IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Regarding inspecting the "prototype," going back through the Chris Cardillo interview, it sounds like it's not actually Coleco's Top Men™, but Retro is going to have to find Top Men™ on their own to manage it:

43:20 "Retro is required to show us an inspection of the product"

44:35 "We have an obligation to have them demonstrate this to a third party who is also in the hardware engineering field..."

"We have top men working on it, top men!"

Bg0MD0lCIAEWX2K.jpg

• Like 6

Deadline is Thursday

I am expecting silence. Either it never gets that far, or we don't know of the results, especially if MK and the holding company reach an agreement to silently part ways. Then this thread will wind down, and there will be some calm before someone's next foolish endeavor (e.g., Dreamcast 2 Ultra) or inane auction (Air Raid, ultra rare double PVC purple edition).

As for what MK does next, who knows. Will it draw the same level of attention?

So, when will the 7-day period end?

I'm really starting to think that both *Coleco* and Mike will let this thing die as silently as possible. I don't think we'll have news about the inspection at all. Both parties have a lot to lose with this scandal, the thing already is out of control.

I never saw a ship sinking so slowly

• Like 1

Just when I thought this thread was cooling down. Just went I thought things had run their course. Another megaton hits. Wow, just wow.

I almost feel kinda sad for these people. In their attempt to create a new business they destroyed their old business and forever tarnished their personal reps. Sad indeed.

I'm also expecting AA server overload on day 7, aka "review day." I'll be here. My popcorn is ready.

• Like 4

I just discovered that the user Janus, who had been trolling in this thread (including repeatedly calling people here "haters") until I finally kicked "her" out, is actually Mark Kaminski, who works for RETRO Magazine. Janus had a previous account by the name Mr Retro, although he hasn't used that one since last September. In this interview with Mike Kennedy and Mark Kaminski, Mike Kennedy states about Mark:

You can look at Janus' posting history here. Here are some select quotes from him:

And so on..

Mark is now posting on the Digital Press forum using the same Janus persona. Here's the text of the post I just linked:

..Al

Re-reading that gives me a headache....

We need an artist but otherwise there's plenty of material to turn this into one. Oh wait I have an idea, let's launch an IGG campaign to fund the salaries for the whole team for a year! :)

i could do that if that would be made in anime/manga style haha

• Like 2

FTFY

[all likes] - [fake likes] - [people who just liked it for the lulz] - [people who don't want to spend money on vaporware] = number of real backers

It's probably more than zero but probably less than what would be needed to get this going.

It's the empty set, or the total is probably an imaginary number...

Thanks! Yep, it explains why it's so hard to find a post where Mike explicitly says the molds "paid for themselves." He knows it's not true.

It's very hard, indeed. As far as I know the following podcast, which I listed earlier in the thread, is the only place he talks about it.

He does so from 00:10:00 to about 00:10:30: http://theretroleague.com/2015/05/30/interview-retro-vgs/

But even then, the language is dicey ("me" and "we"):

"And then we ended up selling almost ten grand of products; translucent Jaguar cases and cartridge cases to Atari collectors that have been wanting a translucent Jag for years and years and years. And so, we kind of scratched that itch over there. Basically, that helped me pay for the molds. It paid to ship them down here [~$1000]. It paid to set all of the tools up, which were a few hundred dollars per tool. They've essentially paid for themselves already and we haven't [chuckle] used them for their intended purpose yet."

Translucent shells were $45 and carts $8, including delivery.

• Like 4

The ColecoVision Flashback didn't sell well enough, so I don't expect AtGames to make any more Coleco branded products.

The mini- arcade units with a Raspberry Pi and lcd screen are a great idea. The only problem is that a Raspberry pi is way too expensive for manufacturing and distributing and then making a profit. To get a Raspberry Pi with a power supply costs more than the entire ColecoVision Flashback.

AtGames (or some other company) couldn't use a Raspberry Pi, they would need to make there own board in China for a fraction of the $35 cost of a Pi. And given the lackluster sales of the ColecoVision Flashback, they will probably decide not to make any more Coleco products.

However, for someone on Atariage to sell mini-acrade Raspberry Pi units is a great idea. They could either be finished units, or kits you make yourself. You could print out a Coleco logo, or a Pac Man logo, or whatever you wanted. Its technically copyright infringement to do that, but you would never be sued over such a home made kit.

I built one of these. A bit spendy but well worth it.

http://www.retrobuiltgames.com/diy-kits-shop/porta-pi-arcade-wood-kit-hd/

My personal Porta Pi with ebony wood stain:

raspberry_pi_arcade__dk_playing_dk_by_st

http://stardust4ever.deviantart.com/art/Raspberry-Pi-Arcade-DK-playing-DK-535882030

So, when will the 7-day period end?

I'm really starting to think that both *Coleco* and Mike will let this thing die as silently as possible. I don't think we'll have news about the inspection at all. Both parties have a lot to lose with this scandal, the thing already is out of control.

I never saw a ship sinking so slowly

Oh, show a little more imagination. This story hasn't let us down yet, so why would it stop now?

Comedy version (happy ending)

On the 7th day, Nintendo's settlement deadline agreement over RVGS's fraudulent use of the Super Nintendo as a COLECO product expires. Neither Retro VGS nor COLECO have the money to go to court, so they make a deal that Nintendo gets their assets. Donkey Kong and Coleco are under one roof at long last, which is what everyone wanted. Mike and COLECO live another day but are shamed into not pulling a thing like this ever again.

Tragedy version

COLECO stands up for their fraud and this nonsense continues.

• Like 3

I did get Retro Issue #10 in PDF format, and some people reported people saying they did get the physical issue in the mail. But even though it sounds like #11 is mostly done I won't be shocked if it never comes out. The mag is done. And I expect Game Gavel to either be sold to someone or just quietly die.

As for Albert and the troll, good job! He hasn't answered yet how he found out, but I'm guessing he looked at IP's.

• Like 6

I just noticed on "the team" page:

"Mike will also utilize his over 25 year career in factory automation and lean manufacturing to oversee the production of the COLECO Chameleon."

so far it sure has been an hell of an oversight I grant him that.

[yes I am playing with words, as for playing with the CC I already have a SNES Mini so I'm set]

• Like 2

i could do that if that would be made in anime/manga style haha

For a VN I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Plot idea: you are this hopeful early 20s guy in college obsessed with retro games that has an amazing find from a shady merchant and decides to build a console empire out of it. Your choices throughout will determine how things pan out and whether you find fortune, love, both, or none...

The game and charaters around you has to lead you to believe some... not so good ideas are brilliant. And at least every other choice has to have an option completely stupid to troll the game. But plot twist it's sometimes the right answer.

Online discussions modeled after Phoenix Wright with AA going "Objection!" every time you make a claim. Judge is the clueless general public and your defense attorney is an idiot who mostly will say what you tell them or make up some unbelievable bullshit you can't deny or you'll automatically lose.

Plot twist is that no ending makes you rich. The best you get is a comfortable little niche where people overall buy your stuff alhough there's always some minor hater groups around.

Love interest are a couple of girls into hardware that make you think (in your delusions) they'll fullfill all your dreams but reality is not so great with sad backstories. Also an older woman who is all for quiet life and if you follow that route you'll retire with a simple neighborhood retro shop. For completeness throw in a marketing lady more interested in partying than selling anything and a nurse that just happened to be around when your first prototype blew in your face and you had to be hospitalized.

Obviously it also has to have one beach episode towards the end.

:D

• Like 2

I just discovered that the user Janus, who had been trolling in this thread (including repeatedly calling people here "haters") until I finally kicked "her" out, is actually Mark Kaminski, who works for RETRO Magazine. Janus had a previous account by the name Mr Retro, although he hasn't used that one since last September. In this interview with Mike Kennedy and Mark Kaminski, Mike Kennedy states about Mark:

You can look at Janus' posting history here. Here are some select quotes from him:

And so on..

Mark is now posting on the Digital Press forum using the same Janus persona. Here's the text of the post I just linked:

..Al

oh... oh this thread.

t3evzz4gbm7gql9u3x2t.gif

• Like 10

Personally I believe Coleco wanted to get into this project because they knew it wasn't going to be successful, and wanted to get the name Coleco visually out again for the cheap.

Also have more faith that Namico which already has a partnership with Nintendo or SDK will release official Mini arcades sometime in the future that hold up to what we expect then Coleco

I think Coleco is hoping MK will miss the deadline and they won't have to go to the expense and trouble of having to find the "top men".

As far as MK and his shell-game approach to recouping his cost for purchasing the molds, well he can sing a song like this : "It's my money and I'll take what I want to, take what I want to, take what I want to. You would take it to if it was coming to you!" When someone tries to piece his LLCs and uses conduct like making personal (interest free) loans to the LLCs you exclusively control, he may be singing a different tune.

• Like 2

I Know this has probably been posted before but has anybody seen this?

He says he was supposed to film the Kickstarter campaign video, but backed out because of MK's fishy shenanigans..

Sorry... I have no idea how to embed a video on here, or anywhere otherwise lol.

Edited by Natimus