IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

If only this had dragged on a bit longer. We were closing in on 300 pages and 500,000 topic views. Crazy!

But seriously, now that it's over I feel a bit relieved. I can get back to my regular schedule of doing nothing.

57662739.jpg

• Like 5

Somebody needs to alert Albert! He needs to know this important information:

post-13-0-92918900-1457767494.png

I think we are only supposed to communicate by making videos these days. Maybe Albert can turn AtariAge into AtariTube. Warm up your smartphones, it's selfie video time! Remember, post a selfie video instead of typing words any time you want to comment on anything. That's the way we do it in 2016.

Just wanted to give my opinion on this. Facebook is an absolutely atrocious medium for long-term discussions on just about any topic. It's fine for whatever is hot at This Very Moment, but if you want to have any sort of meaningful discussion, it's a mess. Facebook "posts" are displayed newest-first, it's a huge pain in the neck to read conversations that have tons of posts, and especially nested posts, it's often very difficult to find new posts within a conversation (especially when nested posts are involved), good luck trying to find old conversations that have long ago scrolled way, managing attachments of any kind is an exercise in frustration, and so forth. There's no way to structure conversations into different topics, short of creating a separate Facebook Group for each topic, but that does not give you any type of fine-grained structure.

There is no way a thread such as this could have taken place on Facebook.

..Al

• Like 26

Oh great!

Now that I signed up for forums about a week ago, I gotta start using facebook and videos? I don't even know how to get my VHS camcorder hooked up to my computer. My Coleco ADAM was so much easier, you just programmed it to do what you want.

What next? Am I supposed to give up my GameBoy and GBA SP, and play games on a "phone"? Never!

I'll go as high as a 3DS, but even then my SEGA Nomad (with LCD screen mod, I mean I'm not a Philistine) will see more action!

• Like 2

Maybe someone should start a retro cartridge social media site that will blow the balls off of facebook. If they could find the right person to do the hard work, and some people to invest in the kickstarter, they could corner the market and make millions! But what do I know, I'm not a software guy.

• Like 6

Everytime I find something I like it has to be old as sh*t...

Good thing that all of the discussions here are about brand new cutting age technology and games..

Oh wait they're not, and Ive never once solved a tech problem through facebook and the such..

I also noticed that unboxing was at the same place that Mike Matei and some other guy do longplays..

Here's one:

Edited by Natimus

I think originally the social aspects of Facebook is what won it its users. I left it a couple years ago.

A two-year hiatus from Twitter made me see how insane it's gotten. Conversations are hard to follow; and even more-so if others join in. Follower count means nothing since they probably just want a follow-back and have you muted anyway. And the Twitter feed is like this thread on a hot day but with ten different subjects.

Dadgum whippersnappers get off my lawn!

hires_custom-9407414d6e47cacf19d48fe0f70

• Like 9

I've been working on a totally original stage production of the whole Coleco Chameleon debacle. I'm thinking of calling it Kennedy or A SoCal tragedy.

I'm planning to launch my Kickstarter campaign pretty soon and am looking forward to all the money from the backers.

Here is a small sample of my totally original work.

Kennedy - Act 5, Scene 5

[scene set: Atop the parapet at Retro Video Game Systems Inc. world headquarters.]

[Enter KENNEDY, KAMINSKI, and soldiers with drum and colours,]

[KENNEDY] Hang out our banners on the outward walls;
The cry is still 'They come:' our castle's strength
Will laugh a siege to scorn: here let them lie
Till famine and the ague eat them up:
Were they not forced with those that should be ours,
We might have met them dareful, beard to beard,
And beat them backward home.

[The ring of a phone from within]

What is that noise?

[KAMINSKY] It is the ring of a phone, my good lord. [Exit]

[KENNEDY] I have almost forgot the taste of fears;
The time has been, my senses would have cool'd
To hear a night-shriek; and my fell of hair
Would at a dismal treatise rouse and stir
As life were in't: I have supp'd full with horrors;
Direness, familiar to my slaughterous thoughts
Cannot once start me.

[Re-enter KAMINSKI]

Wherefore was that call?

[KAMINSKI] Coleco, my lord, thy license deal is dead.

[KENNEDY] It should have died hereafter;
There would have been a time for such a word.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

[Enter a Messenger]

Thou comest to use thy tongue; thy story quickly.

[MESSENGER] Gracious my lord,
I should report that which I say I saw,
But know not how to do it.

[KENNEDY] Well, say, sir.

[MESSENGER] As I did stand my watch upon the hill,
I look'd toward Youtube and anon, methought,
The NES Punk and Ian began to complain.

[KENNEDY] Liar and slave!

[MESSENGER] Let me endure your wrath, if't be not so:
Within thy own browser may you see it coming;
I say, a complaining punk and cohort.

[KENNEDY] If thou speak'st false,
Upon the next tree shalt thou hang alive,
Till famine cling thee: if thy speech be sooth,
I care not if thou dost for me as much.
I pull in resolution, and begin
To doubt the equivocation of the fiend
That lies like truth: 'Fear not, till Pat the NES Punk
Do condemn thy name:' and now a Punk
Calls against mine. Arm, arm, and out!
If this which he avouches does appear,
There is nor flying hence nor tarrying here.
I gin to be aweary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Ring the alarum-bell! Blow, wind! come, wrack!
You lot take care of this, I've pressing business elsewhere. [Exit]

• Like 9

Everytime I find something I like it has to be old as sh*t...

Good thing that all of the discussions here are about brand new cutting age technology and games..

Oh wait they're not, and Ive never once solved a tech problem through facebook and the such..

I also noticed that unboxing was at the same place that Mike Matei and some other guy do longplays..

Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo5w_D06lf8

Hopefully he makes enough selling those shirts that he can pay to refurnish his grandparent's basement.

Hopefully he makes enough selling those shirts that he can pay to refurnish his grandparent's basement.

Its some sort of set in an office with cubicles everywhere.

I havent the slightest why they made it look like that.

Probably to evoke some sort of retro vibe.

Idk about you but I never had astroturf in my house growing up.

Maybe on a porch, but never inside the house and we were poor as hell lol.

Its some sort of set in an office with cubicles everywhere.

I havent the slightest why they made it look like that.

Probably to evoke some sort of retro vibe.

Idk about you but I never had astroturf in my house growing up.

Maybe on a porch, but never inside the house and we were poor as hell lol.

I think it's meant to be green shag carpet. The carpeting, Archie Bunker chairs and the awful paneling are all evocative of the early 1970s.

Kitsch is fine, and almost expected, if you're reviewing retro products.

Just wanted to give my opinion on this. Facebook is an absolutely atrocious medium for long-term discussions on just about any topic. It's fine for whatever is hot at This Very Moment, but if you want to have any sort of meaningful discussion, it's a mess.

Corrected.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 13

I think originally the social aspects of Facebook is what won it its users. I left it a couple years ago.

A two-year hiatus from Twitter made me see how insane it's gotten. Conversations are hard to follow; and even more-so if others join in. Follower count means nothing since they probably just want a follow-back and have you muted anyway. And the Twitter feed is like this thread on a hot day but with ten different subjects.

Dadgum whippersnappers get off my lawn!

Way off topic... I have never understood the appeal of Facebook, but I've given my opinion in topics about that, so enough said.

With twitter, you have to be picky and choosey about who to follow. By no means should you use it to communicate with friends. The only reason why I have an account is that many of the sports announcers and pundits that I like are on it, and it is often the only way to make a comment. Yes, I know it never shows up unless they follow you or they retweet it. I don't expect them to follow me. Sometimes I may get a personal message back or get re-twitted if what I said makes any sense. If he/she wants to ignore it, I really don't care.

If I had ever gotten around to doing my own reviews, I'd guess I'd use it more.

Edited by cybercylon

Well, James Rolfe did tease that his next AVGN episode will be "kind of Retro" a few days back...

I have been holding my thumbs to the point i am having trouble with mundane everyday tasks for them to feature this thing.

Corrected.

You're just too old to appreciate the importance of knowing what People you barely know ate for dinner, and having wrong Information spammed at you every day from fanatics of a certain lifestile who hate knowing there are People who don't share their view of the world.

Once you see how your life is empty without those you'll never be able to apreciate the marvels of modern digital social media.

• Like 10

So the guy that did the unboxing dribbled out a few more details;

For future reference, I created the box using art assets I found on Google image. I had to remake the logo and photoshop the entire thing. It was printed on vinyl at a FastSigns and slapped onto a regular white cardboard box. I might put the raw files somewhere, so others can print one day.

+QueenFanIII They are friends of mine. Used to work there. Not on file. Only I have the parts. The hard part is finding the RIGHT box or they won't fit. I know we got the white box at Staples. I'll maybe pop the details somewhere one day, but.... maybe not. The world doesn't need more fake Coleco Chameleon boxes.

I hope he does us all a solid and posts them today!

Edited by Pipercub
  • Like 6