IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Cartridges are back! No Kickstarter or Jaguar shells needed.

original.jpg

So they've got recycled loot from the janky Retrobit Generations to play on their janky Retrobit clones with HDMI converter (or presumably real hardware). Also where's my Alfred Chicken? I seem to miss where they included it on the early retail models.

And it may not be kosher, but this "150-in-1" cart is way better value for the money:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Top-quality-72-Pins-8-bit-Game-Cartridge-150-in-1-with-game-Rockman-1-2/1167007_32378136051.html

The problem with documenting the whole saga in a book or on film is that unless it is done right, and either with or by those in the know, it may well fall into the trap of lazy journalism that we've seen from lots of the third party coverage on the topic (though by no means all).

There is a great story to tell here, aside from the technical and gaming aspect that we all appreciate, where one man goes from "hero" to "villain" in pursuit of that good old evil, money, your money. At one point $2,000,000 of it.

Any telling of the story would have to tell that transition and the reasons behind it. It would also have to tell the instances of history repeating itself and of pattern forming behaviour that mainly Pipercub has talked about in this thread; i.e. the appropriation of ideas, the diminishing of people's contributions once they become surplus to requirements, the multiple instances of asset stripping, the promises of payments in shares that are later deemed worthless when it comes time to buy them back and of course all of those people under the bus.

With that in mind, there will be a book on the saga, the whole saga, and it will be an official book based on official sources and endorsed by those involved. It would be ironic to crowd fund it but at this stage it doesn't require any funding, it may do in the future, but at present this is still undecided. Currently, it just needs writing, and that is what is currently being done.

As for a film, who knows, but as Pipercub has said, there are people in this thread with the skills to make one. It would make sense to base it on the book, or an adaptation of it, and if the right people are interested it might happen but right now there is a book in progress.

There is no timescale on it and it won't be rushed.

Whether people feel it is no longer relevant when it is complete is up to them, but the writing process is an interesting and a therapeutic one and it is interesting how some early events and small details take on a new light when considered as part of the big picture. It's also interesting to look at the phrasing of interview responses, even on earlier projects.

Now, if somebody were to capture this whole thread and archive it, in a single document, that would be very helpful and worthy of a credit in the book..............

This thread ( along with the one preceding it) is a book. With hundreds of authors! Getting permission from all contributors to put it in book form would be a daunting task, however. :twisted:

This thread ( along with the one preceding it) is a book. With hundreds of authors! Getting permission from all contributors to put it in book form would be a daunting task, however. :twisted:

I haven't looked, but wouldn't be surprised if the terms and conditions for the forum said that anything posted becomes copyright /owned by AA, so you would only need their permission to reproduce it, rather than the contributors

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I haven't looked, but wouldn't be surprised if the terms and conditions for the forum said that anything posted becomes copyright /owned by AA, so you would only need their permission to reproduce it, rather than the contributors

http://atariage.com/legal.php

I see no Facebook-style "everything you post here belongs to us" dickishness in these legal statements, it's all about copyrights, linking, and not being responsible for errors.

Speaking for myself, everything I say here is fair game for re-use and duplication. It's not as if I cruise AtariAge to strike it rich. I would expect just about everyone else to feel the same way.

With the possible exception of member Parrothead. Though there's a lot to be said for Shatneresque self-parody.

• Like 4

I think what UK is getting at is that his project will be more centered around the behind the scenes and first hand accounts that were never referenced once by the "media" that I can recall, utilizing primary source material (official documents, legal filings, interviews with participants, photos, etc.) rather than using secondary sources or reactions to the events. That said, a hugely pivotal moment in the story (DVR card ID) could not be told without the community here being represented as a first hand participant rather than a reactionary entity to events, no doubt the role this forum constitutes primary source material . I am sure the details can be worked out in crediting the forum and those in the discussion. A huge help, unless I am speaking out of turn for UK, is that anyone who has any primary source material that can disclose could contribute greatly by sending it along to him.

• Like 6

Wow, good to hear about that book project! Hey Pipercub, does that have anything to do with that comment on Jason Scott's Facebook where you mentioned that he's gonna be helping out with archiving the saga? Because that would of course be the bomb. Then he only needs to finish three documentaries and he's free to produce the Chameleon movie;-)

• Like 1

Exactly. The key to an accurate and concise telling of the whole journey is to be based on first hand knowledge and official documents, rather than opinion. Not that opinion won't play a part, but it will be minimal compared to fact and matters of record.

A lot of the story is known and a lot of it isn't and certainly isn't collated together, even here.

I would surmise that anything posted here is in the public domain but so far i haven't had to draw on any of it. All sources will be named and permission sought where necessary, and Scott is correct, if anybody has official documents or first hand material it would be appreciated if you could forward it on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Now, if somebody were to capture this whole thread and archive it, in a single document, that would be very helpful and worthy of a credit in the book..............

I think Albert would be the guy for that, it's probably best done from the server side.

I got the first 160 pages into this PDF file using the Chrome extension PageZipper, but it slows down a LOT after 100 pages. You could batch them and then stitch the resulting PDFs back together. Unfortunately many of the videos such as the RVGS "sizzle reel" and Carlsen's weird "sneak peek" are no longer online. SD&R might have snagged them though.

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations? - Modern Gaming - AtariAge Forums.pdf

Someone else in the thread was able to run statistics on post counts and likes and stuff, and might have some insight on other ways to analyze what's here. I think it was member galax, apologies if my memory is incorrect.

• Like 4

Exactly. The key to an accurate and concise telling of the whole journey is to be based on first hand knowledge and official documents, rather than opinion. Not that opinion won't play a part, but it will be minimal compared to fact and matters of record.

Mr. Kennedy talked and wrote a LOT about this. It's a pity the Facebook promises are probably all gone except for what was screenshotted and posted here.

• Like 1

I think what UK is getting at is that his project will be more centered around the behind the scenes and first hand accounts that were never referenced once by the "media" that I can recall, utilizing primary source material (official documents, legal filings, interviews with participants, photos, etc.) rather than using secondary sources or reactions to the events. That said, a hugely pivotal moment in the story (DVR card ID) could not be told without the community here being represented as a first hand participant rather than a reactionary entity to events, no doubt the role this forum constitutes primary source material . I am sure the details can be worked out in crediting the forum and those in the discussion. A huge help, unless I am speaking out of turn for UK, is that anyone who has any primary source material that can disclose could contribute greatly by sending it along to him.

And this is why I won't be answering any more questions. Just for the record.

• Like 2

I have the 1st sizzle reel, Mike's trek to get the molds (!), the Kickstar... er... IndieGoGo pitch video and the COLECO sizzle reel version, if SD&R doesn't. If those are needed, I can always upload them to my YouTube channel or elsewhere, if necessary. Nico still has the John Carlsen thing on his, I believe.

The biggest piece most of us are missing of the various online media is Gamester's first gross shilling interview with you know who.

• Like 3

I think Albert would be the guy for that, it's probably best done from the server side.

I got the first 160 pages into this PDF file using the Chrome extension PageZipper, but it slows down a LOT after 100 pages. You could batch them and then stitch the resulting PDFs back together. Unfortunately many of the videos such as the RVGS "sizzle reel" and Carlsen's weird "sneak peek" are no longer online. SD&R might have snagged them though.

attachicon.gifColeco Chameleon .... hardware speculations? - Modern Gaming - AtariAge Forums.pdf

Someone else in the thread was able to run statistics on post counts and likes and stuff, and might have some insight on other ways to analyze what's here. I think it was member galax, apologies if my memory is incorrect.

Archive.org may or may not be of help. They typically don't archive anything large filesize like videos, other than primarily http and images however.

Also didn't Galax start the "AtariAge Hater Brigader's" club, based on the 25 members who had the top post counts in this thread? I was number 3 at one point, LOL! :P

Okay nevermind, it was Flojomojo herself who started the conversation (only participants can access said link):

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=members&module=messaging&section=view&do=showConversation&topicID=392158