phoenixdownita

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

they finally updated the page. clear shell with what looks like a dev board in it

I like how they spun the toyfair response was "overwhelming". I guess technically that's true. :lolblue:

Edit: is there still electrical tape holding that poor jag cart together? looool couldn't even put the system label on straight. I'm sure someone here will be able to identify that board within the hour. Probably came out of an alarm clock

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 2

Fresh from their Facebook Page:

"We’re delaying the Kickstarter for the Coleco Chameleon to make it even better!

Last week during Toy Fair in New York, we had the opportunity to demonstrate the Coleco Chameleon to the industry, gamers and retailers for the first time. Their response was beyond anything we’d imagined. Major retailers provided feedback on the product and expressed real interest in carrying the product for the 2016 holiday season. And, very importantly, major game companies expressed interest in providing games for our system, which meant we’d need more time to solidify those partnerships and maximize the content.

Our team’s overriding goal has always been to deliver the best possible system and experience for gamers. If there’s ever anything we can do to enhance the product, we believe the extra time is worth it. Therefore, we have decided to delay the pre-sell, i.e. Kickstarter, campaign in order to finalize our prototype and work with developers on having the best possible content. This delay will not affect our overall launch date for the Coleco Chameleon.

There has also been a whirlwind of interest, speculation and curiosity regarding the insides of the Chameleon. We are delighted by this and happy to confirm that we will be releasing photographs of the system soon on our Facebook page, and we’ll focus on turning our prototype into a production-ready product.

We’ll keep you posted on any major news on our Facebook page and will let you know when we launch a pre-sell program leading up to the Christmas season. Stay tuned, and thanks for your continued support.

"

Good luck getting one when this is the hottest thing in gaming this year!

No biggie I'll just wait till they hit the overstock discount store at 75% off like I did the coleco flashback

• Like 6

One tweet by one guy doesn't prove anything. But if they get private funds the more power to them and let's see them coming up with something wortwhile. People will dissect whatever machine they end up getting so if they cheap out and/or design badly it's going to be obvious. At least the result will stand on its own merits and not on some guy's promises.

Edited by Newsdee

The only name that matters in Retro Gaming Journalism. He is the co-host of the wildly successful talk retro podcast, and reviewer of RETRO magazine. Inside tip is that this is being privately funded, so no need for Kickstarter nonsense. Hate on haters! If you want one you will have to line up like everyone else on Black Friday... Good luck getting one when this is the hottest thing in gaming this year!

I thought my BBS Textfiles made me the #1 authority in gaming journalism..

• Like 1

I'm convinced they are trying to get Checkered Flag and Trevor McFur. They may also announce a follow up to Kasumi Ninja....

This gentleman, is, the Chameleon 64!

And this is their newly acquired mascott...

post-38551-0-72326500-1456530459_thumb.jpg

Edited by RupanIII

12747414_954528807949723_141921621085710

So I don't see anything sticking out the back like it did at the toy fair and hard to see, but I don't see the metal trim around the cart port.

they need to show the back

Edited by evg2000
  • Like 4

There's a circuit board in a clear jag case with a still screenshot on a TV.

Well, I'm glad that's all cleared up!

how exactly is that clear up? That doesnt prove the board in the toy fair was not a snes mini

• Like 1

12747414_954528807949723_141921621085710

So I don't see anything sticking out the back like it did at the toy fair and hard to see, but I don't see the metal trim around the cart port.

they need to show the back

there doesnt seem to be a cable connecting to the tv either. there is some white cable coming from somewhere on the right though. probably whatever is supplying the video

Edited by mickcris
  • Like 1

New photos from the Facebook announcement. It has a power LED! The second one gives a bit of a look behind the curtain.

post-39360-0-33043800-1456530508_thumb.jpgpost-39360-0-43867200-1456545012_thumb.jpgpost-39360-0-17936200-1456530531_thumb.jpgpost-39360-0-93703400-1456530540_thumb.jpgpost-39360-0-00933100-1456530554_thumb.jpg

Many of the Kickstarter posts have just been removed, deleting all the comments on them. Could be censorship or just rewriting history.

It looks slick half transparent and half black.

But given where the led is positioned as opposed of where it should be positioned (even just roughly) it still extremely fishy of what are we actually see.

• Like 1

Whatever that is posted to the Facebook page in the clear shell is 100 percent NOT anything that was shown at the Toy Fair.

Doesn't show the cart is actually plugged into an edge connector.

Doesn't show the controller is actually functional on the system.

Doesn't show the video out coming from the actual console.

Doesn't show the AC\DC input.

Does have an LED on board, something that was too complicated for them a week ago.

Does have a clear shell, not a black one hiding a super nintendo.

Does have USB ports, not "hardwired" snes contollers.

Does fit inside the jagaur shell, not wrapped in electrical tape hiding the snes rear panel.

Does still smell like total bullshit.

• Like 13

sigh.... bet that "menu" is nothing more than a bitmap or jpeg chilling on a thumb drive or a computer plugged up to the tv. Probably why this got posted so late in the day. Mike probably spent the afternoon doing a quick arts and crafts project again.

• Like 6