IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Retro issue #11 either comes out summer 2016 or never I bet. What a downfall for Mike.

I backed the first year Kickstarter but not the second. I just logged into my digital download page for Retro magazine and noticed I have access to all 10 issues. The covers are nice even though I don't care much for the content and even less for the publisher ... but if you want to get your digital issues, now is probably a good time to grab them.

I backed the first year Kickstarter but not the second. I just logged into my digital download page for Retro magazine and noticed I have access to all 10 issues. The covers are nice even though I don't care much for the content and even less for the publisher ... but if you want to get your digital issues, now is probably a good time to grab them.

What is the link to get them? I do have a digital subscription alongside my print one.

Perhaps he did have some talented hardware developers at the end of 2015, who for some reason dropped out, got very ill or worse (!) over New Year. It may have left him with empty shells and nothing to show, and rather than explaining it to Coleco and the world, he tried to keep up the facade as long as possible?

If that were the case then he should've said something.

As several in this topic have stated, this saga would've played out a whole lot differently if he just asked for money to kickstart a prototype and didn't pretend to have one.

• Like 6

http://readretro.com/digitalissues/

YMMV, I can't remember if I paid for them or not ... but I have them

Okay got it. There was another link shopreadretro.com where I tried to log in with both my emails to no avail, and reset password didn't work. Tried your link and got in the first time. I'm gonna archive all ten issues on my PC since there likely won't be more... :roll:

If Mike had any guts, he'd buy a bottle of Jack and down the whole 40 like a man while writing an apology for all of his now beyond confirmed lies. If he's at all remorseful about this (hah, he'll do it because he feels sorry for himself like a certain other guy), he may as well start his own healing process now rather than later.

Stay away from video. Phony video apologies are even worse than written ones. His colleagues inevitably found that out.

• Like 5

"Cornering the Market on RETRO Gaming"

Yah..ok.. even that speaks of a big ego. No one single entity can "corner" the retrogaming market. It's too big and too diverse.

Maybe me and my box of emulators could, but even then it's a mighty beast!!!!!

Mike's ego, thinking Game Gavel would take on Ebay for the retro market, maybe.

I am the last person that wants to see another US based gaming magazine bite the dust, but after everything that has gone down....I am not sure I can even point my members to the subscription page at RETRO without feeling dirty.

Unless we talk of a brain damage writer or someone that (god knows why) believes in Mike, you wont see anyone trying to be recognized as a writer in the gaming industry getting involved in that magazine, fairly sure is going under.

As for the captions, here you go

10ic2z.jpg

• Like 11

Damn it. Cant believe this wild ride is over.

Someone please put a fake Air Raid cart on ebay! I

If so, I hope it will be someone else. I was joking earlier. This CC fiasco is one thing, but that last fake Air Raid auction was messed up in a creepy way....

Perhaps he did have some talented hardware developers at the end of 2015, who for some reason dropped out, got very ill or worse (!) over New Year. It may have left him with empty shells and nothing to show, and rather than explaining it to Coleco and the world, he tried to keep up the facade as long as possible?

Guessing IF he had some hardware guy worth his salt, he started asking for money in exchange for his work. And when that didn't happen, he bailed. I don't know if this is true or not, but that's what I would've done.

• Like 12

Okay got it. There was another link shopreadretro.com where I tried to log in with both my emails to no avail, and reset password didn't work. Tried your link and got in the first time. I'm gonna archive all ten issues on my PC since there likely won't be more... :roll:

Yes, the main website uses a different account than the digital fulfillment page.
  • Like 1

Mike actually accomplished something extraordinary, though: at every single step in this entire process, through every iteration of this project, he somehow found a way to do everything completely and totally wrong. That has to be some kind of record.

That is amazing. Even a blind squirrel finds the acorn now and then, and even the most challenged learns something by osmosis alone and stumbles on the right thing.

• Like 1

That is amazing. Even a blind squirrel finds the acorn now and then, and even the most challenged learns something by osmosis alone and stumbles on the right thing.

Give them some credit, they did manage to get the word out far and wide, well in advance of when they were supposed to deliver.

Prototype work in progress. Maybe that is what is taking so long....3rd degree burns.

Heh ... either that or they didn't know they were supposed to PLUG IN the soldering iron (she does seem puzzled that nothing is melting). I can see that making "Mr. Li's" prototype late for Toy Fair.

Prototype work in progress. Maybe that is what is taking so long....3rd degree burns.

attachicon.gifstock-photo-beautiful-woman-repair-soldering-a-printed-circuit-board-204001492.jpg

Heh, saw three different people doing that in stock photos today on Reddit.

Honestly I didn't catch it first, then did a double take. She's holding it like a danged pencil. Anyone who's ever touched a soldering iron (haven't we all at some point?) knows that thing ain't plugged in. :roll:

• Like 1

Are you sure you can download them all though? I only backed year 1 too and I see all 10 issues there as well but can only download the first six.

Just so you guys know, the Facebook page is probably "unpublished" right now. Why? Mike probably has to remove all mention of Coleco from the Facebook page and the easiest way to do that at your leisure would be to unpublish the page. This leaves Mike with the "likes" when he republishes the page, at least I believe so.

It is very likely that Mike will be back with something else. Maybe he got one of those "Under new management" banners you see outside of ailing businesses. I am not privy to that information. I did contact him (probably went straight to his trash bin) in relation to purchasing RETRO Mag from him. As you all know, I co-own Retro Gaming Magazine- a competitor to Mike's product. Removing any chance of truth to rumors that I could be forced to change the name of my site would rather nice in my eyes.

This saga is far from over though. If you listen carefully, you can almost hear Mike thinking up a new plan.

• Like 12

I also highly recommend you get the "Getting Started in Electronics" book by Forrest M. Mims III.

Thanks for posting this. I was looking for a nice entry level book on electronics to make more sense of FPGA code. As a "CPU" programmer I get the language itself and how it roughly translates to a virtual breadboard, but I feel one also needs a solid understanding of electronics to do anything useful. Edited by Newsdee

Just so you guys know, the Facebook page is probably "unpublished" right now. Why? Mike probably has to remove all mention of Coleco from the Facebook page and the easiest way to do that at your leisure would be to unpublish the page. This leaves Mike with the "likes" when he republishes the page, at least I believe so.

It is very likely that Mike will be back with something else. Maybe he got one of those "Under new management" banners you see outside of ailing businesses. I am not privy to that information. I did contact him (probably went straight to his trash bin) in relation to purchasing RETRO Mag from him. As you all know, I co-own Retro Gaming Magazine- a competitor to Mike's product. Removing any chance of truth to rumors that I could be forced to change the name of my site would rather nice in my eyes.

This saga is far from over though. If you listen carefully, you can almost hear Mike thinking up a new plan.

I'm amazed the name of @RetroVGS hasn't changed it still says Coleco Chameleon on twitter

Also that's probably why the retrovgs website is down, he is scrubbing it of all things Coleco

Edited by MagnaRyuu