IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

You're right. I can see it in another picture. However, the board has a large ribbon cable connector in the front that seems to block where the USB ports would attach to the board.

That isn't really a problem, the USB connectors go down through the board so that 0.1" IDE type connector wouldn't be in the way.

it doesnt even matter what the board is anymore. all that matters is that its a total lie. it could be a fucking soundblaster live in there for all we know, but i know one thing, if they were prototyping something like this in 2016 (and clearly they did no prototyping of this in 2015, as we know), i seriously doubt it would have upwards of 10 caps on it. mike kennedy, if you're reading this thread, please stop this ridiculousness.

• Like 11

Maybe someone with more "knowledgeable" eyes can eventually identify the board inside, but it's pretty blurry through that shell, and it seems like one could spend endless hours speculating and guessing.

So, at the very least, he has something different than what was shown at the toy fair. Whether this is legit or just a crap board in a shell as a further cover up remains to be seen. If it is legit or a custom job that is at least functional, posting a clear picture of that would help quiet some of the rabble.

"No preexisting consoles were harmed in the making of this prototype".

Everything that has happened so far has me leaning toward crap in a box though....

Maybe we should shift the focus: so what if they have a dev or proto board? This was all triggered by them bringing out the SNES Jr., but if you ignore that there is less here than the "quick demo" of the Retro VGS.

I don't think these guys have anything. If they did they wouldn't be scared of showing it off to anybody who asks just to prove them wrong. I think they (or Carlsen) claimed in the past they're worried somebody will steal their design, which is ridiculous given 1/ the amount of similar hardware already in existence and 2/ you can code an FPGA with your complex HDL code and it will still look the same to the naked eye.

IMO without any kind of specs announced on paper it is still vaporware, no matter how many Jag shells with pcb and lipstick they put on display.

• Like 1

CUPodcast led me here and i haven't left all day......

I need to see this now....I...I cant look away...

This guy is a goddamned beautiful disaster lol

BTW I've been lurking and this community is great! Really glad to have joined.

If he can pull this off (he can't) he'll have one hell of an uphill battle because of all this deceit..

• Like 7

It doesn't really matter what happens from here on out unless he has legit investors because now he's likely pissed off a good portion of his blind fanboys by waiting until after his KS was supposed to launch to announce its delay. He got people pumped up only to not be able to produce yet again and there's only so many times he can do that before he's just the boy who cried wolf. Even if delaying the KS is a good thing, the way he did it was really shitty and eventually people just stop caring. I'm actually at a loss for words at how it all went down today and how they threw a clear Jag shell over the board yet again to hide a "prototype" that likely doesn't exist. The same shit we saw months ago. At this point, nothing short of the real thing is going to appease anyone and he knows this and we know he only hides things when he's lying. I almost wonder at this point if he's just playing with himself at the computer because he gets off on the attention/hate and is just stringing his detractors and supporters along.

I'm waiting to see what Triverse has to say, and I hope it's good, because today is the day this shit jumped the shark, even for someone like me who has been along for the whole ride. I always had a theory, not sure if I stated it or not, that Mike was fixated by this Toy Fair and due to him being a total idiot with no know how in any aspect at all of how to make a video game console because that was his only chance to try to leech onto some rich prick that'll give him a free ride. Either that did happen or it didn't, it's too early to say, but that could have been his main goal to begin with once he aligned himself with Coleco. He had nothing, and in a last ditch attempt, he put on a facade to try to coax investors. Maybe if Toys R Us was interested, the Coleco people would have funded the console. What I'm saying is, maybe a looming KS was always another bullshit lie that he planned to go through with, in the event something great or even decent came out of the Toy Fair. But he needed a free foot in the door at that Toy Fair, even if games weren't the focal point, for a desperate man who needs big money to pay others to make his dream, it was the closest thing he'll ever come to anyone with decent stroke in stores. It's totally apparent every "industry vet" on his team is either along for the ride in hoping of a cheap pay day in the end or is as absolutely useless as he is.

• Like 9

CUPodcast led me here and i haven't left all day......

I need to see this now....I...I cant look away...

This guy is a goddamned beautiful disaster lol

BTW I've been lurking and this community is great! Really glad to have joined.

If he can pull this off (he can't) he'll have one hell of an uphill battle because of all this deceit..

Welcome! This is a great place to talk retro games and consoles...especially Atari (though the Intellivision community is strong here too). It is more than just the Coleco Chameleon debacle that we talk about here!

By the way, LOVE your avatar pic!

• Like 1

I give up for now trying to figure out what that board is. Im convinced though he just threw some piece of junk board that was laying around inside the system and wired up an LED.

Ditto. Not worth more of my time. It doesn't look new to me, though.

If there's a pool, I'll vote that the board is from 2008 and is a computer card, perhaps for I/O or video. The LED, however, is from 1983.

• Like 3

How much of today was jumping the shark? Seems like the same old song and dance smoke and mirrors unless proven otherwise.

Yea... I'd like to see what Triverse as to say too, but it is going to be off to bed soon and a busy day tomorrow, which means I'll have about 150-200 posts to catch up on, especially if there is more drama.

Keep in mind, getting a one-off of a custom PCB is not terribly expensive(significantly more expensive than mass production, but "affordable"). They could spend a few hundred dollars on a "custom" PCB to fit the shell that still doesn't actually do anything.

lol, Hannacek beat me to the punch by a few seconds.

Though credit to them, they've least gotten better at the deception. If they had presented this at the toy fair, chances are we might be having a totally different conversation. But now everyone is too skeptical to fool as easily.

But are Mike and Co actually competent enough to lay out the Gerber files or whatever software they use to send off for a custom "dummy" circuit board that fits the profile of the shell, and is populated with parts that do nothing? Seems an exceedingly high amount of effort to post a fake proof of concept photo on Facebook. But then again, insanity and common sense are one in the same in retroland.

Either it's an off the shelf board of XYZ part scavenged from Lord knows where, or they actually really do have something meaningful crammed in there. If I had to hedge my bets, I would bid on the former. But i do have a secret wish that maybe there is a tiny sliver of hope they have done something right for once.

It doesn't really matter what happens from here on out unless he has legit investors because now he's likely pissed off a good portion of his blind fanboys by waiting until after his KS was supposed to launch to announce its delay. He got people pumped up only to not be able to produce yet again and there's only so many times he can do that before he's just the boy who cried wolf. Even if delaying the KS is a good thing, the way he did it was really shitty and eventually people just stop caring. I'm actually at a loss for words at how it all went down today and how they threw a clear Jag shell over the board yet again to hide a "prototype" that likely doesn't exist. The same shit we saw months ago. At this point, nothing short of the real thing is going to appease anyone and he knows this and we know he only hides things when he's lying. I almost wonder at this point if he's just playing with himself at the computer because he gets off on the attention/hate and is just stringing his detractors and supporters along.

I'm waiting to see what Triverse has to say, and I hope it's good, because today is the day this shit jumped the shark, even for someone like me who has been along for the whole ride. I always had a theory, not sure if I stated it or not, that Mike was fixated by this Toy Fair and due to him being a total idiot with no know how in any aspect at all of how to make a video game console because that was his only chance to try to leech onto some rich prick that'll give him a free ride. Either that did happen or it didn't, it's too early to say, but that could have been his main goal to begin with once he aligned himself with Coleco. He had nothing, and in a last ditch attempt, he put on a facade to try to coax investors. Maybe if Toys R Us was interested, the Coleco people would have funded the console. What I'm saying is, maybe a looming KS was always another bullshit lie that he planned to go through with, in the event something great or even decent came out of the Toy Fair. But he needed a free foot in the door at that Toy Fair, even if games weren't the focal point, for a desperate man who needs big money to pay others to make his dream, it was the closest thing he'll ever come to anyone with decent stroke in stores. It's totally apparent every "industry vet" on his team is either along for the ride in hoping of a cheap pay day in the end or is as absolutely useless as he is.

I am waiting readily for triverse's post too....

I dont think even a rich investor could save it now because of a few things

1) He has ruined his own credibiliaty

2) He pretty much ruined the credibility of his product with the hack jobs

3) There isnt even a market for this because every "retro" style game is available on other, better platforms

Edited by Natimus

It seems like a lot of people are still giving them the benefit of the doubt for some reason. I dont know why anyone would believe that what they just posted on facebook is a real working prototype. How many chances are people going to give them? I know this does not apply to most here, but I have seen some posts where people are thinking its maybe real. The only reason they delayed the kickstarter was cause we figured out they didn't have a prototype. They had 2 weeks to throw their new "prototype" together to make it look more legit. Their reason for the kickstarter delay makes no sense.

• Like 3

Welcome! This is a great place to talk retro games and consoles...especially Atari (though the Intellivision community is strong here too). It is more than just the Coleco Chameleon debacle that we talk about here!

By the way, LOVE your avatar pic!

Thank you and Ive noticed and plan to make it a daily visit...

Gotta love a community thats welcoming and (obviously) looking out for their own..

Making sure people have the information they need.

Also Stop,Drop,Retro, love the videos of cheap knockoff stuff and the titles for the rvgs vids...

• Like 1

Anyone want to give good old Kevin Bow a "poke" on Facebook and make sure he is all right tonight? Today was, like, his Xmas Morning.

Kevin Bow gave them the "Heart Like" thing you can now choose on Facebook! Next on the list is Roberta!

They are either fake accounts or Mike his using some kind of mind control.