IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I've been wondering also if "Mr. Lee" is either:

1) Actually none other than Mike himself; or

2) A MK team crony parroting what Mike told him to say

Wait a minute. A guy named Lee who passes off other people's work as proprietary technology. That reminds me of something.

• Like 4

I can attest to this, as I just recently hooked up my Sega Master System for the first time in 10 years. I forgot how long the AC adapter and RF cable were...crap! And, I must say, I love it...makes it easier to move the console around or get around back with so much slack. The XBox 360 cords are probably the worst in this regard.

PS, anyone in Louisville this weekend for the Louisville Arcade Expo? I am driving down tomorrow for the morning and early afternoon. I am hoping to catch Billy Mitchell at his panel discussion at noon, but if any of you are there, we can talk "Chameleon!" :)

that's why my preferred SMS model is the Master System Super Compact.

http://i.imgur.com/LznsbSp.jpg

You could play it without using any cables (it has a RF antenna).

I'm halfway thru the "book of Eli" and about that Lee, here's the thing.

Eli states that after the Toy Fair, Lee asks him to use his hacked menu system to cram a few games in a multi (one of the game Sydney Hunter from the competition), because of issues they talk back and forth and Lee states that his company has never done consoles, that's their first ......

screeching halt for a sec here

we already established at that point there's no FPGA core for SNES that runs perfect games, Lee allegedly convinced Mike that only the back is an SNES the rest is real but then after the SNES-in-a-Jag gate in the 2 weeks leading to the KS when in this very thread we went so far as to translate 2 twits from the only known Japanese dev with something working for a SNES core on a FPGA which is as baffled as anyone else, in those 2 weeks Lee states clearly to Eli it's the first console he built .... but Mike told Eli they are only 2 weeks away from a revised core ready for KS .... Eli for sure read in this very thread that worldwide there's no SNES FPGA core that is fully working .... and Lee is asking Eli to get more SNES games in the cart ...

weird if you ask me.

• Like 3

that's why my preferred SMS model is the Master System Super Compact.

http://i.imgur.com/LznsbSp.jpg

You could play it without using any cables (it has a RF antenna).

Surely you've got to power the beastie lad, or does it use wireless power as well? ;)

EDIT: batteries maybe, but the smart-ass joke was irresistible.

EDIT2: and batteries it is http://segaretro.org/Master_System_Super_Compact, joke's on me!!!!!!

Surely you've got to power the beastie lad, or does it use wireless power as well? ;)

EDIT: batteries maybe, but the smart-ass joke was irresistible.

it ran on batteries

In a way, I hope we never find out who "Lee" really is. I still like the mental image of "Mr. Li", a wild-eyed Asian dude with crazy hair who talks a mile a minute and always has a roll of electrical tape on a lanyard around his neck, spending his days in a darkened "lab" full of bins of old junk, always ready to break out the glue gun and the Dremel tools whenever Mike needs to produce another "prototype" to fend off the inquiring mobs. It would fit right in with the overall goofiness of this project.

• Like 7

Eli states that after the Toy Fair, Lee asks him to use his hacked menu system to cram a few games in a multi (one of the game Sydney Hunter form the competition), because of issues the talk back and forth and Lee states that his company has never done consoles, that's their first ......

we already established at that point there's no FPGA core for SNES that runs perfect games, Lee allegedly convinced Mike that only the back is an SNES the rest is real but then after the SNES -in-a-Jag gate in the 2 weeks leading to the KS when in this very thread we went so far as to translate 2 twits of the only known Japanese dev with something working for a SNES core on a FPGA which is as baffled as anyone else, in those 2 weeks Lee states clearly to Eli it's the first console he built .... but Mike told Eli they are only 2 weeks away from a revised core ready for KS .... Eli for sure read in this very thread that there's no SNES FPGA core that is working worldwide .... and Lee is asking Eli to get more SNES games in the cart ...

weird if you ask me.

What are you trying to say?

Stop reading between the lines man; I already stated that I've been more than transparent with AA, and I am not in the mood for accusations. It is funny that now that I have disclosed everything that happened and I know; accusations to me are going to start flying in.

Don't disappoint me AA, don't do it.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 12

The fallout continues to take place. Was browsing Gamester81's Youtube video last night and scrolling through the comments section look what I found:

DavidGLeaves_zps4tmlaiz1.png

It's sad to witness this whole thing. Mike really can't blame anyone other than himself. If only he were more honest and open from the very start, and more humbled to assemble a team of capable people in respective fields to do their jobs. He went into this without a strong blueprint and it's evident that he may never recover from this as far as being a "personality" within the retro gaming community.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I backed Retro two years and they're not getting a third from me. The magazine has been horribly disappointing and suffers from long delays. Issue 10 just came out when Mike promised to catch up and have issue 12 out by December 2015. It's already March 2016 and I'd be shocked if issue 12 gets here before summer. Hell, I could see the magazine quietly dying right here, at issue 10.

Sadly, none of this would surprise me in the least.

• Like 4

Piko sounded incredibly honest on the podcast and I sincerely think that what you heard is what he knew. I don't think there are any lines to read between there.

The thing is that since there is no new controversy out there. People have to direct their anger to somebody else.

Eli states that after the Toy Fair, Lee asks him to use his hacked menu system to cram a few games in a multi (one of the game Sydney Hunter form the competition), because of issues the talk back and forth and Lee states that his company has never done consoles, that's their first ......

we already established at that point there's no FPGA core for SNES that runs perfect games, Lee allegedly convinced Mike that only the back is an SNES the rest is real but then after the SNES -in-a-Jag gate in the 2 weeks leading to the KS when in this very thread we went so far as to translate 2 twits of the only known Japanese dev with something working for a SNES core on a FPGA which is as baffled as anyone else, in those 2 weeks Lee states clearly to Eli it's the first console he built .... but Mike told Eli they are only 2 weeks away from a revised core ready for KS .... Eli for sure read in this very thread that there's no SNES FPGA core that is working worldwide .... and Lee is asking Eli to get more SNES games in the cart ...

weird if you ask me.

Hard to say if their in no FFGA core for a SNES, problem mainly been that FGPA chip's were to expensive until lately to make commercial products that could complete with a SNES or a SNES EVERDRIVE combo Price point

Reading though some of the past comments people that attempted it, apparently a lot of the chips are well documented, just wasn't viable at that time to continue do to the above

Edited by enoofu

The thing is that since there is no new controversy out there. People have to direct their anger to somebody else.

Hard to believe anyone is truly angry besides those who were unfortunate enough to have something to do with the project. Everyone else in the Peanut Gallery should just enjoy the show.

youtube.com/watch?v=pnUGAe0yqz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnUGAe0yqz4

• Like 2

Y'know, I've been reading this whole thread, and reading other articles, and trying to keep up. But I had to register to say a few things because I was impressed.

1.) Great job guys on finding out what the newest prototype was. I sat up all night trying to find out what it was cause it looked awfully familiar. Now, I know! Great job!

2.) I honestly think that MK is totally in the loop as to what was wrong with the system\project, and was freaking out about the fact that you guys were paying such close attention. The fact that some of you were able to do a screen grab, and edit out the watermarked pictures was awesome, and I think did him in. I'm betting he was hoping in the 11 minutes between you posting what it was, and the time they took down the pictures that they had gotten away with it, and would be able to point you guys as crazy by deleting the pictures.

3.) The fact that they have been watching the forum post means you guys definitely scared them. I'm betting they're even more pissed because now the holders of Colleco are getting directly involved.

4.) I am saddened by the fact that things had to get unpleasant concerning Gamester81 and PatTheNESPunk. I honestly think that was a bit of miscommunication, or wrong misconceptions. I hope that gets resolved.

5.) I don't see how anyone can think that Gamester81 was even anywhere REMOTELY involved with this. Other than the fact that it was his friend, and he is co-owner or something of Collectorvision I see no evidence proving Gamester had anything to do with the project itself, other than wanting to develop for the system. And the fact that he was trying to insure his games were pack-ins. Makes sense to me.

Overall, great job guys. You've done awesome, and I'm proud of my fellow retro gamers here who took the time, and ingenuity to put down someone who would have eventually tried to sucker, or dupe possibly thousands of people.

• Like 13

.... one thing that has come out of this thread, other than entertainment, is that it makes me want to buy a Jaguar.

I wish I had the funds to buy the jag molds from Mike K and donate the case to Kevtris for his Zimba 3k and the cart mold to Krikzz for an everdrive

I don't think Kevtris would want to touch that mold with a ten foot pole given the fact MK has shat all over it.

• Like 1

Okay, so I've read more than once that John (Gamester81) owns the Jag molds...was he the initial buyer or did he buy them from Mikey Kennedy? OR has he owned them this whole time and as such is a partner in the whole endeavor? I apologize if this has already been covered.

The Gamester81 owns the molds thing seems to be a completely false lead. There's been no evidence that he ever owned the molds at any time. Mike on the other hand has posted more than enough info to show that the molds left the previous owner who made the shells for Imagine and sold them to him and no one else in between.

I don't know where Larry Bundy heard that rumor. But speaking of which, I remember seeing his comments on the Facebook page after the Toy Fair. He seemed genuinely interested in the Chameleon. I always wondered why Mike never reached out to him, he has a big following online. I attribute that oversight to him just plainly being out of touch with the retro scene and not knowing some of the heavy hitters.

Gamester81 DON'T own any Jaguar molds

I wish he did though, so we could start making Jaguar homebrews ;)

• Like 4

I never thought for a second MK sold the molds. He's like Gollum with the One Ring.

I did wonder if that message meant Gamester had access to an injection molding machine, though that too seems unlikely unless MK shipped the molds out-of-state.

I disagree with that premise; though bored people may look too hard for clues. I know vendors are on edge, but you sounded angrier than phoenixdownita! Your poor desk. :D

As I've said before, I appreciate your candor in all this. Your appearance on RGR was entertaining and informative, even for someone like myself who's kept a close eye on both RVGS and Chameleon.

• Like 7

I never thought for a second MK sold the molds. He's like Gollum with the One Ring.

I did wonder if that message meant Gamester had access to an injection molding machine, though that too seems unlikely unless MK shipped the molds out-of-state.

I think the individual who stated Gamester81 had the molds was simply wrong.

..Al

• Like 13