IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Good on colecovisin to demand that. The seven days is a little much but oh well.

On gamester81 the apology sounds good and I have nothing against you why delete vides unless? It's evidence of mike and his crap and should be kept around. Not sure how I feel about you no offense but that is wierd to do that.

So Patrick Scott Patterson quit huh? See mike this is what you get when you burn all your bridges.

• Like 2

Why on earth would they do that? Mike has nothing they want, and they know it.

I'm predicting that this is an exit strategy. They're already prepared to terminate their licensing contract.

Basically, Coleco is already gone.

River West is like the corporate equivalent of a seagull.. Seagulls don't really care who is throwing them french fries...

• Like 3

Also now we know Mike was told (by Piko) he had a SD2SNES in his hands (taped to the back of a Jag cart).

If an SD2SNES and a Super Famiclone is all it takes to make a "new retro console", why not make a Super Famiclone and be done with it?

Oh, wait, that's already on the market for cheap. Crap. Better make some more Jaguar cases in the meantime.

Alright guys, I looked through my stash and I still need to search in a few more places but unfortunately I don't think I saved a full copy of the Gamester81 interview. Now that I remember it, the audio on Mike's end was so shitty and unusable it wasn't worth saving the whole thing. Plus, I didn't expect Gamester81 to delete his own video.

But I did save the last three minutes, which is all I needed for a video I was making at the time.

It's still pretty good, Mike wraps up his selling points for why you should give money to his project so we don't lose out on "all this awesomeness!" Plus there's the typical name drops, blaming the community, and if you have "good solid questions that deserve to be answered" send him a PM! It's all pretty funny to listen to in hindsight and you get the gist of how the "interview" was a glorified soap box for Mike to spit out his lies and empty promises.

https://youtu.be/lgJWJ3rBT1s

Needless to say, this thread can be difficult to keep up if you're even one second behind :P So, sorry if you already know this or already got everything you need. But the user NoFaceNico says he backed up a lot of CC related stuff (here); maybe he's got the Gamester81 interview as well?

I think the seven days is a ridiculously long amount of time given the history and the parties involved. Even Mike could probably order a Raspberry Pi off Amazon, watch some of Ben Heck's tutorials, get an emulator running on it, shove it in the case, and say "See, it plays games!". Given the lack of technical expertise demonstrated by RWB (assuming they are innocent in this whole thing) so far, they could be satisfied with such a "prototype".

Except that it's obviously lame and not a prototype, and if an engineer looks at it, they're going to laugh at them.

Coleco is not just going to have any random idiot look at Mike's board.

Mark my word. In a week, Coleco will dump the deal and attribute it to an unsatisfactory demonstration from the Retro VGS team.

• Like 2

If an SD2SNES and a Super Famiclone is all it takes to make a "new retro console", why not make a Super Famiclone and be done with it?

Oh, wait, that's already on the market for cheap. Crap. Better make some more Jaguar cases in the meantime.

I know!!!!

I mean up to Piko revelation Mike "thought"/feigned he had the real deal as a custom made game multi card & software running, but once told aside stopping using that particular "proto SD2SNES" and use a much more believable Piko PCB, he still tries to convince (or he thinks somehow) the actual proto is real ..... seriously.

Repeat with me:

Game Cart was supposed to be real -> cart is SD2SNES -> all right no biggie

Proto was supposed to be real -> SNES mini -> nooooooooo!!!! We'll show you that it is real!!! A real CaptureCard!!!!

Whatever.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 3

Hi hello that's also me. I know this thread moves fast but it's really kind of weird how two people hare are making fun of me for some reason because a blogger didn't do their job?

Sorry. It just seemed strange to call someone a historian. It sounds like a number of people put in the final puzzle piece at the same time!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=coleco+chameleon

at this point, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of page 2 to even see a thumbnail with mike in it. all the vids made by the community are the first results! if mike had a shred of common sense after all of this, he'd pack it in. not because thats what we want to see happen, but because it would be an acknowledgement that he made big mistakes and that he wont be making any more. i dont even care if we ever get a response beyond that now.

• Like 4

Yeah their "report" is going to be bollocks seeing as their twitter account refuted accusations that there was an SNES Mini in the shell at the Toy Fair. They were in on it with Mike.

This is an important point to remember. The "report" can't really say anything negative about the SNES mini incident.

• Like 3

Well if the Coleco Chameleon prototype(s) are being assessed I want to see all 3 on video or assessed in writing with someone putting their

name to the findings:

#1 - The peice of paper in a Jag Shell - should be simple, it's just a hunk of paper

#2 - The SNES Jr. in a Jag Shell - OPEN IT UP, should be simple to see it's no proto, it's a Super Nintendo

#3 - The DVR card in a Jag Shell - PLUG IT IN, should be simple, it's a PC card not a video game system of any sort.

If these 3 exact consoles are not used by Coleco to determine the fate of the relationship with MK something is going foul.

I must also add, I do think Coleco Holdings is\was part of the scam but it's gotten so out of control they have to distance

themselves from it. I believe it's so bad now that it has the ability to hurt the brand from being used and licensed out to

others in the future so they have no choice but to sever the ties to this fraud filled vaporware called the CC\MK.

• Like 7

Respectuflly, John DeLorean smuggling drugs is nothing like the RVGS/Chameleon campaign. The potential crime would have been if he defrauded the masses to bring the car to fruition. If a DeLorean vendor knew something was fishy but kept going (or even fought against detractors), people might think she was "perpretratin' the fraud" too.

Feel free to skip to the last paragraph, where I lay out why I think some of these folks need calling out.

Let's say this is the perfect car that the average, every-day guy wants:

attachicon.gifthe-homer-inline21.jpg

Normally, Homer takes his back-of-napkin design to a company and they either turn him down or they make a product:

attachicon.gifhomer21.jpg

In the show Powell Motors made the $83,000 car, couldn't sell any of them, and subsequently went bankrupt. But for this analogy, we'll call that "The Homer IndieGogo Campaign". Very little money was put up. Vendors were lined up to make the proprietary equipment such as the bubble domes and spoiler. Then someone over at AutoAge.com starts takes a look at the design and:

What-the-f-Why-the-f-meme-9554.jpg

And he starts a post at AutoAge.com. Heck, he may even be intrigued by the concept. After all, Homer asks if people remember a time when cars had big engines and simpler electronics. "It's not like today where your radio may fail because something is wrong with your wiper motor. Simpler times... plus think of that rumble of the big engine you or your father had when you were a teen."

But over the months, things start sounding odd--and really, who wants shag carpet in their car today anyway? The price will be ridiculous. But hey, he's released new renders of what the car will look like in different colors:

attachicon.gifTheHomerColors.jpg

Some websites pick it up. Maybe he gets lucky and Jalopnik (Gawker) and Autoblog (AOL) run a general piece and generates more interest. No details beyond what Homer offers, and no desire from the authors to look farther.

With more fanfare comes more scrutiny. An aerodynamics expert says the spoiler will make it impossible to drive at highway speeds. He should know, as he was asked to design the hulking thing. There's questions about Homer even being able to fulfill his promises at even that high cost. More people start picking away at the design and asking for details, like specifics on the engine and transmission.

One vendor--the hornmaker--sees mounting evidence that something is not right and publicly dumps his thoughts. Homer comes on to AutoAge and responds angrily to both him and and the aerodynamic engineer; the vendor finds himself not a Homer vendor anymore. The engineer never thought he was in the loop to begin with. That's okay, because the feelings all-around were mutual.

Then another vendor--who also has a YouTube show on autos--starts coming out against the people on AutoAge.com and elsewhere. He claims inside knowledge and says less-than-nice things about the detractors. He even produces what is essentially a "The Homer" infomercial, and only reveals fifty minutes in that his company will produce the bubble domes for the car. Note he says "at cost", but even that could include peoples' salaries. It's not like they're going to take a loss.

Other youtubers and websites perhaps join in with promoting The Homer (or at least not inquiring further), despite the idea that there are more questions than answers. There's also the idea that a lot of people could end up with empty pockets and no car, even if Homer is sincere about his dream. Even very successful crowdfunding campaigns by honest people can fail when it's production time.

IndieGoGo happens. Details are never given and the motor will be a Yugo three-cylinder, one horn instead of three, and no spoiler at all. It takes stretch goals to get the big V12 motor, three horns and the awesome spoiler. As expected, IGG fails.

Weeks pass, and out-of-the-blue we hear Homer has a new brand: The Edsel. Much fanfare is given on websites ("The Edsel is Back!"), again with asking few questions. Speculation is rampant, with a lot of it simply not being corrected by Homer. You see, it's not really lying if someone else says something incorrect. If AutoBlog writes that it'll run on water, they can't trace that back to Homer, right? *nudgenudgewinkwink*

All along, though, it seems like it may be a legitimate product. Perhaps Homer learned and wouldn't dare make the same mistakes twice. We would learn if in his shoes, wouldn't we? The answers are so clear--just be clear. Be honest. Don't tell us it'll have a giant motor and give us a three-banger. Surely even Homer can't mess this up. He apologized. Clean slate.

homer.jpg

The vendors are understandably more cautious this time around. It still looks like it could become a legitimate product, and AutoFair is right around the corner. Prototype, baby! Let the conspiracy theory debuffing begin! We all know what happens at AutoFair as well as with the next "prototype".

I fully understand its each person's choice. If someone wants to fund The Homer IGG campaign, its his or her responsibility. But I'm not sure that should let influencers off the hook. It doesn't mean they have to be lynched or pilloried or even owe apologies. It just means that maybe next time we look at them with the same scrutiny as we do the next awesome crowdfunding campaign. Simple as that.

cOiSwFi.gif

• Like 2

Well if the Coleco Chameleon prototype(s) are being assessed I want to see all 3 on video or assessed in writing with someone putting their

name to the findings:

#1 - The peice of paper in a Jag Shell - should be simple, it's just a hunk of paper

#2 - The SNES Jr. in a Jag Shell - OPEN IT UP, should be simple to see it's no proto, it's a Super Nintendo

#3 - The DVR card in a Jag Shell - PLUG IT IN, should be simple, it's a PC card not a video game system of any sort.

If these 3 exact consoles are not used by Coleco to determine the fate of the relationship with MK something is going foul.

I must also add, I do think Coleco Holdings is\was part of the scam but it's gotten so out of control they have to distance

themselves from it. I believe it's so bad now that it has the ability to hurt the brand from being used and licensed out to

others in the future so they have no choice but to sever the ties to this fraud filled vaporware called the CC\MK.

In 7 days I will say why I don't think Coleco was part of the scam.

• Like 13

name to the findings:

Just for laughs, Coleco should hire Kevtris to examine all of Mike's prototypes.

It would be total overkill, but I would do it just to watch the blood drain from Mike's face when Kevtris walked into the room.

• Like 9

Ohh.. that's no big deal. I don't believe they were there to hide anything. But more to "protect" against un-authorized usage, or create an "air of importance". Like edgy marketing bullshit.

But that underlies intent :-D

Nobody can say "my dog took the wrong picture, eat the SD card, peed on the reader" so the picture is wrong, not mine, the press made a mistake, the PR guy ate a sock.

RVGS actually watermarked those to prove it's actually their SHIT, only theirs, none other than theirs ..... and they need 7 days to prove exactly what? They already marked their territory so clearly there's no need for anything else. If they had something real to show they would have already.

I do foresee another haphazard attempt to show a newly improved proto via a video of some sort with muffled audio, lo-res, little to no lights, some fog, a smoke machine and other assorted nonsense.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 4

I have a 2 part prediction:

1. The independent engineer will "determine" that the prototype, although in the early stages is indeed legitimate....

and

2. Although legitimate, the prototype is not up to standard, and therefore the project will not continue.

Basically, I am positing that Mike has now convinced Coleco to participate in one of his cockamamie schemes, or that they have been willing participants all along...

100% agree. Maybe with "project closes for now, might resume later if the prototype gets better" - both parties gets out without losing too much.

Coleco has probably already made that decision.

Edited by AE35
  • Like 1

At least in terms of Retro the magazine, I noticed that David l Craddock (author of books on Roguelikes and also the creation of diablo) is the new editor and I quite enjoy and respect his writing. Maybe he gives it a chance to turn around. His piece in the new issue I really liked.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=coleco+chameleon

at this point, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of page 2 to even see a thumbnail with mike in it. all the vids made by the community are the first results! if mike had a shred of common sense after all of this, he'd pack it in. not because thats what we want to see happen, but because it would be an acknowledgement that he made big mistakes and that he wont be making any more. i dont even care if we ever get a response beyond that now.

Man, I really need to start a podcast... :ponder:

• Like 24

Needless to say, this thread can be difficult to keep up if you're even one second behind :P So, sorry if you already know this or already got everything you need. But the user NoFaceNico says he backed up a lot of CC related stuff (here); maybe he's got the Gamester81 interview as well?Yup.

Yup. It's like the celebrity sideshow, Keeping up with the Kardashians. Not that I watch that.

• Like 2

Well I predicted this is just going to get stranger and stranger as it goes along. I seen it before in both the toy world (Shocker Toys/Geoff Beckett) and comic world. (The Guy and his many Companies escape me at the moment)

The official Coleco response is interesting but in my mind does not hold much water. (I know of Chris due to links in the toy world) After looking at the official Coleco Web site www.colecotoys.com

Well you'll get the picture.

Edited by Octane
  • Like 1

if i may, it was no more than 2 minutes. i know this for a fact because i was watching the thread (literally f5d right then) when the card was identified, and i went to the fb page immediately to see just how fast the photos would be removed. it was painfully clear that if it wasnt mike reading this thread, that he has someone doing it for him.

not only that, theres more evidence that it was mike reading the thread because of the pics being pulled in and of itself. with 1-2 minutes between when a definitive id on the vidcap card and when the pics were pulled, theres basically no timeframe in which whoever saw us identify the board could have somehow contacted mike and said 'well, they figured us out'. all signs point to mike both reading the thread and pulling the pics himself as well.

Oh I don't doubt he was watching this thread like a hawk, but all I was going on was the post time between the board being accurately identified and someone posting "aaaand it's gone" Either way it's very damning.

As for Coleco, I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt, they've probably been conned like a few other people involved. Their post is really like stabbing a corpse though.

• Like 1

I can't make the connection, care to explain?

Outside the fact that the boat is sinking and all the rats are leaving (no offense just a figure of speech, well maybe just a little offense) I am not sure what's going on.

he probably (without make it explicit) dont want to be involved or associated in anyway with the publication that is backing up a scam, he may be thinking in his writing career and future job opportunities, something that may not happen if his name is involved in a 3rd rate scam.

Edited by Cybermario
  • Like 1

This might also be River West's way of protecting themselves against legal action from Mike. They may be forced to go through the motions before cutting him loose, even if that's what they've already decided to do.

Its one thing for people on Atari Age to form a mob and get out the pitch forks. A company like River West needs to stand behind Retro VGS Inc because they signed a contract with them to make the Chameleon. But if they have a good faith basis of doubting RetroVGS Inc, then they can ask for assurances that the prototype is real, and then send someone to investigate the prototype.

Even if River West wants to drop the Chameleon like a hot potato, they need to go through the motions of standing by them, then asking questions, then investigating, and then making a decision to keep or kill the project.

The investigation can be a legitimate inquiry into the project, or they could have already made a decision to keep or kill the Chameleon. They don't have to make the investigation public, nor would they want to make it public.

Edited by Hannacek
  • Like 3