IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Not this, though it is very cool.

I'm thinking of something way earlier, and in the original black case, just cut short. Like the dingy Adam that Rupan3 posted.

post-697-1112415521.jpg

In this 2006 thread about "the best is yet to come" Colecovision hardware speculations! Also mention of ColecoVision in an FPGA.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/67086-colecovision-the-best-is-yet-to-come/?p=1009512

• Like 1

Aha... that is nice. I'm pretty sure without watching some video that it's a Powersupply unit, I think I may have one of those around. Nice mod.

Yeah, that's it totally, just utterly and totally spot on.
I'd say swing the cart port to the middle maybe and even keep the expansion port for similar future add ons, hahahhah.

Not this, though it is very cool.

I'm thinking of something way earlier, and in the original black case, just cut short. Like the dingy Adam that Rupan3 posted.

post-697-1112415521.jpg

In this 2006 thread about "the best is yet to come" Colecovision hardware speculations! Also mention of ColecoVision in an FPGA.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/67086-colecovision-the-best-is-yet-to-come/?p=1009512

Cool. I have a ready-made console that I'm willing to license. Already has a huge game library...

attachicon.giftravesty.jpg

:roll:

If only there were some kind of catchy name we could give it... something to suggest the new console will be like the twin of a console you already know and love... hmm...

• Like 1

Is there a link to where the original Goldeneye Room and shower comments were being discussed? I guess I missed those but I keep seeing them being mentioned.

Piko mentioned it in the Retrogaming Roundup (RGR? RR? Retrogamingroundup? Retro Gaming Round Up?) interview, discussed a bit here and here. Basically at one point when "The Mysterious Mr. Lee"™ was talking to Piko on the phone, he was trying to impress Piko about the big corporation that he worked at, saying that they had showers at work and he worked out of the "Goldeneye Room".

Sounds like a quote from Tony Wilson, Factory Records' founder. Or Martin Hannett.

As for who this mysterious 'Lee' is --

We've just unmasked Janus as one of Mike's cronies who was trolling or hyping here and there's the ugly possibility that it was happening at Mike's behest or instruction. Would not at all be surprised to find Janus or another sheep in the Retro fold posing as a 'hardware engineer' at some mysterious Google-esque entity. That sounds like just the sort of shit someone who thought they could pass off a video capture card as a console would come up with. This is probably the most mundane of the pack of lies told.

It was Tony Wilson. Thank you for clearing my head.

• Like 1

post-25413-0-78461900-1457651038_thumb.png

So it is with a heavy heart that I have stepped down as associate editor for Retro Magazine.

It's been a good run -- a hell of a run. For the past two years I've been slinging reviews for the ReadRetro website, as well as great content for the magazine over the past ten issues. The fact that Mike Kennedy would even give me a chance to shine and join the editorial staff was an absolute pleasure.

But lately, I won't lie, it's been ugly. I've been getting a lot of flack from thecommunity over the Coleco Chameleon, a project that I wasn't even associated with. And even with its shutdown, there are still people calling for blood, if only because they think Mike pulled a fast one or something. That's not the case.

The truth is, I know nothing about it. I had just as many questions about the hardware as you guys did, and here I am getting fingers pointed at me anyway.

On top of that, I'm just not doing reviews for them anymore -- and I love doing reviews. Checking out classic games was part of the job for me, looking back at stuff like Killer Instinct (my first Retro review) and new games as well. But lately, well, I haven't been assigned as many. The job changed, and it just didn't feel the same.

And, of course, I'm working with David on a new podcast. I love what we did on the ‪#‎TalkRetro‬ episodes (including the last one with the adorable Carrie Bland) and I miss that. Working with him on a new show while staying on the Retro staff would've been a conflict of interest...and that's not what I'm about.

So I'm stepping down, sad as it is. I want to take the opportunity to, again, thank Mike Kennedy for everything he's done. He's a compassionate guy and took even more flack for the Chameleon than anyone we could imagine, and now he can go back and focus on making the magazine everything it should be. And I'd like to thank all the staff as well, including David and his team -- I know they'll take it to new heights.

As for me, it's on to working on the new podcast and, of course, doing what I do best with the other sites I work for. Can't keep a busy Workman down, it seems.

Oh, and I'm still a Retro fan. Can't take that away.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 10

Piko mentioned it in the Retrogaming Roundup (RGR? RR? Retrogamingroundup? Retro Gaming Round Up?) interview, discussed a bit here and here. Basically at one point when "The Mysterious Mr. Lee"™ was talking to Piko on the phone, he was trying to impress Piko about the big corporation that he worked at, saying that they had showers at work and he worked out of the "Goldeneye Room".

I've got a shower at work, but I work out of home. I also have Goldeneye for the N64, so there's that too.

• Like 5

It was Tony Wilson. Thank you for clearing my head.

That line was immortalised in the amazing movie 24 Hour Party People: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkhQaXECV58 (somewhat NSFW)

But I agree with John Ford, when you have to choose between the truth and the legend, print the legend.

John Ford actually said:

When forced to pick between truth and legend, print the legend.

• Like 4

attachicon.gifrw.png

So it is with a heavy heart that I have stepped down as associate editor for Retro Magazine.

It's been a good run -- a hell of a run. For the past two years I've been slinging reviews for the ReadRetro website, as well as great content for the magazine over the past ten issues. The fact that Mike Kennedy would even give me a chance to shine and join the editorial staff was an absolute pleasure.

But lately, I won't lie, it's been ugly. I've been getting a lot of flack from thecommunity over the Coleco Chameleon, a project that I wasn't even associated with. And even with its shutdown, there are still people calling for blood, if only because they think Mike pulled a fast one or something. That's not the case.

The truth is, I know nothing about it. I had just as many questions about the hardware as you guys did, and here I am getting fingers pointed at me anyway.

On top of that, I'm just not doing reviews for them anymore -- and I love doing reviews. Checking out classic games was part of the job for me, looking back at stuff like Killer Instinct (my first Retro review) and new games as well. But lately, well, I haven't been assigned as many. The job changed, and it just didn't feel the same.

And, of course, I'm working with David on a new podcast. I love what we did on the ‪#‎TalkRetro‬ episodes (including the last one with the adorable Carrie Bland) and I miss that. Working with him on a new show while staying on the Retro staff would've been a conflict of interest...and that's not what I'm about.

So I'm stepping down, sad as it is. I want to take the opportunity to, again, thank Mike Kennedy for everything he's done. He's a compassionate guy and took even more flack for the Chameleon than anyone we could imagine, and now he can go back and focus on making the magazine everything it should be. And I'd like to thank all the staff as well, including David and his team -- I know they'll take it to new heights.

As for me, it's on to working on the new podcast and, of course, doing what I do best with the other sites I work for. Can't keep a busy Workman down, it seems.

Oh, and I'm still a Retro fan. Can't take that away.

Sounds like he quit cause Mike didnt let him write reviews anymore and hes just using this as an excuse to get simpathy or something and to promote his other crap. Who is giving this guy flack? Has anyone else here never heard of him before?

Also like how he says Mike didnt pull a fast one, but next sentence says he knows nothing about it.

• Like 5

Thank goodness he defended Mike on his way out. *eyeroll* "I quit because of this, but only because people are out for blood. I wan't really doing anything for the magazine, anyway. Viva Mike."

Yeah, I get the "hey, nice working with Mike" type stuff, but saying he didn't pull a fast one? What do you call stuffing a SNES mini into a Jag case? What do you call stuffing a PCI capture card into a Jag case? I certainly don't call them legitimate prototypes.

• Like 5

He says "That's not the case." and starts the next paragraph "The truth is, I know nothing about it.", which isn't the strongest way of asserting that it's not the case. He may mean that he doesn't know either way because it's nothing to do with him. It's badly worded- he seems to want to avoid publicly shaming Mike further, but in doing so it looks like he is supporting him.

• Like 9

Sounds like he quit cause Mike didnt let him write reviews anymore and hes just using this as an excuse to get simpathy or something and to promote his other crap. Who is giving this guy flack? Has anyone else here never heard of him before?

No idea who he is, but If his work is as well put together as that fb post I don't think anyone will miss him.

• Like 11

That's the "Überflüssigekassettenkonsoledreifachschwindelbeweisohneauftauchennormallerweiserredseligerideegebenderpersonnachfirmenunterstützungsverlustgefühl" icon_mrgreen.gif

I tried it in Swedish as well. It doesn't quite flow in my mouth, but for fun it could be something like trippeltbluffadobefintligcartridgespelkonsolavpersonsomintesyntstillefterförloradfinansieringskänsla.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 8

So, is there anybody left alive at RETRO Magazine at this point besides Mike Kennedy? I checked their Web site, and all of the articles on the front page were written by either Robert Workman or David Giltinan, both of whom have now quit. At a time when they're already running three(?) issues behind, they're now having to replace prominent staff. And who would want to write for that rag, anyway?

• Like 4

So, is there anybody left alive at RETRO Magazine at this point besides Mike Kennedy? I checked their Web site, and all of the articles on the front page were written by either Robert Workman or David Giltinan, both of whom have now quit. At a time when they're already running three(?) issues behind, they're now having to replace prominent staff. And who would want to write for that rag, anyway?

It's funny, because I contacted Mike Kennedy when the magazine first launched, inquiring about writing for it based on my experience writing for my own website. Of course he never even responded, because I wasn't Sean Baby or Steve Tom Sawyer or any other gaming "journalist" with a name. Not going to lie; I am enjoying watching my success grow while MK is ostensibly in hiding and is clearly on the way down/out. A guy like me would have just worked for the extra exposure. "Real" journalists expect to get paid, Mike.

• Like 7