IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Mike apparently donated to Willie's Sandwich Fund (For Charity)

"For the record. Once it was brought to my attention these were refurbished I immediately emailed the buyers and have since issued them both refunds. I also told Willie I would pay him for them but he insisted that he didn't want the money and to just refund the buyers. Over the many years Willie and I have given/traded many things back and forth and in addition, I've given him a platform to promote his Youtube channels and podcasts. When I give something to someone it is theirs to do whatever they please, no strings attached. Either way, this is an opportunity to make this right with Willie as I always intended once he contacted me privately about it."

It's always a defensive half apology

Now THAT is the MK I have come to know. If you parse that correctly it is a real shitty attack on Willie.

First part ignores that he was selling someone else's stuff and goes right into how he was just trying to do the right thing.

Over the many years Willie and I have given/traded many things back and forth and in addition, I've given him a platform to promote his Youtube channels and podcasts.

Shades of I'm the only one here who has lost anything? Gave Willie a platform, what is his name really Mike Youtube? If he is referring to Willie posting on RGR that was a two way street with no need for a formal arrangement! Willie put our splash screens, credited us, and none of it was asked for or pay for play, we just like to mutually help our friends.

When I give something to someone it is theirs to do whatever they please, no strings attached.

Obvious charge being made here is that Willie did something inappropriate, good ol' indian giver Willie. Glossing over those being loaned items.

Either way, this is an opportunity to make this right with Willie as I always intended once he contacted me privately about it."

Right from the playbook, as Willie pointed out Socal went silent on him, classic MK move. Then he accuses the other person of not being communicative. "I'm working so hard to do the right thing but people keep tripping me up!"

• Like 14

"For the record. Once it was brought to my attention these were refurbished I immediately emailed the buyers and have since issued them both refunds. I also told Willie I would pay him for them but he insisted that he didn't want the money and to just refund the buyers. Over the many years Willie and I have given/traded many things back and forth and in addition, I've given him a platform to promote his Youtube channels and podcasts. When I give something to someone it is theirs to do whatever they please, no strings attached. Either way, this is an opportunity to make this right with Willie as I always intended once he contacted me privately about it."

It's always a defensive half apology

Yep, seems that's all the POS known as MK is able to do. Would be funny to refund his donation and remove his comment. That guy deserves no platform to spin his garbage whatsoever.

• Like 5

Yep, seems that's all the POS known as MK is able to do. Would be funny to refund his donation and remove his comment. That guy deserves no platform to spin his garbage whatsoever.

Ironically, he has one here, but is too cowardly to come to a place where people can call him on his lies.

Some have suggested Mike be banned from AA out of principle. I have an alternate suggestion: ban him from every part of the forum except this thread.

• Like 8

When I give something to someone it is theirs to do whatever they please, no strings attached.

Except the minicabs were never given, they were loaned. He really likes leaving out important details and just makes excuses instead.

I guess with this post he officially threw Willie under the bus?

• Like 7

"For the record. Once it was brought to my attention these were refurbished I immediately emailed the buyers and have since issued them both refunds. I also told Willie I would pay him for them but he insisted that he

Hah! Called it. I knew Mike would pretend that he didn't know these were repaired units and try to make it seem like the buyers should be mad with Willie and not him. So predictable.

• Like 2

Now THAT is the MK I have come to know. If you parse that correctly it is a real shitty attack on Willie.

First part ignores that he was selling someone else's stuff and goes right into how he was just trying to do the right thing.

Shades of I'm the only one here who has lost anything? Gave Willie a platform, what is his name really Mike Youtube? If he is referring to Willie posting on RGR that was a two way street with no need for a formal arrangement! Willie put our splash screens, credited us, and none of it was asked for or pay for play, we just like to mutually help our friends.

Obvious charge being made here is that Willie did something inappropriate, good ol' indian giver Willie. Glossing over those being loaned items.

Right from the playbook, as Willie pointed out Socal went silent on him, classic MK move. Then he accuses the other person of not being communicative. "I'm working so hard to do the right thing but people keep tripping me up!"

Ya, I noticed all this. Half the story being told yet again. Yes we have sent stuff back and forth. And yes things were sent with no strings attached. He has conveniently forgotten that I only asked that the minicades not be sold and returned to me when done. I really dont want to waste my time going back through the emails and such (not to mention the podcast as I am pretty sure I stated that on there at that time). Now that I have confirmation from the person that bought the Donkey Kong he did get his payment back yesterday (6/15 I am pretty much done with this. I have the GoFundMe money and would like to donate it to anyone that is going to be doing a Extra Life game stream. If you guys know of any coming up, let me know so I can pass on this money to that streamers campaign :P.

Also for the Record as he likes to state - RetroGamingRoundup gave me the platform - Scott, UKMike and Socal, Socal of RETRO magazine in the beginning gave me a platform but this was doomed from the start. I learned recently that Mike was trying to get me out of the magazine from the very start? then why ask me to write articles. I should have taken the hint when I was told not to write articles I wanted to do (take a Arcade Game, discuss it, its history and then discuss and rate the home ports of it) I ended up quitting after issue two as I did not like getting a phone call the night of the deadline saying I had to rewrite my whole article (you know, I do have a day job and travel alot, kind of hard to do).

• Like 12

We all know he only comes here when he has stuff to sell, or half-assed apologies to extrude.

I don't think two wrongs make it right, tho' xD

Seriously, sooner or later he's going to scam the wrong people and someone is going to have to ban him anyway. Sure, he's a source of entertainment... but he's also a proven scam artist and asshole. Not sure if its worth the trouble is what I'm saying.

Constructive criticism for Mike. Instead of this passive-aggressive dickery:

$60

Mike Kennedy
17 hours ago
For the record. Once it was brought to my attention these were refurbished I immediately emailed the buyers and have since issued them both refunds. I also told Willie I would pay him for them but he insisted that he didn't want the money and to just refund the buyers. Over the many years, Willie and I have given/traded many things back and forth and in addition, I've given him a platform to promote his Youtube channels and podcasts. When I give something to someone it is theirs to do whatever they please, no strings attached. Either way, this is an opportunity to make this right with Willie as I always intended once he contacted me privately about it.

Why not say something like this? Just own it! No one wants to hear weak excuses, they just want the behavior to change and not happen again. Can you do that, Mike?

This is Mike. I'm sorry about this misunderstanding. Willie is a good guy and didn't deserve this kind of disrespect. I will try to think before I act next time. Sorry everyone.
  • Like 9

This is Mike. I'm sorry about this misunderstanding. Willie is a good guy and didn't deserve this kind of disrespect. I will try to think before I act next time. Sorry everyone.

From companies, to consoles, to minicades, the test is pretty simple: Is this mine to take, no, OK I won't.

This kinda reminds me of the time he cut and pasted Chris Cardillo's apology thanking Atari Age, difference is Chris meant it and MK was an unmasked Scooby Do character.

• Like 3

How is it that his shenanigans over his "hobby" (2M$ LOL) have left his professional career unscathed so far?

Normally after such a royal series of screw ups some of it tends to bleed over the professional life as people start to paying attention, or simply word of mouth.

Unfortunately, retro gaming is a pretty small scene in the grand scheme of things. Even though his name is like Kryptonite within our little community, he can probably still step away from it and dust himself off and go about his business in "the real world" as usual.

Plus, the Mike Reality Distortion Field (MRDF) has proven to be remarkably resilient. Even after everything that's happened, he probably still has a full roster of friends who think he's such a terrific guy that they'll defend him against the whole world, ignoring every warning sign and letting him walk all over them until they can't stand it anymore ... at which point he'll simply blow them off and move on to the next circle of friends.

Mike may be a hopelessly incompetent "entrepreneur," but he's a world class wizard when it comes to making friends and using them and then sweet-talking his way out of the inevitable confrontations.

• Like 4

"For the record, once I was reminded that these were damaged goods on loan and never to be sold, (amazing that I was discovered, since I unfriended the owner some time ago and sold the stuff quietly), I eventually got around to refunding the money (after a failed attempt to bribe by way out of this). I may get around to returning the other stuff, but probably not."

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 6

"For the record, once I was reminded that these were damaged goods on loan and never to be sold, (amazing that I was discovered, since I unfriended the owner some time ago and sold the stuff quietly), I eventually got around to refunding the money (after a failed attempt to bribe by way out of this). I may get around to returning the other stuff, but probably not."

Quoted for truth ... and FOR THE RECORD!

• Like 5

Having received confirmation from the buyers that Mike Kennedy did refund them the money for the mini-arcades, Mike Kennedy lost the $125 he had hoped to enjoy from the sale of Willie's property. This also means that the $60 he donated to the GoFundMe is money out of his own pocket. I think Willie valued these repaired units at $15-20 each, so as far as their value goes Willie has been made reasonably whole. But it is obviously these machines meant much more to him than their monetary worth. How proud he must have been to have fixed these units and display them on his shelf. How happy he would have been to show them off at conventions and seen the surprised look on people's faces when he told or showed them what he had to do to make them work. And what if he wanted to have a quick gaming session and these units were nearest at hand? He will have to find something else now.

Ultimately, even if Mike Kennedy's donation was akin to paying Willie back, that does eliminate the fact that he stole. He got caught and for whatever reason felt he had to make some kind of amends. Willie is too nice, if I were him I would have filed a police report last week and made him suffer all the shame and humiliation and loss I could.

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 2

For the record. Once it was brought to my attention these were refurbished I immediately emailed the buyers and have since issued them both refunds. I also told Willie I would pay him for them but he insisted that he didn't want the money and to just refund the buyers. Over the many years Willie and I have given/traded many things back and forth and in addition, I've given him a platform to promote his Youtube channels and podcasts. When I give something to someone it is theirs to do whatever they please, no strings attached. Either way, this is an opportunity to make this right with Willie as I always intended once he contacted me privately about it."[/size][/background]

I know the first thing I think of when I get a gift is, "How much can I ebay this for?"

Edited by PlaysWithWolves
  • Like 6

Having received confirmation from the buyers that Mike Kennedy did refund them the money for the mini-arcades, Mike Kennedy lost the $125 he had hoped to enjoy from the sale of Willie's property. This also means that the $60 he donated to the GoFundMe is money out of his own pocket. I think Willie valued these repaired units at $15-20 each, so as far as their value goes Willie has been made reasonably whole. But it is obviously these machines meant much more to him than their monetary worth. How proud he must have been to have fixed these units and display them on his shelf. How happy he would have been to show them off at conventions and seen the surprised look on people's faces when he told or showed them what he had to do to make them work. And what if he wanted to have a quick gaming session and these units were nearest at hand? He will have to find something else now.

Ultimately, even if Mike Kennedy's donation was akin to paying Willie back, that does eliminate the fact that he stole. He got caught and for whatever reason felt he had to make some kind of amends. Willie is too nice, if I were him I would have filed a police report last week and made him suffer all the shame and humiliation and loss I could.

I was pretty happy to revive them, I kind of have a thing for fixing busted retro stuff trying to give it another life :) I am almost done restoring a Big Trak and Trailer to its full glory and just recently refurbed a ColecoVision and SNES that was headed to a garbage can.

The actual repair cost to the minicades was very minimal. I was not really concerned about the cost of them, just that I got them working and wanted to share them at shows and such. the 60 dollars Mike donated was very nice, I really appreciated it. The passive aggressive comment not so much. The way I see the donation is paying me for the Bandai Block out he still has of mine (and the Frogger, which is a repaired unit to).

So in the end, the buyers got their money back. One I heard from is using his minicade to make a mini mame machine and is sending me something from his retro collection (which I asked him if I can use as a prize for my Arcade USA channel which he said yes :)) The money I am getting from the gofundme campaign is slated to be donated to Extra Life, I am watching some of my favorite guys in the community that do charity streams so I can donate it to their campaign :)

Even though all this went down, I am very hurt to lose a friend. But am very grateful for all the friends I still have here and out in the community :)

• Like 7