IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

According to the Internet:

"Sales engineers sell complex scientific and technological products or services to businesses. They must have extensive knowledge of the products' parts and functions and must understand the scientific processes that make these products work."

That's some bastardization of the word engineer.

..Al

might just be another way to say Outside Sales Representative. Thats pretty much what I am, but my last title was Regional Sales Manager, and now Architectural Development Manager...

..it's sales

I would have liked to see the project pause when it encountered a problem. Instead it seems like it was being pushed along and forced to meet deadlines. Deadlines that were artificially imposed. And then eventually skip and gloss over them with fake hardware. Hoping. Hoping for what? STOP! STOP! Go back a step and fix the issue. Yes it may take time. And yes it is absolutely ok.

It's not like we're launching a Voyager 2 mission to the outer planets where certain things absolutely must happen on time.

They have a housing, and it can't be that hard to put some hardware in it. Just use a development board or one of the existing mini computers for under $50.00 All this recent deception was unnecessary.

I agree, kinda; kits do exist out there but then it would be another kit that anybody could do. I think I understand what Mike was aiming for at first, but then he got sidetracked by "being a business man."

Agree: Use lots of prefab stuff, and design some that are specifically designed for it and can't be bought at some store. Of course, credit any design input that was gotten from somewhere else. Also agreed, all the deception was unnecessary.

I worked with Mike briefly when I was selling on Game Gavel years back, and his motives were good. Now, it seems he has been misguided, like there is something ELSE influencing him. I am neither emotionally invested in Mike or the products or even GG anymore.

So, still sitting back and watching it turn into MORE of a train wreck.

• Like 1

might just be another way to say Outside Sales Representative. Thats pretty much what I am, but my last title was Regional Sales Manager, and now Architectural Development Manager...

..it's sales

I wasn't knocking his profession or anything, though I was sort of mocking the title of it. Nothing wrong with sales at all. I was curious as to what his background was and if it related to video games, computers, retail mass production, or anything remotely likely to be able to bring something like a video game console from concept to market. I think the answer is no.

• Like 5

Maybe there's enough hardware and variety of platforms out there now as it is. Do we need more? Maybe it's getting, or going to get, exponentially harder to come up with new and proprietary hardware bases. Maybe products now need to be borne out of presentation and convenience rather than a whole new hardware platform.

There's billions of smartphones and millions of consoles, do we need more?

Without bringing a box of emulators up, yet again, I think (and so do you) there is a market for a nice comprehensive all-in-one solution. And it can come in many shapes, one of which was the original RetroVGS. Cool. But for whatever reason (I don't care why) it morphed itself into something I didn't want.

Wouldn't it be cool to play NES, VCS, Astrocade, Intellivision, Colecovision, TI & Atari & Commodore 8 & 16 bit, TRS-80 & Apple II stuff, Vectrex, and many more.. All in one box? I think that's what gamers and enthusiasts want in addition to some of their prized original hardware.

We have some of that already, but I think it can be implemented and presented 100% better.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

Without bringing a box of emulators up, yet again, I think (and so do you) there is a market for a nice comprehensive all-in-one solution. And it can come in many shapes, one of which was the original RetroVGS. Cool. But for whatever reason (I don't care why) it morphed itself into something I didn't want.

Couldn't agree more with this statement. I did NOT and still do NOT want a Capture Card, that's what the CC always stood for, right?

• Like 7

Couldn't agree more with this statement. I did NOT and still do NOT want a Capture Card, that's what the CC always stood for, right?

I almost choked on my dinner while reading this! Too funny!

Edited by Retro Nick
  • Like 2

Maybe there's enough hardware and variety of platforms out there now as it is. Do we need more? Maybe it's getting, or going to get, exponentially harder to come up with new and proprietary hardware bases. Maybe products now need to be borne out of presentation and convenience rather than a whole new hardware platform.

Wouldn't it be cool to play NES, VCS, Astrocade, Intellivision, Colecovision, TI & Atari & Commodore 8 & 16 bit, TRS-80 & Apple II stuff, Vectrex, and many more.. All in one box? I think that's what gamers and enthusiasts want in addition to some of their prized original hardware.

We have some of that already, but I think it can be implemented and presented 100% better.

I agree 100%. And I think there is a market for it. What I don't understand is how a project could get this off track!

Have you ever bought a game? Have you supported the homebrew authors at all, on any platform? You sound like the biggest pirate on AA.

• Like 2

With everything that has been happening with RVGS and the Coleco Chameleon, I have been doing my best to write about the larger narrative taking place surrounding retro gaming. My interest in the Chameleon was my gateway into this community. I have talked with Eli from Piko Interactive, J-F from Collectorvision, and now I give you an in depth conversation with our very own Carl Williams from RGM.

http://www.nintendoloveaffair.com/2016/03/retro-gaming-magazine-gets-physical.html

He gives his take on what retro gaming really is, the state of the community, and if there is room for a cartridge console.

• Like 3

I'm sure there's some money to be made licensing the Jag shell to various projects. They could offer 3D-printed add-ons to allow mounting several different boards inside. They could also offer cart shells to Jaguar homebrew developers (not sure how many exist). This is similar to what the successful KS for Amiga 1200 cases is now offering.

Yes it wouldn't be as sexy as being the CEO of a console company but it's plenty respectable to be the CEO of a supplier. Obviously they prices shouldn't be insane either and they'll need to branch to other products. It's work but it would be more realistic than trying to invent the whole circus.

• Like 1

I'm sure there's some money to be made licensing the Jag shell to various projects. They could offer 3D-printed add-ons to allow mounting several different boards inside. They could also offer cart shells to Jaguar homebrew developers (not sure how many exist). This is similar to what the successful KS for Amiga 1200 cases is now offering.

Yes it wouldn't be as sexy as being the CEO of a console company but it's plenty respectable to be the CEO of a supplier. Obviously they prices shouldn't be insane either and they'll need to branch to other products. It's work but it would be more realistic than trying to invent the whole circus.

I can't quite understand why Mike just didn't re-released the Jaguar with new games?

During the last few days here in AA I found out that it is somewhat easy to convert Atari ST games to Jaguar. My mind exploded!

Quickly I went through our portfolio and found 4 games that we could convert and release in carts!

Imagine, how easy would have been to get an FGPA Jaguar console with HDMI out, and how easy to get some launching titles, and how easy would have been to get some new games done.

I mean I still can't understand why Mike went berserk and tried to make a console so complicated. I still don't know, after asking repeatedly, what were going to be the native Chameleon games built on.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 12

Christ, at this rate the coleco chameleon might beat the wii-u to subforum status.

I'm just going to stop sleeping and going to work, because I keep getting real far behind in this thread.

It kind of reminds me of this:

J6Slybqm.png

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

He owns the molding to the Atari Jaguar CD units also, that right there is a money maker.

Yep, a little flusher handle and some bits of plumbing and we can flush the money down there.

That reminds me I think I have an old gag a bank that looks like toilet, and makes noise when you flush the pocket change down the drain. I need to send Mike this one (without the change of course) so he can practice!

• Like 1

Thanks for giving your two cents, ED!!

It sucks that these scumbags make it harder for honest guys like you to pursue something similar.

I don't think that really happens. There's been scumbags before Kickstarter and the internet as well, and while people are pissed off, they still support stuff they like (they might be a bit more careful).

I'm not that much concerned about it, but I liked the idea.

Sure, if something goes wrong and it never sees the day of the light... well, that's life, it can happen. If there's a valid reason (running out of money, technical issues, etc.)

But this looks more like mismanagement to me... and that's really sad.

Especially as there was so much interest, contracts with Coleco, etc. It could've been a good thing, if managed properly... but he totally had to screw it up.

This is how I knew Mike & Co. were full of shit ever since we found out they didn't have a prototype ready for the Kickstarter IndieGoGo campaign. I've followed the Pandora, the GCW Zero and the Pyra. If Mike and his crew had been working for so long they would have had something to show, and it wouldn't be cardboard. People like ED slave away on their projects and love showing off their progress, no matter how small. People like Mike love over promising and hide like cowards when their house of cards comes falling down.

Sure, even before you have working prototypes, you can at least show some work in progress. Designs, part of the schematic, ANYTHING.

But all they had was a Jaguar case.. and that's no achievement if you got the molds.

• Like 1

We have different attitudes towards the internet and the best way information should be spread. I don't think information should cost anything either to access or post. Yes, that's a very utopian la-dee-dah view of the world, but I think it is something that can be accomplished on the internet and no where else.

I don't turn on ads on my videos and never intend to. I make nothing off this, in fact I spend money to get material for my channel. I do it because I enjoy it and other people enjoy watching it.

But if you want to call me out, go right on ahead, I don't care. Like I said, people should be able to express themselves freely.

Done.

I'm only calling you out because there are several people in here, including yourself, whose reasons for being here are, ostensibly, entirely self-serving. As soon as this whole drama is over, you'll all be gone.

I don't have ads either! I am just putting out the good word after I put in the time to get it. You don't have to click if you don't want to. :D

• Like 1

I can't quite understand why Mike just didn't re-released the Jaguar with new games?

During the last few days here in AA I found out that it is somewhat easy to convert Atari ST games to Jaguar. My mind exploded!

Quickly I went through our portfolio and found 4 games that we could convert and release in carts!

Imagine, how easy would have been to get an FGPA Jaguar console with HDMI out, and how easy to get some launching titles, and how easy would have been to get some new games done.

I mean I still can't understand why Mike went berserk and tried to make a console so complicated. I still don't know, after asking repeatedly, what were going to be the native Chameleon games built on.

I floated the idea a couple of times myself! It seems that publishers like Piko could produce titles (either originals or ports from other platforms) for the "new Jaguar" in much the same way that Imagitec Design did for the original Jaguar. From earlier in this thread:

[W]hy not just bring back the Jaguar? The RVGS/Chameleon has already been the butt of Jaguar jokes because of their reuse of the case, so why not "let the crime fit the punishment" and bring back the whole system? It's not as if people can just go out and buy a Jaguar nowadays; they're far too scarce and too expensive for casual collectors. Clone the Jag hardware, reissue the most popular/rare games from the original Jaguar library as your starting titles, and get together with Songbird Productions and homebrew authors to create new games and ports.

I said last year that it couldn't have turned out any worse than what they ultimately ended up doing, and I think that's even more true now!

I wouldn't mind a jagcd cart passthrough. Or heck, a flat, 3d-printed cover.

I basically bought the CD to fill an ugly and obviously cd-shaped hole in the original system.

Now it's worth a lot more on ebay than it is to me...but then I'd have the hole again...

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

I'm not sure it would be easy to write an FPGA core for a full Jaguar... is there one that's fully working out there already?