered you a chance to earn an additional set amount of money per hour of work and all you had to do amounted to very little additional work, would you?

You sir speak the truth. Preach on brotha! ;)