IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Whose underpants?

I highly doubt this. I think you're giving him far too much credit for having any sort of idea what he's doing.

At best, he might have one of these:

attachicon.gif160-in-1-kit-small.jpg

I got one of those when I was around 10 years old. In fact I think I still have one around here. Man I loved making stuff on that thing.

• Like 4

Whose underpants?

Mike's Dirty Diaper. Apparently he's into that stuff...

I highly doubt this. I think you're giving him far too much credit for having any sort of idea what he's doing.

At best, he might have one of these:

attachicon.gif160-in-1-kit-small.jpg

I had one of those as a kid. Lotta fun plugging circuits up and seeing them work. Then I had even more fun as a teenager blowing up the transistors and caps.

He won't. I don't think that he actually believes that he lied. It's all justifiable somehow - a proof-of-concept, a prototype, a mock-up for a photo shoot, whatever. It all makes perfect sense to him - everything that he's done, every step of the way.

He's so full of himself and been lying for so long, he believes his own lies. That's what happens to pathological liars. After all, Mike is like a poor kid who loves his own farts. You shit the bed often enough, you tend not to notice anymore when you're lying in it.

• Like 1

I plan on it. Here's hoping the Retro Pie 3.0 image works with it. :D :thumbsup:

It should. Worst case it only takes advantage of the rasp pi 2b specs.

I manage a couple digital sign installations at a few of my restaurants and I remember going from original rasp pi to the 2b version and it ran same speed until they updated image to take advantage of 4 cores. The software works on the 3 but doesn't support the new wifi just yet but an updated image is around the corner.

Pro tip... Fits in a jaguar case, supports USB controllers, has games, and the power LED actually works!

• Like 2

Remember, THIS IS JUST THE DATE FOR RETRO VGS TO TURN THE PROTOTYPES OVER TO COLECO.

There will be days of rigorous inspection and testing/validation of their Capture card to ensure whether or not it plays games, and the SNES to see if it is indeed an FPGA system.

In other words, no word till at least Friday, a couple of minutes after they open the boxes, IF MK supplies them.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

Remember, THIS IS JUST THE DATE FOR RETRO VGS TO TURN THE PROTOTYPES OVER TO COLECO.

There will be days of rigorous inspection and testing/validation of their Capture card to ensure whether or not it plays games, and the SNES to see if it is indeed an FPGA system.

In other words, no word till at least Friday, a couple of minutes after they open the boxes, IF MK supplies them.

Let's just be honest here... He will send them a box containing a turbografx 16 controller plugged into a dog turd. Somehow it will have hdmi out though.

It should. Worst case it only takes advantage of the rasp pi 2b specs.

I manage a couple digital sign installations at a few of my restaurants and I remember going from original rasp pi to the 2b version and it ran same speed until they updated image to take advantage of 4 cores. The software works on the 3 but doesn't support the new wifi just yet but an updated image is around the corner.

Pro tip... Fits in a jaguar case, supports USB controllers, has games, and the power LED actually works!

And outputs both composite and HDMI. :cool:

• Like 1

Wondering if someone could build this project (Coleco Chameleon) with a Snickerdoodle + Atari Jaguar shell + Retrode 2

+ a little love in costuming the case and making a back end

http://makezine.com/2015/10/12/snickerdoodle-dev-board-fpga-arm-processor/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-new-White-Plastic-Console-Replacement-Covers-/110804896487

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/71-retrode-2-retrode-4260416650091.html

Edited by enoofu

Given the fact the Mini arcades are 10,000% more likely to see the light of day compared to the Chameleon, I'm actually somewhat excited about them. I just wish they could reissue Donkey Kong, but due to the iron fist of Nintendo, is unlikely to happen.

10,000% of zero is still zero :P I surely hope the chances are a bit higher than that :roll:

• Like 4

Wouldn't say 0, doubt Nintendo would have any dealings with this Coleco in its current form.

Since they aren't Japanese, and would probably license it out to a 3rd party.

But their is a chance that Hasbro could be able to reissue the past cabinets with permission from Nintendo

Nintendo and Bandi Namco are Arcade partners and do license properties back and forth so its possible that Namco could release Nintendo Donkey Kong Mini Cab

Edited by enoofu

Neither, because it's the game that is important.

I can look beyond my specific circumstance at this point in time. I've had a lot of game machines, some of which I've kept, many of which I have let go. There will always be more games to play than time to enjoy them. I don't feel the need to get overly hung up on game "stuff" any more than I hoard newspapers as if I'll read them someday.

I agree the game is what is important. I'm struggling to see what you are trying to dubuff here about my claim that if the Brown Box still functions almost 50 years later then surely a console/carts created today with modern technology and high quality parts could also last quite awhile. There is nothing hoarding newspapers about that. The reason one would see it as important for a console/carts to function for a long time is because it is the game that is important. Consoles/carts that cease to function can't be used to do the important thing of playing the games.

The game is the important thing, and it will survive whether or not it exists on a cartridge, paid digital download, or ROM distributed against the wishes and copyright of Nintendo.

You asked if any CC games look worthy of preserving on carts. I jokingly said Super Mario World because the SNES is all it is. Your question seems to have no right answer. If it isn't worthy of being preserved on carts then it shouldn't be put on carts and if it is worthy of preserving on carts it still shouldn't be on them because it can be preserved somewhere else. I think games should be preserved everywhere.

I have zero problem with giving Nintendo the price of a nice beer every five years so I can play my favorite games in a different format that is convenient to me. I still have the SNES cartridge, the equivalent of a vinyl record album that I can't take on the road.

I have no problem with you having zero problems with that but I'm not talking about your convenience of playing games on your New 3DS. I'm talking about how convenient it is for me to still be able to put Super Mario World into an SNES while both still functioning. Functioning is more convenient than broken.

TL;DR Cartridges are stupid and getting hung up on "ownership" is a losing game. Pay for software you like, even if you've "already bought it before."

On average I have probably spent the price of a nice beer for each of my cartridges. On the higher end it is probably something like the final price after many cycles of paying with good beers over and over but instead of spreading it out it is in one lump sum. The idea of replacing my entire library with some of it because it isn't all available for buying digitally by buying what is available over and over while also having to buy new hardware from multiple sources sounds as inconvenient to me as it would to you if I claimed to sell all of my consoles/cartridges just to replace them every five years with the same consoles/cartridges. I'm not poor enough that emulation only is my only option but I'm also not rich enough for paying for a less convenient version of basically the same thing over and over. What is convenient for me is buying a game once and thinking something like,"Okay, I got that ability to play Super Mario World issue settled and done with." because to me ownership is a winning game. "Pay for software you like, even if you've "already bought it before." is a foreign inconvenient concept to me that I don't think I could even afford to do. My way of thinking is,"Pay for software I like and try to make sure that a corporation doesn't put me into a position where it becomes absolutely necessary to buy it again as if I'm just renting the game." Hence, why I value high quality gaming hardware that is designed to last.

As a side note, paying for something like Super Mario World for the New 3DS separately from the rest of the SNES library seems similar to me as Mike wanting to sell separate compilation carts. It seems like basically the same idea of milking retro gamers for every penny they have. It would make much more sense to just sale all of the SNES games that Nintendo produced in one compilation. It would make even more sense if it wasn't just all their SNES games but their NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, etc. games in one bundle. It would make even more sense than that if they did that every retro Nintendo game bundle but for free.

Nintendo may not like it but they are competing against free with emulators. So, it would make a lot of sense for them to offer all their retro games for free on the New 3DS and then focus their sales on new games which people would have more money for if they weren't purchasing again games that they already bought from Nintendo. That would provide a high demand for those who prefer emulation, lower the demand of people emulating them on other devices, and also get the people that like the convenience of emulation but don't commit copyright infringement out of principle. In other words, they could make it like an all-in-one Nintendo Flashback that also has the New 3DS games for sale. I bet anyone sitting on the fence would buy one with that kind of deal.

I think it would make even more sense with the struggling Wii U. Imagine if every Nintendo produced game for consoles from the NES to the Game Cube(including titles they released only in other regions) were all downloadable for free in the Virtual Console. Then on the hand held side, it also had the same from Game Boy to Game Boy Advance. You would be able to play all of the Nintendo produced retro games on the Wii U for free. And I'm talking fully pimped out like an emulator frontend with box art, history of the games, reading through the original manuals on their touch screen controller, reading Nintendo Power, old strategy guides, etc. the same way. Then they could still have third parties sell their virtual console games and sell the Wii U games but everything retro produced from Nintendo would be there for free like some ultra retro Nintendo complication pack-in. I bet the Wii U sales would take off if Nintendo announced doing something like that.

They should be using their retro back catalog as pack-in to sale consoles/hand helds to get people there and focus on only selling the new games. I would consider that the convenient way to go about it but this buying things over and over again separately while free emulation and other methods of playing them exists is a Mikeism.

• Like 3

Lon Seidman touches on the CC in his latest video. Skip ahead to the 10 minute mark. Its nothing new, just a recap but posted it for those interested. He's got a great tech channel IMO.

Wow, what a glowing review of AA; he practically gushes. Thanks, Lon!

For example (emphasis, mine):

"Part of the reason everything [with the RVGS] got exposed back then was because the AtariAge forum was on top of this ... and did a real journalistic role in keeping everyone honest there."

Very kind words, and that was just the beginning of his talk about AA.

• Like 7

I agree the game is what is important. I'm struggling to see what you are trying to dubuff here about my claim that if the Brown Box still functions almost 50 years later then surely a console/carts created today with modern technology and high quality parts could also last quite awhile. There is nothing hoarding newspapers about that. The reason one would see it as important for a console/carts to function for a long time is because it is the game that is important. Consoles/carts that cease to function can't be used to do the important thing of playing the games.

You asked if any CC games look worthy of preserving on carts. I jokingly said Super Mario World because the SNES is all it is. Your question seems to have no right answer. If it isn't worthy of being preserved on carts then it shouldn't be put on carts and if it is worthy of preserving on carts it still shouldn't be on them because it can be preserved somewhere else. I think games should be preserved everywhere.

I have no problem with you having zero problems with that but I'm not talking about your convenience of playing games on your New 3DS. I'm talking about how convenient it is for me to still be able to put Super Mario World into an SNES while both still functioning. Functioning is more convenient than broken.

On average I have probably spent the price of a nice beer for each of my cartridges. On the higher end it is probably something like the final price after many cycles of paying with good beers over and over but instead of spreading it out it is in one lump sum. The idea of replacing my entire library with some of it because it isn't all available for buying digitally by buying what is available over and over while also having to buy new hardware from multiple sources sounds as inconvenient to me as it would to you if I claimed to sell all of my consoles/cartridges just to replace them every five years with the same consoles/cartridges. I'm not poor enough that emulation only is my only option but I'm also not rich enough for paying for a less convenient version of basically the same thing over and over. What is convenient for me is buying a game once and thinking something like,"Okay, I got that ability to play Super Mario World issue settled and done with." because to me ownership is a winning game. "Pay for software you like, even if you've "already bought it before." is a foreign inconvenient concept to me that I don't think I could even afford to do. My way of thinking is,"Pay for software I like and try to make sure that a corporation doesn't put me into a position where it becomes absolutely necessary to buy it again as if I'm just renting the game." Hence, why I value high quality gaming hardware that is designed to last.

As a side note, paying for something like Super Mario World for the New 3DS separately from the rest of the SNES library seems similar to me as Mike wanting to sell separate compilation carts. It seems like basically the same idea of milking retro gamers for every penny they have. It would make much more sense to just sale all of the SNES games that Nintendo produced in one compilation. It would make even more sense if it wasn't just all their SNES games but their NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, etc. games in one bundle. It would make even more sense than that if they did that every retro Nintendo game bundle but for free.

Nintendo may not like it but they are competing against free with emulators. So, it would make a lot of sense for them to offer all their retro games for free on the New 3DS and then focus their sales on new games which people would have more money for if they weren't purchasing again games that they already bought from Nintendo. That would provide a high demand for those who prefer emulation, lower the demand of people emulating them on other devices, and also get the people that like the convenience of emulation but don't commit copyright infringement out of principle. In other words, they could make it like an all-in-one Nintendo Flashback that also has the New 3DS games for sale. I bet anyone sitting on the fence would buy one with that kind of deal.

I think it would make even more sense with the struggling Wii U. Imagine if every Nintendo produced game for consoles from the NES to the Game Cube(including titles they released only in other regions) were all downloadable for free in the Virtual Console. Then on the hand held side, it also had the same from Game Boy to Game Boy Advance. You would be able to play all of the Nintendo produced retro games on the Wii U for free. And I'm talking fully pimped out like an emulator frontend with box art, history of the games, readying through the original manuals on their touch screen controller, reading Nintendo Power, old strategy guides, etc. the same way. Then they could still have third parties sell their virtual console games and sell the Wii U games but everything retro produced from Nintendo would be there for free like some ultra retro Nintendo complication pack-in. I bet the Wii U sales would take off if Nintendo announced doing something like that.

They should be using their retro back catalog as pack-in to sale consoles/hand helds to get people there and focus on only selling the new games. I would consider that the convenient way to go about it but this buying things over and over again separately while free emulation and other methods of playing them exists is a Mikeism.

In this day and age when original carts are selling for major moolah, Nintendo is not gonna fork over their assets for peanuts. If you want games for "peanuts", get an Everdrive and load it with ROMs...

Otherwise, collect. Like Flojo, I too have a pretty big "collection" of purchased game ROMs on my 3DS and Wii-U all legit and licensed by Ninendo, although I still like to play them on carts when it's convenient to do so...

I SUPPORT RETRO... :D

I can't believe I'm completely caught up on this thread. Love the Janus revelation. Can't wait for Friday and Coleco's deadline. Also, I'd like to thank this thread for turning me onto mini MAME cabs. I ordered a nano-sized MAME kit because of it.

• Like 3

I still remember doing the crystal radio project where you had to wrap a wire around the drain pipe on your kitchen sink.

Who knew I was topping Mike Kennedy at age 8!

Way more complicated than a SNES in a box!

I still have my 50-in-1 somewhere, it's easily over 30 years old and aside from burned out light bulbs, they worked last used. I couldn't get that drain pipe radio to work before. It turns out plastic drain pipe don't make good antenna but what the heck did I know back in the day?

f2MgWsr.jpg

I also have a 300-in-1 somewhere. That one might have made a more convicning fake Coleco proto :D

• Like 2

Lon Seidman touches on the CC in his latest video. Skip ahead to the 10 minute mark. Its nothing new, just a recap but posted it for those interested. He's got a great tech channel IMO.

There are some who kinda tip-toe around it, but Lon is not at all hesitant in labeling this whole fiasco as a "blatant fraud". Which is exactly what it is.

And I agree, his tech channel is awesome. v99tEAu.gif

Edited by Thierry Henry
  • Like 6