IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Given this delay, it's possible that Mike finally saw the light, and realized that going through with the Kickstarter after that Toy Fair fiasco (and the subsequent Facebook censorship) would be akin to painting a target on himself and screaming "shoot me!" And thus, decided it wasn't worth the headache and (further) humiliation if (more like "when") Kickstarter boots them off the site, after getting flooded with the inevitable reports of fraud. It's wishful thinking, sure, but at least it'd finally be over... Until they reveal that sweet deal that Indiegogo and/or GoFundMe made them, of course.

I mean, I won't say I'm not disappointed. I had a pizza ordered and everything...

• Like 3

I don't see this as a significant advantage for Mike, since once the KS is live, people will be reporting him left and right. He'll get dozens, if not hundreds, of reports the first day. KS will of course have to review that, if they care at all, which I think they do.

If Mike takes this live, there is no way around defending his prototype to Kickstarter. I think that's the main reason it's not live right now. The only question in my mind is if Mike made the call himself or had a lawyer tape his mouth shut.

Mike thought he could trick people into believing the prototype was real, and then use the money to actually make it work after it was funded. Maybe he actually believes in this project and he doesn't want to admit he needs more time and money. Or maybe he just wants to take the money and run. It doesn't matter either way, because he is scamming people either way.

I don't think Mike needs a lawyer to tell him its not a good idea to defraud people at the Toy Fair. If he did take the money and produced nothing, that is allowed under Kickstarter rules, so he wouldn't need a lawyer to do something that is 100% legal.

• Like 3

I think the saddest thing is that there are still people who are anxiously awaiting the Kickstarter to actually back it; people who avidly support Mike...who are being left out in the cold.

It's like telling a huge room full of kids that they are all adopted and that Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy all aren't real.

IF Coleco has or does pull out of the deal I can see Mike filing lawsuits left and right to people who "slandered" his name and product, blaming them for the failure of the "console".

Edited by Merendino
  • Like 5

Pretty sure Riverwest Brands Coleco doesn't care for the brand as long as it used, since its a metric for Trademarking

It depends on how River West is getting paid. They will pull the brand deal if they don't get paid.

Are they getting a flat fee for the license plus a royalty on every console and game sold? Are they just getting a royalty for every console or game sold? Did they receive a down payment when the deal was made?

The truth is probably that the majority of their compensation is to be paid after the Kickstarter is funded from the Kickstarter funds.

• Like 2

Even if it turns out Mike is in neck deep,

surely Steve Woita, Paul Wylie, Phil Adam, Ben Herman, and Steven J. Rosenbaum should have been at least generally aware.

If not some of the them what the heck are they VP for?

I doubt they were ready for the 26th, if they had a working Prototype they would be pushing this into as many reviewers as they they could to push the Kick-starter Event

Guessing they were hoping for last minute luck

Just to clarify... Mike is completely allowed to Kickstart funds to make a prototype. That's all he had to/has to do. I don't know why that was so hard for him if he lacked proto funds.

Not on Kickstarter he can't.

https://www.kickstarter.com/rules

He could have done that on IndieGoGo with the RetroVGS, but he decided that lying and misleading the community would be a better idea. It was suggested to him MANY times during that campaign that he should shut it down and create a new IndieGoGo campaign, with a significantly smaller goal, focused on getting a prototype created. The backer rewards could have been small things like stickers and such. After the photo was ready, he could come back with a campaign to build the final product. He ignored that advice and got it in his head that he could continue his lies and deceptions while hiding behind the Coleco brand.

• Like 3

Just to clarify... Mike is completely allowed to Kickstart funds to make a prototype. That's all he had to/has to do. I don't know why that was so hard for him if he lacked proto funds.

Not on Kickstarter he can't.

https://www.kickstarter.com/rules

Yes he can, this is a big source of confusion it seems: https://www.kickstarter.com/rules/prototypes

Projects that involve the development of physical products must feature explicit demos of working prototypes. While you can run a project focused on the creation of a prototype, you can't offer the product that is under development as a reward.

To Kickstart the prototype the rewards couldn't be the actual console, but they could be T-shirts, Jag/cart shells, stickers, be on the podcast, whatever - basically donations and some fun stuff for the true believers to demonstrate their faith in the project. I think this would have been the way to go, it might have failed just as spectacularly though.

• Like 1

But you see, if he were to do that now, it would only confirm everyone's suspicions that he isn't anywhere near being ready to fulfill what he was promising with the Chameleon; if he were, why raise funds for another prototype?

What gets me is ... why didn't he just crowdfund a prototype openly and honestly shortly after acquiring the Jaguar molds, instead of faking two prototypes when he really had nothing? If he had only been more truthful and more transparent, things probably wouldn't have turned out like this. The project still might have failed, but he wouldn't have wrecked his credibility and his reputation in the process.

Well well well ..... does anybody think that the lack of KS and the silence up until now it's proof enough that it was a SNES-in-a-Jag?

[although we may never know for sure unless triverse can dig that out]

I think we already had enough proof of that, but yes, their inability to answer those allegations only adds to the enormous pile of evidence.

• Like 3

But you see, if he were to do that now, it would only confirm everyone's suspicions that he isn't anywhere near being ready to fulfill what he was promising with the Chameleon; if he were, why raise funds for another prototype?

What gets me is ... why didn't he just crowdfund a prototype shortly after acquiring the Jaguar molds, openly and honestly, instead of faking two prototypes when he really had nothing? If he had only been more truthful and more transparent, things probably wouldn't have turned out like this. The project still might have failed, but it wouldn't have wrecked his credibility and his reputation.

Just a guess (which is all anyone is doing)

Ego, Hollywood, superhero delusions, general martyrdom and self-destructive tendencies.

Apple makes big splashy announcements, then ships products that sell like crazy. Startups like Facebook and Instagram are big and rich. They make it look easy. With today's technology, why can't everyone get there just by working hard and believing in oneself?

(easy answer: because it's hard)

• Like 2

That's nothing. Take a look at this:

attachicon.gifmessages.png

That's why I stopped watching (by subscription).

Well, each of those emails in my pic is actually 100 separate notification emails, if I were to click on and view them. Gmail just meshes them together automatically, if they arrive within a certain amount of time of each other. Helps cut down on getting those walls of spam like you're getting, so I guess you do have it worse...

Even if it turns out Mike is in neck deep,

surely Steve Woita, Paul Wylie, Phil Adam, Ben Herman, and Steven J. Rosenbaum should have been at least generally aware. If not some of the them what the heck are they VP for?

I'm really curious about what role (if any) these other people have played in all this. Have any of them ever given an interview or made any public statements since their involvement with the Chameleon was announced? As far as I can tell (and I admit I haven't been following as closely as many of you), Mike Kennedy has been the only one running the show and calling the shots and doing the publicity.
  • Like 2

Well, it is almost Saturday here in Europe, time to go to bed. Too bad the KickStarter didn't start yet as I was hoping to get the early bird discount before it runs out :D :P

Good night, it seems I will have to read a lot of new replies tomorrow morning...

Robert

• Like 2

I'm really curious about the role that these other people played in all this. Have any of them given interviews or made any public statements since their involvement with the Chameleon was announced? As far as I know (and I admit I haven't been following as closely as many of you), all of the publicity has been from Mike.

Have they even agreed to be profiled and used on the RVGS website in that way? Maybe VP stands for "very peripheral"

• Like 1