IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Well, the tabletop arcade deserve a look, the Cabbage Patch dolls not so much (but that's just me)

Table Arcades was the reason for the booth at the toy fair,was announced in 2014

Cabbage Patch kids is owned by Hasbro which also owns majority of all the Coleco IP that hasn't move to Atari, it would cause a lawsuit immediately

Edited by enoofu

I actually find this meme troublesome, as most people never bother to use the chat find it funny, when there is a whole different community in your own home being shut down cause some asshats pissed off the universe of AA during hangover week or some nonsense ...

there's actually a lot more interesting things going on in chat every evening than diptards asking the same dumbass google questions and having a teenage drama every second, but please continue your witch hunt like this thread will cease to exist without your petty bickering amongst yourselves ... all the while all it takes is a bad hangover and a pissy day at work for one mod in a foul mood to shut the whole thingn down, ... just like chat... then its the same picture with a different caption

I was just bringing up a thread that was infamous. It has nothing to do with the chat room. I never use chat and I don't care if anybody else at atariage does or not. Look I am not taking any shots to anyone in any way shape or form. I am being civil in here and not wanting and not intending to start any flame war. Carry on.

• Like 1

Table Arcades was the reason for the booth at the toy fair,was announced in 2014

Cabbage Patch kids is owned by Hasbro which also owns majority of all the Coleco IP that hasn't move to Atari, it would cause a lawsuit immediately

Cabbage Patch Kids is owned by Original Appalachian Artworks, Inc. and always has been. Coleco was the first major licensee to market dolls based off the Cabbage Patch Kids design, Hasbro followed them, then Mattel, Toys R' Us Kids, Play Along Toys, Jakks Pacific and finally the current licensee, Wicked Cool Toys.

• Like 3

How exactly does one guarantee a console will work in 50 years time?

You build them out of quality materials and components, and assemble them in. A stress-free manner. My Apple II material from 1977 and 1978 is looking like brand new. Drives, boards everything. The wife's father's Altair and Apple I are practically mint looking too. And those would be 40 years old give or take.

Part of the trick to making things last long is keeping them away from skin oils and keeping them dry. A very light coating of tuner cleaner on metal-to-metal contacts is a good thing. Dielectric grease, good too. Use conformal coating if your using your stuff in an automotive environment or in the garage.

Manufacturers can help by using refined and proven geometry that is large enough for the job. Something Flash memory is terrible at. Some designs are so small the charge is only good for 3-5 years. In fact the industry had to take a few steps backward to control fail rates.

Flash memory and capacitors are weak links in electrical components.

But indirectly it brings up a good point, even if the carts say last 50Y what about the console. Shouldn't that also aspire to last at least as long?

We know it is not gonna happen here, but just for fun I am not aware of any sure fire tech that lasts 50Y, example I have a Vectrex with a motherboard where all the traces are basically bubbling out of it .... it works but it's only been 40Y, not sure it will make to another 10 ....

I know the same is happening to a lot of ZX Spectrums, C64s, 7800s, 2600s basically anything late 70s early 80s seems to be experiencing some form of motherboard/PCB "rotting". I have not checked something late 80s, my Gennys are early 90s and seem to be doing fine for now. Given this is a thread about HW speculation, I believe this is actually pertinent to the discussion aside the shenanigans ongoing!

Your PCB traces are not bubbling up or going bad, they rolled off the assembly line that way. The copper is firmly and flatly attached to the PCB fiberglass or substrate. I can assure you of that. What you see is solder wicking and flow under the green insulation. It will not change or get better or worse for hundreds of years. You can effect mods and repairs on those just like you would on "non-bubbled" traces. They are also within spec. Promise. Don't believe me? Go take a soldering iron and see for yourself.

I have circuit boards from the Gemini and Apollo programs in my collection and they're just fine, they're from the 1960's.

• Like 6

?????

{and I saw the previous more abrasive version of the post}

What troubles you?

while its fun for everyone else, anyone that wants to engage in meaningful conversation will be shut down with the larks, just keep in mind its not a democracy here, and there are only so many judges, and most have already expressed their disdain for baby sitting this thread of dick

if they have no issue shutting down a thriving mostly productive part of their website (albeit temporarily) and permabanned members for protest, take it one step too far on a bad day and shit will hit the fan again

just an observation from someone who has pushed the buttons, well into the red

Edited by Osgeld

Relevant posts for those catching up:

Mike announces cartidge adapter (For RetroVGS) - [here]

Initial statement from Mike regarding the inception of Coleco Chameleon - [here]

"Launch titles will start to be announced in January and lead up until Toy Fair" - [here]

"Once the prototype is complete we'll reveal what's inside, it wont be much longer" - [here]

Triverse interview Mark Thomann RE: Coleco licensing and the Chameleon, & his feelings on criticism - [here]

Piko comments on initial contact with Mike for releasing software on the Chameleon - [here]

Jan 15th post points out no games have been announced yet - [here] as they were said to be [here]

Jan 22nd post lists the lack of announcements and the silence across RVGS social networks - [here]

CUPodcast covers announcement of RVGS Coleco Chameleon - [here]

RVGS facebook post hints at $150 retail price for console - [here]

RVGS facebook post states launch console will have variety of games - [here]

RVGS twitter account says "still coming" to january game announcements, Jan 30th - [here]

RVGS releases "Early launch titles" video montage, montage is just of retro games - [here]

Full list of games shown off in video montage - [here] and [here]

CUPpodcast follow up on RVGSmove towards chameleon and indiegogo campaign - [here]

Post covering RVGS facebook announcement first mention of kickstarter plans, Feb 1st - [here]

RVGS show off clothing and decal application, looks ropey as shit - [here]

Analysis of RVGS team page with linkedin profile overview - [here]

Mike talking shit about the Ouya (becomes a habbit) - [here]

RVGS "Retro VGS first quick demo" video - [here]

Coleco/Chameleon booth information for Toy Fair - [here]

Coleco/Chameleon Toy Fair brochure - [here]

Mike addresses media response and Coleco Licensing / Coleco association confusion - [here]

New RVGS homepage goes up, empty system specifications page - [here]

Fake Chameleon twitter announces project will use FPGA and be priced at $150 - [here]

Mike chimes in on fake accounts - [here]

RVGS shows console running "Sydney Hunter" (Snes) - Implies same unit will be at toy fair, No power light - [here] - [full image]

Ars Technica article covers the removal of standard ports among other things - [here]

Post covering the deletion of content by RVGS - [here]

RVGS announce date of kickstarter for Chameleon on FB - [here]

Initial analysis of Toy Fair footage - No power light, Hardwired snes controllers - [here]

Theory that the multi-cart shown at Toy Fair is a Snes2SD - [here]

First theory stating the contents of the Toy Fair prototype is likely just a SNES - [here] (Image deleted by RVGS)

Shot of the back of the unit gets analysis - [here]

More speculation regarding the content being a SNES - [here] - [here] - [here]

RVGS state they will show pictures of the PCB for the kickstarter launch, and that it will be FPGA Arm - [here]

RVGS address the suggestions that the contents is just a Snes Jr (watching the thread much?) - [here]

Kevtris chimes on on the reality that it's likely a SNES inside a Jaguar shell - [here]

RVGS claim they have written a SNES FPGA - [here]

Poster re-creates the "Prototype" using Snes JR and Jaguar shell - Get's perfect match - [here]

Poster compares the above image to the "Prototype" - [here]

Poster posts the photo RVGS posted to quiet the "show the connections" requests - [here]

Mike covers the topic of purchasing the Jaguar molds - [here]

PikoInteractive's website quoted after interacting with coleco and asking Mike to debunk SNES mini rumors - [here]

Youtuber covers the growing speculation towards Snes Mini/Jr fakery - [here] and [here]

Poster compares the rear connections of Snes mini to the "prototype" directly - [here]

Interview with Mike at the toy fair - [here]

Pictures from the booth - Controller is Interworks Pro Controller U - [here]

Vanta note! - they simply drilled out a hole in the IR panel and threw in a USB cable)

Poster covers discrepency regarding "hardwired" claims - [here]

CUPodcast covers the latest findings regarding the kickstarter and prototype - [here]

RVGS banning users on FB for bringing up the Snes Mini speculation - [here]

Various excuses by Mike regarding the shell and protrusions of the Snes Mini - [here]

Vanta note! - Changing the tooling to accommodate such changes would require a new mold to be made, of the modification of existing molds to save cost, thus, if he went ahead with modification of the existing molds, the original Jaguar molds would be lost forever.

Email from someone that hates ReviewTechUSA getting his video of the Chameleon fiasco pulled - [here] and [here]

ReviewTechUSA's video regarding the Chameleon - [here]

Another interview with Mike at the Toy Fair - [here]

SD&R's overview ofthe interview - [here]

More information from Kevtris stating he won't touch CC with a barge pole - [here]

Poster makes a replica of the prototype - [here]

RVGS states they will make an announcement soon regarding SNES speculation - [here]

Mike again claims their "Software" was running the games, not a SNES - [here]

Chameleon On//Off and Light pipe toolings - [here]

Recap of FB posts by RVGS team in correct order - [here]

RVGS posts update with Clear console pictures - the start of Mikes true downfall - [here]

Note that the image linked in this post was the one that Mike deleted once it was found to be faked - [here]

All images, including the deleted one can be found - [here]

Poster identifies some chips and the board type used in the transparent "prototype" - [here]

Posters identify the correct board used in the now confirmed fake "prototype" - [here] and [here]

Comparison of "prototype" along side the actual board placed inside to fake it - [here]

Coleco addresses the concerns and assigns RVGS 7 days to turn over a working prototype - [here] - Due date should be March 10th.

SD&R's overview of the timeline that brought us here can be found via this link, too.

Since this is an active story and an active thread, consider this post to be a *work in progress* if you have any links I should add, inbox me them and i'll add.

• Like 40

I can pierce a hole thru the trace and see the PCB underneath it .... is that the same thing you are referring to?

[i did it on my 7800 in a spot where there is this big square ground plate .... went straight thru the bubble, I filled it with solder later just because]

In some processes, yes. You're still good for years and years to come.

Does anyone feel that the Coleco name will be forever tarnished if the new Coleco brand owners bungle how they handle the Chameleon disaster? (the definition of "bungle" is up to individual interpretation...)

If bungled, would anyone avoid future Coleco licensed products? Or will anyone care?

Perhaps ...I'd say as brands now are just used for past glory and nothing created now. It's a game of how much the brands can get for products they think will sell in volume. It's sad when you think about it and even more so when folks are buying inferior products as an alternative. There is a point when the cow has no more milk....

• Like 2

The John Carlsen interview was very informative, thanks triverse. I also listened to Piper & Piko talk and it was great, Piko remembers details to the T, which made for a very entertaining listen. Especially when you find out Lee is crazier than Mike. It also shed some light on the Gamester81 video (o lawd) and why he suddenly wants to distance himself from the fiasco since he stands to make no money from it anymore.I don't know why it's so hard for people not to just come out and say "I did what I did for the money" instead of dancing around it, like that somehow is going to give active camo to your true intentions. It was very apparent that Collectorvision was thinking with their heads because they wanted nothing to do with the system unless they were the pack-in game, as obviously it'd be the only game on the system to sell any copies. I found it particularly hilarious that Mike was happy with literally fucking anything as the pack-in game by the end of the Piko tale. But later, fuck those games. He needs a killer app, yo. I guess now we need a killer app store along with the core store. Saddest thing is we know now with almost certainty Mike required SNES/Genesis FPGAs for his idea to work. That might be the most disturbing part since neither exist, are costly and would take tons of time. A lot more than 50 days... that KS was bad, bad news and it would have happened had it not been for people standing up for themselves, finally. Inevitably, how else could it have turned out? The system would have been some emulators just like the Retron 5. Except with Jag shells. God. If I was in it as far as Mike was and even worse, what he could have been in, I'd have had a nervous breakdown.

And then I saw some of the hollering mosquito's video and he was even louder than usual, though I feel his logic fell apart half way through in defense of his friend with the weak sauce just glossing over the softball question video. It happens, I don't think anyone was involved in this enough to blame but Mike. The desperate actions in the face of adversity of certain individuals in my opinion reveals true colors. Others, like Piko, get to come out smelling sweet as a rose because he was smart enough to remain true and have a cool head while keeping a gateway to Mike open in the event his company could succeed.

Thankfully, everyone Mike has encountered so far is too nice and forgiving, or maybe he'd really have some trouble.

• Like 7

Does anyone feel that the Coleco name will be forever tarnished if the new Coleco brand owners bungle how they handle the Chameleon disaster? (the definition of "bungle" is up to individual interpretation...)

If bungled, would anyone avoid future Coleco licensed products? Or will anyone care?

They can just work to release a Coleco tabletop clone similar to the ones below, and all will be forgiven. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiqWL7u8EH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7htPuVxjIYs

• Like 9

In some processes, yes. You're still good for years and years to come.

I guess you are referring to this one here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243399-do-all-versions-of-the-2600-have-poor-quality-pcbs/

But in the process of the solder/tin to wick underneath, wouldn't it raise the actual trace and fill it with itself?

Anyway moot point as the boards are working, it is just scary to desolder on them.

To many of the oldsters, the Coleco and Atari names are already shadows of their former selves. Names are bought and sold like stocks on the stock market. Us oldsters would rather read about and preserve the true history of our favorite companies and their actions rather than get involved with half zombified resurrections.

The newcomer to Coleco probably won't care, they're used to shenanigans like these. Seems to be part and parcel of the Internet culture. They'll learn.

I don't know if I'd actively avoid future Coleco products. But as always before purchase I'd look at them with a critical eye. It's wise to do that with anything.

I was simply dismayed with how Coleco and Mike took us for fools. Coleco did so by not doing due diligence. Mike did so by way of bogus prototypes and continual delays and inflated promises. I personally don't forget those things. Not that one potential customer matters or anything.

I prefer the old days. You and mommy go into the supermarket and buy an EGM rag, then you take it home and drool over the stuff. And a month later it shows up on the shelves - more often than not. Sure there was vaporware, but there was enough new stuff we got distracted.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I actually find this meme troublesome, as most people never bother to use the chat find it funny, when there is a whole different community in your own home being shut down cause some asshats pissed off the universe of AA during hangover week or some nonsense ...

there's actually a lot more interesting things going on in chat every evening than diptards asking the same dumbass google questions and having a teenage drama every second, but please continue your witch hunt like this thread will cease to exist without your petty bickering amongst yourselves ... all the while all it takes is a bad hangover and a pissy day at work for one mod in a foul mood to shut the whole thingn down, ... just like chat... then its the same picture with a different caption

Heyo, I understand if something is important to you, but we're just trying to have a laugh, man. Not trying to attack nor make fun of others. I personally love the chat as well, it's always fun to talk with people who have same (or similar) interests as me. Of course, there's always that one troll or hacker here and there. But it's a great chat room.

• Like 1

I guess you are referring to this one here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243399-do-all-versions-of-the-2600-have-poor-quality-pcbs/

But in the process of the solder/tin to wick underneath, wouldn't it raise the actual trace and fill it with itself?

Anyway moot point as the boards are working, it is just scary to desolder on them.

It could. If it does or doesn't no big deal. Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

They can just work to release a Coleco tabletop clone similar to the ones below, and all will be forgiven. :)

Holy crap! That's gorgeous! I'd love to build one, but I couldn't get myself to gut either of the 2 tabletops I own.

OK Peeps, check out our interview with Eli of Piko Interactive.

It's on iTunes etc at 64kbps and there is a higher 128kbps version on our shownotes page here:

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2016/roundup099_2016.03.php

I do believe I said "or your money back."

Ain't nobody getting their money back...............

That is one epic tell-all, Piko. Kudos to you for washing your hands of this mess. It's been great. Now to catch up on all the BS I missed while listening to this epic piece.... :thumbsup: :cool: :D

• Like 4

I'm so full of it (my eyes are brown, I know!!!) that I'm gonna quote myself :grin:

The lack of new and exciting announcements is making the speculation run on his own ..... I see how that works now.

We need more CC announcements, it's like a drug, we need the real deal, we can only make it up so much among ourselves.

It's the final countdown, nanana na, na na na nanna, nanana na, na na na nanna ......

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiqWL7u8EH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7htPuVxjIYs

I'd love to somehow buy one of these. They look so awesome (I know they are 'just' a ras-pi inside). :)

I have a ras-pi, and like running retropie on it.

Edited by KAZ

Awww... I might be too late in my catch up posts and links. But at least they're in chronological order:

2/26/15 First mention of the Retro VGS on AtariAge
4/14/15 First mention of FPGA
4/8/15 First pricing info
9/7/15 Preliminary cardboard PCB revealed
9/14/15 $299/$349 prices revealed
9/15/15 Kickstarter references removed from Facebook
9/17/15 Switch to IndieGoGo confirmed
9/17/15 Confirmation of no working prototype
9/18/15 IndieGoGo announced to start tomorrow and new sizzle reel posted
9/19/15 IndieGoGo begins
9/19/15 Kevtris criticizes the project
9/19/15 Mike responds to Kevtris
9/25/15 Video of first alleged prototype posted
9/25/15 John Carlsen's update on project status
9/25/15 Mike calls CU Podcast "drunken commentary"
9/29/15 Mike ends the IndieGoGo (but campaign cannot be canceled)
9/30/15 John Carlsen leaves the team via Facebook update
10/1/15 First alleged prototype's off the shelf components identified
10/6/15 Mike's first AtariAge update since the IndieGoGo's failure
11/4/15 IndieGoGo ends
12/10/15 First indication of new "prototypes" under construction
12/17/15 COLECO licensing deal revealed
12/23/15 Mike proposes a Christmas truce
12/23/15 Mike confirms "there was NOTHING accurate about" his claimed connection to ColecoVision
12/23/15 Mike claims he's funding the next prototype out of pocket
12/24/15 Mike addresses Carl, posts confidential emails from Konami
2/11/16 Mike's last appearance on AtariAge to dismiss a troll account
2/12/16 Second alleged prototype teased on Facebook
2/13/16 Toy Fair begins, Kickstarter Campaign announced to start on 2/26/16
2/13/16 "Prototype cart" identified as a SD2SNES, SNESgate begins!
2/26/16 Silence in the morning, update in the afternoon announcing a delay, pics of third alleged prototype posted
2/29/16 Third alleged prototype board identified as a capture card, COLEgate begins!
3/2/16 COLECO gives a seven day ultimatum to produce the alleged prototype for inspection
Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 25

Awww... I might be too late in my catch up posts and links. But at least they're in chronological order:

No worries, colecting a list twice at least insures there is less chance we missed something.

Albert if you read this, give the years sub to SD&R, i'm already subbed!

So I want to address something that I thought about while creating my own list above.

When you do modifications to an existing design that require significant "addition" to the plastics, the other side of the mold requires significant removal, likewise when you require significant removal of plastics, the other side requires significant addition, all of this is generally (when people are using existing production molds) done by having NEW molds created, sometimes it's possible to modify existing molds and only go new for a mold half instead, it drastically cuts the cost of mold production but permanently alters the original mold.

I hope to f*#king god Mike doesn't, in his pursuit of a day dream, cut corners and have some factory modify the Jaguar molds, because if they do the original molds for the Jaguar will be lost forever.

• Like 7

This is great, thanks! I've added these links to the first post in the thread, and have also given you a one-year subscription to the forum. :)

..Al

• Like 20