IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Maybe "retrogamers" and "classic gamers" should become more involved and active in recreating the environment and method for playing their favorites.

Open Source FTW :D

What I mean by that is there should be more self-initiative toward building MAME cabs and R-Pi emulation rigs. More centralized repair info repositories, perhaps even manuals written with old-school theory of ops decriptions. And certainly more learning about repairing existing consoles.

Because, if we leave it to idiot salesmen and weak companies brandishing brands about care-free we're gonna end up with shallow products delivering a half-assed experience.

• Like 1

Was the Coleco that made the actual ColecoVision the original company? I doubt a bunch of old dudes working with leather shoes and swimming pools learned the skills to make a console. Anyway, we are on Atari Age. The Atari Club and the Atari Age magazine are back! Albert, I would like to cash this in for a homebrew:

d02497b9e79b9174cff68b41a6274294.jpg

• Like 8

Was the Coleco that made the actual ColecoVision the original company? I doubt a bunch of old dudes working with leather shoes and swimming pools learned the skills to make a console. Anyway, we are on Atari Age. The Atari Club and the Atari Age magazine are back! Albert, I would like to cash this in for a homebrew:

d02497b9e79b9174cff68b41a6274294.jpg

Thanks! Here's your homebrew:

detail_1046_2600_StarCastleArcade_detail

..Al

• Like 20

What I mean by that is there should be more self-initiative toward building MAME cabs and R-Pi emulation rigs. More centralized repair info repositories, perhaps even manuals written with old-school theory of ops decriptions. And certainly more learning about repairing existing consoles.

Because, if we leave it to idiot salesmen and weak companies brandishing brands about care-free we're gonna end up with shallow products delivering a half-assed experience.

Don't think most people would want to put the foot work into making a MAME cabs, and some of the people capable don't have the room

More centralized repair info repositories, perhaps even manuals written with old-school theory of ops decriptions. And certainly more learning about repairing existing consoles.

Yes, it doesn't extend just to open source. There's already a lot of info on the web (e.g. BYOAC) and plenty of projects that can be used (Hyperspin, Retroarch, etc), plus extensive collections of docs and data (world of spectrum, Asimov AppleII archive, etc).

The only caveat is that if you make something very accessible and centralized, it might become swamped with support requests from people who can't be bothered to RTFM...

• Like 1

The classic way to play classic games like VCS and Intellivision is to sit in front of a console TV, on the floor or in a beanbag, with the console right in front of you, with a stack of carts at your side.

And with a Swansons frozen dinner cooking in the oven. That was the best! After my monthly shower, I'd get one and play Superman on Friday nights.

I see your Swansons and raise you chicken pot pie.

I'm not trying to be mean, but (besides the Flashback) were there any actual products shown in the Coleco booth? By that I mean any real, forthcoming products? They had Cabbage Patch kids but my understanding is those aren't River West Brands to license. They showed those mini arcades, but Coleco/RWB doesn't have the licenses for the arcade games either. Given history, the odds of any Nintendo products making it into those mini-arcades seems to be exactly zero. Other companies might be more willing, but given none of the big classic companies (Namco, Sega, Nintendo, etc.) participated in the Flashback (a product with a much broader appeal given those companies own plug-and-play products), getting them interested in mini-arcades seems like a longshot. Unless someone is clamoring for a Pepper II or Mousetrap mini-arcade, what was the point of the display other than to taunt us with what likely won't ever be again?

Chris is just getting started with the Brand, Granted the main attraction at the toy fair was the chameleon there was how ever lots of interest in old coleco product such as those mini arcades, cabbage patch (Chris visited their booth and got some contacts), StarCom and so forth. I agree Nintendo would be a very long shot, however Namco may be more agreeable. It would be cool to launch a PacMan Multi MiniCade with all the PacMan games on it including have the orginal VFD emulated. The PacMan MiniCade was the first in the line back in the 80's, so it would be appropriate to do that again under this new Brand under River West Brands. I and others have been telling Chris there is a big demand for MiniCades, the nostalgia for classic arcade games and for the Coleco MiniCades is there. I showed chris some sites that have people taking dead vintage Coleco MiniCades and installing modern components (LCD Screen, Raspberry Pi, ETC) to make them into little multicades which apparently are selling quite well. Chris is trying very hard to promote the Brand, getting the community behind him would only make it better for all in the long run.

• Like 5

Chris is just getting started with the Brand, Granted the main attraction at the toy fair was the chameleon there was how ever lots of interest in old coleco product such as those mini arcades, cabbage patch (Chris visited their booth and got some contacts), StarCom and so forth. I agree Nintendo would be a very long shot, however Namco may be more agreeable. It would be cool to launch a PacMan Multi MiniCade with all the PacMan games on it including have the orginal VFD emulated. The PacMan MiniCade was the first in the line back in the 80's, so it would be appropriate to do that again under this new Brand under River West Brands. I and others have been telling Chris there is a big demand for MiniCades, the nostalgia for classic arcade games and for the Coleco MiniCades is there. I showed chris some sites that have people taking dead vintage Coleco MiniCades and installing modern components (LCD Screen, Raspberry Pi, ETC) to make them into little multicades which apparently are selling quite well. Chris is trying very hard to promote the Brand, getting the community behind him would only make it better for all in the long run.

Well man, I can add you to the list of awesome stuff that I've found from this RVGS/CC Saga. Awesome little podcast, I really enjoyed the Chris Cardillo interview. Thanks for staying Switzerland through all of this.

• Like 2

Well man, I can add you to the list of awesome stuff that I've found from this RVGS/CC Saga. Awesome little podcast, I really enjoyed the Chris Cardillo interview. Thanks for staying Switzerland through all of this.

Actually InnovaX5 I was not neutral in all of this. I was also blinding following along hopeful for the project, Toy fair started my doubt and the third Fauxtotype clinched it. My buds over at RGRU told me what was going on (And here on AA) but I would not listen, I am very thankful they remained loyal friends through this and I owe them and all here on AA a big apology. I am now in a unique position having the ear of Chris (Coleco) and Mark (River West Brands), I just want to put my energy to helping Coleco succeed and hope we as a community can help with that. I know Chris is very thankful for all the hard work the people here on AA have done to help protect the brand during this situation. Lets continue to help Chris further with the New Coleco Brand so we can get some awesome product :) I would implore anyone to send in some feedback to Chris. There is also a subforum I created called "Ask Chris Cardillo" in the ColecoVision section of the Classic Gaming SubForum. If Chris does not see the question there, I can make sure he gets it.

• Like 10

How close are we to the end of the 7 day deadline?

Has anyone visited the RetroVGS Facebook page lately? The page still has 19,864 fans. Do you think they were all legit or are some of these "fans" the kind you can buy in bulk on Black Hat sites and Fiverr? The average post on the RetroVGS Facebook receives around 250 likes. Their videos have received thousands of views. Coleco Holdings LLC has around 880 followers on Twitter.

How much legitimate interest was there really in this product? I mean the IG campaign failed spectacularly, would the Kickstarter have failed too? Even with a working prototype?

Has anyone visited the RetroVGS Facebook page lately? The page still has 19,864 fans. Do you think they were all legit or are some of these "fans" the kind you can buy in bulk on Black Hat sites and Fiverr? The average post on the RetroVGS Facebook receives around 250 likes. Their videos have received thousands of views. Coleco Holdings LLC has around 880 followers on Twitter.

How much legitimate interest was there really in this product? I mean the IG campaign failed spectacularly, would the Kickstarter have failed too? Even with a working prototype?

I believe the bulk of the 19,864 are there for the lolz.
  • Like 4

Even better idea, shove the whole RPi Zero into the cart, have the "cart" connected directly via the HDMI connector to the TV, small USB charger cable to power it (a la ChromeCast, Amazon TV stick) or/and have an MHL version for TV sets that have it, the PiZero has a second USB (well the only USB, power does not count) that's where you connect joypad or USB dongles for BT etc.... yes in short a Google ChromeCast stick with a single game/combo and a single USB to connect the pad/BLE or whatever .... the damn ChromeCast is 35US$!!!!

As simple as that!!!!

[madman is gonna rip right thru this :-D ]

Assuming the cart edge connectors are fat connectors like old school retro, would the cartridge bus handle the massive HDMI data bandwidth? Most old school cart busses operate at a few megahertz tops, and with HDMI, speeds are in the gigabit range. You can't just wire up an HDMI port with a bunch of PCB traces to a cart bus. It may check out with a DC multimeter but fail spectacularly in use. :roll:

• Like 2

Can someone post a quick link to the Coleco post/tweet/whatever where they said they wanted something within a week? Thanks!

It was on their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Colecovision-1616402778636687/

Chameleon Product: We are thankful to have a large group of passionate engineers and retro game enthusiasts who follow Coleco and other product lines. It has come to our attention that the community has certain concerns over the prototypes involving the Retro VGS model. The team at Retro remains confident that their product is developed to the extent as describe; HOWEVER, in order to confirm or debase these concerns, Coleco has demanded to inspect the prototype units within a seven day time frame. At which time, independent engineers will review their findings and determine if those units are up to our standards. We will report some or all of those findings to the community so as long as they do not interfere with proprietary information. We remain hopeful that the community's concerns are merely speculations, but if there is merit to the concerns, then we have no choice but to abandon the project rather than release a sub-par product. During this time, we ask that the community allow us time to complete these inspections. Time extensions will only be granted if requested by the independent engineer. Time extensions and results will be posted here.

post-39360-0-88685100-1457361129_thumb.png

Unless Mike has come up with a recipe for spark plug omelettes I think the deadline is kind of a formality now though. http://colecovisionspodcast.blogspot.ca/2016/03/minisode-2-q-and-with-chris-cardillo-of.html

• Like 9