IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Darth Mike: *heavy breathing* the console, how's the console...

Emperor: i'm afraid to say, the Coleco Chameleon is dead...
Darth Mike: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

... and I'm sure we all know who Mike will blame for that ...

haters.jpg

"HATERRRRRRRRRS!!!"

• Like 8

Engadget has updated its original story with what we knew along: Atari never agreed to any of this, and Engadget was wrong to run with it.

Update (3/8/2016): We've received the following statement from

Todd Shallbetter, COO of Atari:

Atari does not have, and never has had an agreement with RetroVGS to release Atari 2600 games on their product.

• Like 22

Could just rename this thread and let it run it's course in the coming days or weeks.

I'm not going to screw with this thread for now, it's been linked from about a million places across the web. Maybe in a few days I'll start a new thread.

..Al

• Like 11

A handful of things I will always remember about the Retro VGS / Coleco Chameleon story, in no particular order:

1) Me finally joining Atari Age

2) Discovering the CU Podcast, along with lots of other good YouTube stuff from the members here

3) SNEZZZZZ

4) Power goes in, video comes out

5) An SNES mini doesn't quite fit into a Jaguar shell, but a DVR capture card does

I'm not gonna lie, I kind of want to have something tangible to celebrate this whole saga. Maybe it's finally time for me to own a Jaguar. Or, at the very least, buy one of those white shells that is still available on eBay.

• Like 14

"has the ability play"

"standards set by the "original" COLCEO"

Based on the care given to the scant information presented thus far, I speculate that the newly renamed RetroVGS hardware will be a fire hazard, when it works at all.

Just remember, you heard it here first.

• Like 3

Man I'm really sad this is over. I only registered here a day or two because of this thread. What do I do now. I don't collect, play or make retro games. I just read and watch videos about them (yes I'm strange).

Mike Kennedy gave my life purpose and now it's gone. That is the true cost of his shenanigans. I'm going to go sit in a dark room and listen to Send In The Clowns on repeat, there will be an occasional smile but there will be many tears I'm sure.

• Like 10

Wow. It really does feel like this ride is coming to an end!

JCYkCN.gif

Now we just need to find Mike hiding in a hole with a hobo beard he grew.

Yeah but does ridding the retro scene of these guys create a vacuum of power in the retro community to be taken up by someone who could arguably be more insidious?

(that's a joke, of course we wont. And I couldn't resist. I hope it's not too political)

Edited by horseradish

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/8/11180670/coleco-chameleon-terminated-retrovgs-closed-down

"Thomann said engineers contacted by a River West representative examined the console "and we weren't satisfied with it.""

"We thought it would be an originally developed console, and the indications were that it just wasn't."

Sounds like they did provide them with something and I'm not gonna lie, I'm very curious as to what they gave them.

My guess is either some sort of off the shelf board, or a rainbow painted rock in a Jag shell.

I cant see them handing in the snes-in-a-jag proto but I still cant help but laugh when I picture that.

• Like 12

Engadget has updated its original story with what we knew along: Atari never agreed to any of this, and Engadget was wrong to run with it.

I think deep down we all knew this, just like we all know there was a SNES inside a Jag shell at the fair, but the question really is: Why? Why would Mike Kennedy lie about having support for games that he doesn't have? Didn't he think ANY of this would catch up with him at some point? Lying about FPGAs. Lying about developer support. Lying about prototypes. How did he expect to actually get money from people? All of this evidence lends itself more and more to scam than Mike being an innocent patsy duped by various hardware guys.

One last blast of visitors before the end:

post-13-0-95215700-1457469047.png

I saw it hit 371 a couple hours ago. Pretty good for a weekday.

• Like 5

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/8/11180670/coleco-chameleon-terminated-retrovgs-closed-down

"Thomann said engineers contacted by a River West representative examined the console "and we weren't satisfied with it.""

"We thought it would be an originally developed console, and the indications were that it just wasn't."

Sounds like they did provide them with something and I'm not gonna lie, I'm very curious as to what they gave them.

My guess is either some sort of off the shelf board, or a rainbow painted rock in a Jag shell.

I cant see them handing in the snes-in-a-jag proto but I still cant help but laugh when I picture that.

My guess too.

THE SAGA ISN'T OVER YET!!!

Also:

Coleco severs ties with alleged 'duct-taped' console maker

*sigh* can't big media get ANYTHING right!??! It was electrical tape!!!

• Like 17

Does anyone else have visions of Chris Cardillo and Mike Kennedy doing Monty Python's Dead Parrot(head) sketch going through their mind?

Perhaps it's just me ... but I bet that they could actually earn a lot of money for charity if they both agreed to do a YouTube video of that!

• Like 5

Also: Coleco severs ties with alleged 'duct-taped' console maker

I think they were quoting a tweet by Frank Cifaldi (which was pictured in the article): "Evidence suggests the new Coleco prototype at Toy Fair might literally be a SNES Jr. duct-taped into a Jaguar shell."

The wording is interesting here:

"It just wasn't what we had thought it would be," Mark Thomann, River West's CEO and Coleco's owner, told Polygon. "We thought it would be an originally developed console, and the indications were that it just wasn't."

Thomann said engineers contacted by a River West representative examined the console "and we weren't satisfied with it."

But, "We're going to continue looking for someone who can develop a unique, original console that is the real deal" Thomann said.

I do wonder what Mike ultimately ended up showing them. It sounds like it could have been anything.

• Like 6

Why would Mike Kennedy lie about having support for games that he doesn't have? Didn't he think ANY of this would catch up with him at some point?

According to Chris Cardillo:

http://colecovisionspodcast.blogspot.ca/2016/03/minisode-2-q-and-with-chris-cardillo-of.html

39:17 "Atari was at the show, and Atari was talking about games. Atari saw the Jaguar shell, they weren't pissed they said, which is kind of cool."

I can just picture Mike spinning the fact that someone from Atari said "hey, a Jaguar, cool, we should have some games on that" into "We have licensed the whole 2600 library. I don't think he does think at those times, he's too busy selling the hell out of it!

You expect them to do stuff like go to primary sources when there are perfectly good inaccurate Tweets floating around?

• Like 5

Wow, why would he leak private communications like that? To brag? Doesn't he realize that every time he brags it just comes back to bite him in the ass?

Not that it matters now because his ass has been chewed to the point of non-existence.

Mike released confidential e-mails with Mr. Rajne in what can only be described as a retaliation move at me.

Sadly, he was attacking the wrong direction.

• Like 15

You expect them to do stuff like go to primary sources when there are perfectly good inaccurate Tweets floating around?

A big problem with this whole deal, particularly when the COLECO branding became part of the story was the inability of the various media outlets to use primary sources or do anything but just regurgitate Mike's crummy press releases.

• Like 8

I think deep down we all knew this, just like we all know there was a SNES inside a Jag shell at the fair, but the question really is: Why? Why would Mike Kennedy lie about having support for games that he doesn't have? Didn't he think ANY of this would catch up with him at some point? Lying about FPGAs. Lying about developer support. Lying about prototypes. How did he expect to actually get money from people? All of this evidence lends itself more and more to scam than Mike being an innocent patsy duped by various hardware guys.

I saw it hit 371 a couple hours ago. Pretty good for a weekday.

Cause Mike is unprofessional, plus I don't think he actually believes he is lying

Would takes years to program all the features he wanted just on the software side, especially all the Cores he promised.

Hardware platform should of been easy to do since it mainly just a SOC with a ARM/FGPA with HDMI and USB ports and a cartiage slot

• Like 2

Cause Mike is unprofessional, plus I don't think he actually believes he is lying

Would takes years to program all the features he wanted just on the software side, especially all the Cores he promised.

Hardware platform should of been easy to do since it mainly just a SOC with a ARM/FGPA with HDMI and USB ports and a cartiage slot

Mike actually accomplished something extraordinary, though: at every single step in this entire process, through every iteration of this project, he somehow found a way to do everything completely and totally wrong. That has to be some kind of record.

• Like 17