IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

So they're finally showing what this system has to offer. So far, it doesn't seem to be anything that we haven't already had elsewhere for a long time. I mean, I love the Intellivision—I truly do—but do we really need those games on yet another platform, especially one with such an unsuitable controller?

I also think it's worth remembering a few points that the CUPodcast guys made during their last RVGS follow-up before it morphed into the "Coleco Chameleon": since the team behind it spent all their goodwill the first time around, anything they do in the future will not be easily accepted, even if they do somehow manage to produce a valid product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVFoHkpFJzE&t=6m12s

(Jump to about 6:12)

• Like 2

If that isn't knock off of the MCC 216 FPGA based system as a SOAC then I will eat my hat, pull the top half of the shell and there will be a single chip with a few ancillary parts. And I bet the designer banged this together on the cheap and is capable of much better work, it is just way to obvious.

• Like 8

Oh okay. Looks like i missed it. Gonna have to watch this...

WHAT!!?! Seriously!? Really, are they serious!? Of those 8-bit games as the beginning every single one of the Coleco ones are on the ColecoVision Flashback! Same goes for the Intellivision games, and those consoles can be bought for basically coffemoney and you get an authentic controller for them, for better or worse.

I am actually stumped for words. Literally. Yeah i get some people will think its cool and all but COME ON! Anyone with a Flashback, an emulator or the original hardware of course can play any of these games.

Truth to be told i among others foresaw something like this both here and in the old thread, but to just take stuff from the same box of games that went into the Flashbacks is beyond lame. Seriously.

While the 16-bit games sure looked cool, i have admittedly not played any of them but as they are homebrews and they been around some time they are hardy exclusive.

No 32-bit games? No new indie titles? I am baffled. I dont want to sound like a hater or deride this project unnecessarily harshly but this is not in any way exciting, ground breaking, innovative or creative by any stretch of the imagination. I was actually holding a small candle of hope for this.

brb just gonna playtest them cool Chameleon launch titles on my friggin 30$ Flashback.

• Like 1

That whole video could have been made using just emulators. There is no hardware shown, and while those 16 bit titles were not familiar to me, if I go GTS, they can be found, so there are no original games either.

Dorke and YMP: https://www.pikointeractive.com. You can get the cart now, and with one of their other games, they are trying to get them on Steam.

Legend was released in 1994 http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/legend-. Get your used copy on amazon or eBay.

Iron Commando only saw a Japanese release, but is also an original release.

Jim Power and the Lost Dimension. Also released on the SNES way back (and now on Steam as well) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Power:_The_Lost_Dimension_in_3-D

By GTS, Battle Brave Saga seems to be a series of Genesis/Mega drive games.

Sydney Hunter: Looks to be in progress for a physical release for the NES/SNES, and they did make the KS goal for a release on the Wii U eShop (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/439982171/new-snes-game-sydney-hunter-and-the-caverns-of-dea). Wonder if it is already on the eShop....

I am going to stop there. As others have said, the beginning of the movie shows stuff that is already on Flashback consoles, and I don't know of they were trying to wow us with the 16 bit titles, but most of them already exist either as an original release, a home-brew that has been out, or a discovered prototype. There is nothing new here. Yawn. If I was really interested in some of those home-brews, I would just get the cart or on Steam if available or when it becomes available.

Edited by cybercylon
  • Like 3

Okay. So basically this is the recipe as for now: Smash one ColecoVision and one Intellivision Flashback together, add ARM hardware running 16-bit emulator or FPGA, put those inside a Jaguar shell painted with Colecovision logo and plug 3rd party USB Wii U controller into the front. Add cartridge port working by hitherto unknown means.

Put in box with cool artwork and charge between 150-200$ for the lot.

Cool.

• Like 2

Yeah I noticed the Intellivision and Colecovision titles. Basically the same ones they had licensed for the flashbacks. I could see the Flashback games worth buying on cart as 60 game compilations, but not as individual titles. The 16-point Intellivision disk can easily be duplicated with an analog stick using an inner circular or hexadecagonal deadzone. Keypads are another issue.

As for the 16-bit homebrews, I would prefer buying an actual SNES or Genesis cartridge version as opposed to a Cameleon cart with VC style embedded ROM +emulator. I certainly hope they have more to offer than simply an proprietary cart emulation system.

think that's why they disabled the youtube comments. I'm sure they would have been amusing so its a shame they did that.

although, i looked at their facebook page, and their fans seem to be pretty happy about the video.

Edited by mickcris

Well, if it is an MCC-216 or alike AND the Intellivision games are in 1 cart AND the Coleco games are in 1 cart (I mean 1 cart with all the retro stuff in it, per console it's fine) AND they manage to sell it for 99$ AND it's HDMI then it wouldn't be too bad.

If all the INTV games are on one cart and ditto with the Coleco ones than ya, that would be ok. Thing is if it's $30 for each cart that is the same price as the whole flashback system they have also been recently offered on. Not to mention the low clear out prices on those flashbacks, especially the coleco one after they sold so poorly.

think that's why they disabled the youtube comments. I'm sure they would have been amusing so its a shame they did that.

although, i looked at their facebook page, and their fans seem to be pretty happy about the video.

They've banned nearly every detractor from their heavily moderated FB page. I'm pretty sure there aren't any AA people left. :P

• Like 5

That's more like it ...they claim "full blown FPGA and a great price point," and that the Colecovision and Intellivision games will be on compilation cartridges. So now it's down to pricing, execution, and distribution.

Since they insist on using physical media, they've set themselves up for all the hassles of manufacturing, shipping, and high prices associated with them. I suspect they're going to make flash cartridges for vintage systems look like a real bargain, but we shall see!

The 2014 Flashback releases of the old home games were imperfect (especially Tower of Doom, which was shown here) so it will be interesting to see the first review impressions when these are playable.

Their Soviet-style censorship (ok, "moderation") of critical comments on Facebook, and not allowing comments on this Youtube video is still a massive turnoff for me.

• Like 5

$30 a cart for the same library as flashbacks (one per system) and common video output supporting HDMI is not too shabby. Especially if you could plug other controllers with USB.

Do you think they'd bother to code in support for the original (and flashback) controllers via a USB adapter? That would almost be worth it if the games are super accurate. Of course they'd better get it absolutely right the first time, since there would be no patching the cartridge later -- also locking in the scarcity of supported hardware. This needs to be significantly better than software emulation.
  • Like 2

I am satisfied, but not impressed. 3 out of 5 stars. My next question is about cartridge design, specifically endlabels.

I could take it or leave it at this point.

With the Atari Jaguar cartridge design, there are no pesky end labels to lose or have peel off! Durable cartridges, without end labels to be discolored by sunlight or food spills, are designed for a lifetime of play! Translucent rainbow colors coming soon, collect them all!
  • Like 1

Do you think they'd bother to code in support for the original (and flashback) controllers via a USB adapter? That would almost be worth it if the games are super accurate. Of course they'd better get it absolutely right the first time, since there would be no patching the cartridge later -- also locking in the scarcity of supported hardware. This needs to be significantly better than software emulation.

Where the ColecoVision Flashback is concerned, AtGames didn't get it right. "The Heist" runs way too slowly and "Antarctic Adventure" is also rather slow. There are several games on the CVFB that have issues, like the music and sound effects not sounding quite right. We can only hope the Chameleon will run the games more correctly.

• Like 2

With the Atari Jaguar cartridge design, there are no pesky end labels to lose or have peel off! Durable cartridges, without end labels to be discolored by sunlight or food spills, are designed for a lifetime of play! Translucent rainbow colors coming soon, collect them all!

That's what I'm expecting, but we'll see.

I'm one step above "total skeptic" and two steps below "cautiously optimistic," There's not enough information yet, and I still remember the first campaign...