IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Not as far i iknow

Most people here has made clear we dont want him any harm for him, stop making it look as if the comments here was making him commit suicide. As i commented before bad news travel fast, if he was ill because of this someone close to him would made that public and ask "please stop the "lynch mob" my husband/brother/father/cousin cant take this anymore".

My comment was more about praying for his general health, including mental health. Gotta suck to have this many people want to tear you apart verbally. That's all. I don't think someone's friends should need to put out a call like that to stop people from tearing each other down. I get the gloating and glee over this whole debacle, but it just seems like people are enjoying the drama a bit too much behind their keyboards without recognizing that there are actual human beings involved.

• Like 3

So far this project makes no sense, Mike did say he had a prototype ready before John showed up that ran on ARM based emulators.

He could of easily just did that and add a FGPA Chip, so as time passed he could add FGPA Core support.

But that may all be a lie

So he probably been lying about everything for over a year

• Like 1

Just for shit and giggles, this is the FB post form Dec 18 on the RVGS page (it's still there as of now):

"Hello everyone. You have all seen the announcement we will be branding our new console under the COLECO name. We are excited to be a part of the revitalization of a great American brand and are working hard to build a system that will live up to the reputation of the original company and their gaming products. Many have mentioned they are still awaiting actual prototype hardware and wondering what is inside COLECO Chameleon. As we've said before we have made great progress over the last two months, but are waiting until we have the prototype 100% buttoned up before going public so we avoid the issues from before, talking about things, making changes, etc. So please, continue being patient with us while we do what you all want, making and demonstrating a playable prototype. Once we have this, all will be revealed. And rest assured, it will be at a very inviting price point. Thanks again for all your support, comments and questions."

pretty ironic they posted that and still went to the NY fair with a snes in a jag shell. Makes me wonder who they tried to con here, the public or coleco to keep the name in the shells.

Just for shit and giggles, this is the FB post from Dec 18 on the RVGS page (it's still there as of now):

"Hello everyone. You have all seen the announcement we will be branding our new console under the COLECO name. We are excited to be a part of the revitalization of a great American brand and are working hard to build a system that will live up to the reputation of the original company and their gaming products. Many have mentioned they are still awaiting actual prototype hardware and wondering what is inside COLECO Chameleon. As we've said before we have made great progress over the last two months, but are waiting until we have the prototype 100% buttoned up before going public so we avoid the issues from before, talking about things, making changes, etc. So please, continue being patient with us while we do what you all want, making and demonstrating a playable prototype. Once we have this, all will be revealed. And rest assured, it will be at a very inviting price point. Thanks again for all your support, comments and questions."

Now all I ask is that you give my team a fair shot to win back your trust with our second effort that will go long way to address the concerns from the final weeks leading up to the IGG campaign. We will have a playable prototype and it will be on Kickstarter.

• Like 12

I want to take a minute to explain why "I'm out for blood".

Forget the fake RVGS John proto.

Forget the Snes-in-a-Jag at the toy fair.

Focus on the CaptureCard-in-a-Jag.

-) There's a TV showing what it appears to be a multi cart running with menu selection to show the CC proto is up and running and working.

-) There's the CC proto with a bright red led to show they are not lying, it's the real deal, and it is powered.

-) There's a cart in the CC proto to make sure we all see it's running actual cartridges.

-) The CC proto is in a clear Jag shell top so we can all see its contents are real.

-) There were (because of take down) 2 clear pictures of a blue board inside of said clear shell top to show that it is really really real, this time "I swear we got the CC proto".

Turns out the board is a CaptureCard, which means it's not the proto, which means the bright red led is there just for us (powered mind you), which means the cart in there also does nothing, which means the TV is showing something else as well, which means they've got nothing.

All of it is INTENTIONAL, every single little piece of that setup points to VOLUNTARY DECEIT.

That is why I'm fuxxing mad. Do NOT insult my intelligence (or whatever is left of it)!!!

I do not care about Mike or the RVGS or CC, I do have issue with people that are in wanton disrespect of anyone else!!!

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 19

Yeah I said before, like, it would be ridiculously easy to fake a prototype that we couldn't rip apart.

He really thinks we're all THAT stupid, we're not even worth the effort to try and seriously deceive, that's what they think of the community.

• Like 4

Ehhhh........

The engineers are not really independent if River West\Coleco Holdings is hiring them. (They have interest in the product and put their brand on it) but we'll see.

Basically I'm on the fence on what they are saying but they HAD to say something.

If they hire someone to check it out, I hope they hire Kevtris.

• Like 2

Wow, 4 anonymous cowards that time. I think that might be the highest number of anonymous cowards that I've seen in one thread.

Um... :ponder: sometimes that's me.

I've been leaving this thread open to wherever I've stopped reading it so that I can restart from where I stopped when I log out.

Sorry about that. :(

• Like 2

I see a lot of new members in this thread, so at least something positive has come of this. I hope they stay and visit the other topics.

I started lurking this thread (or the old RetroVGS thread at least) because I NeoGAF kept referencing the board when that whole debacle went down. As entertaining as this thread has been, it seems safe to assume this is a board full of decent people. I'm sticking around.

Also, I don't think Coleco is trying to deceive anyone. They licensed their name to this product because they wanted to make money on it; if there is no product they're going to pull their name. They're giving "Retro" one last chance, which won't matter, because it's clear that right now they've got absolutely nothing.

Edited by Dickroach
  • Like 5

If they hire someone to check it out, I hope they hire Kevtris.

*Kevtris analysis of the prototype* i got what it seems to be a captain crunch cereal box with an old 56K* V.92 PCI Express Dial-up Faxmodem inside, seems legit guys! Tested with NEO GEO, SNES, COLECO and even a PS4 disc, runs flawlessly.

Edited by Cybermario
  • Like 4

I always wonder why such things happen.

The idea was good, the support by the community great - why the lies?

Having played a role in the Pandora disaster (and recovering it at the end), I know that things can go wrong - sure they can.

But if you're honest, the community will appreciate it.

The prototype PCB is not yet finished when the ToyFair happens?

Okay, why not put a SNES Jr. in there and TELL the people that the prototype PCB is not yet ready, the SNES is just for demonstration how the system will look like.

Then you can at least show a sample PCB (even if not working yet) to everyone interested.

We did the same at the GamesCom with the Pyra last year. The PCBs were not finished in time, so we showed the development board (off-the-shelf) as demonstration what it can do and some unpopulated or partly populated WIP PCBs with a 3D printed case and told everyone that what they can test on the monitor will be inside that portable system.

Was it a problem? Nope, everyone understood that.

Why, oh why do people have to lie just trying to satisfy everyone? The community is satisfied knowing the truth and seeing development continue later on.

They will not be satisfied with such blatant lies...

Geez, another basically good idea down the dumps :(

• Like 17

Um... :ponder: sometimes that's me.

I've been leaving this thread open to wherever I've stopped reading it so that I can restart from where I stopped when I log out.

Sorry about that. :(

Don't worry about it, I have been invisible to the list for over 10 years. Nobody knows who or what I am watching, some other mods do the same on occasion, even Albert.

I know that Al was just making a joke, but I'm still adding my vote for an AtariAge podcast. I would listen for sure. If you don't get hung up trying to over-edit stuff, it's pretty easy to produce a podcast these days. Two (or more) people can talk over Skype, but each person can record their audio track locally. Then one person can take all of those audio tracks and merge them, and it sounds like the people are all in the same room (because none of the audio tracks themselves went over Skype.)

• Like 4

My comment was more about praying for his general health, including mental health. Gotta suck to have this many people want to tear you apart verbally. That's all. I don't think someone's friends should need to put out a call like that to stop people from tearing each other down. I get the gloating and glee over this whole debacle, but it just seems like people are enjoying the drama a bit too much behind their keyboards without recognizing that there are actual human beings involved.

check it out, here's a vid mike uploaded where he pays $650 for over $4k worth of neo geo stuff. theres 30 or 40 more on his youtube channel too. for all the gloating he himself has done over ripping people off, what he is getting here is virtually nil. nothing is being taken too far here when you take into account that mike literally made a name for himself by ripping people off, and had we not been so vocal, he may have done it on a much greater scale.

• Like 7

I question why the need to wait the seven days? If it's fraud, and you have for several pages hinted at that it is fraud, post it or give it.

Well they can't just come right out and say the Mike violated the conditions of his contract (if they even have one). They have to go through the "motions" and then they can "kick him to the curb"

• Like 1

I question why the need to wait the seven days? If it's fraud, and you have for several pages hinted at that it is fraud, post it or give it.

They are being professional about the whole matter so nothing can blow back on them for being professional. If they only gave them say 24-hours, then more mud can be flung at ColecoVision for not being professional about the matter.

• Like 2

I know that Al was just making a joke, but I'm still adding my vote for an AtariAge podcast. I would listen for sure.

Not really joking, I've considered it before. And I'd definitely want the audio be higher quality than two people talking over Skype.

..Al

• Like 11

You know, projects like this fail all the time. Some are killed before a prototype is made, some are taken all the way to mass production. Jony Ive is quoted as saying "there are a thousand 'no's' for every 'yes.'" Nintendo delays things because "a bad game is bad forever." Big engineering firms like them probably throw away more ideas than startups create.

The difference? They do it in PRIVATE ...

... and if they make public promises (particularly if asking for money), they under promise and over deliver.

It's really a rare treat to see the whole sausage factory out on open parade like this. There's no need for anyone to write a memoir, because it's already all out there for us to read.

Thanks for the laughs, Mike "Homer" Kennedy. I hope your new get rich scheme gets you rich, and quick! You are an inspiration to marketers, entrepreneurs, engineers, and designers everywhere with this wonderful lesson in exactly what NOT to do. If I were a certain kind of attention-seeking individual, I could make a TED talk out of this.

• Like 16

Not really joking, I've considered it before. And I'd definitely want the audio be higher quality than two people walking over Skype.

..Al

It's actually easy to do that remotely, you get both sides recording their sides in Audacity and you mix the masters together and eliminate room noise (that part takes about 10 seconds after reading a tutorial). I'll help if you ever need it.

THAT SAID. YouTube is where it's at, any new podcast I do will be recorded on video in the same room and uploaded there.

Edited by TheRedEye
  • Like 2