IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

At the end of the day, no amount of tapdancing or placing blame changes a few things:

"I thought I had a working prototype" - You own the company, you wrote the checks. Buck stops wth you, if you didn't even ONE time ask to see or hold the product you paid for in your own hands before asking for other's money there's just no excuse. There's simply nothing to glean here beyond intention to deceive.

"I got scammed" - No, you didn't. You pay not once, not twice, but at least three times for work done and you never once validate that work to be real? Who's fault is that really?

"good or bad I continued the toy fair" - There's no good here, only lack of common sense and ill intent. If you suspected you had nothing BEFORE toy fair, then during it you confirm it and then you STILL continue, that's flat out deception. Again, no excuse. Nobody to blame, your name is on the door.

you had nothing, you never had anything more than nothing and you knew it. Claiming otherwise is just unbelievable. Yet you still tried to get people's money and then sully the name of good people to dig your way out. NO.

• Like 20

Seems to me that Mike Kennedy really is 'patient zero' for an unknown Idiot Virus. Looks to be super contagious too, damn. I hope Al invests in a hazmat suit and gears up before touching that Jaguar tooling. Get your sani-wipes ready ~

• Like 6

If you make a habit of murdering people they refer to you as a serial killer.

What do they call you when you repeatedly murder the careers of hardware engineers?

(egads, to think this is probably only the tip of the body count)

I'm not sure about the general term, but in this case, it would still be a serial killer since he uses the same MO of throwing people under the bus :P

• Like 1

What do they call you when you repeatedly murder the careers of hardware engineers?

sega

• Like 8

So wait Mike Kennedy has said he will no longer answer questions on this thread anymore? And the way he wrote it, read as a little kid throwing a fit cause he wasn't getting his way. Hmmm, so because he wasn't given a "it will be okay mike, we forgive you" and a pat on the back. He has clammed up. Sorry sunshine, you "shat the bed, now you get to either lie in it or clean it up". And sadly for you this mess is just too much to come back from.

Edited by MagnaRyuu
  • Like 6

What I believe:

-Mike Kennedy did not like Clay's real world price quote and demands for itemized hardware requirements. He didn't have the patience or the cash.

-Mike then colluded with Sean to whip up anything that could get them through the toy show and a KickStarter.

-Sean assured him he could get passable FAKE systems working, so the real money could be pulled in from KickStarter later.

-Sean oversold his hardware hacking prowess, or was just lazy. As pointed out earlier by another commenter: He couldn't be bothered to rewire the rear connections or bury them deeper? Come on, Mike! You get what you pay for!

-Mike was like: "I can't pay you, but don't worry; you'll cash-in big time, once we use your 'prototype' to qualify for Kickstarter! " Sean whines and says: "Yeah, but I gotta eat for the next month. Can't you float me a few grand to tide me over?"

-Mike says "Okay, here is some money for groceries. I'm sure your dope stand-in fake prototype will get us in the door!"

-Mike closes his eyes and fantasizes about raking in a cool couple million dollars from KickStarter. Part of him worries for just a second that he'll eventually have to find someone to develop some real hardware. Then he remembers Clay, and relaxes. "He only wanted $70k! Peanuts! I'm golden!"

• Like 25

Normally I would say an engineer career fear seer, but in this case, I prefer coleco retro no go better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

To be fair, there's risks in opeing a prototype.

Edit: It's obvisous Mike was scammed by a pro scammer.

And a lot of people are commenting without even reading Mike's post in full.

I believe Mike, I've been scammed myself and you can only blame yourself and feel like an idiot.. but we pull up our big boy pants and continue.

I hope MIke continues, he's an ASSHAT in the retro scene.

Fixed your typo.

• Like 1

Again I have no connection to Mike Kennedy and I have no idea what he did or didn't know in this situation. Some people here are giving Sean Robinson way too much credit. He is not a hardware engineer at all. He is a con man. He knows what to tell people to convince them to give him money that's all. He is great at passing off other people's work as his own. I am very surprised he was able to snow Clay and Steve over several phone conversations in to thinking this was a project he could do. He has basic soldering skills at best. So believe whatever you want about Mike but please don't think that Mike is throwing a skilled engineer under the bus. Sean is neither skilled nor an engineer of any kind besides BS.

Edited by y-bot
  • Like 6

What I believe:

-Mike Kennedy did not like Clay's real world price quote and demands for itemized hardware requirements. He didn't have the patience or the cash.

-Mike then colluded with Sean to whip up anything that could get them through the toy show and a KickStarter.

-Sean assured him he could get passable FAKE systems working, so the real money could be pulled in from KickStarter later.

-Sean oversold his hardware hacking prowess, or was just lazy. As pointed out earlier by another commenter: He couldn't be bothered to rewire the rear connections or bury them deeper? Come on, Mike! You get what you pay for!

-Mike was like: "I can't pay you, but don't worry; you'll cash-in big time, once we use your 'prototype' to qualify for Kickstarter! " Sean whines and says: "Yeah, but I gotta eat for the next month. Can't you float me a few grand to tide me over?"

-Mike says "Okay, here is some money for groceries. I'm sure your dope stand-in fake prototype will get us in the door!"

-Mike closes his eyes and fantasizes about raking in a cool couple million dollars from KickStarter. Part of him worries for just a second that he'll eventually have to find someone to develop some real hardware. Then he remembers Clay, and relaxes. "He only wanted $70k! Peanuts! I'm golden!"

Thank you for this post. I have absolutely no doubt that is exactly how this shit went down.

Mike is no victim, there is a specific reason he paid cash to Sean and not Clay, nor Kevtris, nor Carlsen, nor anyone else with the credentials to get this done the right way. Sean could deliver what Mike needed- a convincing fake that could give him the benefit of the doubt and get him on Kickstarter. And of course you're not going to ask someone with "decades of experience in the industry" to make a fake for you, they'll rat you out. So he went to Sean, who he did know for some time and for someone like Mike who loves to trumpet someone's experience, I'm sure he knew Sean was an experienced con. But again- that's exactly what Mike was out to buy.

Sean's first fake proto wasn't that great. Those meanie meanies on AtariAge figured it out in the first hour. But Mike didn't care, the media was still lapping him up so the Toy Fair fake actually did work. So Mike, who tells us he cares so much about the truth and respecting this hobby, gives us the middle finger because as long as he doesn't open it up he can feign ignorance later if he needs to. He knew he needs to be more convincing to ensure he gets on Kickstarter, and Sean knew it too. So Sean assures Mike no one will be able to figure out the next one.

Mike's got all his ducks in a row but runs into trouble, BTB won't help him with the video without seeing a working proto. So at the last minute Mike has to postpone but no worries, no one can prove wrongdoing yet. Lee sends him pics of the next fake. Mike posts them and he's happy as a clam because this one finally shut up AtariAge. More than a day passes without anyone calling it out so Mike gladly pays Sean, he did his job brilliantly!

But then all hell breaks lose when it's finally identified. Mike goes into hiding (and on vacation, actually) for a month to write a story that would make Ian Fleming proud.

• Like 21

ClaySean could deliver what Mike needed- a convincing fake that could give him the benefit of the doubt and get him on Kickstarter. And of course you're not going to ask someone with "decades of experience in the industry" to make a fake for you, they'll rat you out. So he went to ClaySean, who he did know for some time and for someone like Mike who loves to trumpet someone's experience, I'm sure he knew ClaySean was an experienced con. But again- that's exactly what Mike was out to buy.

You are mistaken Clay for Sean, I believe.

Clay was only around 3 months and then bye bye before Carlsen even showed up, smelling the stink he left.

Fix it, please.

• Like 9

Me personally I'm still waiting to know why when Mike decided to ditch his friends (pipercub, UKMike, the first time Sean) to go with Carlsen (RetroVGS time) he also decided to give them all the finger and transfer IP under the table .... this from pipercub own statements which I'm inclined to believe.

Seriously, why?

Even earlier (or maybe same time) the slay of hand of buying the Jag molds with funds from GG (or the magazine I can't remember) and then transfer them as a loan to RetroVGS etc..... and have the RVGS Inc have to payback via "mandatory" ad on the magazine at the going rate .... WTF is that?

If Mike starts explaining and taking blame from that point on, maybe there's hope to figure out the set of fuxx up leading all the way to Sean act 2 (aka Coleco Chameleon, so camouflaged there really isn't anything to it, literally) which I already stated I believe took a chance to get back at Mike for getting the shaft the first time around.

For all the scams Sean seems to have pulled around in other capacities (and that likely did), during the first phase of the "project" (pre RVGS) it seems to NOT have done anything wrong maybe not producing anything but in the end he got nothing anyway and even more Mike used him for the magazine Web dev side so some work there was done [was it?].

(well at least a backdoor was installed if we are to believe that Mike deleted the account and Sean came back not 2 days ago to "erase the checks" or maybe I got this part tangled up who knows .... at any rate backdoor or still admin it makes no sense anyway but hey, it's not that the rest of the story is much better unless you put Mike's greed/desperation front and center [WHICH I DO])

• Like 5

post-39793-0-47043800-1460007642_thumb.jpgI can't believe Sean Robinsons name is coming up. This is all too crazy, and such a small world. I talked to Sean at SC3, he had a booth set up with commodore 64's lined up on the table. We started talking about old C64's but what I was really after was - who was the guy that had any Jaguar products. Sean pointed to a guy about 15ft away and said - Mike. Mike Kennedy is the guy you want to talk to. I knew of MK because I was trying to get a clear shell for the Jag Bar but my emails were never returned, so now was my chance to see if I could talk to him about getting one. Sean Robinson is the guy that introduced me to Mike Kennedy. I met Mike, he was generous enough to give me a stack of clear carts, a clear shell, some RETRO mags and agreed to be on the Jag Bar. Also if any one is intrested I picked up Pinball Fantasies, Ruiner Pinball and Zool2. Also Space Harrier 32x and After Burner 32x.... oh yeah and an amazing story that would develop later. #ruiner

• Like 16

attachicon.gif12195987_10153450487703612_9040134653395774852_n.jpgI can't believe Sean Robinsons name is coming up. This is all too crazy, and such a small world. I talked to Sean at SC3, he had a booth set up with commodore 64's lined up on the table. We started talking about old C64's but what I was really after was - who was the guy that had any Jaguar products. Sean pointed to a guy about 15ft away and said - Mike. Mike Kennedy is the guy you want to talk to. I knew of MK because I was trying to get a clear shell for the Jag Bar but my emails were never returned, so now was my chance to see if I could talk to him about getting one. Sean Robinson is the guy that introduced me to Mike Kennedy. I met Mike, he was generous enough to give me a stack of clear carts, a clear shell, some RETRO mags and agreed to be on the Jag Bar. Also if any one is intrested I picked up Pinball Fantasies, Ruiner Pinball and Zool2. Also Space Harrier 32x and After Burner 32x.... oh yeah and an amazing story that would develop later. #ruiner

There's a good picture of "good" Mike here too (never met the guy so I need to use the ironic quotes):

http://www.sc3videogames.com/highlights/2011_10_01.php

So that was 2011, when did you say you met Mike? .... wtf happened since then up until say Nov 2014?

What kind of terrible disaster/brouhaha/clusterfuck happend in Mike's life that led to the unfolding of events we all had to witness?

There's a good picture of "good" Mike here too (never met the guy so I need to use the ironic quotes):

http://www.sc3videogames.com/highlights/2011_10_01.php

So that was 2011, when did you say you met Mike? .... wtf happened since then up until say Nov 2014?

What kind of terrible disaster/brouhaha/clusterfuck led to the unfolding of events we all had to witness?

http://www.sc3videogames.com/highlights/2015_11_07.php

Nov 7th 2015 SC3 Backyard blowout

You can see my green vest in the second picture.

http://www.sc3videogames.com/highlights/2015_11_07.php

Nov 7th 2015 SC3 Backyard blowout

You can see my green vest in the second picture.

I see, then the mess was already ongoing ..... my bad thought I could find a "starting point" if there's one.

In Nov 7th 2015 the RVGS thing already blew and the CC was coming up with Sean act 2 .... so!