IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Now as for Retro Magazine, they're selling it. I don't see anything wrong with that. I mean, I'd rather buy it from a hobo off a dark corner, or just flush 60 bucks down a toilet and wait for a console to pop out of it than order something from Mike K., but that's just me. I don't think there's anything special going on behind the courtains there.

Indeed. The RetroBit retailing is a legitimate business venture and there's no reason to say otherwise. Good luck to Mike and his customers. What I'm looking out for is him getting a few sales under his belt and coming back to AA/Social Media saying "Hey, when it comes to Retro Gaming, we're the best name in town! We're the good-ol'-boys, and we've got a deal for you!" And which point, it'll be time to remind everyone about the whole sordid saga.

• Like 4

GET.

ME.

OFF OF.

THE.

E-MAIL LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not care about the latest scheme to prop up the crappy magazine.

Goddamn it.

This marks at least my sixth "unsubscription" from the kickstarter updates or the Subscription Genius site or whatever. SICK OF IT. And why in the blue hell would you order that Retro-bit thing from Mike and not, say, Amazon? There's literally no benefit to doing business thru him.

• Like 7

Huh, I wonder what this could be?

a special product for a 3rd party accessory manufacturer for the NES Classic

I would think the NES Classic would stand on its own. It would be nice to have a comprehensive strategy guide for the included games, but it would be nice to have literally anyone else as a publisher for something like that.

He's really devaluing the digital issues by giving them away with everything he can think of. At this point, he might as well just give them away on the internet for free -- at least then he'd get some exposure. There's no point in giving it away to people who already bought your other stuff.

Indeed. The RetroBit retailing is a legitimate business venture and there's no reason to say otherwise. Good luck to Mike and his customers. What I'm looking out for is him getting a few sales under his belt and coming back to AA/Social Media saying "Hey, when it comes to Retro Gaming, we're the best name in town! We're the good-ol'-boys, and we've got a deal for you!" And which point, it'll be time to remind everyone about the whole sordid saga.

Is this his plan B for cornering the market?

If the new products from retro-bit is half decent and not outrageous in price, I will support one of our local mom and pop shops and get it there instead. Those d-pads on the controller don't look great, so I hope they play better than they look.

Here's a new RETRO Magazine Newsletter update (I moved it into a spoiler tag for those who don't want to see it, both because it's long and because it's Mike):

So he's relying on merchandise sales to "continue to help us propel the magazine forward and help us to get issues out on time." I thought the Kickstarter money was supposed to do that.

Took long enough to get issue #12 out the door. They've still yet to instill confidence in me to renew my subscription. A bi-monthly periodical should not take six months between issues. :ponder:

Also hooray for video pinball, a sub-genre I particularly enjoy collecting for! :grin:

• Like 1

WOW. The price is 60 bucks. I hope quality is good.

Interesting that a console with CAPCOM games and a 6 button controller wouldn't come with SFII. Not even "vanilla" (World Warrior). Probably too expensive for these guys, but even AT games got SFII in their crappy Mega Drives.

My guess is, now that Nintendo is going to make millions with their mini console, everybody and their mothers are going to try and get a piece of the pie with their own mini retro console. Too bad My guess includes the fact every single one of those clones are going to be crap.

I will be happy to be proven wrong about this, but I am not touching any of these consoles, including the NES mini, untill many reviews are out.

Now as for Retro Magazine, they're selling it. I don't see anything wrong with that. I mean, I'd rather buy it from a hobo off a dark corner, or just flush 60 bucks down a toilet and wait for a console to pop out of it than order something from Mike K., but that's just me. I don't think there's anything special going on behind the courtains there.

I guess it's $20 extra to add an HDMI port? :P Probably the reason no SFII is because AtGames got it first. Hopefully the emulation on the Retrobit is better than Atgames Genesis. Retrobit has been pretty good so far and IMO a step above Yobo and Hyperkin.

I speculate that the "special product" will be that crappy wired third party Wii controller, aka the chameleon exclusive controller.

Ugh. But that thing was wireless, with a microUSB connector for charging only. Such a thing wouldn't work on the NES MIni, which only has Wii plug ports, right?

My guess is something completely useless, like a dust cover or miniature "system organizer" to hold the system and its controllers -- as if the clutter of cartridges and zapper gun needed to be contained because that's how it was in ye olden times.

post-2410-0-70695600-1475199588_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My guess is, now that Nintendo is going to make millions with their mini console, everybody and their mothers are going to try and get a piece of the pie with their own mini retro console.

The RetroBit Generations was announced prior to the NES Mini and while the two products are very similar, I doubt RetroBit knew about the NES Mini when they made their console. I do agree that we'll probably see more consoles like it, but I see that as more of an inevitable evolution of Plug & Plays in general with Nintendo just getting in on an existing market and sparking more interest there because of it.

I doubt the RetroBit Generations is going to sell out this holiday season. People are going to be too in love with the NES Mini and will assume the RetroBit console is a knock off with an inferior list of games they don't recognize. Their press coverage has been abysmal, they really need to work on that because what they're doing now isn't nearly enough and sales figures will prove it. I sincerely hope they're not thinking Mike Kennedy is their ace-in-the-hole.

• Like 7

I doubt the RetroBit Generations is going to sell out this holiday season. People are going to be too in love with the NES Mini and will assume the RetroBit console is a knock off with an inferior list of games they don't recognize. Their press coverage has been abysmal, they really need to work on that because what they're doing now isn't nearly enough and sales figures will prove it. I sincerely hope they're not thinking Mike Kennedy is their ace-in-the-hole.

Seems like Nintendo entering this market may make it much bigger -- the RetroBit Generations and even the AtGames stuff could actually benefit from it. At least initially. The $40-60 mini retro console market is an established, but small, market that Nintendo could explode, making retailers more receptive to the other options in the category (and if they are smart, competitors will lure them with bigger margins).

GET.

ME.

OFF OF.

THE.

E-MAIL LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not care about the latest scheme to prop up the crappy magazine.

Goddamn it.

This marks at least my sixth "unsubscription" from the kickstarter updates or the Subscription Genius site or whatever. SICK OF IT. And why in the blue hell would you order that Retro-bit thing from Mike and not, say, Amazon? There's literally no benefit to doing business thru him.

BUT.

YOU.

MUST.

COLLECT.

THEM.

ALL.

BECAUSE.

HELL IS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 5

Yeah. I am 100% aware, and agree: Nintendo is the one jumping in the bandwagon. Cool to know retro bit was doing this before Nintendo. But what I mean is: Not that nintendo will bring this to people's attention, everybody will jump in too.

And the main point I am trying to make: From historical evidence, these plug and plays were crap. I see no reason why they would stop being crap. I don't need crap. I will fully support anyone who brings a good product of this sort to the market. I think these are awesome. But I don't care how many games, how many controllers or video output options you give me, if it's not good it's worthless. If it isn't at least as good as just emulating on an android box, what is the damned point?

The intellivision P&P seems to be the only one to have done it right so far. At least the only one I'm aware of.

• Like 1

Yeah. I am 100% aware, and agree: Nintendo is the one jumping in the bandwagon. Cool to know retro bit was doing this before Nintendo. But what I mean is: Not that nintendo will bring this to people's attention, everybody will jump in too.

And the main point I am trying to make: From historical evidence, these plug and plays were crap. I see no reason why they would stop being crap. I don't need crap. I will fully support anyone who brings a good product of this sort to the market. I think these are awesome. But I don't care how many games, how many controllers or video output options you give me, if it's not good it's worthless. If it isn't at least as good as just emulating on an android box, what is the damned point?

The intellivision P&P seems to be the only one to have done it right so far. At least the only one I'm aware of.

Leods, You may have a pretty good point. In the past though, I think I've lowered my expectations a bit for such things...And I've generally had fun with them.

But I'm suddenly seeing two possible red flags for the Retro Bit system. I'm not positive there are Arcade games there and not just home versions of Arcade games....Maybe they've put out better press releases since the ones I've seen which have been cryptic as far as games lists are concerned; At least as far as which version of the game we might be getting. Just put the word Genesis or Arcade after each game so we know! Why make this hard?

Looking at the controller I actually thought it looked kind of neat, until I remembered I bought one of their Retro Bit Genesis controllers and it was Awful! Now, I hate to talk bad about retro stuff in general (I don't want them to stop trying altogether), ...and I've bought a lot of cheap controllers over the years, and I'd say most at least basically work. Some I like quite a bit even if they're cheap.

But with this one, the D-Pad was offset just a little bit. Now it is possible I got a dud, I suppose, but on this controller to go Right, you had to press Right and down just a little bit and to go Left, you had to press Left and up just a little bit, so it really was awful and I haven't used it since.

To be honest I hope I'm wrong, I hope we get (at least some) glorious arcade games in a nice Plug and Play, and I hope these controllers are manufactured better than the one I bought from them...

Flojomojo, on 29 Sept 2016 - 7:39 PM, said:

Ugh. But that thing was wireless, with a microUSB connector for charging only. Such a thing wouldn't work on the NES MIni, which only has Wii plug ports, right?

My guess is something completely useless, like a dust cover or miniature "system organizer" to hold the system and its controllers -- as if the clutter of cartridges and zapper gun needed to be contained because that's how it was in ye olden times.

attachicon.gifIMG_5065.JPG

A Miniature System Organizer? Haha! Brilliant! Maybe the Miniature System Organizer could also come with a Miniature System Organizer Dust Cover...haha...Come on! That'd be Great! :rolling:

Custom RETRO-branded plastic sleeves to protect your valuable RETRO mag collection.

• Like 1