IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I am proud to announce that this comedy of errors we know as the Retro VGS saga has now been immortalized in the form of a short silent film:

If this is the last Retro VGS video I ever make, then I'm more than happy to end it with this and go out with a bang (pun fully intended).

Enjoy!

• Like 33

I am proud to announce that this comedy of errors we know as the Retro VGS saga has now been immortalized in the form of a short silent film:

If this is the last Retro VGS video I ever make, then I'm more than happy to end it with this and go out with a bang (pun fully intended).

I was hoping somebody would make something like this. Well done, sir!

(Although I still hope that this saga becomes the basis of a full movie or documentary someday.)

• Like 4

Thanks, guys!

I'm not ruling out a documentary but if that surfaces it's not going to be relatively soon. Plus, a bit of a break is probably needed so the story can simmer down and we know the final fate of the molds, Mike, Sean, etc...

I think you mean to say ...

"I'm postponing the documentary to make it EVEN BETTER!"

• Like 13

Enjoy!

I really really really hope you make a sequel with Karma Chameleon, under_the_bus_stuffing, and the notorious Mr. L.E.E.

• Like 1

StopDrop&Retro, on 16 Apr 2016 - 1:16 PM, said:

Thanks, guys!

I'm not ruling out a documentary but if that surfaces it's not going to be relatively soon. Plus, a bit of a break is probably needed so the story can simmer down and we know the final fate of the molds, Mike, Sean, etc...

Hey StopDrop&Retro...Maybe you could corner the Retro (VGS) Documentary Market!

• Like 2

Wow. That had to be the single best bit of retro-game related comedy I've seen in a long time... and not referring to the subject matter. Well played AND produced sir!

QFT. I seldom click "play" on embedded podcasts, video recaps, etc in this thread... this earned the very rare play click from me. And it was well worth it.

• Like 2

https://youtu.be/jIOpto-v5dk

Enjoy!

Incredible! Definitely want this if you watch a sensible chuckle Edited by FriendofSonic
  • Like 1

Enjoy!

That was wonderful. My only very small criticism is that The Triumph of the Will wasn't a silent film and The Birth of a Retroland may have been more fitting. ;)

• Like 1

Will Cladley (creator of the Nostalgia SH-IT parody videos that we've all enjoyed) is back with a second episode of his new podcast, now renamed "Retro Critical":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Ygo7--39o

He has a short segment about the lessons of the RVGS/Chameleon project, starting at about 1:30:50.

Nothing against him but 3h:40m of podcast? wtf?

These things are getting waaaaaaaay too long ..... you don't have to "vomit" everything at once .... what happened to digestible morsels?

Little 20m pieces are something I may be willing to get thru and even there I have an issue as at that point I'd prefer the transcript and go thru it myself unless you know you're making me listening to music.

Seriously the Lord of the Rings wasn't that long at 200 mins (for the theatrical edition of Return of the King) and they didn't talk all throughout the 3h:20 mins of it either.

On a side note yesterday I almost bought Retro mag at a B&N "nearby" as they still had issue 10 (the one with the CC ad page at the end) .... then I decided to simply pass :-D

• Like 6

These things are getting waaaaaaaay too long ..... you don't have to "vomit" everything at once .... what happened to digestible morsels?

Little 20m pieces are something I may be willing to get thru and even there I have an issue as at that point I'd prefer the transcript and go thru it myself unless you know you're making me listening to music.

Seriously the Lord of the Ring wasn't that long at 200 mins (for the theatrical edition of Return of the King) and they didn't talk all throughout the 3h:20 mins of it either.

On a side note yesterday I almost bought Retro mag at a B&N "nearby" as they still had issue 10 (the one with the CC ad page at the end) .... then I decided to simply pass :-D

I need to respectfully disagree.

I love it when my podcasts go extra long. There are only about a dozen podcasts I listen to a lot, and I like a lot of content when a new episode drops. If it's too long, I can pause it and come back for it later... That's the beauty of the format. I find it much more annoying to see a podcast be cut or edited to fit an artificial and arbitrarily decided "time slot".

• Like 2

I love it when my podcasts go extra long. There are only about a dozen podcasts I listen to a lot, and I like a lot of content when a new episode drops. If it's too long, I can pause it and come back for it later... That's the beauty of the format. I find it much more annoying to see a podcast be cut or edited to fit an artificial and arbitrarily decided "time slot".

I wasn't suggesting an arbitrary slot, but the same as in books, there's a meaningful way to break down the content in chapters then in paragraphs .... I wouldn't want to read a book that is basically one giant paragraph that spans the complete tome cover to cover, even if I can put a bookmark at the exact word.

It's somewhat easier to organize the material if you try to break it down .... but I see your point and not being a fan of podcasts/YT or the likes anyway I find it refreshing that what I find annoying seems to be their strengths, kind of explains why I am not that into it to begin with.

• Like 2

There was a time when I was averse to long podcasts but I've started to like them. I usually listen to them while playing a game or at the gym, it's very relaxing. I like that because then I can break it down into hour long workouts or play sessions as I see fit. I'm planning to listen to him later tonight or tomorrow.

You also have to remember- this is his second episode. He's made the right move by just keeping it simple, it's just a show where he gives his opinion about news topics that interests him. As time goes on and he gets a better feel for it, he can probably add recurring segments and maybe some audience involvement of some sort. He's doing great so far.

I looked for RETRO issue #10 locally and can't find it. Then again, I didn't make much of an effort.

• Like 2

I love it when my podcasts go extra long. There are only about a dozen podcasts I listen to a lot, and I like a lot of content when a new episode drops. If it's too long, I can pause it and come back for it later.

I wasn't suggesting an arbitrary slot, but the same as in books, there's a meaningful way to break down the content in chapters then in paragraphs.

There was a time when I was averse to long podcasts but I've started to like them. I usually listen to them while playing a game or at the gym, it's very relaxing. I like that because then I can break it down into hour long workouts or play sessions as I see fit.

We have this conversation regularly, being a long podcast. Look at it as an audio magazine that you don't listen to, or read, in one sitting, and of course we have pause technology.

The problem with giving people the whole story rather than a snapshot is that things run long but for good reason.

The other problem with breaking the show up, even with bookmarks, is that we have to cater to all mp3 players everywhere, and not all support it.

I have investigated inserting bookmarks into the show rather than just publishing the timestamps, which we do in the rss fed, and the issue is that it breaks playback on some devices and we simply can't do that, so we cater to the masses and publish timestamps but put out a single, large show.

We have also polled our listeners more than once and the consensus is that they prefer the long show format, so we do what the majority of our listeners want to hear.

Edited by UKMike
  • Like 6

You polled your listeners and they told you "more of the same" because they are the ones who stuck with you. Missing from those results are the people who quit because it's too. damn. long.

I have tried many long podcasts, and always abandon them, RGR included, in favor of tightly planned, more concise episodes or publishers who break things up. Unlike some of your listeners, my listening time is finite, and I don't give it out indiscriminately -- there's too much good stuff out there for me to waste time on formats I don't enjoy.

This is just my opinion, I'm not trying to be mean or single you out particularly. When I see a massively long podcast, it's a sign to me that it hasn't been edited thoughtfully and probably won't respect my time.

• Like 6

Since you're already recording timestamps of each topic, there's probably a program / script that would enable you to split the MP3 into chunks. Then you can provide a .zip of the whole thing for people to throw in a media player.

Edited by Newsdee