IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

While there are still allot of serious issues out there, future evaluation of the legal standing of the 3 transfers of hardware and proprietary information, by no less than 5 people in the chain, and of course the prototypes and all that this as actually taken a very curious turn for me. I got off the plane and saw all the latest on the SNESinaJAG and I suddenly had a new project. I love props and replicas of rare things, I mentioned I have a full sized T800 in my kitchen, an Apollo space suit in the racer area of the arcade, and various things along those lines. It became clear to me that I had to build a super accurate replica of the trade show prototype. Now this is a great irony as I was the original designer of the RVGS hardware, to be building a replica of the Nth version of it but why not? I just want to have that sitting in the collection so I took stock of what I had which was most of it and I ordered the rest in about an hour and soon enough I will present it here. So far the case is trimmed and the original artwork removed, SNES will be stripped next.

Edited by Pipercub
  • Like 11

While there are still allot of serious issues out there, future evaluation of the legal standing of the 3 transfers of hardware and proprietary information, by no less than 5 people in the chain, and of course the prototypes and all that this as actually taken a very curious turn for me. I got off the plane and saw all the latest on the SNESinaJAG and I suddenly had a new project. I love props and replicas of rare things, I mentioned I have a full sized T800 in my kitchen, an Apollo space suite in the racer area of the arcade, and various things along those lines. It became clear to me that I had to build a super accurate replica of the trade show prototype. Now this is a great irony as I was the original designer of the RVGS hardware, to be building a replica of the Nth version of it but why not? I just want to have that sitting in the collection so I took stock of what I had which was most of it and I ordered the rest in about an hour and soon enough I will present it here. So far the case is trimmed and the original artwork removed, SNES will be stripped next.

Awesome.

On a side note you may have to remove the SNES mini heat spreader, I replaced my 7805 linear regulator with this http://www.ebay.com/itm/261243604047

which basically runs cold (without the heat spreader I believe the fitting can be made even easier, can't say if the CC gang did that or not).

Edited by phoenixdownita

Awesome.

On a side note you may have to remove the SNES mini heat spreader, I replaced my 7805 linear regulator with this http://www.ebay.com/itm/261243604047

which basically runs cold (without the heat spreader I believe the fitting can be made easier, can't say if the CC gang did that or not).

Haha. they could not even wire up an LED. im sure the heat sink is still on theirs. :)

• Like 8

About the main topic ... HW spec(ulations) and assuming they can crawl their way to the beginning of the KS without addressing any concern by next week or whereabouts.

[i had trouble writing the previous sentence with a straight face but let's plow on for now]

What do you think the HW to be?

There's plenty of cheap ARM SoCs, which one would you think is a good candidate? Allwinner H8 octacore anyone?

256MB RAM? 512MB RAM? 1GB RAM? 2GB RAM?

What kind of "real" cart connector would they use? I bet something like a PCIe connector seems reasonable (as kevtris pointed out, it's cheap and aplenty and he seem to definitely know his stuff inside out so I'd take his suggestion and just run with it).

From this link http://cfile3.uf.tistory.com/image/1668D21E4A793AA1229E75 the x8 or x16 seems to have all the pins they need to even attempt AES/MVS back compat :roll: (AES has 200 pins totals, MVS has 240)

EDIT: nope, PCIe x16 only reaches 164 pins total ... too bad, no AES/MVS on the CC :mad:

Edited by phoenixdownita

I'm literally to busy at the moment cleaning my bathroom to do this.

Do you have GiMP or Photoshop? Can u put that image in a photo editor and jack up the gamma... you may see controller ports under there.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HOLY SHIT! I just realized he has electrical tape on the FRONT of the console as well!!

Check it out:

coleco-toy-fair-1-9-1280x853.jpg

EDIT: Also, there's a tiny bit of tape on the tip before the Chameleon logo. Maybe the mold is damaged?? Why would it be taped right there?

Why does he have tape on the front?

Because there's a big honkin' Atari logo on it!

3173_20_atari-jaguar-cd.jpg.png

• Like 1

While there are still allot of serious issues out there, future evaluation of the legal standing of the 3 transfers of hardware and proprietary information, by no less than 5 people in the chain, and of course the prototypes and all that this as actually taken a very curious turn for me. I got off the plane and saw all the latest on the SNESinaJAG and I suddenly had a new project. I love props and replicas of rare things, I mentioned I have a full sized T800 in my kitchen, an Apollo space suit in the racer area of the arcade, and various things along those lines. It became clear to me that I had to build a super accurate replica of the trade show prototype. Now this is a great irony as I was the original designer of the RVGS hardware, to be building a replica of the Nth version of it but why not? I just want to have that sitting in the collection so I took stock of what I had which was most of it and I ordered the rest in about an hour and soon enough I will present it here. So far the case is trimmed and the original artwork removed, SNES will be stripped next.

How will you be hard wiring your controllers? You gonna actually do it or use a shitty SNES controller hooked into a controller extension as they appeared to have done?

• Like 1

Since the cover was not lifted I will have to use artistic interpretation, my best guess is that they were just extensions plugged into the SNES board so I will see how that fits first.

This is too great. Be sure you miss a little spot on the SNES mini board seeping out the back left so a little bit of the real color shows through just like the original.

• Like 2

Crazy idea: why not just put Jag innards in the Coleco Chameleon shell, and get rid of all that cludging together of SNESs, etc? Then their Coleco Chameleon can run Jag carts natively, and there would be a whole lot less black electrical tape used. Problem/solved!

These RVGS guys need to look forward, not backwards! That will solve their problems.

• Like 2

I think along the same vertically-oriented lines of the dental device above, that the jag shell could easily be repurposed into a shower mirror/soap dish combo.

A shame that's not one of the chameleon backer tiers...

It might be a bit over the talent level of the "engineers" involved, though. They'd have to use waterproof tape, for sure.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I'm literally to busy at the moment cleaning my bathroom to do this.

Do you have GiMP or Photoshop? Can u put that image in a photo editor and jack up the gamma... you may see controller ports under there.

Doesn't look like we can see the board. There could be something going on with the left cord though.

RVGS_gamma_console.png

Looks like what I just got a sec to do. Brightness up to 1.60- ...

There's a SNES shaped indentation below the left controller port in the electric tape under the case, but, that should be to far forward to be the SNES Jr board. a non starter.

Doesn't look like we can see the board. There could be something going on with the left cord though.

RVGS_gamma_console.png

I'm wondering if they glued some USB ports to the front or something. Looks like there are some pins under the right cable. It looks like something was added to the exterior as the tape doesn't look flush.

Let's not forget that the Jag bottom shell has vents right about that position (so we may be looking at reflected light shining through)

consoleBottom.jpg

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 5

Let's remember that the Jag bottom shell has vents right about that position (so we may be looking at reflected light shining through)

consoleBottom.jpg

You are correct. I was seeing the vents. :)

Maybe they just had a little bit of tape left on the roll and figured they might as well use it up.

Edited by mickcris

Let's remember that the Jag bottom shell has vents about that position (so we may be looking at reflected light shining thru)

I was about to say, I'm looking at my white Jag shell right now, and viewed from the angle shown in the picture, those slots cut into the bottom would show through the way they do in the picture, especially if the shell is empty toward the front (which it would be if you put an SNES Jr. board in there). It does kind of look like the pins at the bottom of a USB connector, but the Jaguar port cutouts are too big.

It looks like they covered the entire front face in the controller area with tape, to hide the Atari logo and port labels left over from the Jaguar, with holes cut into the tape for the controller ports. The horizontal strip of tape along the bottom (looks like it's about a quarter of an inch thick) is probably sticking out like that because the console shell is too curved in the area below the ports for the tape to hold, and it just peeled off on its own. The old roll of electrical tape that Mike bought from the convenience store across the street from Toy Fair probably wasn't quite sticky enough.

(I wonder if that shell was actually molded in black plastic, or if it's a white shell that was painted black. It almost looks as if the white plastic on the inside is showing through a bit, or maybe it's just a bright light reflecting back.)

• Like 2

Cool wihtout a fan is in reference to the fake RVGS prototype video where he says it runs cool without a fan, its a meme on our show now: http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2015/roundup093_2015.10.php

Just popped in my mind.

The Jag shell molds that Mike is using are from the dental company, as such they are lacking the back panel (which is instead present in the original Jag shell)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233486-translucent-jaguar-console-pre-orders/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233486-translucent-jaguar-console-pre-orders/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3194283 (issue with the back panel)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233486-translucent-jaguar-console-pre-orders/page-6?do=findComment&comment=3197424 (no back panel)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233486-translucent-jaguar-console-pre-orders/page-12?do=findComment&comment=3216358 (confirmed no back panel)

So if you do it yourself either find a Jag case on eBay (likely from the same mold) or you'll have to cut out the back.

Edited by phoenixdownita