IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

This thread seems to be unnecessarily cruel, regardless of the motive. Ultimately, this seems to be the latest in a long line of video game-related dreams being bigger than reality. Surely this isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened in the industry. Glad there aren't a lot of people out there who have lost money on it, and for those who did, that sucks. I get the humor and entertainment inherent in busting a scam on the Internet, but if Mike is out there, know that not everyone wants your blood. Makes me sad for ya, hope you do okay. Will pray for your health. Don't let this destroy you; consider it a learning experience and an opportunity for growth.

I did enjoy reading RETRO magazine a lot as well, so regardless of this whole story, at least there's that. Whatever role you played in bringing the magazine to my mailbox, Mike, I thank you for it.

• Like 3

StopDrop&Retro, Keep them videos coming :) My wife ask that they exceed 10 minutes and that they get back to the style of the

Dr. Strangelove-titled first episode. She's demanding :)

The Jag Bar video was awesome!

Picky Old Gamer, we also need videos from you :-D

...and UKmike on friday or saturday.

Good times!!

• Like 2

Will pray for your health

Is he ill? You make it sound like he's a fragile old man with one foot in the grave. Is that just an assumption?

However, you are right regarding the money; he didn't take peoples money. But he tried. But he didn't. That is good. Compare

that to the pinball scams!

• Like 1

Just for laughs, Coleco should hire Kevtris to examine all of Mike's prototypes.

It would be total overkill, but I would do it just to watch the blood drain from Mike's face when Kevtris walked into the room.

I'd so do it.

• Like 27

Man, I really need to start a podcast... :ponder:

you should! i know i'd definitely listen. i guess the thing about doing them that can get tedious is the routine or the schedule and sticking with it, but really id like to see some more short format type podcasts come about, maybe 20 or 30 minute ones. seems like most people go 45 minutes or an hour.

Respectuflly, John DeLorean smuggling drugs is nothing like the RVGS/Chameleon campaign. The potential crime would have been if he defrauded the masses to bring the car to fruition.

Actually he did defraud the masses to bring the car to fruition. The factory was paid for by the British taxpayer with DeLorean's promise that his project would bring prosperity to economically depressed Northern Ireland. I know it's stretching the use of the word "defraud" because he did build a car and did make a good effort to make it succeed but Mike has some very eerie similarities to the DeLorean saga.

For instance, the running prototype DeLorean showed off (in order to get funding) had literally NOTHING in common with the production car. The engine was from a Citroen, the chassis was different, and even the iconic gullwing doors were COMPLETELY different. Engineers on the project have gone on record and stated they were shocked that they had to design the entire car from the ground up because the prototype was "smoke & mirrors" as we would say here.

It's also similar in that the story is tragic for the men behind it. John DeLorean was iconic among car enthusiasts and is credited for inventing the muscle car. He rose up the corporate ranks to Vice President of GM before leaving to make his own car and destroying his name in the process. Mike had some moderate success with RETRO magazine, enough for people to take him seriously in this new crowdfunding project, and then he threw it all away. It's a tragedy of their own making.

Edited by StopDrop&Retro

This thread seems to be unnecessarily cruel, regardless of the motive. Ultimately, this seems to be the latest in a long line of video game-related dreams being bigger than reality. Surely this isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened in the industry. Glad there aren't a lot of people out there who have lost money on it, and for those who did, that sucks. I get the humor and entertainment inherent in busting a scam on the Internet, but if Mike is out there, know that not everyone wants your blood. Makes me sad for ya, hope you do okay. Will pray for your health. Don't let this destroy you; consider it a learning experience and an opportunity for growth.

Sure. Next time hide better.

C'mon he did it 3 times .... he learnt enough imho.

• Like 5

Hey guys, it's me- RVGS inc.

I just wanted to announce some of the exciting new changes coming soon, keep looking for those announcements! Also, we decided to drop the Coleco name, due to some unreasonable requests. I feel this will make the new console even better! Stay tuned for more details coming eventually! I promise!

• Like 13

Is he ill? You make it sound like he's a fragile old man with one foot in the grave. Is that just an assumption?

However, you are right regarding the money; he didn't take peoples money. But he tried. But he didn't. That is good. Compare

that to the pinball scams!

Not as far i iknow

I did enjoy reading RETRO magazine a lot as well, so regardless of this whole story, at least there's that. Whatever role you played in bringing the magazine to my mailbox, Mike, I thank you for it.

Most people here has made clear we dont want him any harm for him, stop making it look as if the comments here was making him commit suicide. As i commented before bad news travel fast, if he was ill because of this someone close to him would made that public and ask "please stop the "lynch mob" my husband/brother/father/cousin cant take this anymore".

• Like 4

Oh I don't doubt he was watching this thread like a hawk, but all I was going on was the post time between the board being accurately identified and someone posting "aaaand it's gone" Either way it's very damning.

As for Coleco, I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt, they've probably been conned like a few other people involved. Their post is really like stabbing a corpse though.

heres how it went:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/page-151?do=findComment&comment=3454386<--board identified (9:49pm)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/page-151?do=findComment&comment=3454402<--the pics were still up (10:02pm)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/page-151?do=findComment&comment=3454410<---aaaand they're gone (10:05pm)

• Like 5

Just for shit and giggles, this is the FB post from Dec 18 on the RVGS page (it's still there as of now):

"Hello everyone. You have all seen the announcement we will be branding our new console under the COLECO name. We are excited to be a part of the revitalization of a great American brand and are working hard to build a system that will live up to the reputation of the original company and their gaming products. Many have mentioned they are still awaiting actual prototype hardware and wondering what is inside COLECO Chameleon. As we've said before we have made great progress over the last two months, but are waiting until we have the prototype 100% buttoned up before going public so we avoid the issues from before, talking about things, making changes, etc. So please, continue being patient with us while we do what you all want, making and demonstrating a playable prototype. Once we have this, all will be revealed. And rest assured, it will be at a very inviting price point. Thanks again for all your support, comments and questions."

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 10

I think the seven days is a ridiculously long amount of time given the history and the parties involved. Even Mike could probably order a Raspberry Pi off Amazon, watch some of Ben Heck's tutorials, get an emulator running on it, shove it in the case, and say "See, it plays games!". Given the lack of technical expertise demonstrated by RWB (assuming they are innocent in this whole thing) so far, they could be satisfied with such a "prototype".

Seven days, seven weeks, seven months... it makes no difference. You are giving Mike way too much credit to be able to pull something together that he hasn't been able to do after many, many months.

Well if the Coleco Chameleon prototype(s) are being assessed I want to see all 3 on video or assessed in writing with someone putting their

name to the findings:

#1 - The peice of paper in a Jag Shell - should be simple, it's just a hunk of paper

#2 - The SNES Jr. in a Jag Shell - OPEN IT UP, should be simple to see it's no proto, it's a Super Nintendo

#3 - The DVR card in a Jag Shell - PLUG IT IN, should be simple, it's a PC card not a video game system of any sort.

If these 3 exact consoles are not used by Coleco to determine the fate of the relationship with MK something is going foul.

Won't happen. I'd bet money that those are all long-gone, save for the Jag shells. Taken apart, tossed in the trash, whatever.

If the engineer is going to where Mike is, they won't be able to find any of them. He'll make some sort of excuse, the protos were "lost" or "damaged" or "returned to his Hardware Guy™", maybe even show them MESS on a PC as their "development system" and that they just haven't been able to get the form factor down "yet" to fit in the Jag shell. Take your pick, or make up something else.

If Mike is to bring the prototype with him somewhere, he either won't show up, or he'll show up empty-handed with a briefcase full of excuses.

And on the off chance he does have anything to show (which would be out of sheer desperation to not lose his licensing deal with Coleco), it will be yet-another fake prototype. Does a Genesis motherboard fit under a Jag shell?

Man, I really need to start a podcast... :ponder:

Don't you have cartridges to make? ;)

(And yes... you should start a podcast. Interview some of the AA homebrewers, hobbyists and collectors. I'd listen.)

• Like 10