IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I'm starting to wonder if Kevin Bow is a shill account. His only Facebook friend I can see is Gamestr81 and he's "liked" Retro Magazine.

I don't think so, I think he's a legitimate fan.

We were wondering about him in the old thread, though.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/page-161?hl=%26quot%3Bkevin+bow%26quot%3B&do=findComment&comment=3353412

I don't think so, I think he's a legitimate fan.

We were wondering about him in the old thread, though.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/page-161?hl=%26quot%3Bkevin+bow%26quot%3B&do=findComment&comment=3353412

We concluded that Kevin Bow was real a few weeks back. It's tempting to be suspicious after Mark Kaminski was posting on here as Janus, but he probably is just a true believer.

• Like 4

We concluded that Kevin Bow wasn't Mike. But now that we know that Mark Kaminski was posting on here as Janus, would it make sense for Mark to have set up a shill account on Facebook too? How do Janus's posts compare to Kevin's?

Yeah since the Janus thing I'm a little more suspicious about someone with that much blind faith in a product that never actually existed.

• Like 7

LOL:

post-39941-0-96138900-1457541443_thumb.png

From the same post, other FBers are really harassing Mr. Bow: https://www.facebook.com/Colecovision-1616402778636687/?fref=nf

Tinfoil edit: What if Mr. Bow and Mr. Lee are the same person--and he is a member of the Hater Brigade?

Tinfoil edit2: And what if Mr. Bow/Lee paid for foreign FB "Likes" en-masse to further buiildup the project so it could fall hard?

Conclusion: Mr. Bow/Lee is the true mastermind, and probably a member of the Illuminati.

Conspiracy theories are fun!

post-39941-0-18754900-1457542187_thumb.png

(note: Not meant to be a commentary on wondering if NB is Janus-like. Just having some fun)

• Like 8

Looking at gamegavel it looks like its mostly dead

Game Gavel is a waste of time. eBay is not perfect, but if you have anywhere better to go to buy and sell your games then I would like to hear it.

Game Gavel currently has zero Xbox One games for sale, and 21 Xbox 360 games for sale.

The only reason to sell on Game Gavel would be if you got lifetime free listings.

If you are looking to get a few percent more for your games, then sell on eBay with good pictures and good descriptions.

Edited by Hannacek
  • Like 4

When the site made the name change from CTCW to GG was when everything went to hell and MK thought he was gonna take on Ebay and Amazon. Even the lifetime free memebers had to add credit card information to their accounts? Why would he need my credit card info if I'm never giving him any money? That seemed pretty shady to me. It was that and MK's egotistical approach of GG not just being an alternative to ebay\amazon but it was going to take them head on that led to me personally no longer using CTCW\GG. It was clear to me back then that the man had more than a few screws loose in key locations of his noggin. That and he was entering sellers accounts and messing about without their knowledge. I can say that for a fact as he did so to my GG account and I caught him red handed doing it. He said sorry but the damage was done. I have no clue how many others he did the same to as I can only attest to my own account mistreating.

I always thought it was shady when Mike would magically win auctions for the few rare items that he convinced people to put up on Gamegavel. I suspect he was able to see exactly what other people bid so he could win every time. There was also the fact that at the height of his promotion of Gamegavel as an Ebay alternative, he listed some of his own rare items on Ebay and refused to explain why he didn't use Gamegavel and yet wanted other people to continue to list their rare items there.

• Like 15

Oops. My previous message wasn't meant to be a commentary on this:

Yeah since the Janus thing I'm a little more suspicious about someone with that much blind faith in a product that never actually existed.

I was on the side of thinking he was a Hater Brigade member having fun sounding like he was a hardcore supporter. I'd never have guessed it would have been someone with RETRO magazine possibly because MK threw either advertising dollars or fake Chameleon shares at him.

I always thought it was shady when Mike would magically win auctions for the few rare items that he convinced people to put up on Gamegavel. I suspect he was able to see exactly what other people bid so he could win every time. There was also the fact that at the height of his promotion of Gamegavel as an Ebay alternative, he listed some of his own rare items on Ebay and refused to explain why he didn't use Gamegavel and yet wanted other people to continue to list their rare items there.

^--Why integrity matters. Maybe he shouldn't have bought anything just so there'd not be that appearance of impropriety? I think it's also why people who stood to make money with RVGS/Chameleon shouldn't have been running around calling others haters, or setting up troll accounts, and so on.

• Like 8

The only reason to sell on Game Gavel would be if you got lifetime free listings.

I have it and I don't sell on Game Gavel. There is no traffic there. I'm going to sell where the traffic is and that's eBay.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Game Gavel was a bad idea. It's just not successful in being competitive to eBay. How many years now that Game Gavel has been online and it seems like now there are less auctions there when compared to 5 years ago.

• Like 3

I hadn't heard of this either. That thread on DP is foreshadowing, and it's from mid-2012:

attachicon.gifdpGameGavel_IGG.PNG

Wow. He needs to hire a PR person. Between this and deleting critical comments and blocking critics he has absolutely no clue on how to speak to customers or potential customers. You win people over through persuasion, not insulting their intelligence.

I understand blocking many trolls, but most critics don't fall under that camp. And the trolls that have pestered him have made valid points.

I hope to never see anything from him again, though. I kind of doubt it, unless he changes his identity.

• Like 9

Game Gavel is a waste of time. eBay is not perfect, but if you have anywhere better to go to buy and sell your games then I would like to hear it.

Game Gavel currently has zero Xbox One games for sale, and 21 Xbox 360 games for sale.

Maybe when GG started, eBay wasn't as good at categorizing games as they are now. They've come a long way, you just can't beat their awesome database of pre-filled information.

eBay currently has 16,334 Xbox One games and 78,240 Xbox 360 games for sale.

There's no good reason to sell on GG. Auctions are all about the network effect, just as game consoles are all about the games. GG had no users, CC had no games.

• Like 5

I note that AtariAge has a link on every oage in its guide to search for the game on eBay and GameGavel. I do not know whether eBay buys the space for what is essentially an ad, AtariAge is part of an Amazon-associates like program, or if it is just provided as a convenience for AtariAge members. Does the same apply to GG? If AtariAge is not selling ad space or receiving any affiliate-type revenue, then perhaps those links should come down given the shadiness and lack of activity related to GG.

• Like 2

These tech sites reporting on this are still awful. Consider the subheading to TechRadar's report:

Coleco Chameleon developer closes up shop, triggers flood of 8-bit tears
By Nick Pino
The Coleco Chameleon has gone the way of the Atari Lynx

Wait, the Chameleon was a real product that had an updated version and in its lifetime sold millions of units?

• Like 11

These tech sites reporting on this are still awful. Consider the subheading to TechRadar's report:

Wait, the Chameleon was a real product that had an updated version and in its lifetime sold millions of units?

Nice reporting there. Even saying that it went the way of the Jaguar would be insulting to the Jaguar. And insulting the Jaguar further is kind of a tough thing to do at this point.

"A real unit showed up at the New York Toy Fair

Well, MK was there...

• Like 10

On a side note when I was listing there MK bought my Atari kids controller and games I had listed. I'm not implying anything wrong just that it is amusing.

• Like 2

Maybe when GG started, eBay wasn't as good at categorizing games as they are now. They've come a long way, you just can't beat their awesome database of pre-filled information.

eBay currently has 16,334 Xbox One games and 78,240 Xbox 360 games for sale.

There's no good reason to sell on GG. Auctions are all about the network effect, just as game consoles are all about the games. GG had no users, CC had no games.

I guess he thought that if he could only get 5% or 10% as big as eBay he would be a millionaire.

But the way the internet works is on hegemonies. Facebook is the single dominant social network. Twitter is the single dominant mico-blogging site, youtube is the single dominant video site, Google is the single dominant search engine. And eBay is the single dominant auction site.

Microsoft has put hundreds of millions of dollars behind their competitor to Google. The only people who use Bing are those at work or using a public computer who don't have access to install another browser. MK had no chance at taking on eBay.

Edited by Hannacek
  • Like 8

Wow. He needs to hire a PR person. Between this and deleting critical comments and blocking critics he has absolutely no clue on how to speak to customers or potential customers. You win people over through persuasion, not insulting their intelligence.

I understand blocking many trolls, but most critics don't fall under that camp. And the trolls that have pestered him have made valid points.

I hope to never see anything from him again, though. I kind of doubt it, unless he changes his identity.

I think the most telling thing is how he makes it all about HIM. They gave away all these lifetime memberships, they aren't receiving any money, and if only they got $100 from people then they'd get a full year of something .... it doesn't seem to occur to him that there's no value in what he was offering. He gave it away and no one really wanted it then. What made him think that anyone would pay for something?

SD&R's video about the unwanted middleman is so very spot-on.

• Like 7

I guess he thought that if he could only get 5% or 10% as big as eBay he would be a millionaire.

But the way the internet works is on hegemonies. Facebook is the single dominant social network. Twitter is the single dominant mico-blogging site, youtube is the single dominant video site, Google is the single dominant search engine. And eBay is the single dominant auction site.

I don't see any way anyone can compete with any of those businesses. There are alternatives to all those sites, but none of them are a threat.

I am agreeing so hard here. The best alternative is to go micro-niche, like interest groups such as AtariAge. But I don't think this was set up as a way to make money.

33 users browsing the forum now. The rush has worn off! I still need my infotainment hit though.

• Like 2