IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

attachicon.gifrw.png

So it is with a heavy heart that I have stepped down as associate editor for Retro Magazine.

It's been a good run -- a hell of a run. For the past two years I've been slinging reviews for the ReadRetro website, as well as great content for the magazine over the past ten issues. The fact that Mike Kennedy would even give me a chance to shine and join the editorial staff was an absolute pleasure.

But lately, I won't lie, it's been ugly. I've been getting a lot of flack from thecommunity over the Coleco Chameleon, a project that I wasn't even associated with. And even with its shutdown, there are still people calling for blood, if only because they think Mike pulled a fast one or something. That's not the case.

The truth is, I know nothing about it. I had just as many questions about the hardware as you guys did, and here I am getting fingers pointed at me anyway.

On top of that, I'm just not doing reviews for them anymore -- and I love doing reviews. Checking out classic games was part of the job for me, looking back at stuff like Killer Instinct (my first Retro review) and new games as well. But lately, well, I haven't been assigned as many. The job changed, and it just didn't feel the same.

And, of course, I'm working with David on a new podcast. I love what we did on the ‪#‎TalkRetro‬ episodes (including the last one with the adorable Carrie Bland) and I miss that. Working with him on a new show while staying on the Retro staff would've been a conflict of interest...and that's not what I'm about.

So I'm stepping down, sad as it is. I want to take the opportunity to, again, thank Mike Kennedy for everything he's done. He's a compassionate guy and took even more flack for the Chameleon than anyone we could imagine, and now he can go back and focus on making the magazine everything it should be. And I'd like to thank all the staff as well, including David and his team -- I know they'll take it to new heights.

As for me, it's on to working on the new podcast and, of course, doing what I do best with the other sites I work for. Can't keep a busy Workman down, it seems.

Oh, and I'm still a Retro fan. Can't take that away.

xbg7Deyl.jpg

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 1

Wow I finally reached the end!

sorry, year long lurker, first time poster - as so many I came to this holy forum through Pat and Ian, way back when the Retro VGS brouhaha started.

Yesterday I finally decided to get myself some of those account things everybody is talking about :)

I'm just a gamer, old, bad hearing and sight and I have no clue about anything, but holy mackerel, if you guys aren't the smartest people in the inter tubes, then I don't know what.

This thread should be crammed on a cartridge and put on display in a museum for the generations to come (just make sure it will at least hold the data for 50 years).

Guys, Hats off you are all amazing and you saved a lot of people from making a big mistake - and Mike Kennedy probably from Jail time ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmENMZFUU_0

P.S: I totally missed the opportunity to get the Nickname NorCalMike, since I live in NorCal and I'm a Mike. Stupid me! :_(

• Like 12

I think in the end, Mike Kennedy was just an ideas guy.

Sorry, There Is No "Idea Guy" Position In The Game Industry

Mike Kennedy could not code. He obviously did not know anything about hardware. He could not make even a simple game, or even produce a decent marketing campaign. He obviously did have some skills in producing a community of gamers to support his previous ventures, but he did a poor job nurturing that.

The sad thing is that, at least in my opinion, the ideas are the hard part. You can learn to code, You can learn to design hardware. You might not be Steve Wozniak, but you can learn to do them competently-enough to turn ideas into reality. But having the creative mind to come up with the ideas in the first place? That's not something that you can so easily learn. Like that article that you linked said (in a nutshell): Want to be an ideas guy? Learn a skill to go along with it.

sorry, year long lurker, first time poster - as so many I came to this holy forum through Pat and Ian, way back when the Retro VGS brouhaha started.

Yesterday I finally decided to get myself some of those account things everybody is talking about :)

I'm just a gamer, old, bad hearing and sight and I have no clue about anything, but holy mackerel, if you guys aren't the smartest people in the inter tubes, then I don't know what.

This thread should be crammed on a cartridge and put on display in a museum for the generations to come (just make sure it will at least hold the data for 50 years).

Guys, Hats off you are all amazing and you saved a lot of people from making a big mistake - and Mike Kennedy probably from Jail time ;)

P.S: I totally missed the opportunity to get the Nickname NorCalMike, since I live in NorCal and I'm a Mike. Stupid me! :_(

NorCal represent! Whereabouts are you located?

• Like 1

That looks like it was a LOT of work to make that video. BTW the return address on the mailing label is for an Arby's restaurant.

Somebody needs to alert Albert! He needs to know this important information:

post-13-0-92918900-1457767494.png

I think we are only supposed to communicate by making videos these days. Maybe Albert can turn AtariAge into AtariTube. Warm up your smartphones, it's selfie video time! Remember, post a selfie video instead of typing words any time you want to comment on anything. That's the way we do it in 2016.

post-13-0-92918900-1457767494_thumb.png

• Like 17

That video was sooooo worth it! How did he get the box to look so nice?? He must know people.

I feel bad because now that I've seen that video, I want one. Even if it's just the box to put on a shelf. lol

But it's also sad knowing that Mike would never have been able to match the quality we saw there. I also love the 8 bit Never Gonna Give You Up that was playing.

• Like 10

Welcome and nice avatar/username btw. Stuff goes good on Rubens and Hawt Dawgs! :P

NorCalMike sounds a bit trollish and you'd probably have regretted the username after a while. I wouldn't associate myself with such things...

• Like 1

Welcome and nice avatar/username btw. Stuff goes good on Rubens and Hawt Dawgs! :P

NorCalMike sounds a bit trollish and you'd probably have regretted the username after a while. I wouldn't associate myself with such things...

I ain't tall, but ain't a troll :)

Thank you Kosmic Stardust formerly know as Stardust4Ever!

• Like 1