IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

It all goes askew about nine minutes in. Mike didn't make "a mistake." He made a series of mistakes that turned into lies. OF course everyone makes mistakes. It's how you deal with them that measures what kind of man or woman you are.

I'm 12 minutes in and now, the Chameleon situation is not a big deal because ISIS is killing people all over the world. Also, no one lost money. Again, ask the RGR guys about that.

15 minutes in; Pat's the bad guy because he didn't reach out to Mike for "the facts." Not that Mike had the facts, but Pat should have reached out to him (?). Also, Pat's a hypocrite because he worked for RETRO magazine (a fact he disclosed on the first podcast he did about the Retro VGS. Keep in mind John did not disclose his involvement with the RVGS).

18 minutes; Pat's doing this for views and there's two sides to every story.

21 minutes; he's upset that people take away what one guy says on the internet as gospel. He hosts a show where people go to him for his opinions about games; I'm at a loss to see how people treating Pat's (sourced) opinions is any different than him telling us how great the Retro VGS was going to be.

This was a pretty interesting video; as he says up front, he wasn't going to change anyone's opinion. He starts off fairly contrite. He's clearly very upset about his integrity being besmirched; but vacillates WILDLY between being upset with Mike, and then saying that we should look at both sides and understand that maybe Mike had good reasons for what he did. He talks about how he doesn't want to dredge up the past or get into internet drama, but goes after Pat. He says he's sorry for calling people at these forums names and for leading CollectorVision down a path with Kennedy (he was upset that suddenly some contract terms were changed on the eve of the Kickstarter)... but then he is upset that he has to apologize at all. He's angry people want him to talk about this in his comments and Twitter and Facebook, but is also angry that no one asked him what he thought about all of this (?). Pretty puzzling, all considered.

Wow! This video did not play out they way I thought it would!

Pat never said a damn thing Gamester81. He has been nothing but honest about how he wrote for RETRO magazine. And I don't think he has to attack anyone to get more hits.

Lot's of sour grapes here.

• Like 5

Wow! This video did not play out they way I thought it would!

Pat never said a damn thing Gamester81. He has been nothing but honest about how he wrote for RETRO magazine. And I don't think he has to attack anyone to get more hits.

Lot's of sour grapes here.

Yeah, I don't get where this Pat calling out gamester comes from. I'm pretty sure that "f-off" was more directed at that guy in the snow cap who's video was posted some pages back.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

I still can't get over how somebody pinpointed the exact video capture card make & model. Is there a link to the exact post in this thread where somebody made that discovery? Did he mention how he figured it out?

5-11under and I posted at the same time:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/?p=3454383

..Al

If you look further up on that page you can see some of the investigation work that identified Techwell as the likely manufacturer of one of the ICs (I was 1 digit off with the chip ID number). I didn't post it before Kevtris expressed similar suspicions because the conversation had moved on from the PCB and I didn't want to sound like an obsessed conspiracy theorist ;) It would probably have been found eventually anyway but I was pretty convinced at that point that it was a pretty old PCI video capture card.
  • Like 6

That was an interesting video that gamester made. I watched the whole thing and yeah way too long. I wouldn't have put AA screen shots on there either. Nor would I have taken shots at Pat. It's just going to make things get even worse because you know he's going to respond with fury.

I'm not on anyone's side on this either. I've watched unrelated videos on both of their channels and I'm subscribed to neither of them. Hopefully everyone can get past this mess eventually.

BTW, Anyone else notice that gamester81's voice sounds very similar to Neil Degrasse Tyson?

That was an interesting video that gamester made. I watched the whole thing and yeah way too long. I wouldn't have put AA screen shots on there either. Nor would I have taken shots at Pat. It's just going to make things get even worse because you know he's going to respond with fury.

I'm not on anyone's side on this either. I've watched unrelated videos on both of their channels and I'm subscribed to neither of them. Hopefully everyone can get past this mess eventually.

BTW, Anyone else notice that gamester81's voice sounds very similar to Neil Degrasse Tyson?

Not sure what to say, but what part of "damage control" did he not understand? .... never-mind the answer is "control" because wrt "damage" is doing good.

• Like 3

It's exhausting to have to put up with the blunders directly or indirectly connected with this master piece.

Why did g81 made that video? I mean what was he thinking to obtain?

It probably was for his subscribers more than anyone else. Just look at the replies.

I'm sure some drinking game could be devised by taking the rules of his RVGS videos/podcast and applying them to this one.

I'm getting thirsty just thinking about it.

• Like 4

It's exhausting to have to put up with the blunders directly or indirectly connected with this textbook masterpiece of a project.

Why did Gamester81 made that video? I mean what was he thinking to obtain?

I hope this was not rehearsed or written down but was just randoms incoherent rants for being caught with the pants down and not feeling bad about it .... on second thought I wish he wrote it down and read it to himself, maybe that lonely neuron left over from the great escape of the rest of his brain, would have fired up and stopped him from doing even more damage.

Every time they have some knee-jerk reaction only the "jerk" part seems to emerge.

After a couple of attempts from all the parties involved I think that's all there really is to it.

[so far only J-F and Piko seems to have taken a satisfactory position, imho, they got fooled, they went along for sometime now it's done and it's undefendable]

Let's not make this a witchhunt. Neither Piko nor Gamester were ultimately responsible for any of the bullshit Mike spewed out. The main difference here is that Piko created a much better worded appology compared to Gamester. Mike has thrown countless colleagues and business partners under the bus. Sometimes you simply go noseblind to the BS when you're surrounded by it. Piko and Collectorvision both got burned by standing too close to the fire, but not consumed. Mike is like the damn burning bush, happily sitting there like all is well. You meet a woman, fall in love, jump in bed. Then her true colors come forth, you find out she's a meth whore, followed by the nasty break up. The important thing is to distance yourself from the situation. Take the Chameleon drug test. If it comes back negative, you're clean. Guess what? Piko and Gamester both passed. Innocent until proven guilty. Piko just had better defense statements.

• Like 2

If you look further up on that page you can see some of the investigation work that identified Techwell as the likely manufacturer of one of the ICs (I was 1 digit off with the chip ID number). I didn't post it before Kevtris expressed similar suspicions because the conversation had moved on from the PCB and I didn't want to sound like an obsessed conspiracy theorist ;) It would probably have been found eventually anyway but I was pretty convinced at that point that it was a pretty old PCI video capture card.

Yes, that investigative work is what prompted me to action and, "I'm not leaving this computer until I find that damn board". Fortunately it didn't really take that long, as it seems to be a reasonably common board. But without Kevtris thoughts and especially this post from Galax, it would have taken much longer.

..Al

• Like 6

You meet a woman, fall in love, jump in bed. Then her true colors come forth, you find out she's a meth whore, followed by the nasty break up. The important thing is to distance yourself from the situation.

What a bizarre metaphor. Is your meth whore seeking crowdfunding?

• Like 7

It's exhausting to have to put up with the blunders directly or indirectly connected with this textbook masterpiece of a project.

Why did Gamester81 made that video? I mean what was he thinking to obtain?

I hope this was not rehearsed or written down but was just randoms incoherent rants for being caught with the pants down and not feeling bad about it .... on second thought I wish he wrote it down and read it to himself, maybe that lonely neuron left over from the great escape of the rest of his brain, would have fired up and stopped him from doing even more damage.

Every time they have some knee-jerk reaction only the "jerk" part seems to emerge.

After a couple of attempts from all the parties involved I think that's all there really is to it.

[so far only J-F and Piko seems to have taken a satisfactory position, imho, they got fooled, they went along for sometime now it's done and it's undefendable]

I thought it was going to be him explaining that he was just involved with making games for the CC and not involved with the prototype fraud. But this video had a twist that would make M. Night Shyamalan blush!

Nothing pisses me off more then people saying "It's just video games. More important things are going on!" Yeah. The fact that worse things are happening in the world completely excuses all other bad actions. Say that to the cops if you ever get pulled over. See how well that flies! I would expect the "It's just video games" line from someone who has no involvement in the hobby. Not someone who is supposedly passionate about it. People are right to be pissed off about this.

• Like 1

Hello guys.

First time commenter. Long time lurker.

I have been following this soap opera for a few months at Atari Age and it has been fascinating in a weird sort of way. I'm always waiting for the next chapter and it never disappoints!

Greetings from Portugal! Yes... The Chameleon saga has reached Portugal!

Edited by DFPT
  • Like 10

I put in a lot of Hard Work to keep this inoffensive. This is not an attack on Mike, it is a lighthearted jest at RVGS:

RETROVILLE (to the tune of "margaritaville")

They got the old Jag molds

To make a new console

Everyone knows that's half of the work

But as far as the hardware,

You better not go there,

They'll call you a hater, a drunk, or a jerk

I don't know the reason

It took them all season

with nothing to show but a S-N-E-S

but it's a real beauty

with tape on the booty

who put it together is anyone's guess.

Wasting time again somewhere in Retroville

searching for a DVR capture card

some people claim that there's a hardware guy to blame

they all say "it's not my fault!"

They blew off the critics

and all laws of physics

and cobbled together a "prototype" con

soon we'll see a new render

they'll never surrender

the new retro console just keeps going on...

• Like 12

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. This drama (and this thread) is what got me to register.

I'm not sure why I'm particularly fascinated with this story. I have a Wii console (not a Wii U), and a "brick" GameBoy, but that's it. So I'm not really a classic game aficionado or a collector. (I am a big 8-bit desktop computer fan, though.) But this crazy deception (at least it appears to be that) is outrageous and interesting... I just want to see how it all ends up.

• Like 8