IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Hey Guys, (Cross post with Digitalpress btw)

I think I have a few things to point out.

First of all, I think this time around they have a better chance to make the console happen with the Coleco Brand and the slash of costs.

Anyways, Mike has approached to us again, first time he wanted game from us and then after he never posted them on the indiegogo (thank God actually)
He reached out again, and we are going to give him another chance as we believe the project, if successful, could be cool.

I think they want to target more the general audience that appreciates retro games. But who knows who is going to respond more this time around. It seems that the retro gaming scene feels very speculative which there is nothing wrong with that.

Anyways, I've decided to go to NY for the Toy show and actually see the hardware; I've orally agreed to some stuff for the Coleco, but will not give final yes until we have it all signed in paper. I've seen their contract and is solid.

I will report back with pictures and my insights after the NY trip. I already have the passes for the Tradeshow, just need to get my flight and hotel room.

For what I've heard from Mike, if they follow the plan they have, it would be very likely to be successful on the Kickstarter scale. After that of course, Content will rule; No new/exclusive content, will eventually kill the console. So they really will need to lure developers and offer them very good deals + cash to have them develop.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 6

They added 2 new members to the team http://www.retrovgs.com/team.html and looks like the web page was renamed from Retro VGS to COLECO Chameleon. Some people on there face book page seem to think he will skip the kickstarter and have the system ready after February 16.

Who thinks that besides you coming and telling us? Nothing was announced on their FB page and unless the comments have a conversation going on that I can't be bothered to dig through...this is seeded information. Cherry picked just for us here at AA. I'm flattered, really.

But the rabbit hole doesn't end there! All mention of Kickstarter or crowd funding has been removed from the website. Also, the "Team" tab on the website has been completely removed. The only way to view it is through your direct link. So, my original theory that you are 'the other half' of a member of the team flourishes out once again.

Why tell us here though?

• Like 4

Well, i guess i'll have to admit that i am actually looking forwards to the fair when i'm actually going to see the system as it seems like they really got some solid hardware going. Come what may.

But still, The games bring the dollars, and the hardware bring the games, and i am mighty interested to see what this thing is powered with and can ACTUALLY run. If it is just a random ARM that i can run on any equally random chinese Android ARM device i will be very disappointed and leave in the same indifference i have had until now.

If it is something actually impressive they have a buyer right here.

• Like 1

Who thinks that besides you coming and telling us? Nothing was announced on their FB page and unless the comments have a conversation going on that I can't be bothered to dig through...this is seeded information. Cherry picked just for us here at AA. I'm flattered, really.

But the rabbit hole doesn't end there! All mention of Kickstarter or crowd funding has been removed from the website. Also, the "Team" tab on the website has been completely removed. The only way to view it is through your direct link. So, my original theory that you are 'the other half' of a member of the team flourishes out once again.

Why tell us here though?

Sorry, I have no idea who they are, are they a big part of the game industry ? Wanted to know if anyone here knows them but i guess not.

Don't get smart with Mike, asshole, he has carts. :)

I wasn't trying to be a jerk; just (re)stating it matter-of-factly.

Considering how RVGS went, I'd have liked to seen some playable hardware first and then game announcements. I think that would be a big, "hey, we screwed up on the first campaign, so now we're laying out our cards for all to see" moment. I guess they're still worried someone would snatch up their idea, or something.

• Like 1

I don't know about this nanocade thing. It might be ok for midgets or kids. I would'a liked the form factor and size when I played in bed under the covers.. As a grup? No. Its stink rises like any of these emulation projects using kickstarter as a retail front.

Just build a PC and stuff it with roms and emulators. you come out miles ahead.

Interesting news, Phil Adam is now back on the team, he was one of us that took part in the early meetings to explain to Socal how to turn his idea into a product.

.... I don't think the news was supposed to go out that soon, the http://www.retrovgs.com/team.html is a 404 right now, while thanks to google cache http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Yc0L1FBWSkIJ:www.retrovgs.com/team.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us we can still see the members.

Or maybe they are adding even more members .... a whole roster of big wig from yesteryear video game companies ... wouldn't that be something .... united at last under the Coleco brand.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Buttons are by no means arcade quality. Looking from the side it reeks of cheap build.
photo-1024x768.jpg

Holy effing cow, that thing is tiny! :ponder:

I don't know about this nanocade thing. It might be ok for midgets or kids. I would'a liked the form factor and size when I played in bed under the covers.. As a grup? No. Its stink rises like any of these emulation projects using kickstarter as a retail front.

Just build a PC and stuff it with roms and emulators. you come out miles ahead.

Agreed 100% I think you would like my Porta Pi Mame machine better...

raspberry_pi_arcade__dk_playing_dk_by_st

http://stardust4ever.deviantart.com/art/Raspberry-Pi-Arcade-DK-playing-DK-535882030

http://www.retrobuiltgames.com/diy-kits-shop/porta-pi-arcade-wood-kit-hd/

Or maybe they are adding even more members .... a whole roster of big wig from yesteryear video game companies ... wouldn't that be something .... united at last under the Coleco brand.

In the end, of course, it comes down to product, and software. The best dream team doesn't amount to much without it. Think of all those "written by committee" Hollywood projects that have multiple big name producers or writers that don't amount to much.

The only "big name personality" associated with the original Colecovision was Donkey Kong.

• Like 1

Alright, we heard in December that games and developers for the Chameleon would be unveiled troughout January, to pump up the hype for the prototype unveil at the Toy fair in February.
It is now January 15, half the month has passed and we haven't seen any game teaser or reveal, nothing.

Nothing on their facebook since December 18. Nothing on their web page except the controversy/mystery of their team and on Twitter we find only a, in the circumstances of things, quite funny tweet from January 8th saying they are looking for devs who want to put games on catridges: https://twitter.com/RETROVGS/status/685890327115255808

I don't want to point fingers, but could it perhaps be that they really didn't have anything to show off to begin with and just now they are looking for devs to show off some games before january is up? :grin: :grin: :grin:

• Like 3