IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Forgive me if it has been discussed to death as I am severely behind on this thread (currently two weeks behind). I got the email notification to Retro readers describing the "best of" issue. Seriously why?

Did most of MK's write staff get thrown under the bus or quit/resign, and for the lack of content to show, MK decides it's a good strategy to take money for a deluxe "best of" issue, rather than fulfill existing subscribers' issues?

Content has been lackluster so I have little desire to spend any more money on this project. Comments, thoughts on the special edition? Seriously it's like Mike thinks people are already nostalgic for his very unnostalgic magazine two years in? Retro is hardly retro yet.

Back in the day, people took the old Sears/Robuck catalog to the outhouse when they were done with it. Maybe Retro should be retired to the outhouse? Because I cannot in good faith send money to a guy who spent $7k on fake prototypes...

• Like 4

Wasn't Mike quoted as saying (in his "apology") that game gavel is still running strong and better than ever? (Or something to that effect)

I'm no genius but that cannot be anywhere near accurate.

I guess he said something like that, in between the under-bus-throwing. Note that one side of the mouth uses "growing business" to mean "not making any money yet," in a "developing country" sense of the term. The dude's optimistic spin on everything is really something, he should be in politics.

Here are the words from the maestro himself, quoted to save the hassle of fishing for it.

10. What happened to your partners in GameGavel and Retro magazine? Have they been cut out of their share of any profits, as has been suggested elsewhere? Will they be compensated in any way? Partners in GameGavel aren't really partners, they are friends and family passive investors. And then they bought in Oct 2010 there was no magazine only the auction site. I have continued to try and add value to that company by adding similar revenue centers, the magazine, media and auction site fit together well. The console was a separate venture because manufacturing a console is completely different than running a web/media/magazine site. This is still a growing venture so none of them have lost their investments which were minimal dollar amounts at best. I have offered to buy Scott out, but he never returns my calls or email. My two "partners" in RETRO Magazine were let go for various reasons, one of them not being able to produce a magazine within a deadline which led to our constant delays. As for GameGavel/RETRO it's still growing. And one of my minority owners has been doing his best to crater the company.

Personally I don't recall many magazines that could be considered Collectible items, and more so on the gaming geared ones.

Outside the first couple issues of Nintendo Power Magazine I can't recall ones that would attract most people

I'd kill for a full set of Electronic Games from 1981-1985.

• Like 3

If you guys are itching for a RVGS-esque pitch video, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyTYOM_yl0k

It's unlisted and apparently a draft of a pitch video for PGS, who want to make a Windows handheld. They haven't officially mentioned any intent to go for crowdfunding but the title and content in the video seems to confirm it.

• Like 1

If you guys are itching for a RVGS-esque pitch video, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyTYOM_yl0k

It's unlisted and apparently a draft of a pitch video for PGS, who want to make a Windows handheld. They haven't officially mentioned any intent to go for crowdfunding but the title and content in the video seems to confirm it.

Wow, you're right, that was like a Millennial version of the RVGS. Lots of non-sequitors thrown in to sound good, but that don't actually make sense, like emphasizing that the developers were JAPANESE or screaming about how it uses MOBILE CHIPS, like that's a good thing. And just like anyone who wanted a Coleco Chameleon would have been better off with a Retron 5 or Coleco Flashback, anyone looking at this gizmo is probably better off buying an actual computer.

And finally, no sign that it actually exists in a physical form anywhere.

Well, they did have the "early prototype" but I'm pretty sure it's just a windows tablet without its case.

Can any of our best sleuths identify and confirm? It seems to have a forward facing camera in portrait mode with a micro SD card reader on the left and micro usb on the right along with maybe a headphone jack and power/home button (?) I can't tell what the numbers and letters are though. The first pic below is one side pointing towards the camera and the other pic is the board flipped over and pointing away from the camera.

BQzIBLQ.jpg

2Hqg9MO.jpg

• Like 1

For now I dont think Toilet paper will ever be a limited run.

Hammers have been around for a very long time.

Phalli seem to keep getting made as well, although for some strange reason the "experts" say the really old ones are for "ceremonial" purposes.

So if you want to create an empire to last through the millennia go into business manufacturing toilet paper, hammers, and dildos?

• Like 5

Well, they did have the "early prototype" but I'm pretty sure it's just a windows tablet without its case.

Can any of our best sleuths identify and confirm? It seems to have a forward facing camera in portrait mode with a micro SD card reader on the left and micro usb on the right along with maybe a headphone jack and power/home button (?) I can't tell what the numbers and letters are though. The first pic below is one side pointing towards the camera and the other pic is the board flipped over and pointing away from the camera.

I think you are right, this isn't exactly the same board, but looks very close (Linx 7 tablet - http://projectpie46.blogspot.com/2015/07/linx-7-disassembly-partial.html

Photo%2B21-07-2015%2B19%2B04%2B19.jpg

EDIT - Actually, now that I look even closer, I wonder if this is the same board -- but with some photoshopping done to take out the identification on the board below the square camera cutout. The larger white connector recessed from the edge (not visible above, but in the PGS photo) would be for the L-shaped camera ribbon cable.

Edited by hookem
  • Like 1

I'm just wondering why a Twilight vampire is pitching it and at first thought that maybe PGS stood for Pretty Guy Sparkles.

• Like 5

Unlike the RetroVGS pitch videos, this one has human beings in it. They're stock footage types, and the main spokesboy's dubbing is distractingly bad, but to me, this is way more convincing than RVGS ever was.

RVGS should have been a call to developers, a challenge grant, a contest. Of course, that would take resources, which the original team never had. As stated before, anyone in any position to make the machine could do it without the "help" of a mismanaging middleman.

Or a master of manipulation!

• Like 5

Hammers have been around for a very long time.

Phalli seem to keep getting made as well, although for some strange reason the "experts" say the really old ones are for "ceremonial" purposes.

So if you want to create an empire to last through the millennia go into business manufacturing toilet paper, hammers, and dildos?

You cant lose with one of those 3 - Im going to adjust my investment portfolio accordingly :)

• Like 1

I think you are right, this isn't exactly the same board, but looks very close (Linx 7 tablet - http://projectpie46.blogspot.com/2015/07/linx-7-disassembly-partial.html

EDIT - Actually, now that I look even closer, I wonder if this is the same board -- but with some photoshopping done to take out the identification on the board below the square camera cutout. The larger white connector recessed from the edge (not visible above, but in the PGS photo) would be for the L-shaped camera ribbon cable.

To me it looks like it says "CM_18270_V6 0" but the C could be an E, the M could be an H and the 8 could be a 6

I think hookem is right, this fake 'prototype' is a Linx 7" Windows Tablet PC. The PCB in this disassembly video is numbered EM_18270_V3.0 so the are minor differences aren't surprising as it's not the same revision (e.g. the size of gold patches on the edge of the PCB), but it's a 99% match. The battery here is a Shenzhen Shirui SR299198P, the number can be read in the 'prototype' and Linx photos.

post-39360-0-02192100-1461350916_thumb.pngpost-39360-0-30939200-1461350924_thumb.pngpost-39360-0-27544300-1461351288_thumb.jpgpost-39360-0-97033900-1461351333_thumb.jpg

Edit: I didn't notice hookem's post at first and found this using the battery number, adjusted my comments accordingly; too slow this time ;)

• Like 7

Edit: dammit, GALAX!!!! You got me!

I've identified their "early prototype" as a $65 Linx EM-I8270 7 inch Tablet, which is also sold under the Emdoor brand.

That's what the white lettering was.

enhance.jpg

Also, when you look at the buttons and input/outputs they are exact matches.

BL312193.jpg

Here is the Linx (flipped over) superimposed on the "early prototype":

trans_linx_crop.jpg

I like to see the Hater Brigade as a real-life ATARI Force but committed to stopping shitty Kickstarter scams from taking advantage of consumers.

The creator of the project (or someone from within the project) is answering questions on the Dingoonity forums and I've asked him to comment on this. http://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/pgs-portable-gaming-system-on-windows-10!!!/75/

• Like 7

Edit: dammit, GALAX!!!! You got me!

The creator of the project (or someone from within the project) is answering questions on the Dingoonity forums and I've asked him to comment on this. http://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/pgs-portable-gaming-system-on-windows-10!!!/75/

Haha, sorry, I too was disappointed to see that I had been beaten to it, I didn't look closely at hookem's board because he said "this isn't exactly the same board, but looks very close".

You should also post the pictures of the whole PCB that; that combined with the case are iron clad proof that they don't have a real prototype.

I like to see the Hater Brigade as a real-life ATARI Force but committed to stopping shitty Kickstarter scams from taking advantage of consumers.

We should, or at least a new thread devoted to this stuff. It's pretty fun trying to identify things from only a couple of vague pieces of information. The most blatant Indiegogo scam at the moment is the Triton Gills, which couldn't exist without multiple Nobel-prize level innovations. I'm also a big fan of Plastc which ticks all the scam boxes possible: it couldn't possibly work (other than magstripe) as described, is 18 months behind the first promised release date, and just published a video of an pseudo-Carlson 'engineer' working on the prototype in his basement with a bunch of cheap hobbyist tools: https://vimeo.com/158656087 (Yihua 898D, Centech 14 in 1, 50MHz Rigol scope)

• Like 3

After the Coleco Chameleon debacle, you would think that people would know better by now than to try to pass off a repurposed PCB from someone else's completed product as a "prototype." The Circuit Board Sleuths of the AtariAge Forums are watching!

Nothing wrong with using off the shelf products to make a new product including PCB, as long as it does it advertised purpose, and it's used fraudulently.