IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

How exactly does one guarantee a console will work in 50 years time?

I thought he was referring to the cartridges, rather than the system, still working in 50 years. I think that would effect the quality of the memory used?

Honest question: Who is this SPPOC dude?

• Like 1

Your posts have been great. :)

I don't want people to have to worry that I'm going to remove posts. I've removed maybe 5 out of over 5,500 posts. And only one person so far. Just think before you post. If you're getting super emotional while posting, you might want to step away from the computer for a few minutes and then reread what you'er about to post before posting. Keep it cvil. Don't be mean-spirited, crude or cruel. Treat others like you'd like to be treated.

That is all.

..Al

I think I only deleted one or two as well, and I am thinking about deleting this one as well, as it doesn't add anything to the conversation at all. :P

• Like 4

I thought he was referring to the cartridges, rather than the system, still working in 50 years. I think that would effect the quality of the memory used?

Honest question: Who is this SPPOC dude?

But indirectly it brings up a good point, even if the carts say last 50Y what about the console?

Shouldn't that also aspire to last at least as long?

We know it is not gonna happen here, but just for fun I am not aware of any sure fire tech that lasts 50Y, example I have a Vectrex with a motherboard where all the traces are basically bubbling out of it .... it works but it's only been 40Y, not sure it will make to another 10 .... I know the same is happening to a lot of ZX Spectrums, C64s, 7800s, 2600s basically anything late 70s early 80s seems to be experiencing some form of motherboard/PCB "rotting". I have not checked something late 80s, my Gennys are early 90s and seem to be doing fine for now.

Given this is a thread about HW speculation, I believe this is actually pertinent to the discussion aside the shenanigans ongoing!

• Like 1

There goes 90 percent of my posts.

I like it when people treat me like crap. Makes me feel like I'm back home in the 1970s. Compliments and social niceties make me cringe. For a true retro experience, I must be devalued and unappreciated. :D

Yup... need to go back to those times so that you appreciate any little scrap of compliments that someone decided you have earned. Can't have you expecting anything nice. Actually, just not getting the beat down is a compliment, right? :)

• Like 1

it's not really a 64 bit server, it's two 32 bit servers running in tandem...

I've got an 8-core 64-bit AMD bulldozer rig clocked at 4.2Ghz. By that logic 64x8=512 bits. Now you're playing with power! :cool:

Sorry if this was late. I stayed up all night catching up on this stpuid thing and slept for 5 hours, got up in time for supper.

• Like 1

Your posts have been great. :)

I don't want people to have to worry that I'm going to remove posts. I've removed maybe 5 out of over 5,500 posts. And only one person so far. Just think before you post. If you're getting super emotional while posting, you might want to step away from the computer for a few minutes and then reread what you'er about to post before posting. Keep it cvil. Don't be mean-spirited, crude or cruel. Treat others like you'd like to be treated.

That is all.

..Al

My Mikaela post was constructive isnt... isnt? *slowly walks away to hide from Al*

post-34727-0-89034200-1457144319_thumb.jpg

i wish i could make more lenghty posts but pretty much people here sums up all i think by the most part, so seems a bit pointless and repetitive, also not being english native i fear to end typing something unreadable (like one of my first posts in this thread).

I have a Vectrex with a motherboard where all the traces are basically bubbling out of it

you sure that's not just the tin plating? back in the day they didn't have hot air soldering leveling, so they used to slap solder on the traces to help against corroding the copper.

http://www.mtarr.co.uk/courses/topics/0142_cftl/images/bm_cftl_phf.jpg

you sure that's not just the tin plating? back in the day they didn't have hot air soldering leveling, so they used to slap solder on the traces to help against corroding the copper.

http://www.mtarr.co.uk/courses/topics/0142_cftl/images/bm_cftl_phf.jpg

I can pierce a hole thru the trace and see the PCB underneath it .... is that the same thing you are referring to?

[i did it on my 7800 in a spot where there is this big square ground plate .... went straight thru the bubble, I filled it with solder later just because]

Well, get back to work. There's so many of them that apply to this.

There's the argument from ignorance, for the people who believed in Chameleon because they didn't believe it was proven false

Circular reasoning and circular cause and consequence of wanting this to exist because there are Jag shells and they need some electronics

Equivocation over the word "prototype"

False authority on the RVGS Facebook page after all the dissenters were removed

Homunculus of AtariAge as a bunch of "haters" as if that explains anything

Proof by assertion Mike Kennedy's communication style, say it again and again as if it's true

Nirvana fallacy, or why we can't use emulators because they aren't as perfect as FPGA could be

Onus probandi because RVGS is great until proven otherwise

Proof by verbosity especially in those damned talking head think piece videos I dislike so much

No True Scotsman as if all retro gamers are the same and want the same crap on a cartridge

Appeal to accomplishment as applicable to the RetroVGS dream team as presented (except for "hardware guy")

Appeal to emotion because don't you think kids today deserve to learn about what you liked as a child?

Wishful thinking because if you crap in one hand and wait for Chameleon with another, see which fills up first

Appeal to motive since Mike Kennedy seemed like such a Nice Guy and just got in over his head

Appeal to tradition since cartridges are old, and we liked them way back then, so they must be awesome

Straw Man we all must be jealous of their great success, or want to take them down, or something

Or am I just cherry picking?

I am speechless. You are brilliant.
  • Like 6

I can pierce a hole thru the trace and see the PCB underneath it .... is that the same thing you are referring to?

[i did it on my 7800 in a spot where there is this big square ground plate .... went straight thru the bubble, I filled it with solder later just because]

if you can see fiberglass, probably not... perhaps its delaminating?

Argument from ignorance....

It's been asked before, but how many of these supporters for the console are real people at this point? Bots and fake accounts don't count. Unless an AI is at work. Best gather my pip boy and run....

Proof by assertion

How many people can really be swayed? Wait.... a lot of people are getting swayed by insane things that are not what they seem, but I better not talk about that here.

Thanks triverse for the Carlsen interview, excellent! Now we have confirmation that the first Kickstarter was pulled because MK lied to the Kickstarter people (which seems to be the one constant in this story--MK and his lying). I'm a little disappointed that we still didn't learn why Mr. Carlsen looked like he was making his video at gunpoint, but still good info nonetheless. :)

As to those complaining about the length of RetroGamingRoundup #99, it's all killer, no filler. Absolutely worth a listen if you're still reading this thread. :D

• Like 6

Thanks triverse for the Carlsen interview, excellent! Now we have confirmation that the first Kickstarter was pulled because MK lied to the Kickstarter people (which seems to be the one constant in this story--MK and his lying). I'm a little disappointed that we still didn't learn why Mr. Carlsen looked like he was making his video at gunpoint, but still good info nonetheless. :)

As to those complaining about the length of RetroGamingRoundup #99, it's all killer, no filler. Absolutely worth a listen if you're still reading this thread. :D

I believe Mr. Carlsen said he did the video with sarcasm.

• Like 3

No! No! Don't lock it!

It's the best thread since Comment on the avatar of the previous poster!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/189387-comment-on-the-avatar-of-the-previous-poster/

This one is a doozy as well. The "Word Game" thread started by a 10 year old member last Summer to milk his post count to enter the chat room. And prior to the thread lock he made an infamous status update that I did a meme on. :lol: :rolling:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241098-word-game/page-1

post-32978-0-21694500-1440512579.jpeg

• Like 2

I got a few questions:

How does kickstarter work? With the original RetroVGS kickstarter, did they have to reach their goal funding FIRST, in order to actually take people's money? Or did they already take people's money, and then give them refunds?

If a scam was really underway, why did they give refunds at that point? I'm just trying to figure out the details. If they were scamming, wouldn't they just run off with whatever money they raised? Something is confusing about it.

Edited by KAZ

post-32978-0-21694500-1440512579.jpeg

I actually find this meme troublesome, as most people never bother to use the chat find it funny, when there is a whole different community in your own home being shut down cause some asshats pissed off the universe of AA during hangover week or some nonsense ...

there's actually a lot more interesting things going on in chat every evening than diptards asking the same dumbass google questions and having a teenage drama every second, but please continue your witch hunt like this thread will cease to exist without your petty bickering amongst yourselves ... all the while all it takes is a bad hangover and a pissy day at work for one mod in a foul mood to shut the whole thingn down, ... just like chat... then its the same picture with a different caption

Edited by Osgeld

Does anyone feel that the Coleco name will be forever tarnished if the new Coleco brand owners bungle how they handle the Chameleon disaster? (the definition of "bungle" is up to individual interpretation...)

If bungled, would anyone avoid future Coleco licensed products? Or will anyone care?

Edited by HkryCrkStudio
  • Like 2

Triverse's John Carlsen interview was pretty revealing, especially without MK controlling the subject. It sounds quite different than what we heard during the RVGS campaign. I found this line intriguing, since the interview was actually conducted a few days ago. I believe it aligns with Steve Tom Sawyer said yesterday:

His lack of sharing information seems to run deep with his projects, compartmentalized as they say.

Haven't listened to RGR's podcast yet, but am planning on it with some java in the morning. :music:

• Like 5

Does anyone feel that the Coleco name will be forever tarnished if the new Coleco brand owners bungle how they handle the Chameleon distaster? (the definition of "bungle" is up to individual interpretation...)

If bungled, would anyone avoid future Coleco licensed products? Or will anyone care?

Well, the tabletop arcade deserve a look, the Cabbage Patch dolls not so much (but that's just me)

.... all the while all it takes is a bad hangover and a pissy day at work for one mod in a foul mood to shut the whole thingn down, ... just like chat... then its the same picture with a different caption

?????

{and I saw the previous more abrasive version of the post}

What troubles you?

I guess one man's sarcasm is another man's please-don't-shoot-me. ¯\_(ヅ)_/¯

I have to agree. I think it is a difference in sense of humor. I am working on getting him on a podcast soon because text is not always the best medium for an interview.

• Like 2

There goes 90 percent of my posts.

I like it when people treat me like crap. Makes me feel like I'm back home in the 1970s. Compliments and social niceties make me cringe. For a true retro experience, I must be devalued and unappreciated. :D

Lol, I'd prefer one treating me well with action than in words. Actions speak louder, yo.