IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Mike's been involved in two or three scams since then. We really should rename this thread "Mike Kennedy's Failure Tracker." NORAD tracks Santa, we can track terrible ideas from a real-life Biff Tannen.

It's also good for general purpose skepticism over crowd funding and kick starting, let's not get it shut down by making it ALL about kicking one dude with a dream.

The more I think about it, the more a print magazine about retro games seems as poor a concept as a new cartridge-based system in 2016 does. Why paper? It's expensive and slow, best suited for collecting. If you're making something worth keeping, why a floppy magazine? If you're writing about old games, why not just about any other medium? Like video, or twitter microblog, or oil painting?

• Like 2

Before I head out for new year's eve I thought I would check up on this. So, here we are. A year ago we were coasting into the holidays with the announcement that the Coleco name had been applied to the third company to have the RVGS assets transferred to it and MK asking for all to be forgiven in the spirit of Christmas. Tearing out hair out while yelling to the world it was all fake. Retro Mag was in B&Ns and the media was regurgitating RVGS press releases without question. Allot of 1 year anniversaries are coming up, the NY Toy Fair fake, the DVR card disaster, and the eventual collapse of the whole thing. I am sure more laughs are to come. As mentioned last page, the whole time the media quoted tweets, press releases, and never looked one inch beneath the surface, even getting all the facts wrong in the end. No media member ever contacted anyone involved, and they didn't even gather basic source material! Really, not once did you see public docs from the businesses created published, not one basic of journalism that would have been expected.

But where are we now? The truth is out there. RetroGaming Roundup is healthier than ever and you bet we are proud of the guys that stepped up! RETRO is off the shelves and on Patreon. And most importantly, Coleco who was so unfairly beat up by this is staging their own triumphant return with their own expo! https://www.colecoexpo.com/

And Atari Age is still the forum of record.

• Like 11

Newsflash, new cartridge based system coming in 2017, and it ain't being put out by Mike Kennedy! :grin:

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/

Heh okay, I suppose those multi-GB flash modules are like cartridges of old, only thousands of times more capacious and not really what RVGS was going for.

We are about two weeks out from the big reveal of the Switch. I'm somewhere between 0% (it lands like a wet fart in the marketplace) and 100% (buy on sight) about this, which is still a hell of a lot better than Retro VGS Shameleon ever was or could have been.

Happy new year!

• Like 3

The more I think about it, the more a print magazine about retro games seems as poor a concept as a new cartridge-based system in 2016 does. Why paper? It's expensive and slow, best suited for collecting. If you're making something worth keeping, why a floppy magazine? If you're writing about old games, why not just about any other medium? Like video, or twitter microblog, or oil painting?

I dunno. I mean, I finally just started subscribing to Retro Gamer after years of just buying random issues here and there. I love Hardcore Gaming 101 and buy any collection they come out in both print and digital, etc. Personally, I really enjoy reading (and yeah, collecting) magazines still, even tho' they take up all of the space. I enjoy the permanence; you never know when that twitter microblog you love might go the way of the do do.

• Like 1

I dunno. I mean, I finally just started subscribing to Retro Gamer after years of just buying random issues here and there. I love Hardcore Gaming 101 and buy any collection they come out in both print and digital, etc. Personally, I really enjoy reading (and yeah, collecting) magazines still, even tho' they take up all of the space. I enjoy the permanence; you never know when that twitter microblog you love might go the way of the do do.

I don't think anyone is saying there's no market for print, it's just that it's a limited market. If you're talking something relatively niche like retro gaming or computing, then you're talking a niche within the print niche. I'm not sure the average person really cares that much about paper anymore, at least here in the US.

Edited by BillLoguidice

CU Podcast... talking about ol' MK and the Patreon Retro mag stuff... mentions and reads some of the posts here.

You can tell Pat Contri is pissed about this. He's "never gonna let up on the gas" for this, because of the crappy way he was treated as a writer for the magazine. Plenty of other people in this thread were burned by the bad vibrations of MK, and we've heard from them here.

I'd love a "Lost in La Mancha" behind-the-scenes book or documentary about this stuff, and unlike how I feel about RETRO year two and onward, I'd kick in money to see it. I wouldn't even mind if MK got a little of the cash, so long as he did not have product or business decision-making authority over the project.

Is anyone planning to make something good out of this shit roast?

• Like 3

As angry as pat is, he's apparently showing some restraint. He's mentioned in passing several other incriminating items that would put Kennedy in a bad light, but doesn't want to resort to out-and-out mudslinging.

That is, if we believe Pat, and I personally do.

• Like 1

CU Podcast... talking about ol' MK and the Patreon Retro mag stuff... mentions and reads some of the posts here.

I'm so glad I posted that email from Retro for the world to see and hear thanks to Pat. Also the dogshit rant a few posts above mine is even funnier hearing it read out loud by someone else than the first time I read it. :rolling:

At some point MK will realize there is more money in the shitstorm story behind the RetroVGS/Chameleon than there will ever be in his Retro mag. I mean, look at this thread.

It's just a matter of time, folks. The documentary/book is coming.

• Like 4

At some point MK will realize there is more money in the shitstorm story behind the RetroVGS/Chameleon than there will ever be in his Retro mag. I mean, look at this thread.

It's just a matter of time, folks. The documentary/book is coming.

What better way for Mike to tell the world his horrifying story of being scammed by the nefarious Sean "Lee" Robinson, while trying to save gaming as we know it!?

CARTRIDGES!

• Like 2

I'd love to see a documentary about the Chameleon, but done with pixel art and text stuffed inside a SNES cart! Ideally it could rhyme like a Doctor Seuss book, but OK now I'm just being crazy...

How you'd watch it could be up to you. Put it in a SNES (Make sure ya call it a SNEZZ) or a Retro Duo, RetroN 5 or Retro Freak, DL it to an emulator or Everdrive jobber, or maybe throw it in your own Jaguar (after doing the Chameleon Conversion of course)...

A fella can dream haha!...

CARTRIDGES!

It's also good for general purpose skepticism over crowd funding and kick starting, let's not get it shut down by making it ALL about kicking one dude with a dream.

I'd like it to be said that you guys crack me up over here...And this is often a flagship thread!

And every once in a while I see something crazy enough on here to really make me think!

For example, A video game magazine done with OIL PAINTINGS? I can honestly say Sign me up right now! Not only would I go... to the art gallery (I assume), But I'd make a day of it! I'd be the guy that brought beer and we'd all have a Grand Ol Time!

• Like 2

Yep, haven't viewed this thread in MONTHS...thanks to Pat for bring home to this thread! I guess he thinks he (Mike) can pull a Nintendo Force comeback with Patreon.

Edited by SumerNivek
  • Like 1